PDA

View Full Version : COd just went from 10fps to 40.

pupo162
09-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Hi!

i just fixed my Cod issues, wich i was having since last official release.

my FPS just had a boost, london is now flyable on about 20 fps alone. and stutters are preaty much gone. I used to have stuters all the time and some 20 fps tops, in london i got 1/3 of fps.

the reason?

apparently on the last install from scratch :rolleyes:steam:rolleyes: wrote on my conf.ini:

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

And when replaced by

[window]
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

changed the whole game for me. Im up for flying jsut wanted to leave the tip to people having desaustrous performances.

cheers

SEE
09-23-2011, 10:43 PM
I just tried that in a few SP missions. It seems a lot better so thanks for sharing. Will try a few more.

Mossman
09-23-2011, 10:46 PM
That gave me an extra 10-15 fps, thanks!

burlaff
09-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Not sure if it's just a placebo effect, but the game feels smoother now. Especially over London where stutters are now virtually non existent!

pupo162
09-23-2011, 10:54 PM
jsut tried online, had always 25+ ecxcept when i attacked a group of bombers, and got stuck at the 15-20 range, and some stutters.

its starting to feel playable.:grin:

LoBiSoMeM
09-23-2011, 11:22 PM
Amazing! You discover a MAJOR bug in last Beta/Official patch! More FPS here and I don't have the gigantic "sun glare"!

PLEASE MG NOTE THIS!!!!

mcler002
09-23-2011, 11:36 PM
Nice one!

Rince
09-23-2011, 11:42 PM
Aloha!

I just tried it, but for me it doesn`t make an obvious difference! I still got the problem that i got stutters at a special altitude and when I`m looking to the front! When I`m turnig my head sideways, it runs fluid an with a good fps! I once read in the forum that it`s about the upcoming textures that needed to be load, but that doesn`t explain why it`s ok, when I`m fying at a low altitude looking to the front without stuttering!
But anyway, i wait for the release of the patch maybe it runs better.

Thanks for the tip!

Rince!

ingsoc84
09-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Where do I access these config files? thanks

burlaff
09-23-2011, 11:49 PM
Go to your 'My Documents Folder' where there should be a folder called 1c Softclub of something. Then click on that and open the IL2 CLiffs of Dover folder and in there you'll find a load of files and folders. Click on the Conf.ini and there you go!

GOZR
09-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Why developers can't find something that simple ?
It just blow my mind !!!!

CWMV
09-23-2011, 11:58 PM
Oh wow...Im going to check this with Fraps!
Good catch!
EDIT: Actually, my FPS dropped by two on the low end, and didnt change at all up top.
Still averaging about 50fps though, and it does seem smoother, but if it really is or its just wishful thinking...

ATAG_Dutch
09-24-2011, 12:07 AM
Hi!

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

And when replaced by

[window]
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

changed the whole game for me. Im up for flying jsut wanted to leave the tip to people having desaustrous performances.

cheers

Oh no.........I've just spent £250 on a new card. Thanks mate, you've made my day.

ATAG_Snapper
09-24-2011, 12:15 AM
I just gave it a quick try on a mission from The Enlightened Florist Campaign and it does seem to smooth things out. Certainly didn't hurt! Thanks, Pupo.

droz
09-24-2011, 12:22 AM
wait, so it's

DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

now.

Do I switch it to 32 and 16 to get better performance?

Majo
09-24-2011, 12:22 AM
Oh my god...how could this be!!!

Death Track Average from 46 to 55 FPS.
Still valleys with high load in "Effects" but a CLEAR improvement.

I have to go tell my friends...:grin:

Thank you & Salutes.

ATAG_Snapper
09-24-2011, 12:25 AM
Do you need to change it in both the 1C Softclub folder and the Steam/Steamapps/Common folders? Or is just 1 good enough? (At work so can't test for a couple of hours)

CH, I just did it in the Softclub folder and it seemed to work. I didn't touch the Steam folder at all.

macro
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSE4LqbWfEZvltbXNccEf-8ybOSSGh3Si7YBcaA7dHPmeZed7chw

Troll2k
09-24-2011, 01:47 AM
My Black Death track average went from 19 to 21.It still stutters and has short freezes.

Blackdog_kt
09-24-2011, 01:49 AM
Good catch there, will try it out tomorrow.

As for what to edit, it's the conf.ini in the documents folders you need as that's where your settings are applied. The conf.ini inside the game's main folder is like a "default draft backup" of sorts, just a default base setting that the game uses as a starting point: if for example you delete your conf.ini from the documents folders, the game checks on each run and if it doesn't find it, it will copy over the conf.ini from its main folder as a starting point, but all settings are applied in the conf.ini that lies within the documents folder.

SEE
09-24-2011, 02:54 AM
Once again, thanks Pupo, I noticed that the original entry had two spaces after the string. May be it was just my file but all the other strings have the = sign directly after it. The extra spaces may not have any significance but thought it may be worth mentioning, I removed the spaces as well.

MadBlaster
09-24-2011, 03:21 AM
I'm wondering why this would make a difference. I don't have win 7. Is there an option for (32+16) 48 bit color in the monitor settings? So, if you have a graphics card that can handle it and win 7, I guess the extra data per pixel makes it run smoother?

katdogfizzow
09-24-2011, 03:58 AM
Id like to think this works for me too...seems like an improvement yes...not a huge fps, but smoother..

flightdok
09-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Amazing, this little fix and my game has gone from barely playible on low to medium settings, now changed to high and ultra high settings on all and no problems or shuttering at all. Thankyou very much for this find. This is now really a truely amazing game.

Windows 7-32 bit with a Nvidia GTX 285 card and 4 Gigs usible.

Anders_And
09-24-2011, 04:30 AM
Big + on my computer!
Can now fly over London with ALOT less stutters. Could even increase "amount of buildings! to medium setting and play happily! :)

I changed the conf.ini in both the game folder and in my documents folder just to be sure...

Thank you!

Wolf_Rider
09-24-2011, 04:33 AM
This find works really well on the pre beta patch install... though after installing the Beta patch, motion is really scratchy and FPS lower.

av 10 fps less on The Black death post patch

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 05:20 AM
Please guys... look at the sun with:

[window]
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

And after try with:

[window]
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

NO MORE BUGGED SUN GLARE! :)

Just that make my day!

NedLynch
09-24-2011, 05:34 AM
I did not notice a real significant increase in fps, still have to check out the sun glare.
Tried it out on quick mission british attack on airfield, lots of clouds and I ramped up the number of airplanes a little, using this as my perfromance test mission. Going to try it out of course in the other missions as well and in TEF campaign.

Did anyone try to find a difference after applying this in regards to vsyn?
I so far cannot play without vsync, mostly the game runs ok, but as soon as I fly through a cloud the prop starts flickering like crazy.

albx
09-24-2011, 06:29 AM
I still get sun glare, but no where near as pronounced. I can't quite tell for sure, but everything looks brighter too. I did have some issues I haven't had before with the screen flickering when going through a cloud. Vsync works the same both before and after on my system, but my card can pump out way more than my monitor can handle, so I expected that. My problems are normally tearing while panning with TrackIR. With the better fps, I've been able to increase some settings again, and still seems much smoother.

Haven't run a BlackForest track yet though, I'll wait til tomorrow to do that.

If you enable Vsync you shouldn't have tearings. Be sure to enable it from the game and disable from the videocard control panel (what do you have? ATI or Nvidia?)

pupo162
09-24-2011, 08:32 AM
hoah. i didnt expect this breakdown.

i changed both conf.inis, since i really dont understnad wish one does what.

i use win7 64 bits.

mazex
09-24-2011, 09:45 AM
I changed to these settings and saw no improvement in the Black Death track - actually lost one fps in average but that is out of the statistic margin as I only ran it once...

