PDA

View Full Version : Why are we more concerned with colors than performance and scaling?

yakaddict
10-06-2011, 12:54 PM
Just wondering. Everyone is making a big deal about how the colors are being changed and the sound is being reworked, and these are good things for sure, especially with the sound. This is taking a great sim to even better levels. The thing is though, shouldn't we be more concerned, for the present time, with performance and scaling across hardware than the colors and sound? Think about it, COD dosent run well on anything but top of the line hardware (gtx 580 3gb). My gtx570, only ok, slightly slower modern cards...well I cant imagine they would do all that well. The problem here is obviously the video cards VRAM, which means the game is overloading it with everything it is loading. Technical aspects aside, I've played many many games and sims, and alot have incredible graphics and environments that run just fine on much slower hardware, and COD isnt badly coded, but it could get much much better if the vram issue and draw distance scale were worked on. I have no problem with the updates being made, in fact I support them completely, but would it not be more logical to fix the more pressing issues first, increase sales and popularity of the sim, and then work on less pressing but still important issues? Just my take here, I dont want to see this degrade into an arguing match.

Vengeanze
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree.

And then we have the AI and Comms and inverted controls and...
Everything much more important than over/undersaturated colors.

ATAG_Dutch
10-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Oh, I dunno. I have a 570 too and am quite happy with the performance on Very High settings with 8x AA and ssao and v-sync on. See 'Let's compare' thread.

Feathered_IV
10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm more concerned over the pathetic single player experience. Even the least discerning customer must surely find it a pitiful effort.

CharveL
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
+1

Dano
10-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Agreed, colours can be tuned at a later date, it's more important to get the engine working properly with AA and no stutter, though I imagine that is being worked on and it may very well be that the dev playing with the colour palette is not able to pitch in on the main issues we're all clamouring for to be fixed so he's doing something he can.

Redroach
10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
I'm concerned about the people concerned with colors (and the priority of sounds, for that matter, as well). I still try to figure out why... is it really THAT funny to roar over the deck with your freshly-painted Me109, swooping over ground which is 107% more realistically-colored now, all the while not being able to do sheikh with your wingmen or get vectored to bogeys/home base on request.
I mean, how long does the fun derived from new colors last? I'll never get that.
But, as you'll all want to hear my psychological insight: Maybe some individuals here are envious of the techies that are personally acquainted with every rivet on their plane types, yet they can't keep pace - so they get pseudo-obsessive about the things they know: video game colors and modes...

No, really, I think people are somehow "grey-biased" due to WWII footage. In the Beta patch thread, there's a screenshot showing a red handle in the Me109 pit, shown "before" and "after". People clearly preferred the screen with a gray-red handle instead of the bright-red one. How or why Me109's builders would have mixed some red-grey paint together instead of using the bright red color for a handle that should be easy to find at all times, is waaaaay beyond me.

150GCT_Veltro
10-06-2011, 02:14 PM
We are concerned with the colors because this game has really a terribile landscape, even if this beta has improved the colors. After so many years, we were waiting for somenthing more than this poor landscape, and for my opinion Slovakia's textures are still better in spite of a lower resolution and DX9.

Would be better to work on the engine and improve it, but this game without a credible landscape (as for the sky and clouds), will never give us the feeling and the immersion the Battle of Britain would deserve.

My two cents.

ACE-OF-ACES
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Just wondering.
Because one mans black is another mans gray? ;)

I too find it very amusing all the debate over which color looks 'more real'..

Just too funny!

One thing these color debate threads do prove..

There is no limit on what flight simmer/games will find to argue about!

As I am sure the developers have to sit back sometimes and just LOL at some of the things people find to argue about.

addman
10-06-2011, 02:30 PM
I'm concerned about the people concerned with colors (and the priority of sounds, for that matter, as well). I still try to figure out why... is it really THAT funny to roar over the deck with your freshly-painted Me109, swooping over ground which is 107% more realistically-colored now, all the while not being able to do sheikh with your wingmen or get vectored to bogeys/home base on request.
I mean, how long does the fun derived from new colors last? I'll never get that.
But, as you'll all want to hear my psychological insight: Maybe some individuals here are envious of the techies that are personally acquainted with every rivet on their plane types, yet they can't keep pace - so they get pseudo-obsessive about the things they know: video game colors and modes...

No, really, I think people are somehow "grey-biased" due to WWII footage. In the Beta patch thread, there's a screenshot showing a red handle in the Me109 pit, shown "before" and "after". People clearly preferred the screen with a gray-red handle instead of the bright-red one. How or why Me109's builders would have mixed some red-grey paint together instead of using the bright red color for a handle that should be easy to find at all times, is waaaaay beyond me.

That sums it up pretty well for me. I like authenticity but if fundamental parts like A.I, comms and sounds aren't working who gives a rats *ss about which shade of which colour something is?! It's like the old FIFA vs PES debate, I prefer PES because I like the gameplay much better than FIFA even if Rooneys ears are perfectly modeled in FIFA. This is a personal preference, still I don't get the really fetish like reactions of some people about some kind of totally irrelevant details.

raaaid
10-06-2011, 02:31 PM
i bet 100 internetsthat eventually will end up with pink skies like all media

really makes you wonder

addman
10-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Colors were different back then, the world itself was black and white before the 1920s, and as color got introduced to the world in the 30s, they were pale things, which started to sharpen from the 40s and 50s to the colors we have today.

Old film is actually color film, but recording a world of two colors (black and white) before the 30s!

