PDA

View Full Version : Merlin sounds in new patch

ATAG_Snapper
09-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Much improved. Start up both in cockpit and external sound great. Once in flight the cockpit sounds good IMHO, but external and flyby just don't have the "Merlin magic". Guns are very muted both in cockpit and external. I've heard that this is authentic in that the engine drowns out the guns......but I guess I wouldn't mind a little Hollywood enhancement. However, others may differ on that.

Here's a quick little video of these sounds for those who haven't had the chance to hear them. (I need to learn how to imbed videos in this forum!)

http://vimeo.com/28731039

pupo162
09-08-2011, 01:19 PM
.303 sounds could be enhanced indee, but ive never been on plane who fired weapons sooo my opinion is as usefull as bottle of bear.

Doc_uk
09-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Much improved. Start up both in cockpit and external sound great. Once in flight the cockpit sounds good IMHO, but external and flyby just don't have the "Merlin magic". Guns are very muted both in cockpit and external. I've heard that this is authentic in that the engine drowns out the guns......but I guess I wouldn't mind a little Hollywood enhancement. However, others may differ on that.

Here's a quick little video of these sounds for those who haven't had the chance to hear them. (I need to learn how to imbed videos in this forum!)

http://vimeo.com/28731039I agree on the external and flyby Sounds
to dumb'd down, for my liking

skouras
09-08-2011, 01:27 PM
guys is beta
not ready yet
but i'm sure that will see more and hear in the patch
personally i like how the cockpits look like
espesially the gauges of the 109

ATAG_Snapper
09-08-2011, 01:50 PM
guys is beta
not ready yet
but i'm sure that will see more and hear in the patch
personally i like how the cockpits look like
espesially the gauges of the 109

Well, that's a relief!!! Looking forward to the fixed Merlin sounds in the next Steam patch. :)

Lololopoulos
09-08-2011, 02:39 PM
great video. Can you also make a similar one for ME109?
ALso i have a question, I've always seen AIs turn just with a rudder, but I have never managed to do that without the aid of aileron. How did you turn with the rudder in the video and kept the plane steady and not rolling over?

ATAG_Bliss
09-08-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Snapper,

Have you heard the rotol hurri yet? That sounds quite good :)

ATAG_Snapper
09-08-2011, 03:04 PM
great video. Can you also make a similar one for ME109?
ALso i have a question, I've always seen AIs turn just with a rudder, but I have never managed to do that without the aid of aileron. How did you turn with the rudder in the video and kept the plane steady and not rolling over?

Yep, will do. Will also do one for Hurri Rotol per Bliss' post above. Had assumed that Hurri & Spit sounded the same!

Most of the video was using AI (Single Mission -Cross Country). I only went Manual to shoot the guns.

ATAG_Snapper
09-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Hi Snapper,

Have you heard the rotol hurri yet? That sounds quite good :)

Thx for heads up, Bliss. Will check it out per my post above. :)

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-08-2011, 03:38 PM
My favourite external Merlin sounds were Jafa's,especially the flyby just superb.

Catseye
09-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Agree,
The internal sounds and the startup/taxi sounds are excellent.

Like you, I find that the fly-by sounds are missing that Merlin magic. I find that some of the modders in IL-2 are much closer in their efforts t duplicate it.

I hope that the devs are able capture this asap as I miss having the hair on the back of my neck stand up whenever I hear one fly-by.

Same for the 109, there is a certain depth of flyby that I think is also missing.

There are a couple of vids in another thread of both types in a mock dogfight at an air show that does the job for me.

skouras
09-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Luthier states that the whine sound on the 109 will be better in the official patch :grin:

Ze-Jamz
09-08-2011, 06:35 PM
I think the 109 flyby is fine the start-up is fine too but like you the whine is a bit much sometimes

I think the Merlin is bad in comparison to be honest, it doesn't sound like a Merlin..the 303's could be a bit louder, maybe they were not like that in RL but everyone likes to hear their guns :)