PDA

View Full Version : Luthier try and fix the "Stutters"

RickRuski
10-06-2011, 08:35 PM
The most disappointing thing with COD is the graphical "Stutters". We won't really be able to sucessfully give positive feed back on the "Patches" until we can get smooth game play. This is not only with Sli users but also with single card users. The "Micro Stutters" most of us are still getting is taking a lot of the enjoyment out of this game. Until we can get rid of this problem the development team are going to get "Negative Feed Back". Both patches so far have not addressed this problem.

JG52Krupi
10-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Yeah, they are quite annoying... I get mine between taking off and ~800m and more over cities.

Sometimes pauses in dogfights.

6BL Bird-Dog
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
The most disappointing thing with COD is the graphical "Stutters". We won't really be able to sucessfully give positive feed back on the "Patches" until we can get smooth game play. This is not only with Sli users but also with single card users. The "Micro Stutters" most of us are still getting is taking a lot of the enjoyment out of this game. Until we can get rid of this problem the development team are going to get "Negative Feed Back". Both patches so far have not addressed this problem.

+1

baronWastelan
10-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Turning Grass to "off" smoothed things out 100% for me. Buildings and forests and textures and landscape lighting still MAX.

10-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Same, no grass = no stutter for me.

RickRuski
10-06-2011, 09:21 PM
I already have grass "OFF" but still have these "Micro Stutters". I have allowed for the fact that I'm running SLI and the sim isn't optimised for that, but my son has a single card and has "Stutters" even worse than I have. He tells me that low down over London it is almost unplayable. He has a Quad core system and a GTX 560 Ti and is certainly not happy about lack of smooth play.

katdogfizzow
10-06-2011, 09:40 PM
Not really stuttering here after the latest beta driver from nvidia. Clouds seems to be the culprit when it does happen....plus I only get 19-20 fps in clouds.

I fly without clouds for now

Ataros
10-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Try setting texture quality to High instead of Original and defrag game files using Gamebooster after every patch. Landscape shading, forest and buildings, effects on Medium or Low. Models and damage - High.

In video drivers I set everything on Quality instead of High Quality. No noticeable stutters with grass, roads and shadows ON.

Also check out the last link in my sig.

Important: add Steam/1C and Documents/1C to antivirus exclusion list for real-time filters to stop antivirus from scanning every small file the game access.

Reinstall all the files from the /redist/ folder under Steam.

sorak
10-06-2011, 10:49 PM
Try setting texture quality to High instead of Original and defrag game files using Gamebooster after every patch. Landscape shading, forest and buildings, effects on Medium or Low. Models and damage - High.

In video drivers I set everything on Quality instead of High Quality. No noticeable stutters with grass, roads and shadows ON.

Also check out the last link in my sig.

Important: add Steam/1C and Documents/1C to antivirus exclusion list for real-time filters to stop antivirus from scanning every small file the game access.

Reinstall all the files from the /redist/ folder under Steam.

"Gamebooster" lol

RickRuski
10-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Ataros,

I have tried the antivirus thing before, even disabled it but makes no difference. As far as the "Scipting" suggestion goes, it is not my place to try to fix the developers coding. All we want is for them to fix the "Graphics Glitches" that have been there since day one. Making changes to the "Cockpits" isn't my idea of improving the stuttering game play. For gods sake let them get the priorities right.

ATAG_Dutch
10-07-2011, 01:54 AM
The most disappointing thing with COD is the graphical "Stutters".

Hi Rick,

I'm late to the conversation, but could you post up your system specs? Maybe someone could help better if you did.

Phazon
10-07-2011, 02:30 AM

And your settings and specs are?

I don't get stutters on my machine. I didn't even get stutters on my other old machine with a E6850 Core 2 Duo, the thing that made the biggest difference was my 2GB HD6970 GPU. The game loves a quick GPU with lots of memory. The more memory on the GPU and the quicker it is, the more overhead there is for rendering the game world and loading new objects at the same time. I would estimate that a GTX 560 Ti has about half the power of the HD6970, so its no wonder it struggles with the game.

skouras
10-07-2011, 06:04 AM
Not really stuttering here after the latest beta driver from nvidia. Clouds seems to be the culprit when it does happen....plus I only get 19-20 fps in clouds.

I fly without clouds for now

same

Tvrdi
10-07-2011, 07:53 AM
I dont have the stutter issue, game runs pretty smooth with (a bit) reduced settings but noticed slowdowns when ditching etc..

