PDA

View Full Version : Why do you run CloD on XP?

Vengeanze
10-05-2011, 07:51 AM
In the last update from 1C Lead Development Producer Ilya Shevchenko aka Luthier, he states that they are struggling with "technical difficulties that are especially apparent on Windows XP".
Writing code that supports many versions of a platform is asking for trouble and makes troubleshooting a mess.

Now Microsoft abandoned XP in 2009 and W7 is a modern and more stable version of Windows. So why do 1C choose to add support to an OS that was released over 10 years ago for a groundbreaking game that requires 2010/2011 year hardware?

Steam statistics show that 19.5% of steam users have Microsoft XP.
It is clear that 1C don't wanna loose that customer base.

But why in the world are 19.5% running XP when W7 will give you a clear boost in performance in most games and especially Cliffs of Dover??

You tell me!!

PE_Tigar
10-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Eh, sorry for messing up your poll, I don't actually run XP (except on my office PC - don't ask) but I wanted to see the results :D.

pupo162
10-05-2011, 08:57 AM
this is offtopic somehow, but since this is where you are going to end:

from the, pc requirements:
--- OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3---

meaning this that they just cant driop XP support once they said it will work its unnethical and against the law. It would be like selling you a Car who runs on hidrogen, promiss you the support to give you the fuel, and then 6 months later stop giving a fuel you cant buy anywhere else.

but yes, you are right, i do recommend everyone upgrading to seven, tough XP is clearly more practical, good looking, effective and less fagish, seven does boost your pc performence considerably.

MadBlaster
10-05-2011, 09:02 AM
They didn't abandon it (XP). I just got an auto update from Microsoft today. I get one every month.

Don't blame us XP users for 1C mistake. Nobody forced them to code CLoD for XP. They chose to do it. If you choose to do something and tell the world that is what you are going to do for 6 years, then you have problems. Well, just fix it instead of blame game.

Btw having to be on XP is not a deal breaker for me. I like XP. But if CLoD in fact runs better on Win7, then I would have no problem buying Win7. It's a 32 bit game, so Win7 or XP in 32 bit...how much different can they be? The 64 bit Win7, I don't even think it get utilized to potential as 64 bit op system. My mom and my sister has win7. I don't see what is so great about it. XP I know about. It works and is reliable. I don't need to have an intimate relationship with my operating system with sparkles.

Still, I don't understand how you can know how to code DirectX10, but not DirectX9 or any DirectX version before that? Given that old IL-2 had DirectX9 capability...1C should be an expert at DirectX9 since they have written many games in DirectX9!!!

Also, 46' mod game is simply much better imo. I will be playing that for long time. It runs very well for me on XP. I have no reason to change at this point. If CLoD ever gets better than that or I get tired of it, then I will change to CLoD if it is worthy of my time. Right now, I don't see that happening anytime soon. I had big expectations. 128 player mega battles online that would last for days/weeks/months. Isn't that what they told us?

Vengeanze
10-05-2011, 09:19 AM
this is offtopic somehow, but since this is where you are going to end:

from the, pc requirements:
--- OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows® 7 / Vista SP2 / Windows XP SP3---

meaning this that they just cant driop XP support once they said it will work its unnethical and against the law. It would be like selling you a Car who runs on hidrogen, promiss you the support to give you the fuel, and then 6 months later stop giving a fuel you cant buy anywhere else.

Yeah, I'm painfully aware of this and that XP can be dropped earliest at the release of an addon or new version of the game.
I'm just curious of why one out of five still run XP despite the boost one gets with W7.

Also, I wouldn't mind an elaborated comment from the dude at 1C/UBI that made the decision to support XP and DX9 in a 2011 game.
Compare to BF3 (released 7 months after CloD) that skipped XP/DX9 (another ballgame and customer base, I know).
This game is so demanding that 1C by indirection forced us to upgrade our hardware.

In my eyes the support for XP/DX9 is a big hinder in the developers ambitions to make the best CFS even better with more eye candy and functionality.
Without XP/DX9 support we'd probably already be flying in the wonderful world of DX11 technology (tessellation etc) and have working SLI and free beer and naked women etc. ;-)

I'll stop the rant now. :cool:

Dano
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
Eh, sorry for messing up your poll, I don't actually run XP (except on my office PC - don't ask) but I wanted to see the results :D.

You know you can click the 'view poll results' button to see the votes without voting yourself right?

Vengeanze
10-05-2011, 09:31 AM
They didn't abandon it (XP). I just got an auto update from Microsoft today. I get one every month.
Mainstream support ended in 2009. Extended support till 2014.
See this (http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?LN=en-gb&C2=1173) for dates.
And see this (http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifepolicy) for explanation on the difference between mainstream and extended.

