PDA

View Full Version : What have you done to my game?

warbirds
09-11-2011, 12:59 AM
I had it working great, no stutters, smooth play, great graphics. But now after this so called beta patch it runs like xxxx. Sutters, stops and looks bad.

I did have everything maxed but now I have everything meduim or low with no grass just to smooth it out a bit, and it still halts and stutters.

I was afraid of this happening, just to placate the texture whinners you guys changed something that robs me of performance.

System:
I7 to 3.35
GTX 580
and the usual other tweaks and fine tuning.

Phazon
09-11-2011, 01:22 AM
They haven't had time to optimise the changes they made to the graphics engine yet. It'll run better when the official patch comes out.

warbirds
09-11-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks, I really hope your correct.

speculum jockey
09-11-2011, 01:39 AM
Thanks, I really hope your correct.

Did you clear your cache and defrag your game dir?

Troll2k
09-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Using the Steam "verify local files" option should set you back to the last official patch.

NedLynch
09-11-2011, 03:18 AM
What jockey said.

Go to the 1CSoftClub folder in your documents folder, find the cache folder inside and delete everything exept the shaders subfolder, but again everything inside the subfolder. Run the game, the first time you will experience longer load times and some slight stuttering in flight as the game rebuilds the cache folder, second run should be fine.

In addition go to the game in your steam library and right click on the game, go to properties, local files and defrag the cache files.

warbirds
09-11-2011, 02:58 PM
Yes guys I did all that when I downloaded the patch so that is not the cause. I might revert to the pre patch version but the main thing is why does it change performance for me?

albx
09-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Yes guys I did all that when I downloaded the patch so that is not the cause. I might revert to the pre patch version but the main thing is why does it change performance for me?

it's not only you, mine also is very bad, after some minutes online I only get 1 FPS. If you look at the launcher.exe in the task manager, mine jump from 500 mb to over 1 gb then drop again at 500mb only if I just connect to a server and open a map, there is something wrong with the patch.

kalimba
09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
it's not only you, mine also is very bad, after some minutes online I only get 1 FPS. If you look at the launcher.exe in the task manager, mine jump from 500 mb to over 1 gb then drop again at 500mb only if I just connect to a server and open a map, there is something wrong with the patch.

Yep...BETA patch...Final official not yet released...Now, you know why !;)

SAlute !

Vengeanze
09-11-2011, 03:20 PM
Delete/rename the UBI logo wmv if you haven't done that.

Also, I noticed a higher usage of vram with this beta. Like the problem we had a couple of patches back when the game ate all the vram till the game slowed to a halt.

albx
09-11-2011, 03:35 PM
Yep...BETA patch...Final official not yet released...Now, you know why !;)

SAlute !

Yes, I know what exactly mean BETA, and we are using it to report every problem, I'm not crying, I'm just reporting it.

warbirds
09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Same here, just stating problems. I am happy that they are still working on this game and know they will sort it all out in the end.

Zappatime
09-11-2011, 04:02 PM
Warbirds, have you tried clearing your cache and then re-applying the patch, there's no way with your spec that you should now have those problems, so something else must have gone wrong when applying the patch first time round.

Which driver are you using? I'm on 280.36.

albx
09-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Warbirds, have you tried clearing your cache and then re-applying the patch, there's no way with your spec that you should now have those problems, so something else must have gone wrong when applying the patch first time round.

Which driver are you using? I'm on 280.36.

Zappatime, have you tried the game online on a server or just offline? I also cleaned the cache so many times that my HD is scratched now... nothing changes.

warbirds
09-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Just cleared cash, installed patch again and same. same story, some have problems, some don't.

kalimba
09-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Yes, I know what exactly mean BETA, and we are using it to report every problem, I'm not crying, I'm just reporting it.

Sorry mate...Didn't intend to offend you..On the contrary, I think you guys are doing a great job at reporting issues...it is the thread title that is misleading...;)

Salute !

NedLynch
09-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Just cleared cash, installed patch again and same. same story, some have problems, some don't.

