PDA

View Full Version : Steam Update?

Adlerhorst
09-17-2011, 05:11 PM
:(I understand Steam automatically updates COD -- does this mean I do nothing and it happens or do I have to grant permissions in advance to enable Steam to do its thing? Maybe its just me, but Steam seems a really murky website and totally counter intuitive.

Chivas
09-17-2011, 05:35 PM
When the beta test is finished the update will be sent to Steam for automatic download by default, unless you have changed Steam settings.

r0bc
09-17-2011, 06:56 PM
but Steam seems a really murky website and totally counter intuitive.

Please explain.
If a game is not on Steam chances are I won't buy it.
You can install/uninstall with one click, auto updates, you can access account from any computer, download as many times as you like...I can go on.

Adlerhorst
09-17-2011, 07:15 PM
(I hope I haven't drilled into one of those Steam vs. Anti Steam cliques.For the record, I have no ax to grind, have never used Steam before and could care less if it works as intended.I am more upset with the economy.)
However, by murky I am referring to the GUI -- it is obscure and dark to me and the mapping is confusing. There lack of clear user interface to do most anything except buy games -- their principal purpose I guess.
For example, the previous post says, "its automatic unless you changed your settings..." What settings? and where are they? I find nothing about automatic updating in properties, or through Search. I see nothing in my account other than I own the game. Of course I'm old. So can someone help a veteran?

Madfish
09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
I agree, it's one of the worst interfaces in many regards. Especially the "new" steam.

To answer your question: you don't have to do anything for automatic updates. You can disable them manually though. For that:
- go to your library
- right click on "IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover"
- select "properties"
- in the pop up window browse to the "updates" tab
- change the settings to your preference

r0bc
09-17-2011, 08:01 PM
By default its set to auto updates and if you want to uninstall game ,right click game and delete.
The rest of the settings are in the top left corner, whatever you need just ask.
The only setting I change is Steam/Setting/Interface and I uncheck Run Steam when Windows Start...that bugs me,wish programs didn't do that.