However it feels smoother in actual gameplay but I'm pretty sure it's placebo or some pseudo Hawthorne effect ;) Never underestimate that one for us glass half full people :)

As a side note - is there really any support in DirectX for 32-bit bit depth? Windows classic 32-bit color is really 24-bit with 8-bit alpha (just as the original setting) - even though there has been talk of increasing it - but I guess the human eye is really lost after 24 any way?

EDIT: Even if the setting is really not valid (though there is a DirectX D3DFMT_D32 depth buffer available in Dx9 it's deprecated in Dx10 for something else - does it really work on todays hardware?) - it's really interesting that some people here see massive improvements (as some side effect I guess by driver/dx going to some default setting instead?). The devs analyzing that could lead to good stuff!

pupo162
09-24-2011, 09:58 AM
I changed to these settings and saw no improvement in the Black Death track - actually lost one fps in average but that is out of the statistic margin as I only ran it once...

However it feels smoother in actual gameplay but I'm pretty sure it's placebo or some pseudo Hawthorne effect ;) Never underestimate that one for us glass half full people :)

As a side note - is there really any support in DirectX for 32-bit bit depth? Windows classic 32-bit color is really 24-bit with 8-bit alpha (just as the original setting) - even though there has been talk of increasing it - but I guess the human eye is really lost after 24 any way?

EDIT: Even if the setting is really not valid - it's really interesting that some people here see massive improvements (as some side effect I guess by driver/dx going to some default setting instead?). The devs analyzing that could lead to good stuff!

well my improvement is definitely valid. i could bring some prints, or a video, but im not talking about a 5 fps difference, im talking about making the game playable.

mazex
09-24-2011, 10:09 AM
well my improvement is definitely valid. i could bring some prints, or a video, but im not talking about a 5 fps difference, im talking about making the game playable.

Well, I'm not questioning that - the interesting thing is that in my knowledge it's not possible to use 32-bit depth with 16-bit stencil buffer. Even 8-bit stencil should not be possible as you get no bits left for stencil at all using 32-bits bor color depth. The correct setting should in that case be 32-bit color and 0-bit stencil? Anyway, the settings in the conf-ini are matched in the engine to some of the depth buffer D3DFORMAT enumerations like D3DFMT_D32 (32-bit color no stencil in Dx 9 - deprecated in Dx10).

So... 32-bit color and 16-bit stencil should not be possible and therefore you get some other default format that makes the game go faster for some rigs is my guess... But what do I know?

pupo162
09-24-2011, 10:24 AM
Well, I'm not questioning that - the interesting thing is that in my knowledge it's not possible to use 32-bit depth with 16-bit stencil buffer. Even 8-bit stencil should not be possible as you get no bits left for stencil at all using 32-bits bor color depth. The correct setting should in that case be 32-bit color and 0-bit stencil? Anyway, the settings in the conf-ini are matched in the engine to some of the depth buffer D3DFORMAT enumerations like D3DFMT_D32 (32-bit color no stencil in Dx 9 - deprecated in Dx10).

So... 32-bit color and 16-bit stencil should not be possible and therefore you get some other default format that makes the game go faster for some rigs is my guess... But what do I know?

:eek:

thats chinese to me XD. i made this "discovery" upon finding a random confini posted in this foruns of the first days of COD were we had these values instead of the ones steam diceded to put in my PC.

i have no ideia what any of these lines actually change, but i like the result of the change.

ATAG_Dutch
09-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Pupo, before I install my new card, have you disabled aero in launcher properties? And can a knowledgable person tell me if this would make a difference to the effect?

I currently have the same card as you, with aero disabled.

Many thanks.

Edit: This was when I still had my 5770 installed

pupo162
09-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Pupo, before I install my new card, have you disabled aero in launcher properties? And can a knowledgable person tell me if this would make a difference to the effect?

I currently have the same card as you, with aero disabled.

