PDA

View Full Version : External sounds audible in cockpit with engine running?

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-12-2011, 11:21 PM
I would like to learn what the community thinks about the fact that in cockpit and engine running we still can hear external sounds like the engines of other planes, flak explosions, ...

CWMV
10-12-2011, 11:37 PM
Well I cant speak for the merlins but modern 109 Pilots talk of how quiet the 109 is, so ya why not.

GOZR
10-12-2011, 11:39 PM
And missing actually the winds buffets !!!

Skoshi Tiger
10-12-2011, 11:49 PM
Can't vote as the questions are loaded towards a specific outcome for the poll.

You should have had. "Yes, but only where sound(s) could realistically be heard under the ambient conditions."

Cheers!

droz
10-13-2011, 12:48 AM
Just curious if you have ever actually flown a real aircraft. If you have, then you'd realize that you can hear all sorts of sounds outside the cockpit.

proton45
10-13-2011, 01:17 AM

You should have had. "Yes, but only where sound(s) could realistically be heard under the ambient conditions."

Cheers!

I AGREE...with your observation here, Skoshi Tiger...if the sounds heard from outside the cockpit are "realistically" represented, then fine...they should be heard. The machine gun's (being fired) can be heard over the engine. Ive read that, being hit by AP makes a different sound then HE...as 50 cal and 20mm make different sounds.

Anyway...I think the point is made.

LoBiSoMeM
10-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Just curious if you have ever actually flown a real aircraft. If you have, then you'd realize that you can hear all sorts of sounds outside the cockpit.

+2302127398218581209320183091283091283091283091283 091283... :rolleyes:

smink1701
10-13-2011, 03:10 AM
since in a real plane you might feel the flaps and landing gear but are missing that opportunity here, sound is the next best alternative.

Madfish
10-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Well I cant speak for the merlins but modern 109 Pilots talk of how quiet the 109 is, so ya why not.

I voted: No, not hearing external sounds.

However, there is some sense in aboves post. Generally I'd prefer the sounds to be REALISTIC

If that means not hearing or hearing external sounds in specific planes I don't care.

What I find utterly disturbing is opening the canope and hearing literally all sounds around me. Wind needs to be much stronger and probably the engine as well.

The sound engine could be much better and to some degree I fear that some will cheat and exploit this again like in the old IL-2.

Cheers!
! THIS !

CWMV
10-13-2011, 04:48 AM
Realistic in that you can hear whats going on around your plane, right?

And gun sounds are a no brainer. I guess that most just haven't been around the types of weaponry we have in game but there is very little on this earth that can totally drown out the sound of an M240b, M2, or 25mm cannon. And Id bet dollars to doughnuts that these piston engines aren't on that oh so short list.

David198502
10-13-2011, 05:24 AM
im still not really sure if its realistic or not, to hear outside noise while beeing in the cockpit...can you hear other planes when they are really close in reality?can you hear gunfire from other planes?should you be able to perceive explosions when planes hit the ground?if all that is not realistic, then i would vote for make the sounds optional, cause im all for realism and would therefore play without them, but they are really nice and it would be a pity to delete them completely.

so i didnt vote

klem
10-13-2011, 06:35 AM

Cheers!

+1

No-brainer

Redroach
10-13-2011, 07:16 AM
I take the "Yes" votes (including mine) as a form of protest against the ongoing stupidity of those folks

AA_Absolute
10-13-2011, 11:50 AM
No, no and no...

Boring to death of IL2 "sonic radar".

In IL2 lots of virtual pilots preventing sneak attacks hearing other planes engine by "special" audio configurations, i hate it. One of the bad unresolved bugs of IL2.

S!

ATAG_Snapper
10-13-2011, 12:08 PM

I've never flown any of the aircraft featured in Cliffs of Dover, but I've flown a North American Harvard. It's a WW2-era aircraft and you cannot hear a thing over the engine sound other than the radio speaker in your helmet. Perhaps Merlins, DB601's, and Jumos, etc. are significantly quieter in the cockpit than P&W Wasp radial engines -- that I wouldn't know.

That said, I didn't vote since there was no realism option offered in this poll. Otherwise, it's a fair question IMHO.

EDIT: Brian Lane in his book "Spitfire!" comments that he can hear near-bursting AA fire - something worth consideration in CoD.

SYN_Repent
10-13-2011, 02:09 PM
I've never flown any of the aircraft featured in Cliffs of Dover, but I've flown a North American Harvard. It's a WW2-era aircraft and you cannot hear a thing over the engine sound other than the radio speaker in your helmet. Perhaps Merlins, DB601's, and Jumos, etc. are significantly quieter in the cockpit than P&W Wasp radial engines -- that I wouldn't know.

in this example YOU didnt hear a thing over the engine sound, but YOU didnt have 8 browning .303's to fire, or 6 .50 cals firing at you, or other high performance aircraft engines screaming past you.

