PDA

View Full Version : IL-2 COD Really Comes to Life with a decent Video Card

UberDemon
10-02-2011, 06:14 AM
IL-2 COD Really Comes to Life with a decent Video Card

I was somewhat disappointed when I first started IL-2COD, because I expected it to be something like the previous generation of IL-2s up to 1946. Even with a mid-grade PC with enough memory and graphics card, you would do OK. Let's face it, IL-2 COD is magnitudes more complex than the original series (Remember the roads with only angularly perfect turns? ). I know it is blasphemy I don't custom build my PCs, but for the most part, the HPs I have owned have done the job.

Not too long ago I bought a "higher-end" HP Pavilion (Elite series HPE-500f), and it was perfect for about everything, so I expected it to be suitable for IL-2 COD. No. Not really. I also found out about not being able to update my BIOS on my own and not being able to over-clock (because HP takes those features out of their BIOS due to warranty issues)*. I started to read all the posts about performance issues, so I decreased my video options accordingly. It was pretty depressing, at its lowest settings, COD performed worse than IL-2 1946 at its highest settings in my PC.

With limited options for upgrades to my CPU (AMD 6x 2.7GHz @ 95V), and already decent RAM (8 GB DDR3), I looked into the video options. My PC came with a 300W power supply and an AMD HD 6450 PCIEx16 card with 512MB DDR3 in it. That was the bottleneck. It sounds good but in reality, as I found out, the ATI/AMD series are defined by their series number. Regardless of the 6xxx, it is the hundreds number that defines the quality... so there are major differences between a 64xx series and a 67xx series. The speed of the GPU memory makes a big difference too. (So, less memory that is really fast is much better than a greater number of memory which is slower).

I went to my local electronics shop and got a 600W power supply (because for higher end cards you need an extra power feed) and an XFX Radeon HD6770 with 1 GB DDR5 RAM (which is really fast). The power supply cost me the equivalent of about US$90 (plus VAT) and the video card cost me about US$180 (plus VAT). The sweet talking to my wife to allow me to buy something else related to IL-2, well that was a lot more expensive. In anyway, the amount is not ignorable, but it is not crazy-expensive either.

OH-MY-FRIGGIN-[deity of your preference]... that made all the difference in the world. I can play IL-2 COD (the latest Beta) in a fairly smooth manner. I took several flights on the Bf-109 and Hurricane very close to the ground. Yes there is some stuttering, which 1C really needs to work on, but it decreased a lot. To the point I took the time to write all this down.

My PC configuration is in my signature. My current graphics setting is included below:

1440x900x60 Full Screen
MD:H
BD:H
LD:H
Fr:M
VE:H
TQ:H
AA:Off
AE:Off
SSAO:Off
VSYNC:Off
DD:M
BA:M
LS:M
Grass:On
Shadows:On
Roads:On

(*) Note: By the way, in some HP PCs, there are options for over-clocking, but only via software. With SetFSB software from Mr. Abo (in Japan) one could conceptually over-clock a PC such as mine to about 2.9GHz in a stable manner.

SQB
10-02-2011, 08:07 AM
I have a fairly similar set up to your new one, q8400, 4gb ram and a 68701gb DDR2.

You are right, the graphics card makes it way better, I do need a better cpu though as it freezes up and decreases framerate sometimes.

The main thing is the stuttering, it is really damn hard to fly and shoot when you are jumping around.

Still, the game is running many many many times better than on release.

310_cibule
10-02-2011, 09:10 AM
Confirmed.

3 GB Dual Core CPU, 4 GB RAM and GeForce 580 GTX.

Very good performance. Av. FPS 35+, everything on Very High. 1920x1200x32

waiting for the official patch patiently (and flyable wimpy). Happily ;-)

ATAG_Dutch
10-02-2011, 11:22 AM
Very similar story to mine.

