PDA

View Full Version : Do You Play With Damage Notices?

bw_wolverine
09-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Title of the thread says it all.

Do you like having the damage notices on to tell you that you've damaged your 194th bolt on the port side wing? Or do you prefer to turn such messages off, considering them a form of unknowable knowledge?

Also, what's your reasoning behind your decision?

-

I turn them off. I found it neat when I first started playing to see all the little bits and pieces that can sustain damage, but once I was settled in I turned it off. There's no way I should know that my radiator is perforated unless I can use my eyes and guages to identify the problem. I find it more exciting that way and I feel will make me a better pilot as I learn to really listen to what my aircraft is telling me with its various ways of talking.

pupo162
09-15-2011, 08:21 PM
off. ive never felt the need for them yet.

fireship4
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Off and it should be a difficulty setting.

ATAG_Doc
09-15-2011, 09:37 PM
I notice if I damage them because I am so close I almost collide. Waste not want not :)

trumps
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Off for me, If I can't see it out of my cockpit, or on the gauges, hear it, or notice it through the controls I don't want to know about it. ;)
Last thing I want is more crap and clutter popping up on the screen!

Craig

JG52Krupi
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I agree that the HUD should be a server setting.

IvanK
09-15-2011, 10:37 PM
Agree

|450|Devil
09-15-2011, 11:03 PM
When I fly the Blenheim I have damage on as it seems that I only have to look at a gauge or control in the wrong way for one or the other or sometimes both engines to suffer internal damage. Based in the information in the 1939 RAF Pilot Notes for the Blenheim IV I would say the engine modelling in COD is too sensitive to damage through overheating or over revving. For all other aircraft I leave the damage window off.

Feathered_IV
09-16-2011, 01:46 AM
Off is best for me. I got rid of the Enemy Destroyed stuff too. Sometimes not knowing is more immersive.

FFCW_Urizen
09-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Off for me, If I can't see it out of my cockpit, or on the gauges, hear it, or notice it through the controls I don't want to know about it. ;)
Last thing I want is more crap and clutter popping up on the screen!

Craig

off for the same reason

JG52Krupi
09-16-2011, 07:18 AM
With the engine gauges (fuel and oil pressure) not working correctly, and previously no sounds when you were hit, I do have mine turned on. Might turn them off later, but I've gotten used to having the block there.

What do you mean by block mate? If you mean a grey box around the window you can make it transparent.

Sternjaeger II
09-16-2011, 08:44 AM
it's definitely interesting for the sake of testing (checking how it triggers gauges reactions and plane behaviour), and to understand the extent and complexity of DM, but yes, it can be unnecessary. Considering that I play the game sporadically now (actually haven't started it since I got back from hols), I still keep them on, if anything they're a reminder to how much work they put into it!

It'd be neat to have a feature at the end of the mission where you have a damage report that runs together with a track of the mission, so that there's a camera that gets triggered everytime an area is damaged. It would add a lot to the de-briefing experience and help us understand more about what/how/when/where went wrong.

David198502
09-16-2011, 08:53 AM
i turned them off, for the same reason like bw wolverine!
but im still not sure if all the engine gauges work properly....
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26190

ATAG_Dutch
09-16-2011, 10:52 AM
I turn all info off unless online, when I set up a chatbox in and out plus server info.

I don't see any point in flying full real with CEM and have a computer tell you what's wrong.

They didn't have the luxury in 1940, so I don't want it either.;)

xnomad
09-16-2011, 12:02 PM
In real life you had wing men to tell you that you were losing coolant or fuel. In MP most people don't tell you squat so until you have a decent squad you are going to need those damage messages.

In QMB I like to turn all messages off for a nicer looking screen.

jojovtx
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
With the engine gauges (fuel and oil pressure) not working correctly, and previously no sounds when you were hit, I do have mine turned on. Might turn them off later, but I've gotten used to having the block there.

Once this game is working properly I will have a clean screen. Until then I will use my little digital HUD to give me all the info that the game in it's current state can not give me.