Friedric
10-06-2011, 01:00 AM
The new colors for me sir :-)

LoBiSoMeM
10-06-2011, 01:12 AM
New. Much better.

RCAF_FB_Orville
10-06-2011, 05:13 AM
'New' landscape colour tweaks are an abomination.......'Return to the LSD valley of Shrek'. Previous beta much nearer the mark and was moving in the right direction. Contrast in cockpits is IMO overdone.

Honestly, just awful IMO. Does not inspire confidence, if they are 'reasonably happy' with this....that scares me. :eek:

Hunden
10-06-2011, 05:33 AM
'New' landscape colour tweaks are an abomination.......'Return to the LSD valley of Shrek'. Previous beta much nearer the mark and was moving in the right direction. Contrast in cockpits is IMO overdone.

Honestly, just awful IMO. Does not inspire confidence, if they are 'reasonably happy' with this....that scares me. :eek:

Even with the first beta patch I found myself turning down my monitors color saturation levels along with brightness and contrast. This patch may have some good things but color not so much....

6BL Bird-Dog
10-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Niether

senseispcc
10-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I mostly like the new colors because the water and fields are better contrasted.

PE_Tigar
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
The new colors are fine for me.

skouras
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM

same

Gourmand
10-06-2011, 10:42 AM
i love the new landscape, but for me it was not the priority...
i'm desapointed to see again the same bug or feature desactivate since the release...

they should fix the bug and optimise before changing color...
stuka don't breake !, many of plane are elements in cockpit who doesn't work
etc...

but yes the new landscape is prettiest ( with new bug... )

chiefrr73
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
Hi all,
I m not installing betapatches, so could some of you please post videos of new betapatch, so I/other peoples who don t install can judje and tell their opinions. Thanks

JG5_emil
10-06-2011, 12:30 PM

+1

I find this a major step backwards!

150GCT_Veltro
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't like at all CoD's landscape but for the first time for me, colors look quite good. However i hope for a third party addon for the future, as we haven now for FSX. The same for the clouds.

philip.ed
10-06-2011, 03:55 PM
+1 to Orville. These colours are nothing like England. Clearly there a ton of completely uneducated, blind individuals taking part in this poll. Regardless of aesthetic clarity, the colours are so far off it's laughable. England isn't like a multi-coloured patchwork quilt. Grass colours may vary lightly, but you won't look over your fence and see vivid, dark green grass in your neighbours lawn when yours is yellow and sun-bleached. In England, field patterns are fairly ordered and even. It's rare to see field layouts looking like some colour-blind God chucked a load of sprinklies over the terrain.

Trooper117
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
+1 to Orville. These colours are nothing like England. Clearly there a ton of completely uneducated, blind individuals taking part in this poll. Regardless of aesthetic clarity, the colours are so far off it's laughable. England isn't like a multi-coloured patchwork quilt. Grass colours may vary lightly, but you won't look over your fence and see vivid, dark green grass in your neighbours lawn when yours is yellow and sun-bleached. In England, field patterns are fairly ordered and even. It's rare to see field layouts looking like some colour-blind God chucked a load of sprinklies over the terrain.

You can't tell em ed.. some of em don't even live here in the UK, most have never seen the south of England from several thousand feet or lower..

JG52Krupi
10-06-2011, 04:38 PM

I agree with the colours being too pastel thought not as bad as they were pre beta, but seriously the highlighted part LMAO im not too sure if your from the UK now.... the fields over hear are NOT orderly or even and the different colours could be attributed to the different kind of stuff they were growing then.

http://maps.google.co.uk/?ie=UTF8&ll=50.944422,0.369072&spn=0.046238,0.132093&t=h&z=14&vpsrc=6

Some places even most just random!

Bpdslayer
10-06-2011, 04:45 PM
So funny, we see so many people complaining about the new landscape colours, but the polls show that most of us like the new colours. Looks like the dissatisfied amongst us are the more vocal ones.

I for one prefer the colours in the new beta, they dont look so bright like pastel colours compared to before.

fruitbat
10-06-2011, 04:47 PM

Some of what you say is laughable.

I've just spent the last 3 months cultivating 3000 acres in south-east Kent, mainly driving this,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/30072011302.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/20082011315.jpg

I'm now contact Avadexing all over south-east Kent, currently down on New Romney Marsh and must of driven over 6000 acres of fields so far this year in Kent, and can assure you the fields are definitely not fairly ordered and even.

Oh, and just for kicks this is from about 2 weeks ago,

over Caple Le fern,

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_89/gallery_607_89_207955.jpg

http://www.dangerdogz.com/forums/uploads/gallery/album_89/gallery_607_89_159816.jpg

Some picks from last week,

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/01102011350.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/01102011347.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/02102011355.jpg

In my most humble opinion, i feel i'm probably more qualified than most to comment on the fields in south-east Kent.