Don't blame us XP users for 1C mistake. Nobody forced them to code CLoD for XP. They chose to do it. If you choose to do something and tell the world that is what you are going to do for 6 years, then you have problems. Well, just fix it instead of blame game.
Don't know about others but I don't blame XP users. I'm just curious as to why the decision by gamers and developers...but you explained it well. Thanks

Btw having to be on XP is not a deal breaker for me. I like XP. But if CLoD in fact runs better on Win7, then I would have no problem buying Win7. It's a 32 bit game, so Win7 or XP in 32 bit...how much different can they be? The 64 bit Win7, I don't even think it get utilized to potential as 64 bit op system. My mom and my sister has win7. I don't see what is so great about it. XP I know about. It works and is reliable. I don't need to have an intimate relationship with my operating system with sparkles.
Others can tell you about the boost in CloD with W7. It's a clear boost but I can't say by how much.

I had big expectations. 128 player mega battles online that would last for days/weeks/months. Isn't that what they told us?
+1. This was one feature I was really looking forward to.

Nitrous
10-05-2011, 09:54 AM
XP = Dx9 only
Win 7 = Dx10 and 11

And

XP = 4gb RAM max.
Win 7 64bit = 16gb RAM max (or possibly higher)

That's good enough a warrant upgrading for me.
Oh BTW before anyone says it. That dx10 hack for xp does not really work.

Gerbil Maximus
10-05-2011, 11:53 AM
11 people run on XP so far, Verses how many who dont?

Are the devs working on pc's that use Dx9? maybe thats why we didnt get anything in Dx11 ?

Rowddy
10-05-2011, 12:12 PM
ooh give it a rest dude now you start being annoying and whinning. who gives a shit at all tbh

Icebear
10-05-2011, 12:26 PM
ooh give it a rest dude now you start being annoying and whinning. who gives a shit at all tbh

Why ? IMO the question is comprehensible. They care about XP as it should work on it but on the other hand the game should also run fine with the minimum system requirements....but who cares ?

LoBiSoMeM
10-05-2011, 12:31 PM
But if CLoD in fact runs better on Win7, then I would have no problem buying Win7. It's a 32 bit game, so Win7 or XP in 32 bit...how much different can they be? The 64 bit Win7, I don't even think it get utilized to potential as 64 bit op system. My mom and my sister has win7. I don't see what is so great about it. XP I know about. It works and is reliable. I don't need to have an intimate relationship with my operating system with sparkles.

Welllllll...

IF you have more of 4GB of RAM, W7 x64 will make CloD runs better, because W7 x64 will use all your RAM to run EVERYTHING - not just CloD - and any game title likes free available physical memory.

IF you have multicore CPU, W7 is MUCH better than XP using all cores.

W7 is better than XP. Simple.

ATAG_Snapper
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM

I do. Keep the discussion rolling, let's not stifle it!

Gerbil Maximus
10-05-2011, 12:46 PM

What i said was part of the conversation, asking questions isnt whining.

You posted purely to whine,
Oh the irony.

PE_Tigar
10-05-2011, 01:19 PM
You know you can click the 'view poll results' button to see the votes without voting yourself right?

I stand ashamed, didn't know :) :oops:

Rowddy
10-05-2011, 01:33 PM
lol so funny you guys feel adressed:-D i ment the guy who started the discussion, it's useless and adds nothing constructive to this game. No one is happy with the game as it is but at least they are working hard to make it better. why not sit back and wait what happens for a change?

These discussion are a waste of everyone's time especialy for the peeps working on this game to make it better.

ATAG_Snapper
10-05-2011, 01:55 PM
lol so funny you guys feel adressed:-D i ment the guy who started the discussion, it's useless and adds nothing constructive to this game. No one is happy with the game as it is but at least they are working hard to make it better. why not sit back and wait what happens for a change?

These discussion are a waste of everyone's time especialy for the peeps working on this game to make it better.

Condescension aside, how exactly are these discussions a waste of time for the peeps working on this game to make it better? In another thread, it was suggested that a klaxon sounds off in 1C's development dept. whenever a new posting is added to a 1C Forum discussion thread which obliges all the CoD devs to immediately drop what they're doing, read the new post, then sit down and have a roundtable discussion on how best to ignore said post.....before getting back to work again.

Could this possibly be what you mean by wasting the peeps' time?

Vengeanze
10-05-2011, 02:07 PM
My experiemce has taught me to ignore people with a postcount less than 50.

ATAG_Snapper
10-05-2011, 02:10 PM

Wisdom born of experience. Good advice.

FFCW_Urizen
10-05-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for ignoring me :P

Most ppl who use XP, do it because of the Look and Feel of it, they simply think that Vista/7 is ugly, slow and unstable as hell (well, atleast vista was unstable for most).

MadBlaster
10-05-2011, 02:50 PM
Welllllll...

IF you have more of 4GB of RAM, W7 x64 will make CloD runs better, because W7 x64 will use all your RAM to run EVERYTHING - not just CloD - and any game title likes free available physical memory.

IF you have multicore CPU, W7 is MUCH better than XP using all cores.

W7 is better than XP. Simple.

yes, I'm aware of that.