Bought Dell xps8000 jan 2010, upgraded card from Nvidia GT220 to ati 5770 in August 2010, cliffs comes out - poor performance. While waiting for improvements from patches upgraded power supply from 350w to OCR700w (thanks again Venge!).

What prompted me to upgrade the card at this time was that RoF also started to have probs with ATI cards, I lost my temper and bought the card in the sig last week.

Stunning difference. I now run Cliffs of Dover on Very High settings - 8x AA, ssao and v-sync on - comfortably, only needing to lower them for video capture with Fraps, and then only slightly.

This is at 1920x1080 btw.

Edit: and also at low altitude over London, as I discovered last night.

Insuber
10-02-2011, 01:48 PM
A top video card GPU + enough video memory can allow one to run with everything maxed out and limited stutters. I don't have fps issues, but still there are many other things to correct before considering CloD a finished game.

Pudfark
10-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I'm glad you realized such a useful gain in performance in this sim.
I was running an 8800gt and it ran everything (I do,did) at the time and
it still would, with the exception of COD...A year ago, in anticipation of COD,
I bought/installed a GTX465..it was overkill for everything I did at that time..it cost me about $250.00 Over the last six months, since this sim has been released, I find out, that my, now mid range card, is really not acceptable/usable.....Here I have sat, for months, waiting for a game patch or several of them....knowing that, I'm going to have to spend another $550.00 for a 580GTX 3gig ram...if and when they fix this sim? To put it bluntly, I am not going to front 1C any more of my hardware money, until they front the software that I bought six months ago...

I'd bet, I'm not the only one who feels this way....

I really am pleased that you found a way to enjoy what is available in this sim.

Jaws2002
10-02-2011, 05:40 PM
I'm glad you realized such a useful gain in performance in this sim.
I was running an 8800gt and it ran everything (I do,did) at the time and
it still would, with the exception of COD...A year ago, in anticipation of COD,
I bought/installed a GTX465..it was overkill for everything I did at that time..it cost me about $250.00 Over the last six months, since this sim has been released, I find out, that my, now mid range card, is really not acceptable/usable.....Here I have sat, for months, waiting for a game patch or several of them....knowing that, I'm going to have to spend another $550.00 for a 580GTX 3gig ram...if and when they fix this sim? To put it bluntly, I am not going to front 1C any more of my hardware money, until they front the software that I bought six months ago...

I'd bet, I'm not the only one who feels this way....

I really am pleased that you found a way to enjoy what is available in this sim.

Oleg warned everyone a long time ago not to upgrade for COD until the game is out.
You got a video card you didn't need at the time and had to watch it go obsolete before the game was out.
Not their fault really. It was obvious COD would need a monster pc to run. All new sims do.

NedLynch
10-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Pudfark,

6 months ago? Weren't the gtx5xx xards out at that time already?
Anyway, made the same/similar mistake, not related to CoD though.
Bought a gtx470 juuuust before the 5series cards came out, didn't do my research. On the other hand, apart from the 4series cards tending to run rather hot, I don't have any issues regarding frame rate or stutters.

I of course would like to have a 570 with 2.5gb vram (evga makes one), but then again new harware, mobo's and new processors (FX, Ivybridge, pcie x16 3.0 support), are going to come out in the near future, so it is rather difficult to decide where to invest your money at this particular time. Taking a wait and see attitude right now, that dang mistake with the 470 is not going to happen to me again ;).

Pudfark
10-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Oleg warned everyone a long time ago not to upgrade for COD until the game is out.
You got a video card you didn't need at the time and had to watch it go obsolete before the game was out.
Not their fault really. It was obvious COD would need a monster pc to run. All new sims do.

Jaws, I will admit to "my bad"...and upgrading the card..the 8800gt was bottlenecking my processor some at the time...hence, the 465..in anticipation of the game...No 500 series cards were out at that time...

However, who would have "thunk"...six months ago, based on the release then, that a 465 would not run this game on a mid range setting? And arguably now, won't.

