PDA

View Full Version : Overclocking GTX 480

smink1701
10-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyone see much improvement when overclocking this card? If so, how much did you overclock and what program did you use? Just wondering if this was worth doing.

Thanks

Tvrdi
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Dunno which version of GTX480 you have but I have GTX470 Twinforzr2 with aftermarket coolers (much better than on reference cards) and I overclocked core to 750 mhz. Im using MSI Afterburner as I think its the best tool now. Its free ofcourse. So if you dont have a better coolers watch out for temps as you overclock. You should see improvements in FPS.

smink1701
10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your reply. Not sure what I have other than 480 but I do know that my system (ibuypower) is water cooled.

Tbone81
10-04-2011, 07:29 PM
Hi

I´ve tried overclocking my GTX 460M 1,5GB without great success. Very little improvement, maybe 2-3 fps.

I used MSI Afterburner.

Stock:

Core Clock: 675
Shader Clock: 1350
Memory Clock: 1250

OC:

Core Clock: 820
Shader Clock: 1640
Memory Clock: 1390

Pudfark
10-04-2011, 07:52 PM
I overclocked my 465GTX 1gig.... incrementally until it would crash...I observed no improvement...It very well could be my poor overclocking skills...(sigh)..:confused:

smink1701
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
Dunno which version of GTX480 you have but I have GTX470 Twinforzr2 with aftermarket coolers (much better than on reference cards) and I overclocked core to 750 mhz. Im using MSI Afterburner as I think its the best tool now. Its free ofcourse. So if you dont have a better coolers watch out for temps as you overclock. You should see improvements in FPS.

Did you see much improvement?

Tvrdi
10-04-2011, 08:25 PM
Did you see much improvement?

yes, game is smoother and Im having more FPS.....when I asked you about your GTX468, was asking which vendor it is and which type...is it MSI, Gainward, Gigabyte, is it reference design or with custom cooling solution....water cooling you have in your case but whats on the video card itself?

smink1701
10-04-2011, 09:59 PM
yes, game is smoother and Im having more FPS.....when I asked you about your GTX468, was asking which vendor it is and which type...is it MSI, Gainward, Gigabyte, is it reference design or with custom cooling solution....water cooling you have in your case but whats on the video card itself?

My gtx 480 card is made by Palit.

Tvrdi
10-04-2011, 11:36 PM
My gtx 480 card is made by Palit.

this one (reference design):
http://www.geeks3d.com/public/jegx/201003/palit_gtx480.jpg

or this one (with custom cooler):
http://img.donanimhaber.com/images/haber/palit_cdfermi_1_dh_fx57.jpg

Either way you can overclock your card but with custom cooling solution you will be able to overclock a bit higher without raising temp too much...after each raising (youll need to rasie a voltage a bit) run benchmark tool (such is 3d mark) and check for possible artifacts and check for temps....

ATAG_Doc
10-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I have a water cooled gtx 480 and have cranked it up enough to get the water nice and warm stress testing it but really couldn't see a big improvement in game.

NedLynch
10-05-2011, 12:39 AM
It seems the game benefits much more from increased cpu performance.

Overclocking your cpu via the fsb, raising ram speed and the northbridge frequency, has the best effect for smoother gameplay/ higher fps.

I would see overclocking the gpu as a supplementary measure, I do it from time to time for this game, but the effect is not as performance enhancing as in other games.

Tvrdi
10-05-2011, 01:39 PM
It seems the game benefits much more from increased cpu performance.

Overclocking your cpu via the fsb, raising ram speed and the northbridge frequency, has the best effect for smoother gameplay/ higher fps.

I would see overclocking the gpu as a supplementary measure, I do it from time to time for this game, but the effect is not as performance enhancing as in other games.

I think my i7920 OC to 3.5 Ghz should be enough for smooth playing the CLOD....I certainly saw performance gain with OC-king my GPU....the trick is you need to OC both and find a "sweet spot" so you wont end up with one OC too high or too low....anyway my gpu is loaded on max and CPU is far away from used 100%....ofcourse this sim need more fine tuning in "optimisation area"....this sim runs fine (on most occasions) on my rig (with latest beta) but thats with slightly reduced landscape and without shadows...