PDA

View Full Version : Salvation for ClOD ?

GOZR
10-11-2011, 05:57 AM
Well do you think a SDK could save the IL2 ClOD?
I'm looking at the maps in CloD and I have some confused feelings...

Sample:
http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/mapClOD1.jpg

http://i426.photobucket.com/albums/pp344/GOZR/mapClOD2.jpg

Now I'm looking at the maps we made and others made for IL2 1946 and I'm thinking about an SDK or some kind of way to the map building incorporating , it would do some real good to the Sim and interest.. CLOD team seems a bit over worked but with a big talented community and the new materiel in hand it will really help.. What do you think ?

Feathered_IV
10-11-2011, 07:15 AM
SDK would help clod immensely.

Curious about the resources required to run that ugly little map smoothly. What is it about Wings of Prey's engine that let's them pack so much into an identical area?

JG52Krupi
10-11-2011, 07:34 AM
A good visual engine and pretty much nothing else... Simple as that.

ZaltysZ
10-11-2011, 08:08 AM
Now I'm looking at the maps we made and others made for IL2 1946 and I'm thinking about an SDK or some kind of way to the map building incorporating , it would do some real good to the Sim and interest.

IL2 1946 is stable product, which is carefully extended by DT or modders. I don't want to call IL2 CoD a stable one. It still may change a lot, and maybe even drastically. This complicates creation of SDK and its usage. You can imagine, how hurtful it could be to spend lots of your own free time on some project of yours, and then find that newest patch completely breaks it. Forcing devs to honor backward compatibility isn't a solution in this stage too: that could be very limiting and slowing down development tremendously.

Trooper117
10-11-2011, 09:09 AM
Yes, would love to see some of the talented people out there making decent maps with the SDK, but I think Zalty is right, no point getting stuck into something that is likely to change at some point..

5./JG27.Farber
10-11-2011, 10:45 PM
You know theres a channel map obviously... Its Battle of Britain, what more do you want? Theres France and Britain.

More maps will come with expansions... Now you might say "But they are too busy working on performance and tweeking..." but isnt the Russia expansion ( Battle for Moscow?) being done by a third party?

Plus there has to be a Mediterranean, maybe even pacific. These things dont happen overnight...

GOZR
10-11-2011, 11:37 PM
Yes true JG27.Farber "More maps will come with expansions"
But if they make it til then :) a little push would help..

speculum jockey
10-12-2011, 12:11 AM
You know theres a channel map obviously... Its Battle of Britain, what more do you want? Theres France and Britain.

More maps will come with expansions... Now you might say "But they are too busy working on performance and tweeking..." but isnt the Russia expansion ( Battle for Moscow?) being done by a third party?

Plus there has to be a Mediterranean, maybe even pacific. These things dont happen overnight...

Having to fly across the channel to finally get in a dogfight is sometimes not an option for people who only have an hour to play before reality calls. Smaller skirmish maps are a necessity.

I started a thread about implementing a "Capture the Flag" mode and asked people to give their ideas with regards to different map ideas and game modes. There are some really great ideas that the comminuty came up with in this thread.

Here: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18941

Ataros
10-12-2011, 06:32 AM
2 new network maps are not that bad imho. I love Steppe in particular.

O_Smiladon
10-12-2011, 07:01 AM
COD is on an updated IL2 Engine ,,nothing new....

hiro
10-12-2011, 07:09 AM
An SDK ? that might be terminator salvation . . .

Its like those import racer guys, first they get rims, who lower their car, get the shocks, polish and bling it out, even replace the interior with 5 point harnesses, racing seats. Then a carbon fiber hood and body kit. and a NOS bottle for kicks . . .

So it looks good but performs weaksauce. Fast, easy, quick, looks good fast food but doesn't do a body anything

But they don't sit down and figure what type of racing they want to do. Outline a goal and the get the real stuff done . . . like tamper with getting their suspension tweaked, getting the pistons polished, tuning the timing, fuel intake etc . . . figuring what ratio of turbo, getting shocks replaced and set for that style or race.

But this performs. dedication, hardwork, patience, perseverance, and may taste good, but does do a body great.

See guys / gals, its not about bells and whistles. It's about a solid, awesome kickbutt, game delivers in your face ww 2 realistic action to make the FPS, TLDF (too long dont fly) gamers and the hard core stats, button tweaker, they should have a mechanic and ordnance smith add on sim of the simmers guys happy.

A great game, when looked at all sides and aspects of gaming. Something to hold your interest (and yes SDK able) and set a standard, something that will stand out in people's memories long after the game's golden age has passed.

But folks, you have to the game first. Not the SDK.

I agree with others, its too early. To tell you the truth, CLOD isn't even retail ready.

Its getting better, but its not retail ready. Also the devs have to fix everything, THEN find a direction (which theater) to choose next.

And hopefully the devs are going long range. which means the SDK could be out after a few late war, china, pacific, and forgotten battles theaters and don't forget Korea . . .

You don't need a magic 8 ball to tell you its "too early to tell"

GOZR
10-12-2011, 08:25 AM
We'll see how things develop but don't forget like in IL2 1946 third party maps were better than quasi all original maps.. many maps team makers do have time in their hand unlike the Sim Dev atm and making maps take a longtime.. and time in an electronic age is short.. So yes DSK is a must .
Now making the sim perform well is an other problem that is the main focus.. FPS SLI/Xfire Antialiasing and anisotropic .. than physics, aircraft, weather weapons etc.. I know it well.. ;)

Yeap third party maps makers can help greatly...

