PDA

View Full Version : Development team HUD poll

furbs
09-10-2011, 08:46 AM
Don't think this has been asked before but i for one would like the old IL2 HUD to be a option for CLOD.

pupo162
09-10-2011, 09:15 AM
yes. speacially if simplified A LOT the set up of a HUD on client size.

Also it would be very good if server could enforce a "chat only" or "chat and speed bar only" style of gameplay.

Seeker
09-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Absolutely 1000% yes, if it's the only way to get useful heading info for RAF fighters.

Yet another "why would they mess with that?" improvement in Clod that's just not good enough.

MD_Titus
09-10-2011, 10:26 AM
I do find the lack of speedbar a bit... Odd.

jimbop
09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Yes! Not so much for speed but definitely for heading in the spit and hurricane. Very difficult to use at the moment.

JG52Uther
09-10-2011, 11:06 AM
Old il2 HUD was perfect, changed because?

robtek
09-10-2011, 11:38 AM
If the flying is "full real" the interpreting of the heading indicator in the brit fighters should be more difficult, as in "real life", leading to less sa.
It should be a option for not "full real" servers, though.

jimbop
09-10-2011, 11:41 AM
If the flying is "full real" the interpreting of the heading indicator in the brit fighters should be more difficult, as in "real life", leading to less sa.

I agree in principle but the problem is that I think it is harder than real life at the moment.

robtek
09-10-2011, 12:03 PM
I think the fact, that german cockpits were generally more "pilot-friendly" should reflect in game!

No601_Swallow
09-10-2011, 12:39 PM
Personally, I'd like it kept as it is.

I think the graphical feedback of the little throttle quadrant is elegant and beautiful. It gives me the feedback of the input settings I need.

The lack of the speedbar forces me to use my instruments. I think this is a wonderful, stellar, development in combat simming. For one, it helps me appreciate the sheer art of the cockpits and the readability of the gauges, and secondly it makes me feel like I'm part of the aircraft. It's a step closer to feeling that I'm actually flying.

I'd be very sad to see this go. Personally speaking, obviously. Hm. I feel pretty strongly about this one!

And another thing! Surely the speedbar kills immersion at least as much as the "icons on" switch. In fact, I'd argue that the "icons on" switch is more justifiable because it deals with an inherent lack of realism in computer sims (difficulty in spotting, identifying and tracking other aircraft).

As for the compass - learn to read the compass! (And yep, I fly spits and hurris almost exclusively.) And with the channel map, working out which direction is north and south and east and west really isn't that hard. ;)

Rjel
09-10-2011, 01:45 PM
I vote yes, at least as an option. One man's cheat is another man's tool. Going back to the original IL2 I've never used icons because it spoils any illusion of being real life to me. On the other hand I've always used the HUD and felt lost when it wasn't available online. I think we all see our version of "realism" as we want to.

Blackdog_kt
09-11-2011, 04:28 PM

Personally, I'd like it kept as it is.

I think the graphical feedback of the little throttle quadrant is elegant and beautiful. It gives me the feedback of the input settings I need.

The lack of the speedbar forces me to use my instruments. I think this is a wonderful, stellar, development in combat simming. For one, it helps me appreciate the sheer art of the cockpits and the readability of the gauges, and secondly it makes me feel like I'm part of the aircraft. It's a step closer to feeling that I'm actually flying.

I'd be very sad to see this go. Personally speaking, obviously. Hm. I feel pretty strongly about this one!

And another thing! Surely the speedbar kills immersion at least as much as the "icons on" switch. In fact, I'd argue that the "icons on" switch is more justifiable because it deals with an inherent lack of realism in computer sims (difficulty in spotting, identifying and tracking other aircraft).

As for the compass - learn to read the compass! (And yep, I fly spits and hurris almost exclusively.) And with the channel map, working out which direction is north and south and east and west really isn't that hard. ;)

I'd vote yes as a server side option, as it would greatly assist in training new pilots, but should be kept off for full real servers.

That's pretty much my take on things. The throttle position sliders are acceptable because in reality a pilot can simply run his hand over the controls to see how they are set without having to look at them, this is a feature that simulates the interaction of knowing a cockpit layout and muscle memory on the pilot's part. We don't look at our controls when driving a car either, we can perfectly set the air-conditioning or change radio stations while still keeping our eyes on the road, because we know the car's layout. That's what the engine sliders represent and people who have better game controllers (throttle quadrants etc) that give them the same kind of physical feedback can then turn off the in-game sliders that simulate this effect.

The speedbar on the other hand should be an option that can be turned off by the server. Again, we can sense speed and judge engine RPMs by sound in a car, but to know exactly how much speed we're making or the precise engine RPMs we need to glance down at the dashboard. This is what the lack of speedbar simulates and we also have a "glance at dashboard" command that makes it very easy to take a quick look at the instruments. This makes it fully possible to fly by the gauges like it happens in real life in many regimes of flight.

As for the compass, all we need is a command similar to the "glance at dashboard" command we now have, but centered on the compass: keep the key pressed to look at the compass, release the key to return to the previous view.

Either that or the ability to save custom viewpoints like RoF does it and the compass issue is solved without the need for a speedbar.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for options so if people want to use a speedbar they should have the option to do so. I just don't want to see it in full switch servers because i consider it a step of regression: much of the work done in CoD in regards to cockpits and systems modeling is taking us one step closer to how fights were managed by the pilots back then, it was a trade-off between SA and managing your airplane and that had been sorely missing for a long time from prop-sims. Now that we finally have it, it makes no sense to eliminate this feature globally.

If people can't handle it, don't like it, or just want to mess around in pure dogfight mode for a while they should certainly be able to sidestep it and the way to do it is already there: just add a speedbar option in the difficulty settings. However, the people who also like the new tactical challenges enforced by having to manage your aircraft should have a choice too, we can't just enforce speedbar globally, it would be robbing the game of one of its major improvements: the ability and need to finally fly by instruments and make the correct tactical choices to offset the diminishing of SA caused by "head down in the gauges" time.

As an option, sure, server enforced. As a blanket change for everyone, definitely not: those that want is should be able to use it, those that don't want it shouldn't be forced to use it ;)

ElAurens
09-11-2011, 05:22 PM
Just wait till we get later in the war and have to read the fuel gauge on Hawk 87s or Yaks.

At least the American planes have a proper compass and 3 axis trim.

jimbop
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
The speedbar on the other hand should be an option that can be turned off by the server...

As for the compass, all we need is a command similar to the "glance at dashboard" command we now have, but centered on the compass: keep the key pressed to look at the compass, release the key to return to the previous view.

+1

I prefer the old Merlin cockpit sounds simply because I can no longer easily tell the rpm in the 2600-2900 range by sound. Whether realistic or not this should be changed (at least a little) to allow easier determination of rpm since we are missing a lot of other indicators that a real pilot would have for this like vibration.