PDA

View Full Version : Gore

JG52Krupi
09-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Rather than derail Meaker's (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25841) excellent thread I have decided to make a poll on the question of gore in Cod.

My opinion on this subject is that it's not needed and I don't think it has even crossed MG mind (hopefully), blood on the cockpits is as far as I would want this to go.

I do not see the point in having a gore model, it is far too much work for something we would only see now and again and I am sure it would also promote parachute killing, something I despise :mad:

Anyway that's my 2p on this subject... Discuss!

Edit: when I say gore I'm not talking about a bit of blood, I am talking about a limbs etc...

Melbourne, FL
09-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Personally, I don't care about gore as long as there is some sort of animation/pilot position that tells me if he is dead or alive.

Alexander

Sven
09-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Perosnally, I don't care about gore as long as there is some sort of animation/pilot position that tells me if he is dead or alive.

Alexander

Same opinion, don't really care about gore as long as long as I can clearly see his head hanging down in the cockpit.

JG52Krupi
09-05-2011, 09:51 AM
Those that voted yes please could you explain why you want to see limbs blown off!

Helrza
09-05-2011, 09:51 AM
I wouldnt mind it to be honest, i dont mind a bit of blood splattered cockpit :) adds to immersion for me :)

edit: i would love exploding bits :P its the sadist in me rofl

jimbop
09-05-2011, 09:52 AM
No gore for me, thanks. Having said that, more information on what my injuries are would be useful. Maybe this isn't modelled though.

JG52Krupi
09-05-2011, 09:54 AM
Dudes when I say gore I don't mean a bit if blood I mean limbs and a fully destroyable pilot!!!

jimbop
09-05-2011, 10:05 AM
What would be good about gore is if pilot damage was modelled well enough to affect pilot controls appropriately. For instance, you take a round in your leg and can no longer use the rudder properly.

I would vote yes for that but gore just for the visual effect? No.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-05-2011, 10:07 AM
Agree 100% Krupi,very well put;-)

We don't need blood and guts on here,do we?maybe as some one put it on my thread,that not all the bail outs would be successful,and that maybe every now and then the automated pilot could fall against his aircraft and die,this would be realistic,and that would'nt require a show of blood,just him falling to the ground and parachute failing to be opened.

Quick historic story lightly connected:

The guy you see in my avatar was indeed the real Plt Off JRB Meaker,he served with 249 Squadron along with his pal Plt Off Percy Burton,they flew Hurricanes for 249 Sqn and whilst performing their duty on the 27th Sept 1940 were both killed within hours of one another over Sussex.It's a real sad story.

Burton should have received a medal for his gallant conflict with a Bf110 of Stab V(Z)LG1 on the 27th but was only mentioned in dispatches,after being mortally wounded,he flew straight into the path of his attacker forcing the German aircraft to crash.

Meaker was apparantly shot down by the crossfire from some five Ju88's and although unharmed from the aircraft being shot up,he managed to bail out,unfortunatley as he did so he fell against the tailplane of his aircraft and fell to earth,his parachute unopened.

I've always thought these two guys depicted the true bravery and sacrifice our RAF guys gave during WW2,and having Meaker as my avatar is in a way a very small tribute.

pupo162
09-05-2011, 10:26 AM
the blodier the merrier.

JK, but voted yes. i want to go by the cockpit of an enemy plane and be able to see if hes dead or not, i know, see some blood in it, like some il2 moods

JG52Krupi
09-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Ah for f&€k sake read you cretins!!!

Mods can you delete this poll so I can make another with a blood and a gore option rather than just yes.

Vengeanze
09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
All your polls are belong to us

pupo162
09-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Ah for f&€k sake read you cretins!!!

Mods can you delete this poll so I can make another with a blood and a gore option rather than just yes.

well waht do you want me to vote?

i want some blood. blood is gore by PEGI standards. so i want gore.

JG52Krupi
09-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Ohhh this could bring some very cool stuff to the table, if you do not put your aircraft in the bailout position then yes you would end up fretting the tail of your aircraft, this could work with the animations very well.

P.S. Hans Marseille perished the same way, blinded by smoke from his engine he could not tell how his aircraft was flying and when he jumped the 109 was not in the right position and therefore he met his own tail... Ouch.

Agree 100% Krupi,very well put;-)

We don't need blood and guts on here,do we?maybe as some one put it on my thread,that not all the bail outs would be successful,and that maybe every now and then the automated pilot could fall against his aircraft and die,this would be realistic,and that would'nt require a show of blood,just him falling to the ground and parachute failing to be opened.

Quick historic story lightly connected:

The guy you see in my avatar was indeed the real Plt Off JRB Meaker,he served with 249 Squadron along with his pal Plt Off Percy Burton,they flew Hurricanes for 249 Sqn and whilst performing their duty on the 27th Sept 1940 were both killed within hours of one another over Sussex.It's a real sad story.

Burton should have received a medal for his gallant conflict with a Bf110 of Stab V(Z)LG1 on the 27th but was only mentioned in dispatches,after being mortally wounded,he flew straight into the path of his attacker forcing the German aircraft to crash.

