PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane slow in take off run

mauld
10-10-2011, 12:31 PM
Hi

I tried to take off in the hurricane in full real. but even with full power the thing was crawling along the ground. I tried the chocks away button but to no avail. I could not figure out what was wrong can anyone help out.

Cheers

Flanker35M
10-10-2011, 12:37 PM
S!

Check your prop pitch, set it to fine for take-off. Also check radiator to open for preventing overheat and also check mixture, full rich on sea level.

Whiski
10-10-2011, 01:17 PM
I don't find the hurri too bad. I find the Spit very slow l;to respond when u punch the throttle, like it's dragging a few trucks behind it.

Whiskey

Trooper117
10-10-2011, 01:21 PM
They are ok if you are just on an orientation flight with time to get them run up correctly.. but if you are in a mission, generaly you don't have enough time to go through the correct start up proceedure, as all the others already had their engines running and were taking off in short order..
Bit frustrating at times..

mauld
10-10-2011, 02:13 PM
The rotol is fine but the DH 5-20 is only giving me a reasonable taxi speed.

SEE
10-10-2011, 03:14 PM
You are probably not doing anything wrong. The allied two speed prop ac need more time to gain sufficient acceleration to get airborne. Very gentle stick movement is better on these and you will find they get off the ground quite nicely. You need to make sure that there are no obstructions and plenty of tarmac/grass in front of you........:grin:

aus3620
10-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Had the same problem when I started. On the left hand side of the cockpit is a red boost knob, pull (click) this out and you will be able to throttle up to 110%. The only other issue is waiting until the engine is up to temp (30 water temp, 60 oil).

ReconNZ
10-11-2011, 12:40 AM
Check your mixture too - its the opposite in the hurri than in the spit.

IvanK
10-11-2011, 02:24 AM
Check your mixture too - its the opposite in the hurri than in the spit.

Which it shouldn't be :)

ATAG_Snapper
10-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Which it shouldn't be :)

+1

I'm surprised this error has been overlooked by 1C for so long - it should be easy enough to correct.

Two books* by BoB Spitfire pilots I've been reading lately confirm this: pull back for Full Rich and push forward for Full Lean (or Full "Weak" as Brian Lane calls it). At least the Hurri in CoD got it right!

*"First Light" by Geoffrey Wellum and "Spitfire!" by Brian Lane

Not to mention the Pilot's Notes for Spitfires......... ;)

reflected
10-13-2011, 09:14 AM
I had the same problem in a 109. I used to be able to take off, but now I could barely move. Full throttle, full rich mixture, perfect temperatures, prop fully fine.

But even without this, I think it takes way too long for planes to accelerate, it's totally unplausible. I've flown almost every sim that had a spitfire or a 109, and they all had about the same acceleration. (including il2), then there came CloD...

Something seems to be awfully wrong with the whole FM engine, especially when it comes to takeoffs, landing as and ground handlings.

Vengeanze
10-13-2011, 10:17 AM
I blame it on the drag from the grass. Try taking of from a concrete strip and it feels more normal.

JG52Uther
10-13-2011, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1oOjWm8rZ8

Vengeanze
10-13-2011, 11:55 AM
Get your point, Uther. He's airborne twice as fast as I've ever managed with headon wind and incoming bombers. :-D

Warhound
10-13-2011, 03:22 PM
If you remove the guns from the rotol hurri and add 15% fuel (WW2 planes today won't be fuelled anywhere near full capacity) you can get off the ground quickly in CLOD aswell.

Takes 13-14seconds for me to go from standstill to being airborne at those settings, plane in the vid seems to take 15-17seconds?
So I'd say it's not too bad..though ofc we don't know the exact lenght of his takeoff roll, timewise it's not far off.