Now as to the colours, well, i agree they're wrong, but they've always been wrong.

imo however they are the least wrong they've been so far.

However, it is impossible to create a map that represents how SE England looked during the BoB, simply because thats when the landscape is changing the most, the start of the battle the crops are beginning to ripen, and by the end, they've been harvested, and the fields re cultivated, so what 'time' do you pick?

bw_wolverine
10-06-2011, 05:00 PM
Great pics and an informative post Fruitbat.

Agreed that they're still "wrong" but I can LIVE with it. To be perfectly honest, I could have lived with ANY version we've had so far. All of these colour/contrast debates are very nice to have and an interesting scholarly debate, but considering the kinds of terrain we've had in games we call classics and remember with reverence, the terrain we've had at all patch levels has been just fine for me.

Put it this way. Would you rather they continuously tweak the colours until they're just the way you like them, or would you rather that they search for and find a way to make the trees have collision detection. Or fix the comms. Or make the AI better. Or ANYTHING.

It's obvious the colours are never going to be perfect for everyone. Especially evident by this poll. I think enough time has been spent on the colours, though. Time for us all to say "okay, thanks for adjusting it, now move on to the next thing and return to this later if and when there's time to make further tweaks."

EDIT: Actually, now that I think more on it, we might have a lot of people voting that they like the new version simply because they want the devs to move on.

JG52Krupi
10-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Great pics and an informative post Fruitbat.

Agreed that they're still "wrong" but I can LIVE with it. To be perfectly honest, I could have lived with ANY version we've had so far. All of these colour/contrast debates are very nice to have and an interesting scholarly debate, but considering the kinds of terrain we've had in games we call classics and remember with reverence, the terrain we've had at all patch levels has been just fine for me.

Put it this way. Would you rather they continuously tweak the colours until they're just the way you like them, or would you rather that they search for and find a way to make the trees have collision detection. Or fix the comms. Or make the AI better. Or ANYTHING.

It's obvious the colours are never going to be perfect for everyone. Especially evident by this poll. I think enough time has been spent on the colours, though. Time for us all to say "okay, thanks for adjusting it, now move on to the next thing and return to this later if and when there's time to make further tweaks."

EDIT: Actually, now that I think more on it, we might have a lot of people voting that they like the new version simply because they want the devs to move on.

Agree with everything you just said :D, but they are a little too bright.. I am fed up with neon nuclear green statements being shoved down my throat!!!

Mad G
10-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Nice pics, thanks. The third one is like I see a BOB real look landscape and seems that wouldn´t be too hard to achieve these colours in CloD, imo. Also trees, tree´s pockets and bushes disposal are different in game.

bw_wolverine
10-06-2011, 06:21 PM
Agree with everything you just said :D, but they are a little too bright.. I am fed up with neon nuclear green statements being shoved down my throat!!!

*nods*

I would keep in mind that almost every picture I've seen that shows the "real" colours (photos, etc) is typically on an overcast day. fruitbats pictures seem to mostly be on clear days, but some of the greens in those are pretty "green" too.

If your PC can do it, try creating a mission with the weather features turned on and take a few screen shots. You may be surprised at how right the colours look if you actually have cloud cover. It's possible that the devs are tweaking the colours with that in mind. I'm sure it's very tricky to manage the colours when so many things can have an impact on them (shade, sun, glare, glass tint, haze, etc).

Wouldn't we hate to have to do all of this over again once the weather features are implimented and everyone complains that the ground is too dark when the sky is cloudy? :P

fruitbat
10-06-2011, 06:39 PM
yep although the greens are subduing now, a month or so ago, much more 'green' on a clear day, this is from last years harvest in early aug i think, and when the sun is shining its quite vibrant.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/09082010022.jpg

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y290/thefruitbat1/06082010015.jpg

JG52Krupi
10-06-2011, 06:51 PM
*nods*

I would keep in mind that almost every picture I've seen that shows the "real" colours (photos, etc) is typically on an overcast day. fruitbats pictures seem to mostly be on clear days, but some of the greens in those are pretty "green" too.

If your PC can do it, try creating a mission with the weather features turned on and take a few screen shots. You may be surprised at how right the colours look if you actually have cloud cover. It's possible that the devs are tweaking the colours with that in mind. I'm sure it's very tricky to manage the colours when so many things can have an impact on them (shade, sun, glare, glass tint, haze, etc).

