PDA

View Full Version : Lack of GEM editor in Men of Ward Vietnam.

Speed3192
09-13-2011, 04:45 PM
One of my favourite things in the men of war series has been the editor. The ability to instantly and easily go in to an editor that comes freely with the game and start having fun.
From the moment MOW: Vietnam was announced I instantly started thinking of different things to do with in the editor.
But then i finally get the game and to my horror there is no editor. I sincerely hope that an update will be released adding an editor to this game. as that is what gives the men of war games so many hours of playability.
I really hope 1c wakes up, and adds an editor into this game, so i can continue to have as much fun with this game as i have with the other men of war games.

Fred DM
09-13-2011, 05:05 PM
while i agree that this game should really have an editor, it's not really surprising that it shipped without one since Red Tide, the developer's previous MoW project, didn't have an editor, either.

Razw
09-13-2011, 05:18 PM
Couldn't agree more. It's not the same game whitout the editor :(

TakAhLah
09-13-2011, 05:20 PM
I totally agree...the only thing I was looking forward to about this game was the editor and making my own battles in it. I have already finished all the missions in MOW V and I'll be back playing MOW AS in the editor and online as of now.

I'll give them a few weeks to see if C1 adds the editor in an update and then if not, I'll delete it just as I did with MOW RT.

Just to note, MOW and MOW AS were both developed by Digitalmindsoft and C1 and have been 5 star games which have stolen many hours of my life ;)

MOW RT and MOW V were only developed by C1 and have been rather poor compared to the other two...check who developes the next MOW game before you buy it as it seems to be very important as to if its going to be really cool or not.

Kastrenzo
09-15-2011, 05:51 AM
It's funny considering 1C Is the publishing company for most if not all of the Men of War games. and the games they make themselves in the series turn out to be garbage compared to their Child Companies like Best Way and DMS.

Russian Activision anyone?
Oh Wait. That's not entirley true, because infinity Ward is shit too

Kastrenzo
09-15-2011, 05:57 AM
I totally agree...the only thing I was looking forward to about this game was the editor and making my own battles in it. I have already finished all the missions in MOW V and I'll be back playing MOW AS in the editor and online as of now.

I'll give them a few weeks to see if C1 adds the editor in an update and then if not, I'll delete it just as I did with MOW RT.

Just to note, MOW and MOW AS were both developed by Digitalmindsoft and C1 and have been 5 star games which have stolen many hours of my life ;)

MOW RT and MOW V were only developed by C1 and have been rather poor compared to the other two...check who developes the next MOW game before you buy it as it seems to be very important as to if its going to be really cool or not.

Men of War was developed by Best Way, a Ukrainian Company, DMS Assisted but Best Way was the Lead

Assault Squad was developed by Digitalmindsoft, a German company.

Several other companies like Aspyr from the US and 505 Games, a British/Italian company assisted in both games with various things. but it all depends on which region copy you own.

I own two copies of the original Men of War, one on steam and an old disc version I dont use anymore, my Steam copy makes absolutley no mention to Aspyr or 505, while the retail one has like 5 company logos on it, 1C, Bestway, DMS, Aspyr, and 505 Games

Interesting considering 505 is a British/Italian publisher. but it wouldnt be the first time Canada had NSTC compatible games imported from Europe, since by law we are bilingual, a lot of our french versions of video games are imported from France, regardless of where they were originally developed

TakAhLah
09-15-2011, 12:49 PM
Men of War was developed by Best Way, a Ukrainian Company, DMS Assisted but Best Way was the Lead

Assault Squad was developed by Digitalmindsoft, a German company.

Well I wasn't entirely wrong ;) DMS was in on both of the good MOW games...Anyway the important thing is the point I was making... that the C1 only releases have been rather substandard.

James6584
09-15-2011, 12:53 PM
Surely if they see that 99% of the fans are calling out for an editor it would only make sense for them to give it to us?

Nike-it
09-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Editor to Vietnam can't be released due to the license agreement. The same situation was with Red Tide.

Razw
09-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Editor to Vietnam can't be released due to the license agreement. The same situation was with Red Tide.

Well that sounds bad. I guess. Can't you like make a video or something how to the Vietnam stuff in the Mow Editor or something? :confused:
100% desperate.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 01:11 PM
Wait, wait, wait. 1C doesn't have the license agreement to the Editor?
The developer of Men Of war doesn't have the license agreement to the Editor of the engine that all the men of war games are built upon?

Nike-it
09-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Wait, wait, wait. 1C doesn't have the license agreement to the Editor?
The developer of Men Of war doesn't have the license agreement to the Editor of the engine that all the men of war games are built upon?

The license to release it, that's a big difference.

Razw
09-15-2011, 01:19 PM

I might be all out and jabbing about random stuff, but if it's you're product, and you got the license for it, can't you just make a new license or something, since it's your stuff? :S

Nike-it
09-15-2011, 01:21 PM
I might be all out and jabbing about random stuff, but if it's you're product, and you got the license for it, can't you just make a new license or something, since it's your stuff? :S

GEM Engine is the product of Best Way, not 1C.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 01:22 PM

can you not get the license to it so you can addd an editor to vietnam?

Seriously add an editor to this game and its popularity will sky rocket. and there wont be so many people complaining about it. as we will freely be able to change all the bad stuff about it within the editor.

Razw
09-15-2011, 01:22 PM

Well can't Best Way do something about this then?

Fred DM
09-15-2011, 01:27 PM
ca
Seriously add an editor to this game and its popularity will sky rocket.

this seems like an important point. an added editor would be sure to cause a few more copies sold. there are PC gamers that buy games solely for the editor. and others are more likely to buy a game if an editor is available as that means the game will be kept alive with new content longer.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
this seems like an important point. an added editor would be sure to cause a few more copies sold. there are PC gamers that buy games solely for the editor. and others are more likely to buy a game if an editor is available as that means the game will be kept alive with new content longer.
That's exactly my point. Even if 1C have to purchase the rights for the editor, they are bound to still make a big profit, as lets not forget this is one of the first ever Vietnam RTS games. possibly the only one to be honest. and its made with one of the greatest engines ever designed. allowing access to an editor for this game will make it Extremely popular. we may even see some classic Vietnam film moments recreated within this editor.

James6584
09-15-2011, 01:40 PM
Unfortunately I doubt it's as easy as them asking for the license. I expect it would be very difficult. Licensing is often pretty complicated.

Nike-it
09-15-2011, 01:43 PM
If the situation was that easy, I'm sure the editor will be already available. Unfortunately there is a very small chance that the editor will be released.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 01:49 PM
If the situation was that easy, I'm sure the editor will be already available. Unfortunately there is a very small chance that the editor will be released.

Why is it so difficult to get the rights to the editor?

Nike-it
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Why is it so difficult to get the rights to the editor?

Because such legal agreement requires certain amount of time, money and other resources like stuff.

Razw
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Owell, back to MoW:As I guess :(

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Could you not come to a profitable agreement with best way to gain rights to the editor?
For example if they give you the rights to release the editor with vietnam and all your future men of war products best way get 10% -20% of all profits made by MOW:Vietnam and then a further 5% - 15% profit made by all future products using the GEM Engine. I'm not saying that's what you should do, I'm just using that as an example.

TakAhLah
09-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Obviously Best Way don't have a problem about the editor being released as they release it with their own versions...Its not like they are keeping it to themselves and don't want players to get their hands on it. I am sure if C1 wanted to, they could reach an agreement with the licence holders and it would be a win win situation for all.

Speed3192
09-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Are 1C actually even trying to get an agreement with best way so that they can release the editor with Vietnam?

Aardman55
09-16-2011, 01:54 PM
One of my favourite things in the men of war series has been the editor. The ability to instantly and easily go in to an editor that comes freely with the game and start having fun.
From the moment MOW: Vietnam was announced I instantly started thinking of different things to do with in the editor.
But then i finally get the game and to my horror there is no editor. I sincerely hope that an update will be released adding an editor to this game. as that is what gives the men of war games so many hours of playability.
I really hope 1c wakes up, and adds an editor into this game, so i can continue to have as much fun with this game as i have with the other men of war games.
I agree.
In example, the only reason i buyed MoW was because of the Editor.
I buyed MoW Vietnam cause i thought about recreating movie and game things like:
The epic battle scene in "We Were Soldiers" where the USA get out of the trench and charge the nva base while slaughtering the nva, when they get up the hill and the heli appears killing every vietnamese in the area.

