PDA

View Full Version : Messed up collisions

Winger
09-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Is it MEANT to be like thateverytime 2 planes crash together the allied plane keeps flying like unharmed and the german one just pops to thousand pieces.
I dont get it. In ROF it is the same thing.

Winger

pupo162
09-23-2011, 01:56 PM
ROF has 0 to do with htis. go ahead and report it on the proper section. the bug post

Winger
09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
ROF has 0 to do with htis. go ahead and report it on the proper section. the bug post

Yes ther is something both developer studios share:P But hey this must no be necessary the reason. But still this fact SUCKS!
Something is bugged and gives disadvantage to one side. Why must it ALWAYS be the same side that suffers in flightsims?

Winger

Continu0
09-23-2011, 02:12 PM
i experienced it the other way round: the german plane keeps flying while the allied one ends up in a fire-ball. Minor thing, but yes it sucks....

Ze-Jamz
09-23-2011, 02:14 PM
Is it MEANT to be like thateverytime 2 planes crash together the allied plane keeps flying like unharmed and the german one just pops to thousand pieces.

Winger

lol your brave starting this thread fella..il give you that

Winger
09-23-2011, 02:17 PM
lol your brave starting this thread fella..il give you that

Why? Have there already been 1000 of them?:)

Winger

EDIT: Also there are currently on UFO servers online. So no fun playing there. Ill go watch some TV and hope the patch is here when i come back. LATER!:)

mazex
09-23-2011, 02:23 PM

Winger

Well, collision and response was the reason I got tired of writing my own flight sim, that's when you realize how much work it really is ;)

Mazex

Gollum
09-23-2011, 02:54 PM
i experienced it the other way round: the german plane keeps flying while the allied one ends up in a fire-ball. Minor thing, but yes it sucks....

I too have had both happen. Took a few spits out with my knife blade 109 wings of steel. Must be the way they crash that determines which plane structure fails. Needs fixing though

trumps
09-23-2011, 03:40 PM
if i collide with someone no matter who was at fault i expect to go in, doesn't really matter as far as i see it!

Craig

Winger
09-23-2011, 03:59 PM
if i collide with someone no matter who was at fault i expect to go in, doesn't really matter as far as i see it!

Craig

I expect that too. But both should go down. No just one. Its about realism thou.

Winger

bw_wolverine
09-23-2011, 04:12 PM
This was reported a while back. I did my own testing and from my results, I didn't get the impression that the effect was as simple as RAF planes are indestructable in collisions and Luftwaffe planes are made from balsa.

It seemed to me like the collision calculation was taking into effect relative speed during collisions and delivering more damage to planes with higher speed and or energy. It's admirable that they're trying to simulate a different level of damage based on point of collision, speed, etc. Not to mention you have to have collision detection on a massive scale with a damage model this complex. Delivering more damage to the faster plane may even be an attempt at discouraging this kind of behaviour (in which case, stop trying to ram our planes! :P). I may also be entirely off base and wrong about the whole thing.

RAF Hurricanes and Spitfires tend to be travelling slower than their Luftwaffe counterparts in these collisions mostly, I've found, and therefore might seem to be taking less damage overall if my above diagnosis is correct.

buddye
09-23-2011, 06:55 PM
Collisions are a very complex issue. First you must find the point of contact for two complex shaped a/C. Second, you must find the force to apply to each A/C part or maybe if it is extream force to blow up. Third, you must apply the damage based on the force to each A/C.

Here is a thread on the BOBII forum where a tester ran a test with a fighter ramming the tail of a bomber (historic mission) and his results:

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=26497

BOBII got it wrong badly and COD almost got it correct (with some minor problems). COD damage model is very good but may need some polish for the minor issues.

Also collisions take time to test so maybe some other players can test and report on the ramming mission here..........

Bokononist
09-23-2011, 07:05 PM
I have found when I have collided with planes both have suffered enough damage to go down, this is on the atag server though, Maybe offline or server settings have something to do with it. Check your realism settings maybe? I'm not saying anyone is wrong BTW, just relating my experience and making a suggestion.

SQB
09-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Guys, don't compare these collisions to the ROF ones, they are very different:

ROF: The netcode means that one plane thinks it has been "hit" and the other plane things it "missed" meaning one plane goes down and the other stays up. This can be seen by playing in SP and noting collisions are fine or by spectating and recording from both plane's perspectives. If the two planes BOTH perceive a hit, they will both go down. THis is rare because you don't aim to collide, most collisions are just unlucky.

CLoD: The actual physics is to blame, just check out singleplayer, the problem is in physics not netcode.

Jaws2002
09-24-2011, 05:27 PM

Winger

I find this, coming from you, hilarious. You are not the only one here playing both games, you know.;)
Is pretty well known in ROF, your favorite plane, Fokker Dr1, can succesfully ram two planes before it has to rtb, with some damage.

Please spare us of this allied vs axis bias bull$hit. It's so bloody boring.
How about you spend some time in some allied planes for a change and see how the grass is from the other side of the fence? Just bitching with your blue collored galsses on won't get you anywhere.

I've seen plenty Hurricanes and Spits that bumped into my already damaged 110 go down and my 110 kept flying on. You may fool some people that only fly one side, but most of us know you are full of it.
No game is perfect, all have isues, but coming here pretending they are all biased against German planes just makes you look silly.
We play the same games, you know.

This is one of the most anoying aspects of the flight siming community. Some people still fight that 70 or 100 years old wars.:rolleyes: