PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire taxi troubles for beginner

coolts
10-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Guys

I have decided to jump in at the deep end and learn with full realism.

After downloading Fleas excellent checklists and watching umpteen YouTube clips, I can now start the spitfire. Sort of. I have created a simple mission.

Nothing fancy, a cold start, take-off, a few waypoints and a landing. Now as a beginner I’ve hit a strange snag.

(latest beta patch BTW v1.04.15866)

When I start moving, (release wheel brakes), I start to drift to the left out of the hanger and cannot turn right towards the runway. With full right rudder I go straight ahead! Is this the wind+torque?

There is also a grinding noise like I am dragging something metal behind me. Are there chocks in place by default? How can I taxi to take-off if I can’t turn right? ;)

My axes are okay and in the external views, all control surfaces are doing what they are supposed to do.

Its something daft isn’t it? :confused:

recoilfx
10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
You must apply your differential braking while steering rudders when taxing, just as a real life spitfire.

ATAG_Snapper
10-11-2011, 02:02 PM
All is fine. Neither the Spitfire nor Hurricane had toe brakes. You have to apply brakes AND push the rudder towards the direction you wish to turn. Once you're on the take off roll and have acquired speed (above 45 mph) your rudder alone with now have some control authority and you won't need differential brakes to keep the nose straight.

As for the Spits, careful when applying brakes on a fast roll to avoid tipping on your nose; the same applies with giving full throttle with brakes applied.

coolts
10-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I think i've sussed it. My RPM's were way too low and i was going too slow to have any rudder authority. Damn, this aint Falcon! ;) Learning

Bokononist
10-11-2011, 02:38 PM
I think i've sussed it. My RPM's were way too low and i was going too slow to have any rudder authority. Damn, this aint Falcon! ;) Learning

Glad you've sorted your taxiing issues, on the subject of your Sig I noticed that you state that your Fenrir is blocking your RAM slots. A friend of mine who had the same issue solved it by moving his fan to the other side of the cooler in a 'pull' configuration. His temps are fine, excellent in fact. He's running a last gen i5 at stock clocks. Hope this helps.

coolts
10-11-2011, 03:42 PM
Glad you've sorted your taxiing issues, on the subject of your Sig I noticed that you state that your Fenrir is blocking your RAM slots. A friend of mine who had the same issue solved it by moving his fan to the other side of the cooler in a 'pull' configuration. His temps are fine, excellent in fact. He's running a last gen i5 at stock clocks. Hope this helps.

Cheers for the advice. I tried that but as ive overclocked this CPU to the max, the temps were just too high for comfort. I dont think i will go above 6gb till i go Ivy Bridge next spring to be honest.

Phazon
10-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Hi Coolts,

In regards to that grinding noise you are talking about, its more than likely the sound of your engine running rough because it has not had enough time to warm up properly.

To warm it up shut the radiators to allow the engine to heat itself up a little. Give it a little throttle as it gets warmer to speed up the process, although pull back if you hear it running rough. You should be right to take off once the radiator is showing 100 degrees, don't forget to open the radiator when you power up to take-off speed.

CardboardSword
10-12-2011, 01:53 PM
I find after your oil temp is just above 40 the engine runs fine. The cooler the, well, coolant is the better, but it's cold oil that makes the engine complain.