PDA

View Full Version : new beta patch Nvidia drivers 285.27 ...

15.Span_Valalo
09-14-2011, 12:09 PM
http://www.nvidia.es/object/win7-winvista-64bit-285.27-beta-driver-es.html

this new beta patch V: 285.27 , can we set SLI now to ClOD????

ATAG_Snapper
09-14-2011, 12:56 PM
EDIT: Disregard my tale of woe below. I tried to install wrong driver version. More details further in this thread. :)

I don't think so -- no mention of CoD in the update notes for SLI.

I downloaded this new beta driver, uninstalled my current 280.26 driver, rebooted, and tried to install the beta. No joy. :( Instead I got error messages that

1) I had the incorrect Operating System (?????), and
2) my graphics card was an unrecognized brand (?????)

Worse yet, I got the Blue Screen of Death when I tried to reinstall the 280.26 driver again. Ugh! I did a Win Recovery which worked perfectly, but only after an automatic -- and lengthy -- "disk repair" took place first.

That was a couple of hours last night biting my nails that I choose not to repeat!!! Am sticking with the current driver for the time being.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-14-2011, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the tip off Snapper,sorry to hear you've had problems.

ATAG_Snapper
09-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the tip off Snapper,sorry to hear you've had problems.

Hey, no prob; thanks! I got it it back to where it was through Windows Recovery. That Bill Gates is a great guy! LOL

Also, my experience needn't be universal -- everyone's system is set up a little differently (or a LOT differently) and likely someone else will have no difficulty whatsoever.

Like most here, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers a gazillion times before without a hitch. Before I uninstall a current driver I try to remember to set up a Recovery Point first. Then I reboot and hit F8 during the reboot in order to select "Safe Mode". I believe this switches the video driver from the Nvidia one I'm about to uninstall with the generic Windows 7 video driver. Once I've done a Safe Reboot, I go to Control Panel, Hardware Uninstall, select Nvidia graphic driver and double click. I also uninstall all the associated Nvidia files clustered around it. Upon doing a further reboot, I then navigate to the freshly downloaded new beta driver .exe file and double click on it. What normally follows is a new installation - it takes a little while but usually is a smooth process. Guess last night was not my night! :(

Bpdslayer
09-14-2011, 05:26 PM
Performance for me is way improved over 280 drivers, stutters over london sightseeing are gone, but SLI is still not working. Cant get a fraps readout on framerates in CLOD but overall much smoother feeling. BTW how to get fraps working again?

Performance for battlefield bad company 2 has increased by a good 10-20 fps, super smooth! Now i get a constant 60 fps with highest graphics setting possible at 2560x1600.

RickRuski
09-14-2011, 08:14 PM
I tried the 285.27 Beta drivers last night, uninstalled all previous drivers and a fresh instal. The new drivers seemed worse for me, made micro stutters more noticeable running Sli. So what did I do??, the obvious went back to the 280.26. Will wait for official release to see what happens.

r0bc
09-14-2011, 09:25 PM
Performance for me is way improved

In the games I've tried 285.27 is better for me to.

Stefem
09-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I don't think so -- no mention of CoD in the update notes for SLI.

I downloaded this new beta driver, uninstalled my current 280.26 driver, rebooted, and tried to install the beta. No joy. :( Instead I got error messages that

1) I had the incorrect Operating System (?????), and
2) my graphics card was an unrecognized brand (?????)

Worse yet, I got the Blue Screen of Death when I tried to reinstall the 280.26 driver again. Ugh! I did a Win Recovery which worked perfectly, but only after an automatic -- and lengthy -- "disk repair" took place first.

That was a couple of hours last night biting my nails that I choose not to repeat!!! Am sticking with the current driver for the time being.

1st)Not all the changes and new profiles are mentioned in the release note, we must manually check the SLI profiles list or run CoD and see what changes and...