Trooper117
10-12-2011, 08:58 AM
This, 100%

JG53Frankyboy
10-12-2011, 09:18 AM
this game is around the BoB.
We have a nice map for this battle.
MAPs are the last thing CoD needs in the moment IMHO...

So, i dont see how CoD would benefit from 3.Party maps with the given planeset in a historical context.

322Sqn_Dusty
10-12-2011, 09:47 AM
Maybe the first addition as map when a sdk comes out could be the extension to the occupied low countries. From May 1940-> BoF-> BoB - ?

But indeed, first give it a good running engine with low fuel consumption..than worry about new rims.

150GCT_Veltro
10-12-2011, 10:04 AM

So, i dont see how CoD would benefit from 3.Party maps with the given planeset in a historical context.

+1

And i say more, we don't need more maps and personally i would remove all maps we have now in games with the next patch, because they are pure ra....h. The same for the new maps in the Beta 2. Please stay on Battle of Britain, the more classic scenary, and don't waste time and resources when the game is still a placeholder of itself.

Calais would be more than enough, if we'll never have it, for the dog servers.

JG52Uther
10-12-2011, 10:21 AM

+1

Ali Fish
10-12-2011, 10:26 AM
to some degree i disagree with whats said here, but only because im a competent modder who is fracking bored with all this presently. i honestly thought id be churning out my stuffs by now. Alas many of you are very correct in that "its to early" "there are to many changes still to come" and lastly "CLOD is not Retail ready" !

10-12-2011, 10:28 AM

+1

JG53Frankyboy
10-12-2011, 10:46 AM
+1

And i say more, we don't need more maps and personally i would remove all maps we have now in games with the next patch, because they are pure ra....h. The same for the new maps in the Beta 2. Please stay on Battle of Britain, the more classic scenary, and don't waste time and resources when the game is still a placeholder of itself.

Calais would be more than enough, if we'll never have it, for the dog servers.

im sure you remember this ancient topic ;)

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19646&highlight=map+suggestions

Feathered_IV
10-12-2011, 10:50 AM

Desert Map

Malta Map

Norway Map

Gerbil Maximus
10-12-2011, 10:54 AM
its all well making new maps but this game needs a massive flood of content after the base code is fixed cos at the moment i'm finding it very boring as maps feel unpopulated and empty.

JG53Frankyboy
10-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Desert Map

Malta Map

Norway Map

in parts, they would fit for the given BoB planeset, true.

Needing ships :D

150GCT_Veltro
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
im sure you remember this ancient topic ;)

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=19646&highlight=map+suggestions

Exactly....here we go.

robtek
10-12-2011, 11:45 AM
its all well making new maps but this game needs a massive flood of content after the base code is fixed cos at the moment i'm finding it very boring as maps feel unpopulated and empty.

There is so much contend already there, that it will force any machine to a picture show when it's implemented!

Insuber
10-12-2011, 12:14 PM
Desert Map

Malta Map

Norway Map

So right. Planeset is already there.

NLS61
10-12-2011, 02:16 PM

Sample:

Now I'm looking at the maps we made and others made for IL2 1946 and I'm thinking about an SDK or some kind of way to the map building incorporating , it would do some real good to the Sim and interest.. CLOD team seems a bit over worked but with a big talented community and the new materiel in hand it will really help.. What do you think ?

As said before this map is historical in every respect
seehttp://www.dbag.nl/england.jpg
So i've got no problems here except for the part that was bombed away in 1940 that should be corrected.
And they couls have know that with the use of secret Russian satellite images.
The false image of the british iland has stuck after the second worldwar
at wich time British have, to confuse the Germans, and in the hope to get the Germans to bomb only open water, published incorrect maps of great Britain.
That it worked mostly is proven by this resent space image where damage sustained in WW2 is stil visible on the eastern coastline of Great Britain.
So I urge 1c to ceract that
Niels

ChiefRedCloud
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
So i've got no problems here except for the part that was bombed away in 1940 that should be corrected.
And they couls have know that with the use of secret Russian satellite images.
The false image of the british iland has stuck after the second worldwar
at wich time British have, to confuse the Germans, and in the hope to get the Germans to bomb only open water, published incorrect maps of great Britain.
That it worked mostly is proven by this resent space image where damage sustained in WW2 is stil visible on the eastern coastline of Great Britain.
So I urge 1c to ceract that
Niels

I love your sense of humour ....... LOL :grin:

GOZR
10-12-2011, 05:59 PM
+1 lol :d

5./JG27.Farber
10-12-2011, 08:29 PM
North Afrika would be easiest and fastest expansion possible right now...

JG52Uther
10-12-2011, 09:09 PM

Sample:

That map makes me want to cry every time I see it...

katdogfizzow
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
That map makes me want to cry every time I see it...

Yeah I don't know who can play on such childish maps...then again look at who posts here ha

hahahha

droz
10-13-2011, 12:50 AM

wrong.

Anyway, They are actually planning on SDK's. It has been mentioned many times before.

Tiger27
10-13-2011, 01:43 AM

yeah sure, although it's based on totally different code, if it was the old IL2 engine we wouldn't have all the issues off the last 6 months