PDA

View Full Version : Gun Damage

pitts7875
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
First off....
I had given up on this sim for a while. I just installed the latest beta patch and hotfix. Wow what a great experience compared to the original release.

Question for the board: When flying the Spit or Hurri I absolutely rake enemy bombers with gunfire but I cant seem to do much damage. I kill crew but rarely knock out an engine and have to spend my entire load-out just to down one plane. Any suggestions?

Ze-Jamz
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Convergence and make sure your hitting the weaker areas, wing root etc...

your prob shooting from dead 6 and your convergence cone is missing the Bomber for the most part..

Try diving on them at a slight angle and rake them from above to

Vengeanze
10-10-2011, 04:40 PM
There's the possibility to make a script so that you'll get info on the targets damage. It's a great way to find the sweetspots.
Someone made a training mission with that script somewhere here. Perhaps someone knows where.

Hellbender
10-10-2011, 05:08 PM
I would be interested in that script as well :grin:.

Hellbender
10-10-2011, 05:15 PM
I found the mission:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25337&highlight=damage

JG14_Jagr
10-10-2011, 08:27 PM
Convergence is KEY, and firing at the proper RANGE is the other KEY. Remember that the weapons are rifle class MG's. They don't carry an enormous amount of energy. When you compare a 7.62 to a 12.7 class weapon there is no comparisson.. then comparing a 12.7 to a 20mm is another massive leap in fire power.

7.62 tens to punch holes in things but not tear structure or rip open fuel tanks or wing skin. The crew are very vulnerable, the fuel and coolant system are the next most easily damaged. Realistically speaking you would see a lot more AC losing altitude and heading for France smoking that you would blowing up in a fireball.. When better incendiary ammo was used the chances of starting a fire with enough volume of concentrated fire was much higher if you targeted the fuel tanks or the fuel lines were hit. With larger ammo you can actually crack or even penetrate an engine block..not with the .030 class though..