PDA

View Full Version : Latest Patch - First Observations

Catseye
09-06-2011, 07:12 PM
I like the toned down cockpit colours but the landscape is quite hazy. While I understand the haze at altitude, should it not become clearer as you fly closer to the ground? Especially on a bright sunnery day?

The Merlin fly-by sound has missed the mark in my opinion. The uniqueness of the Merlin sound is one of the most recognized piston engine aircraft sounds there is. In my opinion, all the overtones of the flyby are missing which includes the propwash sounds.

I would love to give a passing mark on the above but at this stage a few tweaks would go a long way. I think you are moving in the right direction though.

I think the sim is on the verge of greatness and I enjoy it very much and don't wish to fall into the negative crowd but find I have to comment on my initial observations as I see them.

Keep up the great work guys and thanks for all your dedication.
Cheers

bongodriver
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
should it not become clearer as you fly closer to the ground? Especially on a bright sunnery day?

nope, thats the way it is in real life

Vengeanze
09-06-2011, 07:35 PM

And you should know. ;)

/Blond sexy swedish girl waiting for a handsome pilot

Catseye
09-06-2011, 07:48 PM

I don't agree. Less volume of air with particles to view through, lower viscosity clearer view as altitude decreases. On a sunny clear day. Not fog, not smog, not industrial polution - on a clear sunny day.

senseispcc
09-06-2011, 08:16 PM
New patch at high altitude 25000ft. ;

http://s3.postimage.org/krbu84j0/shot_20110906_201416.png (http://postimage.org/image/7zxo1lxg/full/)

Contrails ;
http://s3.postimage.org/xiwmk0rd/shot_20110906_201429.png (http://postimage.org/image/804a6zwk/full/)
Other view;
http://s3.postimage.org/2cknxffv9/shot_20110906_201427.png (http://postimage.org/image/80awcdvo/full/)
On the ground;
http://s3.postimage.org/1aao11b0s/shot_20110906_203341.png (http://postimage.org/image/80hihrus/full/)

Before the patch at medium altitude 5000ft.;

http://s3.postimage.org/2pcp94t29/Spitfire.png (http://postimage.org/image/80y1v8sk/full/)
After the patch at the same altitude;
http://s4.postimage.org/f6hpfzhlk/shot_20110906_220322.png (http://postimage.org/image/101ykr6ec/full/)
Same but at 0500 am ;
http://s4.postimage.org/tcxtjiked/shot_20110906_220436.png (http://postimage.org/image/102bt1yck/full/)

But the best improvement I cannot give an example here the sound is really different especially the guns of the British planes Spitfires and Hurricanes. I did not test the Germans ones. Let us hope this is a step more in the right direction.

Have all a nicer game.

Tavingon
09-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Is it me or are the wing trails new?

bongodriver
09-06-2011, 08:53 PM
I don't agree. Less volume of air with particles to view through, lower viscosity clearer view as altitude decreases. On a sunny clear day. Not fog, not smog, not industrial polution - on a clear sunny day.

But the air is denser at low altitude....how can there be less viscosity?

whoarmongar
09-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Viscosity only applies to liquids.

As this is a flight sim, not a sub sim viscosity does not apply at any altitude.

Ali Fish
09-06-2011, 09:52 PM
should it not become clearer as you fly closer to the ground?

it should yes, and thats a fact, and contrary to what most here seem to say.

but we will have to live with the lack of dynamics in this area possibly untill dx11 is part of the equation. Its only a game after all. and no other flightsim can claim to do what we are actually expecting in this area. our expectations are under scrutiny here where this is concerned

furbs
09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Sounds are soooooooooooo much better! needs tweaking but its great. 109 start up...WOW!!
Colors are very nice, for the first time i thought i was flying over England!, if we just had hedgerows it would be 99% there. Building pop up is almost gone!! great for immersion.
Sea color is better with much nicer shoreline.
The new blueish is not great and as some say its more like a blue filter applied to the whole screen and doesn't seem to blend for distance.

Still lots of bugs to crush but its a BETA.

Disappointing is still no word on FSAA, the AI is still awful(i thought it was getting looked at?) the commands are still fubar, dots still show through the landscape and props still merge in the clouds.

