PDA

View Full Version : What would make this game ROCK!

He111
10-01-2011, 09:06 AM
Long campaign, fought over a week or so (game time), fixed number of aircraft each side, germans win if they can land troops on english soil and setup a base on the coast somewhere, English win if they can stop this!

English units - 3 sqdns spits, 5 hurris, 1 blenheim, 1 welly, 3 naval destroyers, 1 unit homeguard inf :grin:

German units - 5 109 E3, 2 110s, 3 stukas, 4 111, 2 88s, 1 dornier, 2 naval landing barge, 1 naval destroyer, 1 german army division.

.. or something like this?

Arthur Ricane
10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Well... dreams... I dream about all these things:

A long dynamic campaign - your career through the whole war to its ending... including maps of the west and middle Europe... aircrafts like Tempest, Typhoon, FW-190 D, Swordfish, american planes, more ships, submarines, carrier like the Ark royal of cource :)

The Mediterranean maps, missions in the North Africa, real battles like Taranto attack or the battle of Malta... of course! :)

Visual things: photorealistic clouds - all the kinds of clouds you can see in the sky. The seasons changing through the campaign - summer, autumn, winter, spring... with green fields in spring, yellow corn in summer, colored trees in autumn and snow in winter... different sea conditions like bigger or smaller waves...
Life in the airfields! People walking, mechanicians working and - in case of the emergency landing - ambulance car and the fire fighting truck coming! During the start: a man showing you the way to the runway!

Ze-Jamz
10-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Patch

Ali Fish
10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Only alot of work in order to Finish the title will make it Rock as you kindly put it.

Alas ! its going no where like many "Rocks".

Feathered_IV
10-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Soul

Continu0
10-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Hello every1

For Single-Players, a "long" campaign is already available. Not Dynamic, but historically correct, now also with rank and medal-System! Will order this in the next few days...

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7871043264/m/8361041349/p/7

http://desastersoft.com/en/1/0/0/0/0/0/product_wick.html

addman
10-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Soul

But it's so high fidelity, it doesn't need soul.:rolleyes: Seriously, I know/feel what you're saying Feathered. I don't feel incentive -particularly after recently becoming a dad- to boot it up, spend at least an hour to create a single mission that I might want to play. It's too time-consuming. I want to be able to boot it up, fly a mission or two in my ongoing "true" dynamic campaign, close it down an go tend to other more important -but less enjoyable- stuff. I appreciate the effort by Luthier and his team but I guess those with a lot more spare time (online squads, hardware tinkers etc.) are more valuable than people like me. I actually don't care at all that FM's are skewed a bit this or that way, that's the least of my concerns about this game. Oops! gotta go, girlfriend and baby on their way back from store, back to reality!:)

He111
10-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Only alot of work in order to Finish the title will make it Rock as you kindley put it.

I'm not sure, most of the parts should already be there ? just extended over multiple days and a AI sequence of Invasion.

pupo162
10-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Hello every1

For Single-Players, a "long" campaign is already available. Not Dynamic, but historically correct, now also with rank and medal-System! Will order this in the next few days...

at a considerable cost for something we were promissed to be in the initial release.

He111
10-01-2011, 12:25 PM
Hello every1

I didn't mean a pilot / squadron campaign, more, a higher up strategic campaign, maybe Dowding V Goering ? A bit like a Total War game but in the air! :grin:

Widow17
10-01-2011, 01:29 PM
well, the combination of good fps, no stutters, good colors, proper flightmodels, proper damagemodels, enough and correct sounds, proper clouds, proper weather, proper landscape textures and a working multiplayer for great 1v1 duels would give me a BLAST.
So far we have the papers, but still no tobacco and no lighter.

swiss
10-01-2011, 02:54 PM
*chuckles*

Richie
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
An F4 and a Mediterranean map

310_cibule
10-03-2011, 12:49 PM
Long awaited patch... & flyable wimpy

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 01:18 PM
What would make this game rock?

It Working, surely?

Oh yeah and all the aircraft we were ment to have :p

addman
10-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Being able to order your flight to attack ground targets...oh wait! IL-2 did that 10 years ago!

6S.Tamat
10-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Being able to order your flight to attack ground targets...oh wait! IL-2 did that 10 years ago!

But they put a fully improved graphic engine!

Did they no?

:\

addman
10-03-2011, 02:35 PM
But they put a fully improved graphic engine!

Did they no?

:\

Yes they did and I really appreciate it, still, what does it help if my bomber flights are flying around like clueless sobs whilst I myself try to take out a whole convoy of ships?

JG52Krupi
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Just fly online for the moment, in the ATAG server we often go on ship bombing raids... Very cool.

ATAG_Snapper
10-03-2011, 03:49 PM
Yes they did and I really appreciate it, still, what does it help if my bomber flights are flying around like clueless sobs whilst I myself try to take out a whole convoy of ships?

Well, it looks like we'll soon get to see our AI wingmen ignore ground targets in 3D!

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 04:01 PM
Well, it looks like we'll soon get to see our AI wingmen ignore ground targets in 3D!