Very strange indeed, your system is definitely much better than mine, completely puzzles me. Just one thing, I wasn't very happy with the latest whql driver, so I did a clean install of the 270.xx whql driver, running with that one now. I know it may be a long shot and you may be too frustrated to try it, on the other hand the worst thing that could happen is you have to reinstall the 280.xx whql driver.

Zappatime
09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Zappatime, have you tried the game online on a server or just offline? I also cleaned the cache so many times that my HD is scratched now... nothing changes.

No not online, this time round yet, but Warbirds' spec is higher than most so I was commenting in relation to that. At the moment flying into medium clouds severly hits fps, so I hope optimisation sorts that out, anyone familiar with the il2 46 mods will be aware how tweaking smoke and cloud effects without necessarily making them look any different can improve their effect on fps enormously.

Nvidia's latest drivers like 280.36 I'm convinced are still not as good as as the 270 series, but occasionally have removed graphical glitches in other games. I still reckon 270.61 is one of the best I have had for a while and I do keep going back to it.

Like you say Warbirds, some systems are fine some not with every patch comes changes for most, for better or worse is not at all predictable yet.

Lets hope the steam patch improves things for more people, for me some things are improved, some made worse, perhaps their optimisation work will sort it all for the better.

albx
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
No not online, this time round yet, but Warbirds' spec is higher than most so I was commenting in relation to that. At the moment flying into medium clouds severly hits fps, so I hope optimisation sorts that out, anyone familiar with the il2 46 mods will be aware how tweaking smoke and cloud effects without necessarily making them look any different can improve their effect on fps enormously.

Nvidia's latest drivers like 280.36 I'm convinced are still not as good as as the 270 series, but occasionally have removed graphical glitches in other games. I still reckon 270.61 is one of the best I have had for a while and I do keep going back to it.

Like you say Warbirds, some systems are fine some not with every patch comes changes for most, for better or worse is not at all predictable yet.

Lets hope the steam patch improves things for more people, for me some things are improved, some made worse, perhaps their optimisation work will sort it all for the better.

go online and you'll see, this is not a driver related, they messed something with the net-code.

Arklight
09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I had it working great, no stutters, smooth play, great graphics. But now after this so called beta patch it runs like xxxx. Sutters, stops and looks bad.

I did have everything maxed but now I have everything meduim or low with no grass just to smooth it out a bit, and it still halts and stutters.

I was afraid of this happening, just to placate the texture whinners you guys changed something that robs me of performance.

System:
I7 to 3.35
GTX 580
and the usual other tweaks and fine tuning.

You installed a BETA patch and it's the dev teams fault you are experiencing issues?

Ok. lol. ;)

warbirds
09-11-2011, 10:43 PM
Well ok, is it my fault when before the patch it worked, after patch not working. Some guys just have to pick a fight,,grow up and try again.

As for the clouds I am running the low cloud, smoke and dust mod. It is always the luck of the draw when patching a game, this time not so good for me but for others great. I do love the sounds and the atmosphereic tweaks now.

Blackdog_kt
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
I find it really inexplicable. I'm not saying i don't believe you guys, i just find it very strange that i have a two year old middle ground PC and i have seen nothing but improvements in performance with every single patch.

Seeing people with much beefier rigs than mine get a "lottery effect" on each patch is very confusing to me, especially for those that follow the proper patching guidelines (clearing cache, defragmenting the game folder through steam, etc).

Just for the record, i'm running on an i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz with no overclocking, windows 7 x64 pro, an Ati 4890 1GB and a measly 3GB of RAM. I run mostly medium settings (a couple are set to low so that i can set a couple more to high) at a 1680x1050 resolution and the only time i get lower than 25 FPS is when skimming rooftops over London (flying at 300ft or lower).

On one of the stock QMB ground attack missions (the one where you spawn in 110s a bit outside Manston) i have measured up to 55FPS and that was a couple of patches ago.

