PDA

View Full Version : new version of the sim on dvd ?

Pluto
09-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Maybe much too early to ask now but ... once the sim is running as it should, after I dont know how many more patches, will there be a new version of "Cliffs of Dover" available to buy on dvd including all the improvements ?

I have the collectors edition but useless to say that the sim that comes with it cannot even be called a beta version. I prefer to have it all on dvd in my own shelf, not just a raw game that needs endless updates and patches from steam before it runs properly.

So, Mr. Luthier, will there be another version of it later on dvd ?
Like for example the "Iron Cross Edition" of Rise of Flight, which is maybe not perfect but way better than the first released version.
:roll:

Kankkis
09-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I got digital copy myself, but if i have been understand right, you cannot even install if from CD.

Same for me, i reinstall allways my all steangames straight from Steam, allmost a same time and no worries for searching CD.

Pluto
09-08-2011, 10:14 AM
I got digital copy myself, but if i have been understand right, you cannot even install if from CD.

... no,no, no problem, game is intalled and running, no problem.
just asking if there will be a new release of the game on dvd some time maybe next year or so, including all the improvements that are made now and in the next few months or so, ...
:)

JG52Krupi
09-08-2011, 10:20 AM
It's a steamworks game, when you try to install it from cd it will pull the latest version from steam. So in a way, as long as you are connected to the interment, the cd will always be up to date :P

However from a purely fiscal point of view they could release one like rof once the bugs are irined out just to pull more ppl into the game ;)

Troll2k
09-08-2011, 12:10 PM
The DVD is essentially just a Steam install.There is no game on the DVD.Once Steam is installed and setup it d/ls the latest game.

Madfish
09-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Maybe much too early to ask now but ... once the sim is running as it should, after I dont know how many more patches, will there be a new version of "Cliffs of Dover" available to buy on dvd including all the improvements ?

I have the collectors edition but useless to say that the sim that comes with it cannot even be called a beta version. I prefer to have it all on dvd in my own shelf, not just a raw game that needs endless updates and patches from steam before it runs properly.

So, Mr. Luthier, will there be another version of it later on dvd ?
Like for example the "Iron Cross Edition" of Rise of Flight, which is maybe not perfect but way better than the first released version.
:roll:

No need to rolleyes. :rolleyes:

You can make it yourself! For example whenever the game is ready in a state that is up to your majesties standards just follow these 3 simple steps:

1) open your games library in steam
2) right click IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover
3) select backup game files and put them on a dvd or whatever medium you like

Done :cool:

If you want a custom cover you can make one. Scan the normal cover from the initial release e.g. and add a slogan of your choice, print it, done.

My computer doesn't even have an optical drive anymore and never will. Those loud devices of hell should stay right there. Optical discs have been the most unreliable medium I've ever had. But with this method from above you can also use a USB stick or whatever. That's much better than a normal DVD isn't it? :)

Flying Pencil
09-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I assume if you get from Steam you pay for it.

But if you buy the box you get a # so you do not pay to get CoD off Steam?

Pluto
09-08-2011, 07:35 PM
...the rolling eyes are not meant sarcastic, my posting was just a simple question, sorry if you got it wrong but thanks anyway for all your answers
:)

Madfish
09-09-2011, 02:17 AM
@pluto
No worries :-P

I assume if you get from Steam you pay for it.

But if you buy the box you get a # so you do not pay to get CoD off Steam?

You lost me. Are you asking if the game can be used / played / installed without steam? Then the answer is no.
Steam is basically the copy protection of CloD. So you can't install it without having steam and an internet connection (at least during the activation process). After activation you could put steam in offline mode and play it offline.

Personally I didn't get it from steam but I, like everyone else, had to activate my copies on Steam. It doesn't matter if you buy a download version directly from steam or other stores, boxed or collectors editions.