PDA

View Full Version : Chase across the channel, Blenheims outrun my Emil !

He111
10-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Ok, i just played the British bomber intercept mission. Shot at 2 before they dropped theor bombs but on their way home, i was hard pressed to catch 'em! :o .. in fact i never caught them and gave up! I tried dives & booms, max acceleration, leaning forward .. nothing helped! :eek:

I realise empty bombers can be fast .. but Blenheims!

Codex
10-14-2011, 12:48 AM
What speed were you getting? Maybe you had the wrong PP setting or rads fully open.

The Blenheim was designed as a high speed bomber but I wouldn't think it would be able outrun an Emil.

He111
10-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Rads weren't open, i don't think, everything else was default. i don't think my engine was damaged ? no smoke etc.

I have noticed sometimes, if I start a mission and my Joystick accelerator is set at max / high then that appears to be the setting for standard engine revs, ie i can never push the engine any higher or to the extreme. I realise the Emil's Daimler was a low rever but I have the same problem with british planes.

I assumed if you push the accelerator to the max, you should hear the engine very loudly and about to explode ?? maybe that's just Italian planes ? :grin:

Redroach
10-14-2011, 01:14 AM
cool story! I just did in excess of 650km/h in a shallow dive in my Emil, trying to catch some fleeing Spitfire (got her, speedwise, of course). The airframe starts to talk at that speed...

He111
10-14-2011, 03:04 AM
red-ick-u-lous, AI Emils can catch AI blenheims easy, from any height, all expect the player, which gets left in the dust ... My daimler engine is on ritalin I think, cannot get anything out of her expect a low hum.

I think this is the slow-player bug?

JG14_Jagr
10-14-2011, 03:12 AM
What speed were YOU able to get from your Emil.. the wrong power/blade pitch and trim settings will slow you a ton.. If you don't know how fast you were going its pointless to complain about the speed.. first thing is to make sure you were getting close to 100% of the performance you should have been getting by having the Emil configured properly..

He111
10-14-2011, 03:34 AM
I've just checked, I have complex engine management - OFF .. so I shouldn't have to worry about prop pitch ?

The problem I'm having is no acceleration, whether hitting the gas (no engine rev increase) or nose down ?

i'll re-check joystick settings ..

-----

additional...

Joystick throttle looks ok - OUT 0.53, IN 0.00

Just re-played the scenario and my Emil flew rings around the Blenhiems! ?? I give up!

Codex
10-14-2011, 04:00 AM
You may have thought you were a full throttle but actually weren't. I know it can be over the top but I regularly calibrate my g940 even though I know it's working correctly. Just to be sure ;)

xnomad
10-14-2011, 04:38 AM
Yep I came here to say the same. Check that your throttle axis is calibrated correctly. I once had my lowest throttle setting on 20% instead of 0% and therefore couldn't start the Tiger Moth as it was too much throttle. Someone here recommended turning on the digital throttle display on the GUI to trouble shoot this.

machoo
10-14-2011, 06:15 AM
I fly with all the realistic settings off because I play with a keyboard ( I have to slow things down to have a chance when aiming ) but do you still need to worry about radiators ect to get the extra speed? I have a hard time catching upto bombers too after a head on pass . With fighters they often just pull away if i'm behind them.

David198502
10-14-2011, 06:43 AM
I've just checked, I have complex engine management - OFF .. so I shouldn't have to worry about prop pitch ?

The problem I'm having is no acceleration, whether hitting the gas (no engine rev increase) or nose down ?

i'll re-check joystick settings ..

-----

additional...

Joystick throttle looks ok - OUT 0.53, IN 0.00

Just re-played the scenario and my Emil flew rings around the Blenhiems! ?? I give up!

maybe thats the problem...flying without complex engine management.:confused:
im not sure, cause i always fly with it enabled, but i can remember that after a full reinstall of CLOD i forgot to adjust the realism settings before i flew the first sortie and realised that my Emil seemed to be pretty slow.after i changed the settings again, the problem was gone......

but i had an interesting incident a while back...i flew a self made offline mission over the channel.one bf for the player, 12spits,12hurris and 12 beaufighters.all ai enemies have the default skills. i always use that mission for the quick fun, as i start in the air and have immediately 36 enemies around me...however im really used to this mission as i play it really often and know how the ai planes normally behave. but someday one hurri suddenly seperated from its group and began do climb.they do that pretty often, followed by some rolls and dives. but this time the hurri keeped climbing from 500 meters(where all planes have their first waypoint) to over 3k, while proceeding wide turns.first i thought that its only a matter of some few seconds until i will catch and shoot it, like its used to be, but i just couldnt catch the hurri.at about 3k the hurri leveled off and kept altitude.i still couldnt get close enough, and it kept a distance of approximately 500 meters to me.after a while it began to dive, i followed the dive but it was still as fast as me and the distance was unchanged. finally the hurri regrouped with its comrades, and suddenly seemed to change its behaviour.i had the whole swarm in front of me, but focused only on that ai bastard who just outclimbed,outran and outdived me.i came into shooting distance and gave him a burst.he tried to roll and climb again,and although my shots missed him, he all of a sudden wasnt able anymore to escape.

i remember luthier saying about the ai in cliffs of dover, that one can never know if your enemy is a rookie or an ace.maybe the game sometimes selects by coincidence an ace even if you gave the ai a certain skill level.

MD_Titus
10-14-2011, 07:19 AM
CEM off equals slower planes, ut seems that the main effect is to disable prop pitch controls and limit your maximum rpm. this is certainly the case with the spits in the two sorties I flew with it off. Turn CEM on but keep overheating off if you want a simpler learning curve.

Raggz
10-14-2011, 07:53 AM
If it was the E-4 check that the prop pitch is moving. I have noticed that the automatic prop pitch sometimes get stuck when it's auto set lower than 9.