Meaker was apparantly shot down by the crossfire from some five Ju88's and although unharmed from the aircraft being shot up,he managed to bail out,unfortunatley as he did so he fell against the tailplane of his aircraft and fell to earth,his parachute unopened.

I've always thought these two guys depicted the true bravery and sacrifice our RAF guys gave during WW2,and having Meaker as my avatar is in a way a very small tribute.

Feathered_IV
09-05-2011, 11:57 AM
Not bothered. In life, the figures are stunned mannequins who have just had their hamburger stolen. They each use 4096x4096 textures, when even a Fw-200 only has a 2048 (and we wonder why it stutters when you fly towards a bomber). Fix that first and worry about the rest later.

Winger
09-05-2011, 12:36 PM
I Voted yes. For 2 reasons.

1. I am Marture and i want as much realism as possible.
2. If a series of 20mm shells strike a canopy there is nothing left but gore. So show it to us:)

Winger

skouras
09-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Personally, I don't care about gore as long as there is some sort of animation/pilot position that tells me if he is dead or alive.

Alexander

same

Trooper117
09-05-2011, 01:20 PM
Voted no.. with a big N..
Absolutely no need for it in this game.

Doc_uk
09-05-2011, 02:29 PM
As much as i voted yes,
all i want to see is if you get shot in cockpit, Dead, i would like to see pilot slumped, and wounded i would like to see maby a red mist

Trooper117
09-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Even in first person shooters, any kind of blood or 'gore' as it has affectionately become known, is never, repeat never modelled correctly.. also, it tends to be completely over the top and nothing like real life.
I've seen what high velocity projectiles do to people, I certainly wouldn't like to see it in this game.
Everyone who clamours for it as extra realism I would suggest has never seen it, except in films, and that is not the same.
It's a total waste of resources at a time when the devs are hard put to put the game in a fully functioning condition and playable state, without messing around trying to impliment a bit of 'gore' because they think its real..

Jaws2002
09-05-2011, 03:26 PM
I hope they don't even try it. This game has plenty problems, the las thing they need is pegi changing the ratings from pegi16+ to M. That would be a huge pain in the arse.
Think about it. New CD covers, informing all the sites and stores out there about the rating change, Pull all the old CDs with the old rating off the market and of course the huge potential for lawsiuts.
Nobody in his right mind wants to go trough all that mess and i hope they don't even think about touching that.

Sven
09-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Well I suppose it could be an optional feature, which I would like.

But then the question raises, is it really worth doing it? For that one occasional time you can get alongside your enemy and observe him? In 99% of my cases I pull off my target as soon as I notice he cannot fly any longer, to get to safety.

For the time they put into gore they could also make some other 3D models like planes :)

GOA_Potenz
09-05-2011, 04:47 PM
War = horrible deads

this is a combat flight simulation right??? so what's the problem with blood
come on please let that false moral for any other discussion.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-05-2011, 05:07 PM
My opinion on this subject is that it's not needed and I don't think it has even crossed MG mind (hopefully), blood on the cockpits is as far as I would want this to go.
Agreed 100%, I would not want to see 1C spend any time and money on doing it.. over other things.. But at the same time if they did do it, I would be more than willing to turn on all the gore!

Put another way I could take it or leave it but I would not kick it out of bed for eating crackers ;)

tk471138
09-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Those that voted yes please could you explain why you want to see limbs blown off!

if it happened in ww2 (bloddied cockpits or gun positions is mostly is what im looking for) if limbs were blown off i dont even know if the pilots would even notice it as they would fall to the bottom of the cockpit or something...

patrat1
09-05-2011, 06:07 PM
i want AL GORE to stay the hell out of my game.

ATAG_Snapper
09-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Biggest problem is that its irrelevant for aerial combat. Resources are much better used elsewhere, unless you have already found the the game works perfectly for you. Instead of sounds, you prefer to have blood for if/when you get a pilot kill? Instead of no stuttering over cities, you'd prefer limbs in the cockpit? Please devs, never mind the SDK or fixes to tracks, lets get cannon holes in a body? Please, lets focus on aerial combat first, then add fluff later.

+1

Priorities first. Also, as has been mentioned in this thread, contact with enemy bombers & fighters was usually brief and a fighter pilot didn't make a habit of hanging about and looking into cockpits. Yes, we've all read accounts to the contrary and they stick in the mind because of the sensationalistic aspect, but these were exceptional occurrences and not the rule. I never served combat when in the RCA (artillery) back in 1969, but like many here have been first on scene at a road accident which, for me at least, was gut-wrenching and sickening. (Hats off to all police/fire/paras who do a job I could not). Admittedly escapist, but I just prefer the challenge of machine vs machine in a PC flight sim - don't need the blood 'n guts, personally.