Flanker35M
10-13-2011, 02:59 PM
S!

Just remove that damned sonar from the game. Not a single veteran I have talked to mentioned they could HEAR an enemy plane approaching. They relied on their eyes and therefore had a CONSTANT look around.

pupo162
10-13-2011, 03:04 PM

well i couldnt hear absolutely nothing but my plane whinning.. .and not that big of an engine too.

SYN_Repent
10-13-2011, 03:29 PM
this is it, again....pupo, what situation was you in in order for there to be louder sounds than an airplane engine around you??

pupo162
10-13-2011, 03:32 PM
this is it, again....pupo, what situation was you in in order for there to be louder sounds than an airplane engine around you??

well... the closest ive been to a situation where in il2 you can hear ambient sounds was formation flying within 3 meters from other plane. No noise. not even when we trolled up and breaked formation. Also, they didnt hear as sneaking in behind and shitted the crap of my other mate when we suddently popped up next to them saying hi.

But no, i havnet fired 20mm cannons from my plane ( wich i voted to be on), flew 109 with a spitfire firing behind me, had a 109 zooming pass me, nor AAA shoot at me. to young for that i guess.

ATAG_Snapper
10-13-2011, 04:51 PM
in this example YOU didnt hear a thing over the engine sound, but YOU didnt have 8 browning .303's to fire, or 6 .50 cals firing at you, or other high performance aircraft engines screaming past you.

Good point. I've been on firing lines with, at different times, 7.62 or 5.56 semi-automatic fire on either side which was loud enough. Likewise, I've worked the target pits where even at 300 meters downrange the reports were also very loud. That's my only base for reference. I believe you would certainly hear, albeit muffled due to engine noise and padded helmet, automatic fire from wing-mounted guns and possibly fire directed at you from immediately behind.

I do NOT believe you would hear another aircraft's engine coming up behind you as we can in CoD. Another aircraft roaring close by, very possibly -- but I doubt very much from behind. This has saved my bacon a few times in CoD because I've heard a 109 on my six lining me up and I've broke just in time. But I've never heard a Spit or Hurri pilot claim he HEARD a 109 or 190 doing this. Have you?

droz
10-13-2011, 06:13 PM
So, there are several factors you have to think about in this situation.

1. Is the airplane pressurized?
2. What type of headset are you using?
3. Current day ANR headsets drown out external noise.
4. The list goes on.

The complicated answer to this is, back then, aircraft were not pressurized, engines may have been loud, but they did not drown out everything.

Sound waves move in a direction, and decrease or increase in intensity based on several factors.

As a real pilot, when I choose to, I can remove my headset, open the window, and I can hear all sorts of sounds outside of the cockpit. Many times I have opened the window and hear a plane passing by.

In the 1940's, they did not have ANR headsets, and typically, it was just a couple of small speakers inside earmuffs. It's that simple. No noise reduction, nothing to really keep the sounds out. In many ways, what was used was no better than wearing nothing.

So, to keep it simple, I'd prefer realistic. Realistic, in this case, is being able to hear the engines, the wind, and guns firing, you name it. Sound travels. It's more powerful than you think. This is not space. These are not pressurized aircraft. It's that simple.

Trooper117
10-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Pilots personal accounts from shed loads of reports and books, too many to mention.. in particular with Hurri's and Spits with Merlins, the engine noise was extremely loud, even with flying helmets on, and remember, they didn't have the noise cancelling helmets that are available now, plus, why do you think the BBMF pilots all wear modern helmets?
MG and cannon fire could be plainly heard inside the cockpit, along with effects from the recoil from the guns.
As to pilots mentioning hearing approaching aircraft, well, I can't remember reading anything about that aspect..

ATAG_Snapper
10-13-2011, 06:43 PM
So, there are several factors you have to think about in this situation.

1. Is the airplane pressurized?
2. What type of headset are you using?
3. Current day ANR headsets drown out external noise.
4. The list goes on.

The complicated answer to this is, back then, aircraft were not pressurized, engines may have been loud, but they did not drown out everything.

Sound waves move in a direction, and decrease or increYase in intensity based on several factors.

As a real pilot, when I choose to, I can remove my headset, open the window, and I can hear all sorts of sounds outside of the cockpit. Many times I have opened the window and hear a plane passing by.