I just checked task manager. The overhead on my xp machine with avg free running in the background is only 400 MB. With the 3gb switch enabled, I can run il-2 max settings online, texture compression off, supplemental programs like freetrack, hyperlobby, glovepie in the background. After that, there is still about 1GB left out of the 3gb total of unused memory. No crashes. I posted Luthier about the 3GB switch and his patch crashes. Hopefully he is listening because it does make a difference if the program you are running is ram intensive. The switch changes the addressing. Moves some from the operating system to the program. Maybe CLoD is pushing the standard xp addressing allocation to the limit? I wouldn't be suprised if it was.

HR_Naglfar
10-05-2011, 02:58 PM
I have better performance with XP than with W7 :grin:

Pudfark
10-05-2011, 03:26 PM
Well, I understand the poll...however IMHO it is lacking in definition.
I believe the poll should have reflected something like this...

XP-32
XP-64
W7-32
W7-64 Home
W7-64 Pro
W7-64 Ult
Other?

Then post your reasons why you run whatever....
To post that XP runs better than W7 and not state
which version of W7 is meaningless to everyone...
Their is a huge difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit
versions in performance...and there is a huge, IMHO,
difference in W7 64 Home to W7 64 Pro & Ult....

Further to compare XP 32 to W7 32 is essentially apples to apples,
performance wise...(mem limitations).

Seems to me we need a "bi-poller" to get the true view...;)

II./JG1_Wilcke
10-05-2011, 03:40 PM
On my gaming rig I went from XP Pro 32bit SP3, directly to a fresh install of Win 7 Pro 64bit over a year ago. I can run as much RAM as I can afford.

I have never looked back.

I have to admit that XP was a very robust OS. But I completely skipped the Vista experience.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
10-05-2011, 04:03 PM
XP = Dx9 only
Win 7 = Dx10 and 11

And

XP = 4gb RAM max.
Win 7 64bit = 16gb RAM max (or possibly higher)

That's good enough a warrant upgrading for me.
Oh BTW before anyone says it. That dx10 hack for xp does not really work.

I'm sure you know this but, just in case anyone misunderstood - Win7 runs DX9 also.

I did have Vista 64 prior to Win 7 64. The instablity in Vista occured early in it's release. I didn't have a lot of problems with it during the 14 months or so I used it.

Win 7 64 has been stable as a rock. Much better looking, much more secure and convienant O/S than XP in my experience at home and at work.

Many large organizations are migrating as fast as they can to Win 7 due to security.

S!

Gunny

MadBlaster
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Suprised no one has mentioned Window 8 in this thread yet. I read business can't wait to spend more money for that!:rolleyes: Windows 7, obsolete in just few months guys. :-P So I think I'll just skip it.

Really, don't you think the constant pc upgrade battle gets old after a while? I can play atari centipede or asteroids and still have fun.

Vengeanze
10-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Well, I understand the poll...however IMHO it is lacking in definition.
I believe the poll should have reflected something like this...

XP-32
XP-64
W7-32
W7-64 Home
W7-64 Pro
W7-64 Ult
Other?

Then post your reasons why you run whatever....
To post that XP runs better than W7 and not state
which version of W7 is meaningless to everyone...
Their is a huge difference between the 32 bit and 64 bit
versions in performance...and there is a huge, IMHO,
difference in W7 64 Home to W7 64 Pro & Ult....

Further to compare XP 32 to W7 32 is essentially apples to apples,
performance wise...(mem limitations).

Seems to me we need a "bi-poller" to get the true view...;)
I also "forgot" Vista32/64, srv03 32/64, srv08/R2 and everything inbetween.
Well u make the poll. ;-)

Fact is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition was released 2005 and W7 was released in 2009.
Crippled Windows 7 home edt with no bells and whistles beats XP64 pro extra plus super deluxe. It's in the core a better OS. Simple as that.

So I wanted to know why people use XP any version before W7 any version.:grin:

MD_Titus
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
because they do, simple as that.

calling for XP support to be dropped is retarded and selfish.

1946 was playable on win98 machines.

slm
10-05-2011, 04:42 PM
I have no intention to install Windows7 to my current PC. I'll get a new 64bit Win7 PC sometime in the future, but I'm not in hurry because all other SW I use works well in XP.

Pudfark
10-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I also "forgot" Vista32/64, srv03 32/64, srv08/R2 and everything inbetween.
Well u make the poll. ;-)

Fact is Windows XP Professional x64 Edition was released 2005 and W7 was released in 2009.
Crippled Windows 7 home edt with no bells and whistles beats XP64 pro extra plus super deluxe. It's in the core a better OS. Simple as that.

So I wanted to know why people use XP any version before W7 any version.:grin:

:)Wasn't trying to sound or be critical...and your explanation makes good sense.

I'll go out on a limb and say this.....to everybody.
If you're not running an SSD with W7 64 Pro or Ult on your system?
And you are capable? Both financially and hardware wise to do it?
You have no idea of what you are missing out on....The cheapest speed
you will ever purchase. It doesn't matter if you have AMD or Intel system...Desktop or Laptop.

A lot of folks here are far smarter than me and I acknowledge that...
Some of y'all are plumb brilliant...:)

Thanks...