Many thanks.

i have had aero disabled since day 1 of COD release. I never brought it on again to see if has any difference becouse i dont like it anyway. so i cant be of much help

David198502
09-24-2011, 10:44 AM
well i will try it out.....but my conf.ini looks like that:

[window]
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

should i leave the space between DepthBits and the =

????

pupo162
09-24-2011, 10:46 AM
well i will try it out.....but my conf.ini looks like that:

[window]
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

should i leave the space between DepthBits and the =

????

i have no ideia, try to remove it. but my guess is if there was a sintax error, il2 would detect it and re write thatt code line. He does that if you delete or rewrite other stuff.

ATAG_Dutch
09-24-2011, 10:48 AM
i have had aero disabled since day 1 of COD release. I never brought it on again to see if has any difference becouse i dont like it anyway. so i cant be of much help

Ok mate, I'll run a quick 'black death' before and after your settings. Cheers.

Edit: This was when I still had my 5770 installed

David198502
09-24-2011, 11:00 AM
can someone post screenshots of the sunglare before and after changing the conf.ini file?
cause i looked at the sun, and didnt recognize a difference.at least not that much that i could really tell.
but i my impression is, that the colours are affected by that change.everything looks more bright i think.i first recognized that when looking at explosions.they seem to be less orange and more bright yellow now.but that could be placebo....

highness
09-24-2011, 11:12 AM
just did the changes, before & after
not much difference for me here. :(

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 11:25 AM
can someone post screenshots of the sunglare before and after changing the conf.ini file?
cause i looked at the sun, and didnt recognize a difference.at least not that much that i could really tell.
but i my impression is, that the colours are affected by that change.everything looks more bright i think.i first recognized that when looking at explosions.they seem to be less orange and more bright yellow now.but that could be placebo....

I reverse the numbers, remains the same... But I don't have anymore the "all screen white" sun glare, with any of the settings...

This sim is strange... The FACT is that last week I can't even look NEAR sun and all my screen looks white. Now it's normal.

I give up! I can't understand these things! :)

And I can't notice FPS further increases in my rig. I was amazed with corrected sun glare, but maybe other things do the trick...

ATAG_Dutch
09-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Ok, here are my Black Death results. I always run through the track twice with each set of changes, because the first run always stutters, the second run smooths out.

1) Frames 4538, Time (ms) 217138, Min 3, Max 60, Avg 20.899
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

2) Frames 4596, Time (ms) 217452, Min 4, Max 59, Avg 21.136
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

3) Frames 4545, Time (ms), 217788, Min 3, Max 61, Avg 20.869
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16
(only changed in documents)

4) Frames 4612, Time (ms) 217957, Min 4, Max 58, Avg 21.160
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

5) Frames 4534, Time (ms) 216676, Min 3, Max 60, Avg 20.925
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16
(Changed in docs and game file)

6) Frames 4594, Time (ms) 217235, Min3, Max 58, Avg 21.148
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

All settings on Medium plus grass, shadows, roads - AA off, epi off, ssao off, vsync off. All CCC settings at 'application controlled' and highest performance settings.

Sorry pupo, no difference here. I wonder what else could be causing it for you? Strange.:confused:

Edit: this test was done with my 5770 before I swapped it for the gtx570 in the sig.

Gerbil Maximus
09-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Small increase here in FPS maybe 5+ but still have stutters and freezes. The change with the sun i think is just placebo effect.

pupo162
09-24-2011, 12:37 PM
Ok, here are my Black Death results. I always run through the track twice with each set of changes, because the first run always stutters, the second run smooths out.

1) Frames 4538, Time (ms) 217138, Min 3, Max 60, Avg 20.899
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

2) Frames 4596, Time (ms) 217452, Min 4, Max 59, Avg 21.136
DepthBits =24
StencilBits=8

3) Frames 4545, Time (ms), 217788, Min 3, Max 61, Avg 20.869
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

4) Frames 4612, Time (ms) 217957, Min 4, Max 58, Avg 21.160
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

5) Frames 4534, Time (ms) 216676, Min 3, Max 60, Avg 20.925
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

6) Frames 4594, Time (ms) 217235, Min3, Max 58, Avg 21.148
DepthBits =32
StencilBits=16

All settings on Medium plus grass, shadows, roads - AA off, epi off, ssao off, vsync off. All CCC settings at 'application controlled' and highest performance settings.