The scene of "Platoon", where they get into the village and burn down everything.

The scene in "Hamburger Hill", where the US get bombed but at last make it capturing the hill.

The scene in "Forrest Gump", where the US take a walk in the jungle but then get ambushed by a mg and where forrest takes all the wounded and runs into safety while holding everyone.

The scene in "Full Metal Jacket", where the US get ambushed by a sniper in hue, and have to fight to survive.

The scene in "Apocalypse Now", where the US helicopters all fly to a village and bomb it all down while "Ride of the Valkyries" plays in the BG.

The level "SOG" in Call of Duty Black ops where a big battle in khe sanh breaks out and you have to kill and burn every nva soldier.

The level in "Shellshock: Nam '67" where you get cut down by VC and then seperated in the jungle at night, you have to kill all VCs with only a knife and your rifle.

But also not to forget the most classic of all, your own battle.
You place 1 trench, put in like 100 us soldiers.
You place in front of the trench 1000 nva and vc soldiers, and a hill.
The us get out of the trench, get their mortars riflemen etc and then start fighting.
They manage capturing the hill, but lost 67% of their men.

or any other things you imagine.

Thats what i say.

Gypsy39
09-17-2011, 04:37 AM
I didn't know it lacked an editor. I'm disappointed for sure. The modding community is a huge part of what makes this series great.

djsatane
09-17-2011, 06:16 AM
1C really gonna use excuse along the lines that legal agreement is hard to achieve? LOL Maybe they missed a memo where majority of the men of war community lives around the editor, and editor created missions and mods, go look it up on moddb, there is ton of created content that keeps these game series alive. Releasing MoW Vietnam without editor is lazy move. GEM editor added to vietnam would really solve this terrible situation, the mods can still be loaded in vietnam so thats not an issue, issue is the editor wasnt included. At least 1C should release official statement on the issue.

SpeedWolf
09-17-2011, 07:46 AM
The scene of "Platoon", where they get into the village and burn down everything.

you mean something a bit like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-J8PLEA6A

You can still use the old editor but you would have to fix some game file like the localization.pak because is lock and you need to make a new one like a mod, only a experience modder should do this as to many mistake can happen if not done correctly.

and no I'm not one of that modder that can help as this is to hard to explain and just thinking about it give me a headache.:confused:

kis12134
09-19-2011, 01:50 PM
Well i'm gonna stay in MOW:AS until World In War Vietnam mod isnt released so i can make battles ^^
I really don't care it hasnt choppers.
I find the choppers in this game weird.
They got NO absolute sound so the 1st mission was a pain in the *** because i had to be constantly looking at the mini-map looking for the goddamn chopper.
Then i shot it down and after 5 seconds there was still the explosion in the air and the chopper was already down???????

Kastrenzo
09-22-2011, 01:31 AM

I don't understand that Logic, DMS is not Bestway, and Assault Squad had an editor.

Perhaps next time 1C should not charge near full price for a fraction of a game. Because all I'm really getting in MOWV that's new is a handful of models and sounds, I mean come on, The developers didn't even take the time to delete the German WW II Helmets from the resource folder that they just copypasted from Men of war.

****ing Lazy. Im pretty sure I'm never buying anything developed by 1C again, I'll go to their Ukrainian and German buddies at Bestway and DMS.

kis12134
09-24-2011, 10:02 AM
On DMS forum it was posted the following:

Just so everyone is aware, 1C couldn't release Men of War: Vietnam with an editor for legal reasons:

As seen on:
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26161 9th response on thread

So lets not give them TO hard of a time about it, mkay? lol...
Your info is wrong. I e-mailed Best Way and asked them to license the GEM editor for Vietnam, and this is the response I got:

Hello!
Unfortunately, It is decided by publisher whether to include the editor to game or not, not by the developer.
However, the editor may be available in further patches or DLC.

--
Regards,
Julia Romanova, Best way

So this makes it appear that it was 1C's decision not to include the editor. Lets not make assumptions and tell people not to ask for an editor until we have all the facts....mkay? lol

Meaning that it was 1C's dicision not to include the editor instead of Best Way's?