PDA

View Full Version : About all these rants on new patch colours

Sternjaeger II
10-07-2011, 09:12 AM
Guys, I think we got to a stage here where we need to understand what we want: do we want something that looks life-like (cos that's the direction they've finally taken) or do we want something that is a bit cartoonish for the sake of comfort?

If you fly in a plane at midday you might struggle to see the instruments, the eye will need to cope with sunlight and can't do two jobs at the time (sunglasses for pilots are not just a fashion item).

What they're trying to deliver here is the best representation of what things look like in real life, before moaning about it play with your gamma, contrast and brightness settings, let's try to be sensible.

Uh and another thing: don't post stuff like "please fix this or that", it sounds like everything is broken! Choose your words carefully ("my experience with this x feature is..") if you want to be listened to, it also really helps keeping the good spirits up!

Vengeanze
10-07-2011, 09:23 AM
I agree. And remember I'm the chief moaner here so leave that to me, ok!? ;-)

Tavingon
10-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree. And remember I'm the chief moaner here so leave that to me, ok!? ;-)

Landscape looks good, maybe cockpit needs to be half and half

MadTommy
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Guys, I think we got to a stage here where we need to understand what we want: do we want something that looks life-like (cos that's the direction they've finally taken) or do we want something that is a bit cartoonish for the sake of comfort?

If you fly in a plane at midday you might struggle to see the instruments, the eye will need to cope with sunlight and can't do two jobs at the time (sunglasses for pilots are not just a fashion item).

What they're trying to deliver here is the best representation of what things look like in real life, before moaning about it play with your gamma, contrast and brightness settings, let's try to be sensible.

Uh and another thing: don't post stuff like "please fix this or that", it sounds like everything is broken! Choose your words carefully ("my experience with this x feature is..") if you want to be listened to, it also really helps keeping the good spirits up!

I actually calibrated both my monitors yesterday coincidently before installing the patch.

A lot of the grass looks to me like it was drawn with Stabilo highlight pens. ;) It looks awful at ground level, certainly not realistic. I live in the UK.. no grass is that bright or that colour.

Now i'm sure i can alter my graphics card/monitor settings to make this look better. However playing CloD is unfortunately not the most important thing i do on my PC so that is a PITA.

Ailantd
10-07-2011, 09:39 AM

You don´t fly germans, do you?
Colors are so broken now that there is even color artifacts in some panels and gauges, some of them looks even as some kind of jpg compression with weird colors and contrast, really horrible. Here we are not talking about if the color is right or not anymore. They forced too much the contrast and saturation that the engine is not capable of rendering it properly.

Even taking your point, then, in 109, if sunlight it is so strong, why the small landing gear warning lights are so strong that even light up all cockpit in green or red even at midday? That´s not right, no way. 109 cockpit looks like a disco at Saturday night at midday now ( and I´m not talking about the epilepsy filter problem ).

Tvrdi
10-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Sea is a green lake now...Im I whinning? muaaaaa!!!! muaaa!!!

skouras
10-07-2011, 09:46 AM
whetever we say or not
it seems that the dev's already decided what to do;)
again for some people who lives in England the curently colours of the landscape
is crap..
for others is good
for others is-LCD trip--
same with cockpits
personally i don't like the contrast of the pits
cause loosing a lot of details
i don't care about RL
I care about detail

the only thing wanna see as close as it gets is the physics and FM
Of the aircrafts
IMHO
-S-

Melbourne, FL
10-07-2011, 09:53 AM
To be honest I'm deeply confused about this whole color discussion. Don't get me wrong...I believe that there is room for improvement. I just fail to see the importance of it considering the state of the sim. For me personally there are many matters which are way more important (stutters, performance, AI, dynamic campaign, dynamic weather). But there are a million threads about colors and almost none about the other issues. I'm confused.

Alexander

10-07-2011, 09:56 AM
To be honest I'm deeply confused about this whole color discussion. Don't get me wrong...I believe that there is room for improvement. I just fail to see the importance of it considering the state of the sim. For me personally there are many matters which are way more important (stutters, performance, AI, dynamic campaign, dynamic weather). But there are a million threads about colors and almost none about the other issues. I'm confused.

Alexander

+1

Ailantd
10-07-2011, 10:01 AM

Alexander

I think that is because all we have as a must that all that other things that are broken need to be fixed. For example it´s silly begin a discussion about if coms need to be working or not. Everybody knows coms have to work yes, or yes. About colors the problem is that if we do not argue, them colors may not change and stay as bad as they are now. It´s even worse because we now that it´s possible to have right colors, as we already had, cockpits in original and landscape in last beta.

