PDA

View Full Version : "Effects" graphic option vs Frame Rate.

Majo
09-07-2011, 09:38 AM
The "Effects" Graphic option use to have a great impact over the "minimum" value for Frame Rate in the previous patch and now with the BETA Patch v 1.03.15527 it seems that this impact has increased.

With the data gathered in the "black death" track and double checked with the FPS game tool and FRAPS checking the "valleys" of the graphic always are aligned with the presence of "effects" in the track.
Examples:
- Hurry blown up during takeoff.
- Consecutive explosions in presence of ground vehicles.
- Bf110 turning around a smoke column.

Additional data:
There seems to be no difference between high and medium for Effects option setting.
With low setting you just do not get any effect.
My values are with "Effects" Mid-High:
- Max FPS 63-65 (VSYNC ON in Driver, OFF in GAME)
- Avg FPS 44-47
- Min FPS 7-12
With "Effects" low:
- Max FPS 68 (VSYNC ON in Driver, OFF in GAME)
- Avg FPS 49
- Min FPS 22

In the confi.ini it does not seems to have any possibility for additional settings
since the available values are only 0, 1 y 2, not like shadows or grass which have additional values that can be manually set.

Having a positive impression of the latest Patch, also about the phantom one of the week earlier, I think that this could be optimized since, to me, the
drop of FPS is clearly located.

Salutes.

Vengeanze
09-07-2011, 09:41 AM
Good info. Thanks.

Btw, with Effects on low you say you don't see explosions in the black death track but how about if you try a single mission and crash your plane?

LoBiSoMeM
09-07-2011, 10:01 AM
I use MEDIUM.

Less smoke but more FPS. I like the trade ;)

Majo
09-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Confirmed, either online or offline once you set up your "Effects" option at low level you lose all the dynamic effects.
No fire.
No smoke.
No tracers.
No dust.
No flack.
No explosions.

So there is a big difference between Low and Medium compare to Medium to High (almost inexistent) visually speaking. Still the price you pay mainly in the minimum FPS value (always using the "Death Track" track as reference), is very significant.

I think this huge difference is very important in virtual combat situations for this sim, where dynamics effects are a substantial part of the combat.
Just imagine...
... After a bombing action to an enemy base (smoke, fire, flack, etc) trying to do some strafing at 8-12 FPS or trying an emergency scramble. Just like the track...
I know that many consider as the graphic setup reference the "flight over London". I myself consider a more realistic reference a combat scenario like the one represented in the "Death Track" where the effects are a major part of the action.

Salutes,

Majo.