Sorry pupo, no difference here. I wonder what else could be causing it for you? Strange.:confused:

i dunno. i could run a test myself, give me some hours

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 12:42 PM
Small increase here in FPS maybe 5+ but still have stutters and freezes. The change with the sun i think is just placebo effect.

But when the sun turns "normal" again in patch/updates history? :confused:

Now it's ok. This graphics engine is strange... :-P

usr
09-24-2011, 12:50 PM
Did any of you guys who got a clear, obvious improvent try the same thing with a deliberately broken setting? Something impossible like DepthBits=77, StencilBits=55?

If your hardware struggles with 24/8 then maybe it does not allow 32/16 at all, causing the game to fall back to something easier than 24/8 instead (and much easier than 32/16).

Feathered_IV
09-24-2011, 12:53 PM
I got about 10-15x extra frames and a lot less stutter on a low end machine. Thanks for the tip!

macro
09-24-2011, 01:02 PM
yea mines quite low end as well, maybe it help us more?

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Did any of you guys who got a clear, obvious improvent try the same thing with a deliberately broken setting? Something impossible like DepthBits=77, StencilBits=55?

If your hardware struggles with 24/8 then maybe it does not allow 32/16 at all, causing the game to fall back to something easier than 24/8 instead (and much easier than 32/16).

I think just that... And my "unedited" conf.ini has strange "spaces" between DepthBits=24, like DepthBits= (a lot of spaces) 24...

It's a mystery! The only thing I noticed ASAP is that the sun glare now is "normal", and beautifull, not the "all white" it used to be after the last beta patch. I still having issues with some corruption in fountains, injured "red vision" and stuff, but the sun glare now is great! I'll upload a video!

pupo162
09-24-2011, 01:25 PM
im starting to feel like a HOAX :confused:

i jsut tried multiple values for thsoe settings, including the 77/55 and the hold 24/16... truth is performance is the same stable thingy..

i really dont know how is this possible...

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 01:43 PM

i jsut tried multiple values for thsoe settings, including the 77/55 and the hold 24/16... truth is performance is the same stable thingy..

No, it's "normal"... When we got the "Steam Ghost Update", I have BIG gains in performance. And now after "something" the sun glare turns into this beauty:

d7yb-JdyKJk

I don't know if when we edit some configuration files some of the settings go back to "default", if we receive small updates through Steam... What I can say for sure is that here I have BIG performance gains after the "Steam Ghost Update" and now, after edited conf.ini "32/16 and back 24/8" my sun glare is nice! :cool:

Maybe CloD likes to me "rubbed"... :grin:

MadBlaster
09-24-2011, 01:51 PM
In your display settings, is there an option for anything higher than 32-bit color? From what I read on the internet, to run 48 bit color you need win7, a graphics card that supports it (1.3hdmi) and a monitor that supports it. So three things. If you don't have any one of these, then win 7 supposedly won't have that option displayed in your display settings.

Speculating, if the bit settings in your config.ini exceed your hardware/software capability, like other poster said, it could be reverting to something less when the game runs (e.g., 16 bit color) That would use less data, less memory required and maybe less processing. So that might give you better fps/less stutters. You could try this. Go to your windows display settings and set it for 16 bit, then run the game and see what happens to fps and stutters and if the game looks totally different or just slightly different. Also, check to see if anything higher than 32 bit is available to you.

Gerbil Maximus
09-24-2011, 01:52 PM
"Steam Ghost Update" what the heck is that?

Guys sorry but no other game forces you that try to change code left right and centre every other session try to to get it to run or more accurately not crash.

Face it, the game is still more broke than ever, nothing has changed in 6 months, so its slightly more playable than on release, but thats because we have better sounds coming slowly from someone who wasnt even part of their team.

I think its a real poor show. Sorry for being negative :(

pupo162
09-24-2011, 02:17 PM

Guys sorry but no other game forces you that try to change code left right and centre every other session try to to get it to run or more accurately not crash.

