PDA

View Full Version : Map & Navigation

Bullit
10-11-2011, 07:49 PM
Is there a way of having the map only display the flight path and relevant objectives including AA concentrations etc (No plane icons)

I have tried ticking and unticking the three 'Map Icon', buttons in turn, in the Realism settings without being able to achieve this lay out. (I find there is either too much info or not enough, I would like to try to orientate myself to the objective, but still have the flight path avialable for reference, as per what would be a real operational map Iam assuming)

Sorry in advance if the answer is obvious:confused:

Redroach
10-11-2011, 09:11 PM
hmm there is no direct function as you describe it, but you could do the following:
-Switch off all navigational aids in difficulty settings
-open the cockpit map, right-click it and select the map tools
-with those, you could somewhat reproduce your flightpath (I believe); the tools are fairly self-explaining.

Bullit
10-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Thank you Redroach, I will try this but iam assuming one will have to go by memory from the briefing screen plus the AI pilots seem to take Off immediately on mission launch, if so will have to play around with the in game map whilst flying, unless the pause button will still allow map functions.

Bullit
10-12-2011, 08:16 PM
Thank you cheesehawk, that sounds like a workable option, will try that tomorrow didn't get a chance to jump on tonight.

adonys
10-13-2011, 04:40 AM
Actually, we would need to have some static custom objects be depicted on the map in full realism, eventually some of them from the beginning and some of them only after reporting.

Or.. Have the possibility to custom paint the map in real time (like in some RTS'es in which you can draw plans on minimal for all your allies to see.

Bullit
10-14-2011, 10:23 AM
I believe you need all the objects selected in Realism, but after you enter the game, you can right click on the map, and turn objects you don't want off, like freindly ground, enemy air, etc.

Thank you Cheesehawk that worked a treat.

All I need to work out now is how to get a heading at each waypoint using the tools, rather than trying to guesstimate what the headings are... :confused:
Any help would be appreciated:)

Trooper117
10-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Headings.. before you hit fly, make sure you write down the different headings on a piece of paper or even on your hand for each waypoint..
Use one of the many transparent compass rose templates that are available, I've even marked out a makeshift rose on a piece of transparent sheet with all the obvious points of the compass marked out in perma pen.. no more guessing..

trumps
10-14-2011, 11:33 AM
The inflight map has tools listed in it's options, select this and a small tool bar appears, this tool bar includes a protractor to work out your headings. Just click the protractor and then click it on your map waypoint, drag the pointer from the first waypoint to the second and let it go. Then re click on the first waypoint and drag a vertical line up the map, just parallel to a grid line and the drop it. You should then have a number appear at the initial way point, subtract this number from 360 and you will have your heading.
There is also a ruler function that gives you a distance in km between waypoints. With these the cockpit clock, and a steady speed you should be able to nav you way around ok. Obviously there will be variances due to indicated airspeed vs true, and wind/ drift, but hey, rough enough for the bush, don't really want to have to go to the effort of dragging out my old flight computer to play a game ;)

Hope some of the above shite helps

Craig

Bullit
10-14-2011, 06:22 PM
Thank you Trooper/Trumps I will give this a go and practice must be very satisfying when it all comes together.