PDA

View Full Version : This game is actually really great

Mr Greezy
09-29-2011, 07:58 AM
I, like many, initially got Cliffs Of Dover and threw my hands up in despair. For me, the biggest obstacle at first was my super big expensive computer unable to run the game smoothly. Out of pride, I shelved it.

Now, after some patches, after some driver releases, after forcing FXAA and countless other nVidia Inspector tweaks, the game runs just fine. Yes, there are stutters and FPS drops and glitches and all that, but it runs.

Having spent the better part of the past five hours playing the game straight, I've realized just how much of a little treasure it is. The graphics are actually very good. To be smoothed out and enhanced, but good. I was noticing, during a steep ascending bank (to have another pass at that pesky supply train) that my BF110 made a soft shadow on the ground as opposed to a hard one, just smaller. That may seem like something trivial, but it's actually a really cool detail. There are loads of hidden gems like that throughout the sim. For instance, just after that, I strafe the train popping off cars here and there and then BOOM!!! I must've hit the fuel car because I flew through a massive fireball. On my next run I went for the locomotive and remarked how neat it was that, just like in the countless WWII guncam footage I've seen, how a steam powered locomotive's engine will start erupting steam where it's it, finally culminating in a big poof of steam rising upwards. They have that in game. That very real, very true to life experience is in this game. I know. Little thing.

Sitting on the runway clicking away at some of the greatest cockpits ever made is truly amazing. IMO the best cockpits in any sim, combat or no. You can do a legitimately pre-flight checklist. And when you're finally up in the air, this sim has a great feeling for flight. I think flight models still need tweaking, but the CORE is there. If there was a 109 sitting outside my house I would know how to start it up. That's cool.

Honestly I just walked away from my "session" very impressed. There are graphics enhancements, performance boots (overall and in regards to SLI), there's a ton of AI work to be done, AI comms, the whole menu for selecting campaigns and missions and then what planes to fly is unattractive and inefficient, more campaigns, dynamic campaigns, an easier interface for navigating multiplayer, and I'm sure I'm missing just a ton of other things. A big thing is immersion. Playing career mode in Rise Of Flight and then trying CloD's version of it, it feels sterile in comparison.

But I hope when it's all said and done you've got the core game how it needs to be, then start releasing expansion packs like a tornado. Seeing as how compelling this game is in its current state and how utterly fantastic it will be when it's fully realized, I can't wait to tackle Africa, the Mediterranean campaigns, all the possibilities on the Eastern Front, and everything on the Pacific too. With these plane sets now, at least for the Germans, I'd love to see a Spanish Civil War campaign. Just great.

So, to the devs, keep up the good work. Fix the game as you're doing and I will buy every single expansion pack released. Yay!

Ataros
09-29-2011, 09:26 AM
You may wish to download some great user-made campaigns from airwarfare.com . They are more immersive than the stock one.

Ze-Jamz
09-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Just to add to the OP's title:

Yes it is :)

Feathered_IV
09-29-2011, 11:51 AM
I haven't really made friends with it yet. For me it doesn't have any soul to it. It doesn't inspire. Hopefully that will happen with time though.

senseispcc
09-29-2011, 12:12 PM
I said some time ago the game of the year and I say it again....:cool:

ATAG_Dutch
09-29-2011, 12:16 PM
It's beginning to come good, but 'great' is a word I'd reserve for an indeterminate point in the future.;)

Sven
09-29-2011, 02:21 PM
It is certainly a good game, I play it very frequently now. Messing around in the FMB and then some MP mostly :grin:

Mr Greezy
09-29-2011, 04:09 PM
Well, yes, I fully realize that the game as a whole is not "great". Truly great games can be counted on perhaps two hands.

But it has the makings of it. I guess I was trying to say that last night I saw the spark that some people on the forums were talking about. Up until last night all I saw was a frustrating and broken game. So my little rant there (which might've come across as insane as I just taken an Ambien) was to say: wow, if this game gets fully realized and patched to perfection, then additional content added, it truly will be the perfect followup to the IL2 series I know and love.

A lot needs to happen in order to do that, but if it does...dang.

You may wish to download some great user-made campaigns from airwarfare.com . They are more immersive than the stock one.

I downloaded a bunch and I could only manage to set up two of them. Was I correct in that the only way to set them up is to edit (I'm forgetting the name of it) the campaign list file? There's no easy to use utility or anything is there? Also, if there a BF110 campaign? I'm suddenly in love with that lumbering beast.

bolox
09-29-2011, 05:06 PM
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=23908

utility for campaign installation;)

Swoop
09-29-2011, 08:39 PM
Gettimg online and fighting with others who have also struggled with learning their aircraft - and surviving, feels like a real achivement and a little closer to understanding what those brave men did.

Keep up the great work please Devs and thanks :grin:

NedLynch
09-30-2011, 12:28 AM
I have nvidia inspector, would you be willing to post what you tweaked for the game?

Klabo
10-01-2011, 03:16 PM
Well When this game will be fix. We will have at least two or three new ones with same or better futures.;)

-=FA=-Klabo

Winger
10-01-2011, 05:53 PM
I know the answer to the headline of the OP:

A PATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Winger

hiro
10-04-2011, 06:40 AM
yeah its coming along good!