Who would knowingly? Spend approx. $600 bucks now, to get current a 580..
to have it go into obsolescence a year from now....when this sim will hopefully be somewhat finished...Not Me.

All I'm saying and meaning...is this?
To chase this sim with your wallet, right now?
Is a waste of money and time.....
I advocate?
Waiting and hoping
vs
Spending and wasting...

That's all and no argument from me....

Pudfark
10-02-2011, 09:21 PM

Jaws, I will admit to "my bad"...and upgrading the card..the 8800gt was bottlenecking my processor some at the time...hence, the 465..in anticipation of the game...No 500 series cards were out at that time...

However, who would have "thunk"...six months ago, based on the release then, that a 465 would not run this game on a mid range setting? And arguably now, won't.

Who would knowingly? Spend approx. $600 bucks now, to get current a 580..
to have it go into obsolescence a year from now....when this sim will hopefully be somewhat finished...Not Me.

All I'm saying and meaning...is this?
To chase this sim with your wallet, right now?
Is a waste of money and time.....
I advocate?
Waiting and hoping
vs
Spending and wasting...

That's all and no argument from me....

He111
10-03-2011, 01:20 AM
The many years we've been waiting for COD, I'd been saving and was able to buy a nice rig when released. I didn't install straight away, waiting for a proper monitor - 120Hz 27" 2ms Samsung and bugs to be fixed (as with ALL PC software these days!!!?? grrrr!) , just installed recently.

BUT once playing, my jaw dropped!, i expected many problems after reading all the negative posts .. BUT NO! it ran first time! :grin: multicore WORKED! :grin: NO STUTTERING!! :grin: on MAX! :grin: .. SLI Worked! :grin: .. rarely do my plans work but this one seems to have nicely.

pity the game did'nt get good reviews when released but it's working great now, and i've tried to promo the game where possible.

These days people seem not to be upgrading their PCs, for some reason? COD proves it's not the end of the PC desktop just yet! :grin:

sorak
10-03-2011, 01:35 AM
Unbelievable!!!! I GOT BETTER HARDWARE AND IT WORKS BETTER

I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT

ATAG_Snapper
10-03-2011, 02:22 AM
Sounds like you got all your ducks in a row and it paid off! I originally played CoD with a GTX285 vid card which worked fine with most settings set to Medium and turning off grass, etc. When I cranked the settings up unfortunately the frame rates got too slow to play, but it gave me a look at how outstanding the graphics can be. The two GTX 560 Ti cards made a huge difference with settings turned up, but I still have to toggle off the mirrors on th Spit and Hurri to keep the frame rates between 50 - 60 over land.

Congrats on your set up.

CrazySchmidt
10-03-2011, 10:21 AM
Hi UD, long time no see. How ya doing mate?

It's funny you know, I have only just last week updated my graphics card from a 9800 GTX to a GTX560 Ti and have also noticed a significant improvement in performance and was thinking I should post here similarly to what you have just noted, but then having noticed your post I thought I would just tag onto yours. :)

It's nice to finally feel this game running smoothly over land for the most part, still some stuttering as reported by many, but very enjoyable now. I actually spent some time just flying around checking out the sights and looking more closely at the render quality as I used to do with IL-2.

It has given me the motivation to start looking more closely at the new animation features with this release and also to start using the FMB, which is a great place to spend some time to discover a lot of the new goodies!

I think it's now reasonable to assume that the whole thing is on track to be a fine follow up addition from our beloved IL-2 and I'm certainly looking forward to all the pending updates.

It's nice to finally be having some fun with this release.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)

CrazySchmidt
10-03-2011, 10:46 AM

I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT

LOL, You sarcastic bitch!! :D

This whole thing was in such a mess when it first was released it really didn't matter what hardware you had, shit was just simply shit. Now there is at least some unit of measure which is what this post is expressing.