You always are going to be discussing about so so things, not about what everybody agree.

flyingblind
10-07-2011, 01:01 PM
When I first tried the new patch I must admit I was a bit iffy about the colours but I spent a good evening playing with both nVidia control panel adjustments, the hardware adjustments on my monitor and even some third party calibration software and I have to say I am now pretty impressed.

I take MadTommy's point about PC use although you can set up various profiles or note settings to return things for other use. I set mine up purely for Clod and I think it looks terrific. The landscape perhaps errs a little towards emerald greens but there is a fantastic range of colours, browns, yellows and greens which give a very natural and convincing look compared to the original bland lime green offerings. The much darker trees help a lot.

A clever thing which is noticable with the colouring is that the colour range used for the landscape is very different from that used for the aircraft. For instance the English landscape is a slightly cooler emerald whereas the aircraft are a much richer and warmer pallet plus they have rather more contrast with stronger shadowing. This means the aircraft stand out from the ground in a really quite striking way and goes a long way towards compensating a monitor view compared with real life.

The water is now quite stunning and I'm sorry Tvrdi but I think the green is pretty spot on. The English Channel, especially around the Dover Straights carries a lot of sediment and a vaste amount of algae, particularly in summer. The sea there is never blue always brown or green. If you want blue go to the Med or the Pacific, forget the English Channel. Stand on Brighton Seafront on a bright blustery Summers day and you will see what I mean.

As an Englishman who loves his countryside and coastline I have to say that for Johnnie Foreigners and Russians to boot the developers are making a pretty good fist of it given the limitations of video games.

Sadly, for various reasons, I don't get much chance to set up a joystick and controls and fly CloD properly at the moment but I quite happily fire up the game, fly on auto pilot and take screenies.

ATAG_Dutch
10-07-2011, 01:12 PM
The English Channel, especially around the Dover Straights carries a lot of sediment and a vaste amount of algae, particularly in summer. The sea there is never blue always brown or green. If you want blue go to the Med or the Pacific, forget the English Channel.

Careful mate, you'll incur the wrath of Alpha and Dano. ;)

skouras
10-07-2011, 01:17 PM
so let me understand
to be able to enjoy the game
i have to play with my monitor settings
and with my Nvidia control panel
:confused:

smink1701
10-07-2011, 02:31 PM

1+...I think we could all go on till the end of time on colors. It has much to do with things the devopers can't control, like your monitor settings. I think the colors are fine and enjoy fine tuning with my nvid sliders. I would like to see the dev team move on to FM, AI, SP content, etc. I the game is visually pretty stunning.:grin:

Raggz
10-07-2011, 02:46 PM
I think that is because all we have as a must that all that other things that are broken need to be fixed. For example it´s silly begin a discussion about if coms need to be working or not. Everybody knows coms have to work yes, or yes. About colors the problem is that if we do not argue, them colors may not change and stay as bad as they are now. It´s even worse because we now that it´s possible to have right colors, as we already had, cockpits in original and landscape in last beta.

You always are going to be discussing about so so things, not about what everybody agree.

We all know about the bugs yes. But we have to make sure that some of the bugs get high priority .That's why some bugs needs to be mentioned again and again and again. It's ridiculous with 1 million threads on color while AI and Comms are hardly mentioned. And what have they been working on?...COLORS...while comms and AI is still not working.

warbirds
10-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Leave the sounds and other fixes but please put the colors back to before patch. The cocpits look like a console game now, not a sim.

flyingblind
10-07-2011, 03:52 PM
so let me understand
to be able to enjoy the game
i have to play with my monitor settings
and with my Nvidia control panel
:confused:

What I did was use nVidia control panel to put all values back to default. I then used a calibration utility to calibrate the monitor because the latest driver doesn't seem to have one included.

I then fired up the game and got a quick mission going on auto pilot. I then brought up the actual monitor adjustment menu to see if I could make the game look any better for me.

I found making changes on the fly made major improvements and in some respects it was almost jaw droppingly stunning. Of course the last part is purely subjective and perhaps not to everyones taste and can mess up how the rest of your apps and desktop look. The idea was not to set the monitor up to some universally acceptable standard as you would for photo editing but to see if I could make the game look better according to my personal criteria.

For instance my monitor has several settings like User, Text and Cinema. I also started with various temperature and gamma levels and then played around with the brightness, contrast and colour levels to see what sort of output I could get.

In the end I was getting deep, rich colour without any garishness and good contrast between planes and ground. As I said, water looked particularly good.

I am not sure if there is any point posting a screen shot as everyones settings are different so the colours would not look the same.

skouras
10-07-2011, 04:24 PM
flyingblind thanks
but i doubt if i'm going to do all that
just to cure and make the image better:rolleyes:
salute mate
thanks again

jimbop
10-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Does anyone have some screenshots of the cockpits? I'm traveling at the moment and am curious about the beta changes.