LMAO, how true. But, we have a collection of high poly models at least :-P cos thats all this game is at the moment.

JG52Krupi
10-03-2011, 04:03 PM
If you seriously think that then you need your head examining....

icarus
10-03-2011, 04:05 PM
A finished CoD in my lifetime. Not asking much.

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 04:30 PM
if you seriously think that then you need your head examining....

lmao im not interested in having a girly squabble with you cos our opinions differ.
You arnt gonna change what i think, and i have no intention of trying to for you either. money well spent will do that for me.

trumps
10-03-2011, 04:36 PM
Persistent ground target damage, if I give one of the airfields a pasting I would like to see it become unservicable, and any planes trying to take off or land come a cropper if they hit a bomb crater.

Craig

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Persistent ground target damage, if I give one of the airfields a pasting I would like to see it become unservicable, and any planes trying to take off or land come a cropper if they hit a bomb crater.

Craig

Great idea I'd love to see that in the future too along with the ability for repair over time.

robtek
10-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Great idea I'd love to see that in the future too along with the ability for repair over time.

And no doubt, you expect this to run with 60 fps on your machine, everything turned on. :D

Gerbil Maximus
10-03-2011, 04:59 PM
And no doubt, you expect this to run with 60 fps on your machine, everything turned on. :D

:D Naturally ... joker :D

To be fair i just upgraded so i get quite reasonable performance apart from long freezes and the like. i did notice something odd the other day actually i got great frames low down and up high but in the middle between 6000 and 10,000+ it went really laggy with lots of freezes. Probaly cos its beta though.

Slatz
10-03-2011, 10:55 PM
Not having people start threads like this one.:)

THIS game already ROCKS.

GOZR
10-03-2011, 11:31 PM
Russian scenario that would make things great .. :)

He111
10-03-2011, 11:42 PM
Not having people start threads like this one.:)

THIS game already ROCKS.

Mr "10 posts" is such an expert! :grin:

Game is great but needs add more addictive aspects to ROCK.

6S.Tamat
10-03-2011, 11:49 PM

lol indeed mine was sarcasm.. lol

hc_wolf
10-04-2011, 12:11 AM
We are only going to get true dynamic and long....long playtime in a single session or ongoing war over a few days if we can implement Land > Refule, Re-arm (maybe repair = longer wait) and takeoff.

He111
10-04-2011, 02:48 AM
We are only going to get true dynamic and long....long playtime in a single session or ongoing war over a few days if we can implement Land > Refule, Re-arm (maybe repair = longer wait) and takeoff.

I'd pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for that! :grin:

.. must .. control .. self .. wallet .. burning ..'ole .. must .. resist .. must ... patient ... ly ... wait .... .. . (takes tablets) .. Ahhhhh! :-)

hiro
10-04-2011, 06:48 AM
http://www.hazegray.org/navhist/carriers/images/japan/zuiho-2.jpg

provided the basics are fixed :D

klem
10-04-2011, 07:29 AM
Long campaign, fought over a week or so (game time), fixed number of aircraft each side, germans win if they can land troops on english soil and setup a base on the coast somewhere, English win if they can stop this!

English units - 3 sqdns spits, 5 hurris, 1 blenheim, 1 welly, 3 naval destroyers, 1 unit homeguard inf :grin:

German units - 5 109 E3, 2 110s, 3 stukas, 4 111, 2 88s, 1 dornier, 2 naval landing barge, 1 naval destroyer, 1 german army division.

.. or something like this?

Well He111 your title was taken as a question rather than a suggestion so it opened the usual can of worms but, back on your topic, these were called 'scenarios' in Aces High and Air Warrior and I miss them very much. There would be as many as 400 people flying, organised into units after pre-registration, given unit assignments etc. The campaign would be flown over, say, six weekends of two or three hour slots or, as we did on a number of occasions, over a whole weekend with players around the world being assigned certain time slots for continuity (that tended to dilute the experience because it was unusal to have more then 400-500 players interested). That large human content and all the variations, errors, luck and possibilities made them extremely immersive.

The problem in CoD, as it was in IL-2 '46, is that the game cannot support that many people on line in one server. I think it is data overload for most people's connections even if a high performance Host with a very large bandwitch connection could be found. Imagine those 7 English units and 17 LW units. Not a bad historical balance for a scenario but at say 12 pilots per unit thats 288 players. If only the Fighter and 110 units were 'manned' it would require 180 players. Of course some guys would specifically want to fly Stukas and bombers which would be possible if AI wingmen were provided instead of people. The full 24 'manned' units with AI would be possible with 128 players, say 4 - 6 players per unit plus AI, or Fighters could all have 6 players plus an AI wingman each with less people and more AI in bomber units.

So you can see the problem, scenarios need many people to make them truly immersive and as I understand it CoD cannot support that.

III/JG53_Don
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
As I understand him, that its not really meant to have this amount of planes in one single mission. More like a base of planes in the background of the game which decreases if planes were shot down in the last mission.