Face it, the game is still more broke than ever, nothing has changed in 6 months, so its slightly more playable than on release, but thats because we have better sounds coming slowly from someone who wasnt even part of their team.

steam ghsot update was a 22 mb update that fell off the sky a few weeks ago.

yws the game is broken, but it is starting to work better. im happier now.

BadAim
09-24-2011, 02:30 PM
I'M going with the "game defaulting to some easier setting " theory. As for the game being broke, we all know that already. It's a simple matter of Oleg's creative genius running way ahead of his organizational prowess for way too long. (IMHO) I have high hopes that Luther will fix it, but you can't dig out of a hole that took several years to get into overnight.

kakkola
09-24-2011, 02:37 PM
No difference for me but thx:)

MD_Titus
09-24-2011, 04:04 PM

you're really not used to flight sim tweaking are you? it's not tweaking code, it's changing a configuration settings file that is more complex than any gui could hope to make navigable.

the sounds make no difference to how playable a game is, but most certainly a lot of things have changed - those included. i can only speak for myself of course, but since this beta patch came out, and with this little tweak, i've been playing on and offline with a smoother game. i've got vastly improved performance since release. it's not near finished, perfect nor has it got the stability and playability of 1946 yet, but it's going in the right direction.

flightdok
09-24-2011, 04:21 PM
Does anyone else have this problem, I added a new view window on the top left and when i restart the game, there is a blank grew square on the top left of the screen, does anyone know how to get rid of that?

flyingblind
09-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Changed my config as suggested and did seem to get some improvement in fps and smoothness. After the computer had been turned off and I restarted the game I found the objects had gained icons when they were turned off before and also some dialogue windows had suddenly appeared. I turned off the icons again in options and that got rid of the windows as well. I think the improvements are still there but they are not very large, maybe 5 fps or so but noticable.

Thanks for the tip.

ATAG_Dutch
09-24-2011, 04:26 PM
Since I swapped my Sapphire 5770 for an EVGA gtx 570HD after I tested this earlier today, I thought people might be interested in the Black Death results using the same in game settings (Everything on medium plus shadows, grass, roads, no AA, epi off, ssao off, vsync off) and the new card.

This is with the standard DepthBits =24 StencilBits=8.

Frames 8088, Time (ms) 217650, Min 8, Max 84, Avg 37.161

So my new card has almost doubled the frame rate on these settings.

But then, I put all game settings on Very high, 8xAA, epi off, ssao and Vsync on and got this;

Frames 6366, Time (ms) 216867, Min 9, Max 62, Avg 29.354

Which does me fine for now :grin:

I'll try with the 'Bits' altered again and edit this post once done.

flightdok
09-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Can someone tell me how to check my FPS. in the game?... thankyou

flyingblind
09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
There is a file called rcu in documents - 1C Softclub - il-2 sturmovic cliffs of dover.

Open it with notepad and add three more lines so it looks like this:

@set fast off
@set echo on
@set alias on
@set history 20

@alias a alias
@a h history
@a s show

@a aa fps SHOW START

@a ab fps HIDE STOP

aa

This will turn the fps line on. You can then turn the information off or on by typing ab or aa in the console command window.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-24-2011, 05:48 PM
EDIT: Actually, my FPS dropped by two on the low end, and didnt change at all up top.
Still averaging about 50fps though, and it does seem smoother, but if it really is or its just wishful thinking...
Agreed.. Got the same FRAPS results here :(

ACE-OF-ACES
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I changed to these settings and saw no improvement in the Black Death track - actually lost one fps in average
Same here..

It would be interesting for eveyone to post what type of video card they have.. In that maybe low end video cards (older) are affected more than top end (newer) video cards

On that note, GTX 580 here

Dave3317
09-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Didn't notice any difference here with a gtx 560ti. The game crashed though which it hasn't done for months. Changed it straight back.

