PDA

View Full Version : In gaming, everything is amazing, but no one is happy

conio
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
Probably OT but worth a read for some (but not you, "You are one of the good ones").

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/09/gaming-everything-is-amazing-and-no-one-is-happy.ars

Blackdog_kt
09-11-2011, 04:05 PM
So true on so many levels. We all have our pet peeves and there are a whole lot of valid complaints by players, openly discussing them is not the problem.

The problem is that they are stretched out of proportion more often than not, turning valid issues of varying importance into a multitude of false life or death dilemmas, with each single feature being touted as the most important thing ever, often by the same persons who are then naturally contradicting themselves: if issue A is the #1 priority then issue B can't be the #1 priority too, but there's a whole lot of people who act like it's possible to have a dozen issues share the #1 spot :-P

Just like a folk saying in my native language goes, turning a single hair into a rope ;)

Vengeanze
09-11-2011, 04:07 PM
I think your quote in your sig says it all blackdog.

Richie
09-11-2011, 06:59 PM
plus

i think this has a bit to do with comparing this sim to the flawless IL-2. Give Cliffs of Dover 6 months...a year.

NedLynch
09-11-2011, 09:02 PM
+1

Oh yeah, the "flawless" IL21946.....I still had my 109 turning on the runway before take off at times and playing a pacific mission I found out that my flight was unable to land back on the carrier......just saying.

whoarmongar
09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
I think the core of the problem is that the heart of this game is the player v player multiplayer dogfight.
The single player game is flawed and limited
In multiplayer cooperative missions are not really an option
So you are effectivly left with the dogfight game.
Which is not a mutually shared experience, rather it is conflict.
This conflict then carries itself onto the forum, where commited red/blue players are always trying to gain some advantage for "their side", show very little understanding or empathy for the "other"side, and create disparaging nicknames for the "enemy".
Add a few trolls and some disgruntled customers and you can soon get a rather sickening atmosphere.
The simple facts are that cooperation builds a community, conflict divides communities, and peoples wants are never satisfied.

conio
09-12-2011, 04:18 PM
The point is that, with all the known bugs and issues, I still enjoy flying. Yes, it could be better but personally I think, as it is, is very playable.

We shouldn't be focusing on what flaws CLoD has based on our idea of a "perfect" simulator. The way I see it is that any bug and/or issues fixed will just add value to an already nice game which even with it's current deficiencies is worth the money I payed for it.

Note: Obviously some of this does not apply to those who can't run it due to CTD etc.