In the 1940's, they did not have ANR headsets, and typically, it was just a couple of small speakers inside earmuffs. It's that simple. No noise reduction, nothing to really keep the sounds out. In many ways, what was used was no better than wearing nothing.

So, to keep it simple, I'd prefer realistic. Realistic, in this case, is being able to hear the engines, the wind, and guns firing, you name it. Sound travels. It's more powerful than you think. This is not space. These are not pressurized aircraft. It's that simple.

Droz, one thing puzzles me. You make no specific mention of aircraft/engine type, just a general "the list goes on". ????

If I'm driving a Honda Civic down the highway how could that compare in any way to an all-out fuelie roaring down the quarter mile strip? To say "engines may have been loud" is an understatement. Do the aircraft you fly actually compare to their noise levels? Do not modern civil aircraft have to conform to specific noise levels? I defer to your experience as a real pilot and only ask this as a "are we not comparing apples to oranges?" - type of question when it comes to relative noise levels. I served two years in the Cdn Artillery (105mm field howitzers) so I have a good idea of what loud is -- and I'm saying the Harvard is LOUD! :)

droz
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
Oh, the Harvard is loud. I'm lucky enough to fly out of an fbo that houses 3 jack roush p51's. I have heard those things. I understand they are loud. I've heard them up close too. I can compare them to the 172's and seminole I fly. Is honestly say the 51 is louder, though not oppresively so. As such, I can clearly hear other things around me. I was fortunate enough to be ten feet away when the 51 started a runup once. I could audibly hear other things around me without issue.

JG5_emil
10-13-2011, 07:14 PM
It's absurd. I've flown real aircraft and once the engine is running and my headset was on I couldn't hear anything outside the cockpit

klem
10-13-2011, 07:23 PM

Never mind what you guys THINK you know about aircraft you haven't flown. Get this reaction from a WWII BoB pilot:

Me: Could you hear other aircraft from inside the Spit cockpit?

KW: No. [Looked at me a little strangely as if he really wanted to say, of course not, what a silly question. [So flyby sounds within closed cockpit need to be disabled or at least made optional in the realism menu.]

full interview:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26512

Note also his comments about warmed engines btw (sorry, OT)

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-13-2011, 07:24 PM
That's also my impression. And I was just sitting in a lousy Cessna ...

I dunno however if one could hear one's own machine gun firing as the Cessna had none installed :(

That's why I added the option gun sounds.

If you want to know if a fighter pilot could have heared a pilot behind him ask a veteran. Oh wait this was done many times. Not one of all accounts that I have read ever mentioned that they could hear other planes with their own engine running. In contrary they all concorde in that they could not hear it.

I however concede that the first option is badly phrased. Blame it on me not being perfect in English.

ElAurens
10-13-2011, 07:49 PM
I've flown in a B-25 both in front (flight engineer's position) during run up, and in one of the waist gunner positions in flight.

Absolutely the loudest thing I have ever done.

If you were not on the intercom headset and wanted to talk to someone you had to SCREAM directly into their uncovered ear to be understood above the din.

I'm sure you could hear the sounds of the guns if you were the operator, but if you were the pilot and the waist or tail gunner opened up you would feel it (possibly) but not hear it. Even when we were taxiing out to the active, nearby civilian light aircraft could not be heard. Standing outside of a warbird is in no way comparable to being inside one. By comparison, the cockpit of a Cessna 172 is as quiet as a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud.

Upthair
10-14-2011, 03:15 AM
The tail SONAR again for cheating in IL-2 COD? No! for the sake of 'simulation'. A new generation of flight simulation should by no means let its sounds go arcade.

The wonderful fly-by sounds can be heard when the outside view is chosen, offline and online on an outside view enabled server. So those sounds are not lost if people can't hear them in cockpit.

pupo162
10-14-2011, 03:53 PM
well... the closest ive been to a situation where in il2 you can hear ambient sounds was formation flying within 3 meters from other plane. No noise. not even when we trolled up and breaked formation. Also, they didnt hear as sneaking in behind and shitted the crap of my other mate when we suddently popped up next to them saying hi.

But no, i havnet fired 20mm cannons from my plane ( wich i voted to be on), flew 109 with a spitfire firing behind me, had a 109 zooming pass me, nor AAA shoot at me. to young for that i guess.

jsut remenberes 2 other situations where i could hear 0. whilst taxing i had an helciopter fly over, 10 meters ahead, 10 over me, i was idle at this point as a tower command, and while taxing i had an antoher aircraift take off on opposite direction maybe 40 meters way or so, in this case i was 1000 rpm - 1/4 thorttle or so, and he was obviosly full power.