Its a mixed bag for me but overall is a very nice patch!! Well done Luthier, keep going

baronWastelan
09-06-2011, 10:13 PM
On a sunny clear day. Not fog, not smog, not industrial polution - on a clear sunny day (taken by me this past weekend in pristine de-industrialized california )

In second pic, in the upper right hand, you can see the fog bank over the Pacific ocean about 15 km away:

Ali Fish
09-06-2011, 10:39 PM
lovely images, must be great living there man! perfect example of distance and haze, look at the trees and when close, much less haze.

bongodriver
09-06-2011, 10:56 PM
Viscosity only applies to liquids.

As this is a flight sim, not a sub sim viscosity does not apply at any altitude.

Gases

Viscosity in gases arises principally from the molecular diffusion that transports momentum between layers of flow. The kinetic theory of gases allows accurate prediction of the behavior of gaseous viscosity.

Within the regime where the theory is applicable:
Viscosity is independent of pressure and
Viscosity increases as temperature increases.[12]

James Clerk Maxwell published a famous paper in 1866 using the kinetic theory of gases to study gaseous viscosity.[13] To understand why the viscosity is independent of pressure, consider two adjacent boundary layers (A and B) moving with respect to each other. The internal friction (the viscosity) of the gas is determined by the probability a particle of layer A enters layer B with a corresponding transfer of momentum. Maxwell's calculations showed him that the viscosity coefficient is proportional to both the density, the mean free path and the mean velocity of the atoms. On the other hand, the mean free path is inversely proportional to the density. So an increase of pressure doesn't result in any change of the viscosity.

Of course this contradicts my explanation but it does prove that gas has viscosity, as far as saying air is less hazy at altitude....thats just fact and I am speaking from 2800 hours of flying experience, the only time I have seen haze at altitude is when passing through a temparature inversion.

hc_wolf
09-06-2011, 11:16 PM
I can quote from something also. Viscosity bla bla bla...

How about you both have a a hot cup of Shut the F*#K UP and just go fly the planes and enjoy the great work the team have done so far.

MadBlaster
09-06-2011, 11:20 PM

How about you both have a a hot cup of Shut the F*#K UP and just go fly the planes and enjoy the great work the team have done so far.

LOL. You have my vote for forum moderator.;)

bongodriver
09-06-2011, 11:55 PM

If you were doing exactly what you were suggesting you wouldnt have needed to be such a hypocritical xxx.

zxwings
09-07-2011, 12:37 AM
I like the toned down cockpit colours but the landscape is quite hazy. While I understand the haze at altitude, should it not become clearer as you fly closer to the ground? Especially on a bright sunnery day?

I think the sim is on the verge of greatness and I enjoy it very much and don't wish to fall into the negative crowd but find I have to comment on my initial observations as I see them.

Cheers
I agree, the haziness is overdone. It is a bit too dusty not only when you look down at the ground from in the air, but also when you look up at the sky.

Despite that the new graphics are still an improvement. :)

Catseye
09-07-2011, 01:44 AM
Great improvement on spotting low level inbound bombers over water in the quick missions. Before they seemed to be lost in the waves and now I could see them clearly and judge their approach angle clearly.

Vast improvement.

Well done guys.

NedLynch
09-07-2011, 02:13 AM

I do belive they are :grin:.

sorak
09-07-2011, 02:27 AM

I noticed them now too.. hehe Pretty sure they are new

hc_wolf
09-07-2011, 02:51 AM
If you were doing exactly what you were suggesting you wouldnt have needed to be such a hypocritical twat.

Bongodriver
Viscosity is normally independent of pressure, but liquids under extreme pressure often experience an increase in viscosity (Got that from Google! :cool: )

bongodriver Are you under pressure? Do you feel you have been unfairly treated? Is your blood viscosity low due to a recent attack on your knowledge of viscosity...? if so please take two aspirin and see a doctor if pain persists.

Have a sense of humour I am just messing round on my lunch break at work
(which is why I am not home playing IL2 COD)

So take your comments about me been a hypocritical twat and add them to you hot cup and stirrrr..... stirrrr

bongodriver
09-07-2011, 07:00 AM
So I quoted......where the hell did I suggest I didn't?, was it all too much information for you to take in? do these forums have to be all about some idiot making smartass rude replies to other forum users who havent gone out of their way to offend them, so other people can Hi 5 them for being rude hypocritical xxx?
I just didn't appreciate being told to have a cup of anything by someone who was nothing to do with the conversation and yes your post was aimed at me I can quote from something also. Viscosity bla bla bla...

