PDA

View Full Version : Men of War / IL-2 Crossover

Shardur
10-04-2011, 10:26 AM
I enjoy both "IL-2 (1946 UP3/DBW, DCG)" and "Men of War (no mods so far)" immensely, but i really am missing the other game when i play one of them.

In "Men of War" I miss a fierce air battle being fought over my head that influences the battlefield with unpredictable attacks, bombing runs that actually have to be planed before the mission, bombs that are jettisoned over friendly lines due to enemy interceptors attacking the bombers...

While in "IL-2" I am missing a real ground war that is fought below me and can be influenced form the air. Dive bombing enemy defense strongpoints is way more gratifying than killing that same convoy again that is driving down the road.

Those two games in combination with a dynamic campaign multi player, roughly along the lines of DCG, would be an endless amount of fun.

I know it's probably unrealistic to see a Strategy - Flight Sim game in the near future but I'd like to throw the idea out there and see if anyone else actually thinks this would be a good thing.

Bobb4
10-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Sigh, its been done although very badly.
Download world war 2 online.
It is a plane, navy and ground warfare sim all rolled into one.
Graphics are a bit dated but it has it's moments.
It is not a game i would recommend though, but if you want to see what could be given resources and a keen developer then take a look. ;)

But if it is warfare strategy and flight sim then fly an IL2 SEOW campaign.
There are plenty of squadrons who take part in online SEOW wars including ours. You get to ground plan, and then fly.
A lot of anti-ground (mud) missions are normally flown.
In our current campaign I managed to land sixty plus tank, arty and infantry divisions behind enemy lines which clears me to capture at least two control points.

Google SEOW for more info on what the mod is we use.

http://69giap.com

Feathered_IV
10-04-2011, 11:13 AM
I love Men of War. I'd really like a added "gunsight view" to the tanks in direct-control mode though. That would be the best.

Shardur
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
I think I have made not clear enough what i want so here some clarification:

I don't want a simulator that simulates everything. I don't think a gunsight view would be a nice thing to have for MoW.

I propose a game where the ground combat would be handled as a strategy game like in MoW while the Air combat would be handled as a simulator like IL-2.

That means that in a 4v4 battle 4 (2 on each side) player would face each other on the ground as strategy game players (and no command bunkers with a FPS char inside real strategy without physical form of the commander) while the other 4 players would lead squads in the air (or just fly a single plane if they like that better) and fight over air superiority so they (or the bombers belonging to their side) can influence the war on the ground since that is after all where the map will be won in the end.

pupo162
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM

I don't want a simulator that simulates everything. I don't think a gunsight view would be a nice thing to have for MoW.

I propose a game where the ground combat would be handled as a strategy game like in MoW while the Air combat would be handled as a simulator like IL-2.

That means that in a 4v4 battle 4 (2 on each side) player would face each other on the ground as strategy game players (and no command bunkers with a FPS char inside real strategy without physical form of the commander) while the other 4 players would lead squads in the air (or just fly a single plane if they like that better) and fight over air superiority so they (or the bombers belonging to their side) can influence the war on the ground since that is after all where the map will be won in the end.

preatty much a real time SEOW. sounds nice. and not that implausible.

Bobb4
10-04-2011, 01:15 PM

Lost me there ;) Theatre of war 2 comes close to what you ask for.
Consider the scale of map you would have to play on.
4x4 players fighting it out might be fun, but what is in it for the flight sim guys. They are shooting at ai basically on the ground control by a player.
You would click point at location X and your troops using ai path-finding will try and get there.
What the flight sim pilot would see as a real living breathing world you would be seeing as an RTS game from a look down perspective.

Battlefield 1943 at least puts both players in the action.
Honestly this is definately a case of two genres that do not work well together.
My 2 cents :)

Zoom2136
10-04-2011, 02:32 PM
What you are discribing is what Oleg had originally in mind for the future of COD.

I think that eventually it would be great thing.

Ataros
10-04-2011, 07:27 PM
Now it is possible to program a Mission Menu (TAB - 4 menu) to give orders to ground units through it by setting waypoints, etc.

The only issue I see is you have to switch Map Icons on to be able to actually see where your ground units are going or to use an external web interface made in Silverlight for instance to command ground units. But all this is already possible in CloD if someone who knows C# decides to program it.