PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with AI?

Remair
10-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I have been putting off buying/playing this game till the patch came out but finally gave in with the latest beta and got COD. It runs alright but I am having serious problems in the campaign.

I finally worked out that the hurricane's engine has to run for about a minute before attempting to take off but it seems these rules do not apply to the AI who take off and fly out of sight within a minute. With the non-functional ground control (how did they break what seems to be a direct copy+paste job from the original?) I have no idea where the leader went. I just get shouted at at 5 minute intervals for not being in formation. Is there any way to make the AI planes have the same engine requirements as yours so at least they have to wait or do I need to turn off CEM just to play?

On a side note does anyone know why my mixture setting resets itself every time I adjust the prop pitch or radiator?

Tavingon
10-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Ive had enemy bombers fly off at mad speeds and i havent been able to catch them, thought I was the only one!

tintifaxl
10-08-2011, 07:26 AM
Ive had enemy bombers fly off at mad speeds and i havent been able to catch them, thought I was the only one!

That is not what the OP meant. :rolleyes: So you're still alone :-P

Tavingon
10-08-2011, 08:32 AM
That is not what the OP meant. :rolleyes: So you're still alone :-P

Its probably cuz im in a hurican and theyre in ju88s with afterburner!

Vengeanze
10-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Remair, the AI has these prewarmed engines. It's what we got atm. And like you noticed you have to wait for your engine to pass 25 degree mark before taking off.
Here's some tip to stay with formation.

1. First thing when you get into cockpit is to switch fuelcock on and give 20% throttle and hit I. After that you'll have time to zoom in/out and turn off mirror, check map etc.
2. You can speed up the time it takes to heat the engine by applying continous brakes while revving up some.
3. Switch on the boost cutout thingy that'll give u a tad more power.
4. When close to 25 degree mark rev up and take off at full power.
5. Immediately after airborne retract flaps/gear
6. stay level till you're at 160 mph then climb sustaining 160 mph (best climbrate) until you're level with the flightleader.

Tip 1: If you have the icons on then the flightleader is the one with an A at the end. Follow him and all is good. He will circle the base once.

Tip 2: If you got icons on on the map then you can see the flight path and can cut a corner if you're unable to catch up.

Reg. mix reset. Check the key assignment for mixture. Some keys can be assigned to many keys. Probably you have the same key set for mix and pitch/rads. I once had my zoom in key also assigned to pitch. Took me a while to figure out. :-D

Have fun!

Remair
10-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'll give that a try Vengeanze.

Btw Tavingon I was having a similar problem while practicing in quick battles but that was because I wasn't adjusting prop pitch and had my radiator full open. Playing with both let me catch up to Donniers at least.

Vengeanze
10-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Forgot the easy way. Turn on autopilot for take off.

machoo
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM

I have trouble catching bombers also , i'm flying with the keyboard so just use basic realism and the throttle maxed out and they just keep on powering away. The same for fighters , they are always faster. I figured I must need to use a fuel mixture setting or something to give more speed.

Remair
10-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I tried the brakes to speed up the startup and it worked a treat. Plus knowing the AI circles the airfield once makes it easy to find when I get up, thanks Vengeanze.

Now that I am actually able to take off I'm really loving this. Tweaked by graphics settings down a bit now it runs beautifully while still looking fantastic (midday looks like a childs doodle but in the morning/evening the landscape looks amazing). There are still loads of bugs or blemishes with the game but in all honesty I've not had this much fun with a new game for ages. Well done devs :) well worth the wait