Mad G
09-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Got 5+fps in minimum fps and stutters are almost gone. Great find! By the way, I´m on ther latest official patch. The BETA looks and sounds better, but too milky and stuttering.

Gerbil Maximus
09-24-2011, 06:53 PM
you're really not used to flight sim tweaking are you? it's not tweaking code, it's changing a configuration settings file that is more complex than any gui could hope to make navigable.

the sounds make no difference to how playable a game is, but most certainly a lot of things have changed - those included. i can only speak for myself of course, but since this beta patch came out, and with this little tweak, i've been playing on and offline with a smoother game. i've got vastly improved performance since release. it's not near finished, perfect nor has it got the stability and playability of 1946 yet, but it's going in the right direction.

Ok MD maybe code wasnt the right word, and yep ive flown sims since Amstrad and Sinclair days :grin:

mazex
09-24-2011, 07:14 PM

Well read my post a few pages back. If you set an invalid combination like color 24 and stencil 16 I guess it goes to some default setting in the "catch all" part of the logic in the code (the default: section of the switch case statement initializing the D3D device). It's probably a "low" setting like 16 bit with no stencil at all - thereby giving you more performance...

EDIT: The best way to test if my statement above holds is naturally to use some out of bounds value like you did above. If you get better performance with a setting like color=0 and stencil=0 than the default 24/8 then my theory holds? I seems like you did that so then the question is what it defaults to? 16/0? In that case you should notice that you have a more narrow color spectra in the game when you see the increased performance? As I see it there is no option in the game settings to use 16-bit color instead of 32-bit so I guess you found the way? Using color=16 and stencil=0 feels better for me than using an unsupported format... But is 16/0 supported? We are only guessing ;)

pupo162
09-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Well read my post a few pages back. If you set an invalid combination like color 24 and stencil 16 I guess it goes to some default setting in the "catch all" part of the logic in the code (the default: section of the switch case statement initializing the D3D device). It's probably a "low" setting like 16 bit with no stencil at all - thereby giving you more performance...

EDIT: The best way to test if my statement above holds is naturally to use some out of bounds value like you did above. If you get better performance with a setting like color=0 and stencil=0 than the default 24/8 then my theory holds? I seems like you did that so then the question is what it defaults to? 16/0? In that case you should notice that you have a more narrow color spectra in the game when you see the increased performance? As I see it there is no option in the game settings to use 16-bit color instead of 32-bit so I guess you found the way? Using color=16 and stencil=0 feels better for me than using an unsupported format... But is 16/0 supported? We are only guessing ;)

my issue is that when i reversed back into 24/8 my good performance standed

soemthing like

24/8 - bad performance --> 32/16 - awsome --> 24/8 - still awsome.

thats what is buggering me

CherokeeFreedom
09-24-2011, 07:56 PM
I haven't applied the latest beta patch but wanted to try this conf.ini change anyway. Surprise, surprise! CloD picked up 2-3 fps in the each area of the fps counter in Black Death. Micro stutter\hesitations are much the same though........... much like IL2 46.:)

mazex
09-24-2011, 08:05 PM
my issue is that when i reversed back into 24/8 my good performance standed

soemthing like

24/8 - bad performance --> 32/16 - awsome --> 24/8 - still awsome.

thats what is buggering me

Hmm, maybe the shader cache got flushed? Wild guessing here ;)

LoBiSoMeM
09-24-2011, 09:02 PM
This graphics engine is crazy. Same results as pupo162 regards sun glare. The GRAPHICS performace now is really nice - except by clouds - they are crap in therms of performance.

All my stutters now are "CPU related": lots of bombs droped, lots of plane shooting at the same time, etc.

We are evolving. In a strange way, but let's see whats happens in future! ;)

Mr Greezy
09-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Smoothed things out for me. GOOD FIND.

buzzard
09-25-2011, 12:17 AM
Does anyone with graphics or programming expertise know what might be happening here? Or is the jury still out on whether or not this works?