RickRuski
10-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Here are my system specs: -

AMD M4N98TD-EVO m/b
AMD Phenom 965x4 cpu 3.4gig
Nvidia GTS450 x 2 Sli
700w p/s (Cooler Master) single rail 52a
8gig DDR3 ram
WD 1Tb HDD (Partitioned x 5)
Windows 7 64 bit
19" Samsung Sycmaster 931 @ 1280 x 960 (native 1440 x 900)

Now don't tell me that my system isn't good enough because every other game is silky smooth including ROF (50--60fps).
I'm getting fps 45--60fps (depending on activity) over land with v/s enabled (more if I disable v/s)
Once both my cards are up to operating temps (about 58deg, and both run at about that temp) play becomes smoother but I still have these "Micro Stutters" when looking to the side at the ground. Most of my video settings are on "High" except Buildings Amount and Forest which are "Med". AA= off , V/S=off, Grass = off , Shadows = off. As i've said part of the problem maybe lack of official SLI support but we can't lay all the blame there. Other users with higher spec systems are having similar problems. It amazes me to see the developers putting time into "candy" improvements without smoothing out game play first.

Tavingon
10-07-2011, 08:31 AM
I too got rid of clouds, both those and landing dust lag the game like hell

TonyD
10-07-2011, 10:09 AM
To be fair Rick, these stutters cannot be solely blamed on CloD’s coding – have a look at this (http://techreport.com/articles.x/21516) article (thanks Flyby) to better understand the mechanics of dual-gpu rendering. If you think about it from a non-technical aspect, the process of alternate frame rendering is prone to this sort of thing purely due to the fact that it takes longer for gpu #2 to render a frame then gpu #1, since the frame has to be sent back to gpu #1 before being sent to the screen. Dual-gpu single cards should be less prone to this, but even in this case there is still some lag as only one of the gpu’s has the task of rendering.

I haven’t had the stutters since one of the early updates, even on my previous 1GB 5850, but found that I could reintroduce them by turning the graphic detail up beyond what the card could reasonably handle. CloD may also not be the best candidate for Sli at the moment either, being that it hasn’t been optimised for it, but even when it is it may not be completely stutter-free. You may find some improvement by lowering the detail, which could improve frame rates to a point that the stutters are no longer that noticeable. As they say, your mileage may vary ...

Probably not what you want to hear, but I would only recommend dual gpu’s over a single faster one in special circumstances – for eg. when using a high resolution on multiple monitors, and then only if they’re in a machine fast enough to feed them data at the required rate. I know graphics card manufacturers will spin all sorts of yarns about increased performance with multiple cards, but you have to realise that their sole motivation for doing so is additional sales :)

Edit: assuming that the stutters are being caused by the different rendering speed of the alternate frames, you may try increasing the detail settings to reduce the frame rate to a point that the difference has less of a visual impact – i.e. obtaining a smooth frame rate of 30fps instead of a stuttering one at 40fps. Might be worth a try?

macro
10-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Its seems to me that anything do do with smoke and clouds cause lag, even down to the smoke froms guns fireing causes stutters. I tried searching for this but doesnt seem to have been said yet

ATAG_Dutch
10-07-2011, 12:37 PM
As i've said part of the problem maybe lack of official SLI support but we can't lay all the blame there.

Have you tried latest Beta driver 285.38?

A lot of chaps with SLI are giving favourable reports with this driver.

I only have the one card and saw no difference, although I didn't get too many stutters until this latest game beta patch either, but it might be worth a shot.

Tvrdi
10-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Its seems to me that anything do do with smoke and clouds cause lag, even down to the smoke froms guns fireing causes stutters. I tried searching for this but doesnt seem to have been said yet

I noticed that too....

PE_Tigar
10-07-2011, 01:35 PM
Dude, what's with the quotation mark overdose :D?

RickRuski
10-07-2011, 09:15 PM
TonyD,

I have tried both Single and Dual cards the same problem is there, my system far exceeds the recommended specs indicated by the developers (not min). I have tried setting video settings all to "LOW" but the problem remains. My m/b has 2 x 16 Pcie slots and am very happy with the frame rates I am getting, it doen't seem to matter what I try in the settings (both conf.ini and game video) these micro stutters are still there (although not that noticeable until you view to the side at the ground details). What is really starting to annoy me is the so called improvements to other things, like "Cockpit" and a lot of us still can't get smooth game play. I have also tried "no cockpit "mode to see if it is lack of fps, no difference although the fps improve.

I've tried disabling SLI (no improvement just a major decrease in fps)
I've max out all video settings and all options turned "on", AA x 2 and my system handles it ok except for the "Micro Stutters", they are still there regardless of what settings I use. guess I'll just have to wait and hope Luthier and the Team try and do something about it. There are other users I know who have similar problems.

Rick

Tavingon
10-07-2011, 09:33 PM
My games mostly smooth, but when i start shooting at bandits the game crawls like a drunk man through his bedroom window after being locked out by the wife