Ailantd
10-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Does anyone have some screenshots of the cockpits? I'm traveling at the moment and am curious about the beta changes.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26787&page=2
At the bottom you have comparison shots.

jimbop
10-07-2011, 04:54 PM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26787&page=2
At the bottom you have comparison shots.

Thanks, I missed that.

Space Communist
10-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Leave the sounds and other fixes but please put the colors back to before patch. The cocpits look like a console game now, not a sim.

And I would say they now look more realistic. Which only goes to prove the original point, that all this colouration business is really just a matter of personal opinion and people should stop whining about it.

senseispcc
10-07-2011, 05:11 PM
For me the colors where and are in each patch good not perfect but fine , I want more work on the coms and less on colors.:!:

satchenko
10-07-2011, 05:19 PM
For me the colors where and are in each patch good not perfect but fine , I want more work on the coms and less on colors.:!:

+1 !!!!!!!!!!!

Ali Fish
10-07-2011, 05:20 PM
ive debated this colour thing at length in a certain post,

we should emmm.. concentrate on the fact the SDK is impending. Getting that out will allow us to turn our attentions to creating what we want. The devs do as... then the the moders do as.... Then we are in a whole new world of having to make it let alone discuss it. Thats where i want to be when i chat about other peoples artwork.

Mr Greezy
10-07-2011, 06:07 PM
To me the new colors looks great. They're such a slight difference from the last patch, I can hardly see what all the fuss is about. Compare the current state to how it was before the beta patches and it's miles of improvement. Literally between a game I would want to play and a game I wouldn't want to play. The difference between the two beta patches is very small and getting caught up in it is kind of strange considering the mountains of other things needed to be done to this sim.

If the cockpit colors are too dark, you know you can turn up the cockpit illumination right? I have found that turning any given cockpit's illumination up even just a few notches brings it a lot closer to the last beta, plus you get the nice rich colors of the lights. I see no problems with the colors.

"Practice? We're talking about practice..."

The game's AI is still wonky
SLI isn't working
Performance overall still needs optimizing
Sounds are still coming along (and are great, btw)
FMs still being tweaked
And a full laundry list of other things far more important than the slightest tweak in colors.

The biggest things should be all those core elements that can make this game rock solid so that the devs can work on expansion packs, so we can buy them, and they can make a little more money back. If the color thing was a massive jump, I could see getting upset, but it's peanuts really IMO.

Rhubarb
10-07-2011, 06:23 PM
I realy get the feeling that 1C is trying way too hard to please everyone. This is not possible. I think that the first intention from the dev. with color was to go with the IL-2 style, which i realy love. I like my sim to be eye candy, more that realistic.

It should be to 1C to decide what the look of the sim will be. I cannot belive people will turn away from this geat sim just for colors.

To 1C, get back in control.

skouras
10-07-2011, 06:57 PM
hey mate
what sim
is everything broken

Rhubarb
10-07-2011, 07:05 PM
Well Modelling is outstanding, cockpit amazing, and game play, well need some
rework i must admit. Just for that i'm forgiving. With time it will be top.

GOZR
10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
At mid day in my real cockpit.. it's very contrasted and the dark zone is really dark for sure.. I have to bend over close to the gauge to sometime see better.. Sunglasses are very recommended ;)

Colors are fine to me for the moment probably need more flight time for the outside haze .. but I think before tweaking too much with colors i think the Xfire and SLI patch or FPS performance need to be worked on ... Actually I think this performance problems need to be number one on the TODO list.. I feel no joy yet with the ugly FSAA and Xfire/SLI performance.. As soon as the game run smooth well the rest come after IMHO..

skouras
10-07-2011, 07:06 PM
Well Modelling is outstanding, cockpit amazing, and game play, well need some
rework i must admit. Just for that i'm forgiving. With time it will be top.

then i agree
with you:rolleyes:

Mr Greezy
10-07-2011, 08:39 PM
At mid day in my real cockpit.. it's very contrasted and the dark zone is really dark for sure.. I have to bend over close to the gauge to sometime see better.. Sunglasses are very recommended ;)

Colors are fine to me for the moment probably need more flight time for the outside haze .. but I think before tweaking too much with colors i think the Xfire and SLI patch or FPS performance need to be worked on ... Actually I think this performance problems need to be number one on the TODO list.. I feel no joy yet with the ugly FSAA and Xfire/SLI performance.. As soon as the game run smooth well the rest come after IMHO..