Viscosity is normally independent of pressure, but liquids under extreme pressure often experience an increase in viscosity (Got that from Google! )

good for you......but I am at a loss at what you are trying to prove, my 'quote' was a reply was to someone who said gas doesn't have viscosity.

ZaltysZ
09-07-2011, 07:32 AM
Old colors had too much acid green. Current ones have no acid, but I find them to be slightly on purple side. This sometimes makes haze look weird and ground seem like it is autumn.

machoo
09-07-2011, 07:41 AM
What was the thing that was going to make the competitors 'squirm'?

bongodriver
09-07-2011, 07:46 AM

Don't know but it seems to have the rest of us squirming too, it's a bold statement and the fact this latest patch has gone quite well adds weight to it's credibility.

xnomad
09-07-2011, 08:29 AM
At first I was disappointed with the Minengeschoss on the E4 then I checked the load out and realised I was actually in the E3 haha. I had been re-starting and changing planes so much that I accidentally chose the wrong aircraft and hadn't noticed.

So I got back in the E4 and fired at some Hurris and a He 115. I like the new explosions and the big holes I put in the targets. Good stuff that Minengeschoss!

Shame is that the FPS has dropped to a point where I'm starting to feel a bit sick after playing, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to lower some of the gfx settings.

Also I'm hating the overdone MG-17 muzzle flash, that's a step in the wrong direction and reminds me of the the awful ones we fought to get rid of in IL2.

Nevertheless it's nice to see all the great improvements done, and I hope they soon will have time to fix the other bugs.

David198502
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
yesterday i had a first glance........way way better.gfx are a big improvement.the only thing in my opinion is,that the blue haze is a bit too pronounced.but its definitely better.i really like the way the sun is blinding one now.that really feels realistic.and also the general light on the landscape looks lifelike.way better.would be good to have the trees placed more convincing and hedgegrows added, but one can hope for the next patches.
i think now its time to focus on other things like the ai!and i would really love to see attention to the flight models.i want them as accurate as possible.i dont want to hunt spits doing insane negative g manouvers.and i want accurate power for every plane.please focus on accuracy.
all in all.....great job devs.biggest improvement so far for sure.

David198502
09-07-2011, 09:09 AM

well you should read more carefully.the surprise didnt make this patch and luthier mentioned that it will take some while.

Blackdog_kt
09-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Actually they said the surprise feature wasn't even scheduled for this patch, probably on the next one. I'm just as curious as everyone else :-P

Disappointing is still no word on FSAA, the AI is still awful(i thought it was getting looked at?) the commands are still fubar, dots still show through the landscape and props still merge in the clouds.

Its a mixed bag for me but overall is a very nice patch!! Well done Luthier, keep going

I think none of those items were part of the stated goals of the patch. Not saying they shouldn't get fixed, to the contrary in fact, they just weren't part of this update.

That being said, the placeholder commands are looking very interesting, there are specific orders for each crewman.
I was testing the Blenheim yesterday (as a side note, it doesn't swerve so much to the right with the redone ground handling physics and the bombsight is working well, so we now have a usable bomber for the red side) and it seems you can order the copilot to report speed, altitude, take care of the flaps/gear for you, etc.

Well, you can't just yet, but you know what i mean, if it's part of the next update it will be very impressive and put a bit of crew feeling in the twins.

There's still a lot of stuff that need fixing but to be fairly honest, i'm impressed thus far: they haven't fixed everything but the longer i test this patch the longer i see that they did fix what they said it would improve.

First, bongodriver is a pilot with personal experience on the matter.

Second, he didn't diss the developers, in fact he's one of the most supportive people here. People can have opinions you know.

Third, please go back and edit/rephrase your posts for profanity/personal attacks before someone decides to give you a temporary ban for breaking the forum rules.

If you were doing exactly what you were suggesting you wouldnt have needed to be such a hypocritical twat.

Don't get sucked in please, use the report post button instead.

Let's not derail the thread guys ;-)

bongodriver
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Fair point, which entitles an unreserved and unconditional appology to hc_wolf for my use of profanity.

banned
09-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Flew for a bit. Absolutely friggin unreal. Well done boys. Amazing stuff. Sounds are great. Performance is spot on. I'm hooked again.

Ataros
09-07-2011, 11:53 AM
More great news:

Custom ingame menus introduced http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25941

BTW community needs more C# scripters to make some basic scripts for everyone.