He111
10-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Well He111 your title was taken as a question rather than a suggestion so it opened the usual can of worms but, back on your topic, these were called 'scenarios' in Aces High and Air Warrior and I miss them very much. There would be as many as 400 people flying, organised into units after pre-registration, given unit assignments etc. The campaign would be flown over, say, six weekends of two or three hour slots or, as we did on a number of occasions, over a whole weekend with players around the world being assigned certain time slots for continuity (that tended to dilute the experience because it was unusal to have more then 400-500 players interested). That large human content and all the variations, errors, luck and possibilities made them extremely immersive.

The problem in CoD, as it was in IL-2 '46, is that the game cannot support that many people on line in one server. I think it is data overload for most people's connections even if a high performance Host with a very large bandwitch connection could be found. Imagine those 7 English units and 17 LW units. Not a bad historical balance for a scenario but at say 12 pilots per unit thats 288 players. If only the Fighter and 110 units were 'manned' it would require 180 players. Of course some guys would specifically want to fly Stukas and bombers which would be possible if AI wingmen were provided instead of people. The full 24 'manned' units with AI would be possible with 128 players, say 4 - 6 players per unit plus AI, or Fighters could all have 6 players plus an AI wingman each with less people and more AI in bomber units.

So you can see the problem, scenarios need many people to make them truly immersive and as I understand it CoD cannot support that.

Klem, Sorry i didn't explain myself very well, the long campaign is for SINGLE player or 2 players. All aircraft are AI except if player wants to join in a battle. Players take the role of Dowding or Goering, ordering units about - move - attack - defend - reconnoiter etc etc .. if a battle takes place, then the player can join the battle as a pilot. This is obviously a dynamic campaign. It's abit like Total war, where you see a strategic map and you order units about until they fight, then you can zooom in and join the tactical battle.

The german player will want to remove the British Naval destroyers to allow his barges across the channel, this could mean stukas or 88s, these will need protecting. Also barges will need protecting while waiting in coastal ports from night time raids by Wellys etc. The british player will need to protect his radar towers , otherwise he's blind. Both players will need reconnoiter to see what the other player is up to etc etc etc etc .. very stressful and strategically open.

csThor
10-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Personally a strategy campaign belongs to a strategy game. My 0,02 € ... but of course if a real offline campaign was present I'd not oppose it as optional. ;)

He111
10-04-2011, 11:51 AM
I don't think it will require major changes, COD already has the strat map, it just needs to be enlarged to fullscreen, as an opening screen. players can then allocate units to airfields and set inital orders for early morning first day .. and watch what happens. The british with its central command & radar will have a advantage with the amount and speed of information. As the game plays, details could be saved to a stats file. When 2 enemy units intercept, a battle will begin and the player can zooom into the tactical battle.

Doesn't sound too difficult considering most of the difficult work (great battles / terrain) has already been done (AI might need polishing).

klem
10-04-2011, 03:15 PM
Klem, Sorry i didn't explain myself very well, the long campaign is for SINGLE player or 2 players. All aircraft are AI except if player wants to join in a battle. Players take the role of Dowding or Goering, ordering units about - move - attack - defend - reconnoiter etc etc .. if a battle takes place, then the player can join the battle as a pilot. This is obviously a dynamic campaign. It's abit like Total war, where you see a strategic map and you order units about until they fight, then you can zooom in and join the tactical battle.

The german player will want to remove the British Naval destroyers to allow his barges across the channel, this could mean stukas or 88s, these will need protecting. Also barges will need protecting while waiting in coastal ports from night time raids by Wellys etc. The british player will need to protect his radar towers , otherwise he's blind. Both players will need reconnoiter to see what the other player is up to etc etc etc etc .. very stressful and strategically open.

Oh, ok. Guess that's me trying to make my dreams fit the question :)
I only fly on line.

But if it's of interest, I took part in one of those on-line scenarios (Aces High) where I was directing Units. I was the Sector controller for Kenley (actually Kenley and Hornchurch as it turned out because the Hornchurch controller couldn't make it on the day). About five of us were Sector controllers stuck on the ground and had the Radar/RDF available to us (like having the plane icons on the Map in the briefing room). In addition we had some scouts out over the channel. There were two other 'teams' actually flying the aircraft: the RAF (on 'my' side) and the LW.

The RAF depended entirely on directions from the Sector controllers who had no view of what was happening in the air except for the 'RDF' which had something like a 2 minute delay built in. The LW depended entirely on subterfuge, hoax formations and weight of numbers. I had flown in many scenarios by then but my stint as Controller was the most immersive and absorbng of them all and when I sent squadron(s) to intercept the incoming LW purely by grid reference and compass vectors and I heard the leaders call Tally Ho! it was as satisfying as shooting down five 109s. :)

He111
10-14-2011, 12:27 AM
Save mission just like in 1946 .. sadly missed! :(

GOZR
10-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Hummm ! well an other scenario.. I really really can't wait for the Russian front or Korea !! that is success guaranteed... ;) ..... well if the Performance and AA Xfire SLI are fixed ;)