It really seems weird to me :confused:

NedLynch
09-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Would it be possible that it is simply the mod then that is causing you problems?

NedLynch
09-12-2011, 12:34 AM
I know this is not the topic of the thread, but if I may ask you one question Blackdog, since I don't think it warrants it's own thread.

Have you any knowledge about cloud optimization? Well, maybe it does belong here since the op is running a mod to reduce clouds as well.

On a clear day I get fps that are really nice (over 70, didn't measure it lately to it's fullest extend since I use vsync) almost independent from the number of planes being displayed. With clouds, as we all know, I am in the 30s....with luck.

Arklight
09-12-2011, 05:13 AM
Well ok, is it my fault when before the patch it worked, after patch not working. Some guys just have to pick a fight,,grow up and try again.

As for the clouds I am running the low cloud, smoke and dust mod. It is always the luck of the draw when patching a game, this time not so good for me but for others great. I do love the sounds and the atmosphereic tweaks now.

You are the one pointing figers at somebody else for your mistake. Don't take everything so personal.

I wasn't picking a fight, just pointing out common sense.

albx
09-12-2011, 05:24 AM
I find it really inexplicable. I'm not saying i don't believe you guys, i just find it very strange that i have a two year old middle ground PC and i have seen nothing but improvements in performance with every single patch.

Seeing people with much beefier rigs than mine get a "lottery effect" on each patch is very confusing to me, especially for those that follow the proper patching guidelines (clearing cache, defragmenting the game folder through steam, etc).

Just for the record, i'm running on an i7 920 @ 2.7 GHz with no overclocking, windows 7 x64 pro, an Ati 4890 1GB and a measly 3GB of RAM. I run mostly medium settings (a couple are set to low so that i can set a couple more to high) at a 1680x1050 resolution and the only time i get lower than 25 FPS is when skimming rooftops over London (flying at 300ft or lower).

On one of the stock QMB ground attack missions (the one where you spawn in 110s a bit outside Manston) i have measured up to 55FPS and that was a couple of patches ago.

It really seems weird to me :confused:

Blackdog_kt, have you tried the game online?

albx
09-12-2011, 05:35 AM
You are the one pointing figers at somebody else for your mistake. Don't take everything so personal.

I wasn't picking a fight, just pointing out common sense.

what common sense? Are we testing a BETA patch that should give improvements? yes, but I don't see any improvement, only different colors and a new really good sound. Online, as I said many times, for me it's almost impossible to fly, because when I'm close to a plane, or after some minutes the game become unplayable, 1 FPS, and I only fly online. We that have problems are reporting this to help devs to make it better, and not argue with somebody that thinks to know everything. In another post http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26097 I pointed to the fact that the Launcher.exe have a memory issue, but the only replies I got is that why I have 486 post and that this is not called memory leak. Are those answer helping something or are just nonsense? If reporting issues bothers some users then fine... I will stop like will be many others I believe.

Arklight
09-12-2011, 05:56 AM
what common sense? Are we testing a BETA patch that should give improvements? yes, but I don't see any improvement, only different colors and a new really good sound. Online, as I said many times, for me it's almost impossible to fly, because when I'm close to a plane, or after some minutes the game become unplayable, 1 FPS, and I only fly online. We that have problems are reporting this to help devs to make it better, and not argue with somebody that thinks to know everything. In another post http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=26097 I pointed to the fact that the Launcher.exe have a memory issue, but the only replies I got is that why I have 486 post and that this is not called memory leak. Are those answer helping something or are just nonsense? If reporting issues bothers some users then fine... I will stop like will be many others I believe.

It is common sense that a beta is just that...beta. Not finalized. Not completely tested. Use at your own risk. Etc.. etc..Always has been.

The beta patch did provide some improvements for some people. What you refer to as "only different colors and a new really good sound", does denote an improvement. Sorry the beta patch did not live up to your expectations and fix everything you had hoped, but it is usually best to go into any type of beta knowing full well some things may be improved while other aspects may be worse......that's the point of beta testing in the first place.