If it is working, hope the devs read the forums-

mazex
09-25-2011, 12:32 AM
A side note... As I understand it, what happens if you have to little precision in you depth/z buffer, especially when rendering scenes with a lot of objects spread out over a large depth like in CoD? You get flickering. Especially in shadows as you don't have precision enough to tell which pixel should be shown (ie the shadow or the grass below it) - so every other frame you get alterations of who is the winner, the grass, the shadow? Recognize that from somewhere ;)

Anyway - being an old programmer working with server side software and not games I have just made a few attempts at doing directx games for fun in the Direct X 7-9 days. The new stuff in Dx10-11 is way to new for me, and besides I never really got the hang of all the 3D buffers and how to use them best etc... It worked rather good anyway with "standard" settings when you didn't have to render millions of objects ;)

EDIT: But to my knowledge, a depth buffer is always 32-bit, where you normally use 24 bits for depth and 8 for stencil, even though you can use all 32-bits for depth (would be nice for CoD:s shadows?). But the you loose the stencil buffer... And having 32-bit depth and 16 bit stencil should not be possible, but maybe in Dx10-11? And do you need 16-bit stencil? And different graphics hardware have different support for this so that could cause the differing results. Anyway - a larger depth buffer should improve the quality - but not performance?

Feathered_IV
09-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Does anyone with graphics or programming expertise know what might be happening here? Or is the jury still out on whether or not this works?

If it is working, hope the devs read the forums-

Judging from the hardware and reported results, its the low end machines that are seeing the most benefit. Those who are already pulling down 50fps or thereabouts are seeing proportionally less gain.

Buchon
09-25-2011, 04:16 AM
As Maxed said, setting the Depth buffer to 32 you are killing the Stencil buffer, because a 28 bit depth buffer is necessary to use 8 bit Stencil buffer, and there no 16 bit Stencil buffer.

Switching off the Stencil buffer can boost overloaded systems, just set DepthBits=32 and StencilBits=0 and try, but it has consequences because the usage of this buffer is off.

How is IL2COD using the Stencil buffer is what is unknown, it is used usually to add quality in shadows and reflections maps, may be poss processed effects too, so you are switching off some quality of the picture.

jimbop
09-25-2011, 07:31 AM
steam ghsot update was a 22 mb update that fell off the sky a few weeks ago.

I thought this was just a download of the ubi splash video for those that had deleted it?

Vengeanze
09-25-2011, 09:41 AM
Changed my settings in .../documents without any difference in qual or perf.

But glad that LoBiSoMeM saw yet another raise in quality and performance. ;-)

pupo162
09-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I thought this was just a download of the ubi splash video for those that had deleted it?

nope. the splash has something like 3 or 4 mb. also people wit hsplash did recieve the "patch" of 22, and people who had deleted stuff got 30 mb.

Also, some people reported gains in performance.

Majo
09-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Went back to the original settings of 24 & 8... and cleaned the cache.

The FPS improvement in the average value of the "Death Track" still there.

Why everything has to be this way with this game/simulator...;-)

Salutes

LoBiSoMeM
09-25-2011, 03:29 PM
Changed my settings in .../documents without any difference in qual or perf.

But glad that LoBiSoMeM saw yet another raise in quality and performance. ;-)

No, I just had the sun glare working like it suposed to be after editing conf.ini, any number in the two settings listed in this thread.

My setting in conf.ini, as I said, was "strange", with lots of spaces after "=" and stuff.

Just that. But for me, it's a HUGE improvement. because before change conf.ini if the sun apears even in the corner of the screen all monitor became white... This bug goes away.

With Steam update I have massive decrease in stuttering. I don't know what happens, if some "default" setting are restored, some corruption is solved, just had much better performance.

But one thing I noticed here is that we leave with a sim with lots of bugs and optimization problems, with constant patches, lots of configuration options, etc, and somne folks like to make fun with people who report gains/losts regards performance after a LOT of changes.

Strange...

ACE-OF-ACES
09-25-2011, 03:48 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/handle_with_care_hsp_postage_stamps-p172777751818077605anryb_325.jpg