Wouldn't we hate to have to do all of this over again once the weather features are implimented and everyone complains that the ground is too dark when the sky is cloudy? :P

LMAO, thats exactly what I thought with Beta patch 1.. clearly great minds think alike ;)

philip.ed
10-06-2011, 08:56 PM
When I said even, I should have said organic. The regions are, largely, a mixture of crop fields on top of grassland. At the end of the day, grass will always vary slightly in colour, but not as drastically as shown in CloD. The crop fields...colours and positioning are anyones guess, but largely, there will be lots of grass-areas together in fairly large areas, with the crop fields in-between. CloD shows a mixture of each together like a chequerboard (a chequerboard made up of lots of lots of varying shades of white and black/grey). Does this make sense? I submit to your superiority in this department, fruitbat :-P

So sorry, misunderstanding on my part, but I feel that we are both suggesting towards a similar conclusion?

Ailantd
10-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Photos are not examples of anything. Photos can be extremely different in colors, saturation and lighting between them and between reality only changing camera parameters like exposure and so on. You should not compare colors in a photograph. I believe more what people living in England can say about landscape. Even more pilots living in England.

fruitbat
10-06-2011, 10:12 PM
When I said even, I should have said organic. The regions are, largely, a mixture of crop fields on top of grassland. At the end of the day, grass will always vary slightly in colour, but not as drastically as shown in CloD. The crop fields...colours and positioning are anyones guess, but largely, there will be lots of grass-areas together in fairly large areas, with the crop fields in-between. CloD shows a mixture of each together like a chequerboard (a chequerboard made up of lots of lots of varying shades of white and black/grey). Does this make sense? I submit to your superiority in this department, fruitbat :-P

So sorry, misunderstanding on my part, but I feel that we are both suggesting towards a similar conclusion?

irl, rule of thumb, anything thats not to steep to cultivate, will be cultivated, everything else thats not woodland will be pasture for livestock. If lands of to poor quality for crops again pasture for livestock.

I do agree with you the colours are off, i look at them and can't actually guess whats supposed to be represented in half the fields, lol.

for SE Kent, can't really speak for anywhere else, more land is used for crops than anything else, its good ground, its not called the garden of england for no reason.

your very right that the grass should be pretty uniform, it is what it is.....

If i was designing the textures, i would of picked august as the month to represent in the map as its in the middle of the battle, and you can kinda represent both july and sept with that look as well, and the textures would of been placed with the grass pastures on all of the contours, with ripe wheat colours for the fields, which could be all sorts of things, oats rye barley etc (and a cut stubble field will look just the same colour as a ripe crop field from the air)... much the same colour as some of the textures on the slovakia map in il2, interspersed with woodland, and with some fields of darker greens to represent a few of the other types of crops (root crops).

Oh, and there would be lots of sheaf's of wheat in the fields, as it was before combines, and it would of been cut and bundled into sheaf's in the fields for a while, again like you see in the slovakia map in il2.

But thats me.:cool:

41Sqn_Stormcrow
10-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Here's a video from a flight from Germany to England obviously England coming at the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7WnWpy4LGI

It is indeed rather green than coloured however I don't know at which season this shot was taken. (I just skipped through the video though) At different seasons this might look different.

However one can clearly see that the colours are quite vivid.

Here is another one. Flight pictures also on the last half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2Sae3CUpto

Occasionally it does look like the patchwork of Clod

philip.ed
10-07-2011, 03:43 PM
irl, rule of thumb, anything thats not to steep to cultivate, will be cultivated, everything else thats not woodland will be pasture for livestock. If lands of to poor quality for crops again pasture for livestock.

I do agree with you the colours are off, i look at them and can't actually guess whats supposed to be represented in half the fields, lol.

for SE Kent, can't really speak for anywhere else, more land is used for crops than anything else, its good ground, its not called the garden of england for no reason.

your very right that the grass should be pretty uniform, it is what it is.....

If i was designing the textures, i would of picked august as the month to represent in the map as its in the middle of the battle, and you can kinda represent both july and sept with that look as well, and the textures would of been placed with the grass pastures on all of the contours, with ripe wheat colours for the fields, which could be all sorts of things, oats rye barley etc (and a cut stubble field will look just the same colour as a ripe crop field from the air)... much the same colour as some of the textures on the slovakia map in il2, interspersed with woodland, and with some fields of darker greens to represent a few of the other types of crops (root crops).

Oh, and there would be lots of sheaf's of wheat in the fields, as it was before combines, and it would of been cut and bundled into sheaf's in the fields for a while, again like you see in the slovakia map in il2.

But thats me.:cool:

I completely agree. Hopefully Luthier will be able to sieve the construvtive, well evidenced, comments from the largely uneducated/fanboi ones.