+1 x3

6BL Bird-Dog
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
The Dark Green Sea is spot on now as that is how it looks when you are out on it or directly over it Especialy around the English channel and the British coast.
The visability throught the water is seldom crystal clear in warmer months due the abudance of marine organisms .
Winter can bring the clearest seas but only provided the weather has been light on wind and air temps are low.
I have worked in fishing boats on the south coast and had air flights over the same areas in most seasons.
What is noticable is the height above ,or angle you are looking from dictates what shades you see.
Stood on a beach or in a boat the sea looks green directly in front of you but as you look further away into the distance depending on light intensity it reflects the sky above ether blue,blue green,blue black or silvery grey.The ecceptions are in rough weather or when the angle to the sun is shallow where you will experience glare and brightness on the water.
Saying that I flew back from Spain in the winter months with clear skys and over the Channel the sea looked flat and black green or black blue.I could clearly see the larger white topped ferries crossing way below.I think the Screenshots are pretty accurate that people have posted ;)
The land colors brightness and shading are still unrealistic to me.:(

SNAFU
10-07-2011, 09:39 PM
I sailed the English canal many times. The waters might have a green touch one a clear summer day, but generally its brown-grey in the usually diffuse light. So far I found the colors and the general picture of the sea rather amusing, but well, it`s a flight sim or not?

sorak
10-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Sadly, for various reasons, I don't get much chance to set up a joystick and controls and fly CloD properly at the moment but I quite happily fire up the game, fly on auto pilot and take screenies.

Ouch :(

150GCT_Veltro
10-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Give a look to this texture, probably is exactly what a lot of us was waiting for in CoD (England - SAS modding).

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6423/cant3.jpg

robtek
10-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Give a look to this texture, probably is exactly what a lot of us was waiting for in CoD (England - SAS modding).

http://img856.imageshack.us/img856/6423/cant3.jpg

That just looks green tinted too me, in no way natural.

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Actually it does look good. However I would not want 100% green everything. Patchwork is ok. Just perhaps increase number of pastures (and put sheeps on them).

150GCT_Veltro
10-08-2011, 10:42 AM
That just looks green tinted too me, in no way natural.

Sure, but look at the textures quality. Colors can be changed in yellow. I'm talking about tiles.

Yesterday evening i was online in the new maps with english textures. Sorry to be quite rude but really i'm not able to understand and accept a so horrible landscape, first of all when the french landscape now is quite good (also from altitude). Sincerly is incredible Luthier doesn't realize how terrible is the british landscape even if is not his hown responsability. Is not only a matter of colros but also and first of all of tiles. It's fine from ground zero, but horrible from altitude.

Fly these 109 with new DB601 sound is a dream, but really this landscape is terrible.

May be is only a my opinion.

France 16 o'clock (high setting, but not original), Beta 2:
http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/francia01.jpg

http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/francia02.jpg

http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/francia03.jpg

Britain 16 o'clock (high setting, but not original), Beta 2:
http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/BRITAIN01.jpg

http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/BRITAIN02.jpg

This the real masterpiece of CoD, England at 12 o'clock.
http://www.150gct.it/users/150GCT_Veltro/BRITAIN03.jpg

ElAurens
10-08-2011, 01:44 PM
i don't care about RL
I care about detail

I think my head just exploded.

So really you don't care about the details, you care about your vision of how things should look, real or not.

Perhaps a PS3 or Xbox would be more satisfying for your play style.

:rolleyes:

skouras
10-08-2011, 02:45 PM
now tell me
which from the above pics
is detailed as real as it gets
if one of those is closed to England terrain
then i will explode myself

Hunden
10-08-2011, 03:03 PM
What I did was use nVidia control panel to put all values back to default. I then used a calibration utility to calibrate the monitor because the latest driver doesn't seem to have one included.

I then fired up the game and got a quick mission going on auto pilot. I then brought up the actual monitor adjustment menu to see if I could make the game look any better for me.

I found making changes on the fly made major improvements and in some respects it was almost jaw droppingly stunning. Of course the last part is purely subjective and perhaps not to everyones taste and can mess up how the rest of your apps and desktop look. The idea was not to set the monitor up to some universally acceptable standard as you would for photo editing but to see if I could make the game look better according to my personal criteria.

For instance my monitor has several settings like User, Text and Cinema. I also started with various temperature and gamma levels and then played around with the brightness, contrast and colour levels to see what sort of output I could get.

In the end I was getting deep, rich colour without any garishness and good contrast between planes and ground. As I said, water looked particularly good.

I am not sure if there is any point posting a screen shot as everyones settings are different so the colours would not look the same.

+1

CWMV
10-08-2011, 04:54 PM
What sort of color calibration software are you all using?

6BL Bird-Dog
10-08-2011, 09:51 PM
This shot is from google earth 7316
This is how the English countryside always looked to me.
Seems the SAS guys have got the closest in appearence .

ChrisDNT
10-08-2011, 10:45 PM
WOW, the SAS textures, this is something !!!