2nd)You're no longer required to remove the old driver before installing the new one, just do a clean installation marking the apposite checkbox and the new NVIDIA installer will do the rest (probably avoiding problems like yours)

ATAG_Snapper
09-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Thanks, Steffam, looks like I could've saved myself a lot of grief last night! LOL I'll probably wait 'til 285.27 goes WQHL before I update - by then we'll know more about it, no doubt.

sorak
09-15-2011, 03:16 AM
I did a Win Recovery which worked perfectly, but only after an automatic -- and lengthy -- "disk repair" took place first.

hahaa.. good times

sorak
09-15-2011, 03:19 AM
Hey, no prob; thanks! I got it it back to where it was through Windows Recovery. That Bill Gates is a great guy! LOL

Also, my experience needn't be universal -- everyone's system is set up a little differently (or a LOT differently) and likely someone else will have no difficulty whatsoever.

Like most here, I've uninstalled and reinstalled Nvidia drivers a gazillion times before without a hitch. Before I uninstall a current driver I try to remember to set up a Recovery Point first. Then I reboot and hit F8 during the reboot in order to select "Safe Mode". I believe this switches the video driver from the Nvidia one I'm about to uninstall with the generic Windows 7 video driver. Once I've done a Safe Reboot, I go to Control Panel, Hardware Uninstall, select Nvidia graphic driver and double click. I also uninstall all the associated Nvidia files clustered around it. Upon doing a further reboot, I then navigate to the freshly downloaded new beta driver .exe file and double click on it. What normally follows is a new installation - it takes a little while but usually is a smooth process. Guess last night was not my night! :(

I know why windows will just reinstall the driver back after you reboot in normal mode.. What happens is this... In the past if you ever installed newer drivers without uninstalling your driver before windows saves that old driver still and when you uninstall your current driver after reboot windows will auto load that last driver.. If you keep uninstalling though it will go threw all the previous versions you never uninstalled before and edventually you can uninstall them all.

senseispcc
09-15-2011, 04:23 AM
Installed the beta drivers without any problems and they work like charm. thanks.:grin:

tk471138
09-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Thanks, Steffam, looks like I could've saved myself a lot of grief last night! LOL I'll probably wait 'til 285.27 goes WQHL before I update - by then we'll know more about it, no doubt.

scary story....maybe look in to getting one of those driver cleaner programs, i have one it seems to do the job, just search for one im sure their are many, and i dont know if we are allowed to advertise other programs on here but you are better off doing the research on your own anyways

shoot_the_goose
09-15-2011, 07:38 AM
Nice fps gain in CoD for me with a gtx560ti and seems smoother.But makes firefox crash every now and then and I get a pop that says the driver failed when firefox crashes.But in CoD nice improvement, and also better score in 3dmark 11.:)

shoot_the_goose
09-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Cancel that...it's exactly the same, may have just been the mission I chose that seemed to show an improvment.Slightly better 3dmark11 score but nothing stunning.Doesn't seem to be a magic tweak with this game besides turning everything down and making it look like cfs1.

RickRuski
09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Have now re-installed 285.27 beta, found that with the new driver instal a couple of settings had changed which I hadn't picked up on. Now have AA "forced on", and think I have improvement with "micro pause" situation once cards are up to running temps.

He111
09-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I'm still using drivers 270.61 without much problems, only real prob so far is when i right click and hold my mouse then drag to zoom in and out only to have my driver crash. i realise 270.81 might be a bit on dinosaur but it's a good stable base to start playing COD.

When I get more serious CODding i will probably need to upgrade my driver, anyone suggest a good stable one for GTX580s.

Thanks

He111.

ATAG_Snapper
09-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I know why windows will just reinstall the driver back after you reboot in normal mode.. What happens is this... In the past if you ever installed newer drivers without uninstalling your driver before windows saves that old driver still and when you uninstall your current driver after reboot windows will auto load that last driver.. If you keep uninstalling though it will go threw all the previous versions you never uninstalled before and edventually you can uninstall them all.

OK......I get the Idiot of the Year Award. In a nutshell, I tried to install the Win 7 32-bit driver into my Win 7 64-bit OS. Last night I decided to delete my beta 285.27 download figuring it was corrupt. It was simply the wrong version that I had selected to download from pure carelessness. The CORRECT version installed beautifully over the 280.26 (no uninstall necessary -- thanks!) and is working well.