Posting issues found with a beta is one thing...complaining about the beta not working correctly is something else.

albx
09-12-2011, 06:26 AM
It is common sense that a beta is just that...beta. Not finalized. Not completely tested. Use at your own risk. Etc.. etc..Always has been.

The beta patch did provide some improvements for some people. What you refer to as "only different colors and a new really good sound", does denote an improvement. Sorry the beta patch did not live up to your expectations and fix everything you had hoped, but it is usually best to go into any type of beta knowing full well some things may be improved while other aspects may be worse......that's the point of beta testing in the first place.

Posting issues found with a beta is one thing...complaining about the beta not working correctly is something else.

Listen man, here nobody is complaining, you are changing what people say here, a report in a complain. I reported low FPS online, as other users, and you say that we are complaining about it. Again the same question, have you tested the game online?? And again, I know exactly what is a BETA and his purpose, and I hoped nothing be fixed different from what the devs said in the readme.

drewpee
09-12-2011, 12:17 PM
Just a quick reply. Some great additions in the beta patch but my performance over all is down and my launcher is crashing online.

ParaB
09-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Same here. I really like the new terrain colours but on my system (core-i5 2500k @4GHz, 8 GB RAM, GTX 460, Win 7 64 bit) I've suffered about 25% FPS loss with the latest beta patch.

Not too worried about it ATM though since I've pretty much shelved the game for the time being anyway and just check back in every couple of weeks for updates.

Blackdog_kt
09-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I know this is not the topic of the thread, but if I may ask you one question Blackdog, since I don't think it warrants it's own thread.

Have you any knowledge about cloud optimization? Well, maybe it does belong here since the op is running a mod to reduce clouds as well.

On a clear day I get fps that are really nice (over 70, didn't measure it lately to it's fullest extend since I use vsync) almost independent from the number of planes being displayed. With clouds, as we all know, I am in the 30s....with luck.

Clouds do affect FPS probably more than they should, but testing offline in the QMB with a variety of aircraft numbers per mission i've had no real issues. Maybe a couple of stutters extra but nothing serious and since clouds and weather in general are not final i'm not getting upset over it.

Blackdog_kt, have you tried the game online?

A couple of times, yes. Worked fine apart from the loading pauses when certain players joined/where close to me, but that's been tracked down to skin download.

Arklight
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Listen man, here nobody is complaining, you are changing what people say here, a report in a complain. I reported low FPS online, as other users, and you say that we are complaining about it. Again the same question, have you tested the game online?? And again, I know exactly what is a BETA and his purpose, and I hoped nothing be fixed different from what the devs said in the readme.

While after reading the OP's other posts in this thread I understand he did not intend to be "complaining", the first post could be construed as that. My original post still stands.

I have no idea how you managed to create this illusion that I called you or anybody else "complainers". I just went back through all of my posts and I never called anybody a complainer at anytime in any post. In fact, I think I said "complaining" one time and it wasn't even directed at anybody. So, please stop reading into everything I post.

And, yes, I have tested it online....though not for long as I have other life committments that take precedent.

JG14_Jagr
09-12-2011, 11:03 PM
For those with severe reading comprehension problems B...E...T...A is called that for a reason ;)

NedLynch
09-13-2011, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=Blackdog_kt;335392]Clouds do affect FPS probably more than they should, but testing offline in the QMB with a variety of aircraft numbers per mission i've had no real issues. Maybe a couple of stutters extra but nothing serious and since clouds and weather in general are not final i'm not getting upset over it.

You know I am not getting upset over it, 30 ish for a moment or two is no big deal at all. The thing that clouds are not final was the answer I was looking for since it means the devs are working on that one as well. :grin:

=FI=Scott
09-13-2011, 04:50 AM
I am aware that this is a beta and that as such it could be buggy but we had to learn from the Russian forums that performance enhancements in the new graphics will come at a later stage.

All it would have taken was for that fact to be mentioned in the beta patch release notes.