;)

HA!! I knew it! I knew it! I knew it!! To think people were laughing at me as a kid when after watching a b/w movie asking if the world was in b/w before.

Ailantd
10-06-2011, 02:56 PM
Because I donĀ“t want ugly pitch black gauges at midday.

Redroach
10-06-2011, 03:17 PM
We are concerned with the colors because this game has really a terribile landscape, even if this beta has improved the colors. After so many years, we were waiting for somenthing more than this poor landscape, and for my opinion Slovakia's textures are still better in spite of a lower resolution and DX9.

Would be better to work on the engine and improve it, but this game without a credible landscape (as for the sky and clouds), will never give us the feeling and the immersion the Battle of Britain would deserve.

My two cents.

Okay, maybe I get a first-hand answer there: Now, that sounds and colors have been tweaked, what do you do in-game now? Flying around and enjoying the landscape? How long does that last; i.e. motivate you to fire up CoD?
Or are you, for now, content with campaigns where half of your squad crashes into the ground while on landing approach, because you're not able to inform them of your intentions? (yes, I know, there's the "circle and circle until everybody else has landed" workaround...) What about having 3+ bandits on your tail and nobody comes to your aid (read: nobody can be contacted)? Does it really cut it for now?
Would you say that bug-fixing priorities where chosen wisely? Let's assume that Radio comms would have been fixed instead of colours - would the added gameplay depth (in fact. the whole gameplay depth...) not be quite a bit better in terms of compensation for "bright" colors?

@cheesehawk mh, I had the same feelings once. But I wonder what the world would have looked like before the advent of Photography (the Cameras themselves always capturing the true world, as you say) in the 1830-1850s? I bet that back then, you could make out brush strokes on people's faces, clothes etc... indeed pretty much on everything, but the world got actually MORE color before Cameras got involved ;)
What can we deduce from that? Hmm, I think that, in order to get Graphics historically correct, games like Napoleon:Total War should be made to provide quite an artistic, colorful experience, with heroic poses all over the place!
:rolleyes:

KG26_Alpha
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM

My two cents.

IL2 1946 Slovakia map runs under OGL

And isn't that spectacular compared to CoD's maps and textures. But is one of the better IL2 1946 maps.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/9e39e9a2.jpg

If you are looking to fly around in virtual scenery and scalability like this, then you and me will have to wait a very long time.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/DSCF1889copy.jpg

Ze-Jamz
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
OT but that's some nice scenery there..

Vengeanze
10-06-2011, 03:51 PM
the colours in that second pic is waaayy off. Doesn't look real at all.

gelbevierzehn
10-06-2011, 03:57 PM
That's life... the "optics" make the first impression. :)

What's the most popular phrase in the world of a car salesman?
"The car is great, but I don't like the color..."

However... this sim wants to be state of the art and with state of the art gaming hardware it is IMAHO by now the best fighter sim available and great fun to fly. (at least after Beta patch 1)

senseispcc
10-06-2011, 04:21 PM
The Ai seems to be not to be too bad the coms are far from good maybe very poor or even not existent. There are some limitation in altitude that should not be there. Planes should fly higher than they do in the game. It is not funny but realistic. Due to com limitations the Radar are of no use. Otherwise this is a great game and for me the game of the year 2011.:-P

Mr Greezy
10-06-2011, 04:22 PM
I completely agree with to OP.

Tweaking the lighting/color when the game doesn't even run like it should is like slapping on a new coat of paint to a house when the foundation needs work.

And why were they working on 3D? That's a bigger problem than SLI?

I don't understand. Are we not heard or are the devs smoking meth? Haha. Seriously, what is going on?

Redroach
10-06-2011, 04:30 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/DSCF1889copy.jpg

As a previous poster already said:
Wtf? Those landscape colors surely put me off! Come on, I mean.. brown trees? Call me nuts, but aren't trees supposed to be green (dark green, not "lime green", of course!)? Also, what's with the houses? Bright white, I'll get a sunburn in front of my screen! Same goes for the snow.... I mean, come on, snow isn't THAT white!
Certainly NOT playable for me, however awesome the game behind it may be!!!!111oneone

150GCT_Veltro
10-06-2011, 05:09 PM
About Slovakia textures:

1) These textures are for sure much better than the CoD ones at low or medium setting, and sincerly i was waiting at least this kinde of quality for the low graphic setting. CoD textures are "quite good" (the lesser horrible choice) only with high setting, shadows ecc. ecc..

2) Slovakia textures provide you a sort of 3D effect in spite of their poor resolution, and i would like to see these textures with the same "format" of CoD. They are also quite "photographic".

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v119/alpha1/9e39e9a2.jpg

@Redroach, i understand what you mean but this game is really terrible in landscape (and sky) so, both are needed. It's a 50% - 50%. This game is broken all around, code and graphic, and i'm really sorry for this because fly my Emil is a real pleasure.

However i will support CoD.

KG26_Alpha
10-06-2011, 05:54 PM
As a previous poster already said:
Wtf? Those landscape colors surely put me off! Come on, I mean.. brown trees? Call me nuts, but aren't trees supposed to be green (dark green, not "lime green", of course!)? Also, what's with the houses? Bright white, I'll get a sunburn in front of my screen! Same goes for the snow.... I mean, come on, snow isn't THAT white!
Certainly NOT playable for me, however awesome the game behind it may be!!!!111oneone

Lol

Well the Pyrenees image is about scalability not so much the Autumn colours.