But I know you know that. :D

CS. :)

pupo162
10-03-2011, 12:13 PM

I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT

win

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 01:14 PM

I JUST CANT BELIEVE IT

Then that just shows cliffs of dover is very poorly optimised, most new games should run reasonably across most mid range systems. My GTX 560Ti annihilates everything i throw at it, yet i still get huge freezes and stutters.

LoBiSoMeM
10-03-2011, 02:04 PM
Then that just shows cliffs of dover is very poorly optimised, most new games should run reasonably across most mid range systems. My GTX 560Ti annihilates everything i throw at it, yet i still get huge freezes and stutters.

Same VGA, no stutters and freezes in high settings. Put more RAM and upgrade CPU. You are running a SIM, not other FPS title: you need more RAM and CPU speed. Same with ArmA2 series, DCS series.

By the way, your mobo only supports DDR2, isn't? If you upgrade to faster CPU + 8GB DDR3, Cliffs will runs MUCH better, and it's a cheap upgrade! Try it! ;)

UberDemon
10-04-2011, 05:06 AM
Hi UD, long time no see. How ya doing mate?

It's funny you know, I have only just last week updated my graphics card from a 9800 GTX to a GTX560 Ti and have also noticed a significant improvement in performance and was thinking I should post here similarly to what you have just noted, but then having noticed your post I thought I would just tag onto yours. :)

It's nice to finally feel this game running smoothly over land for the most part, still some stuttering as reported by many, but very enjoyable now. I actually spent some time just flying around checking out the sights and looking more closely at the render quality as I used to do with IL-2.

It has given me the motivation to start looking more closely at the new animation features with this release and also to start using the FMB, which is a great place to spend some time to discover a lot of the new goodies!

I think it's now reasonable to assume that the whole thing is on track to be a fine follow up addition from our beloved IL-2 and I'm certainly looking forward to all the pending updates.

It's nice to finally be having some fun with this release.

Cheers, CrazySchmidt. :)

Well hey man! So... still coding much? Once you can see the new features of the landscape, it is night and day compared to the original IL-2... but as it has been noted... this is a complex flight SIM. These applications are magnitudes more intense, and this is a niche market compared to the mega releases which are churned out like clones.

The models are very detailed... and if anything, I think the manning of the gun stations is un-necessarily complex for my taste, but hey.

I hope to see more apps from you. Mission Mate is brilliant.

hiro
10-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Yeah its beast so it needs a beast of a machine to run it.

yeah I'm going to wait . . .

I priced out a system on new egg . . .

its going to run me 1500 USD or more . . .

we got an extra server, and it can run ClOD ok . . . gotta love logitech 3D extreme

if I build now, obsolete, but once the game is solid, if I build then . . . I'll have something good

plus they have new tech coming around the corner like Intel's 3D tri gate transistor and HP's memristor processor, new solid state drives, and FeTram memory . ..

For me its better to wait . . .

322Sqn_Dusty
10-04-2011, 08:56 AM
After adding a SSD for CloD, it ran better. Unfortunatly still got large- and micro stutters. I'm still waiting for better Crossfire support. Two 1 GB ati 4890 OC won't do the trick just yet. So probably it would be more interesting with one 1,5+Gb card and a 4 Gb extra RAM.

addman
10-04-2011, 10:12 AM
After adding a SSD for CloD, it ran better. Unfortunatly still got large- and micro stutters. I'm still waiting for better Crossfire support. Two 1 GB ati 4890 OC won't do the trick just yet. So probably it would be more interesting with one 1,5+Gb card and a 4 Gb extra RAM.

As a non-believer of all the placebo fixes out there I can confirm that a SSD made a BIG difference for me too. In conjunction with the latest beta patch the game runs better than ever.

322Sqn_Dusty
10-05-2011, 07:19 AM
A new marketing idea??.. buy a ssd with Cliffs of Dover. I noticed that the HDD led kept blinking during play, so CloD needs a lot of HDD traffic.