If others want that for immersion, it's of no concern to me. I'd prefer it as a clickable option, though. As cheesehawk indicates, there's more pressing issues to resolve.

retrojet
09-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Yes... Clickable option... And see what a hit the performance takes...
I would love a super-duper top of the line system to handle everything... But that's not an option for me! ...Until I win the lottery, that is! :-D

Another overlay is bad enough, but please don't go asking for spurting and sploshing etc. That's 'overkill' for sure!

philip.ed
09-05-2011, 06:44 PM
I voted yes. Not from a sadist perspective, or from a genuine wish to see 'blood and guts', but rather because of the fact that I feel it is easy to get complacent with the game. By this I mean that it is easy to go after a plane and try and aim for the pilots, or to relish from the fact that a quick hit to the cockpit can result in almost immediate victory. Seeing blood (I can't imagine that you would see a limb sever when dogfighting) could be shocking, but may also hit home the truth that you are ultimiately aiming to kill the opposition.
I don't think it is necessary, but I would play with it on, because to me the game is a simulation, and whilst dogfighting is fun, I think players have to appreciate that there is nothing glorious about war. I always find that hollywood films with gore (as over the top or unrealistic as it may be) hit home the true effects of war a lot better than films where the actors die in a comic fashion.

Just my 2p. I fully respect Trooper's view, and lift my hat off to him for his service to our country.

GOA_Potenz
09-06-2011, 12:05 AM
I voted yes. Not from a sadist perspective, or from a genuine wish to see 'blood and guts', but rather because of the fact that I feel it is easy to get complacent with the game. By this I mean that it is easy to go after a plane and try and aim for the pilots, or to relish from the fact that a quick hit to the cockpit can result in almost immediate victory. Seeing blood (I can't imagine that you would see a limb sever when dogfighting) could be shocking, but may also hit home the truth that you are ultimiately aiming to kill the opposition.
I don't think it is necessary, but I would play with it on, because to me the game is a simulation, and whilst dogfighting is fun, I think players have to appreciate that there is nothing glorious about war. I always find that hollywood films with gore (as over the top or unrealistic as it may be) hit home the true effects of war a lot better than films where the actors die in a comic fashion.

Just my 2p. I fully respect Trooper's view, and lift my hat off to him for his service to our country.

+1

Bryan21cag
09-06-2011, 01:43 AM
hmm well gore has its place in any war simulation game really. I guess it just depends on what type of simulation game you want. I for one have not noticed it missing while playing IL246 but I would put my self into the category of someone that would be pleasantly surprised to find a blood spattered cockpit and a slow red out as I bleed out, after one of the up coming patches. This has been something I find very fun playing ROF. when i see those red boarders around the screen the race is on to get out of combat and down to the ground on my side of the line before i loose consciousness. :)

I voted for gore by the way but I am assuming by wanting gore no one is thinking that means Exploding body parts and people being sawed in half by gunfire or ripped apart by G forces while trying to bail out of a plane flying to fast and spinning wildly. I know that this was a reality of the time, and I would not complain at all if it was put into the game but that is not really what I would be asking for when I vote on the subject Just a basic bloody mess and either I am dead rite away or have time to try and get out of the fight before bleeding out.

My 67 cents worth.

Cheers

capt vertigo
09-06-2011, 04:30 AM
The desire for gore or no gore is simply a matter of taste..
In my opinion the presence of limbs blown off is in very bad taste..!

Look fellas, the thing I love most about flying online against my brothers in arms is the spirit of the contest. Matching my skills as an aviator (albeit virtual) against your skills.
I gain plenty of satisfaction when I occasionally do everything just right, and send my competitor to the ground in a trail of smoke.

I really don't need to see you decapitated...

Think about it, :|

Peace

Mike

Iku_es
09-06-2011, 06:28 AM
No gore for me thanks, I have seen enough gore in my period as a voluntary in the emergency services, and the fact is that it's not pretty. Plus it's a complete waste of resources for the developers and for our pc's.

If you find yourself closing to the enemy that you have been fighting, in order to enjoy the blood in their cockpit ... you're doing something wrong, seriously. Another enemy will jump into you claiming vendetta while you are just enjoying the carnage.

If we are talking about enhanced effects when you are injured, maybe ROF style ... loss of periferal vision, sound fading, etc ... I would vote yes.

klem
09-06-2011, 07:01 AM
I haven't voted because as Krupi says it doesn't really get his point across.

Gore? Yes a bit of blood on the canopy is ok but don't waste dev time on any more. And the PEGI rating is a good point.

Disability due to wounding? Yes a great idea. Perhaps a limiting or loss of some control (left leg wound = limited or no left rudder) and maybe slower or no ability to bail out. But don't make it too complicated, there are more important things to fix. BUT fix the fact that you can't get out when you ditch!

whatnot
09-06-2011, 07:15 AM
I agree on the prioritization of this, it's pretty darn far down in the list. I voted for gore, but I think the poll is faulty as it has too little categories.

I don't want separated limbs, missing heads and guts but a clear indication that a pilot was hit and depending on the angle of the hit that might be some blood splatter in the instruments / windows. It would be an immersion thing to get a quick glance of it when for example your wing mate gets bounced out of the blue.

Koala63
09-06-2011, 07:35 AM
IIRC, in the original IL2, gore switched on in the config.ini file did mostly nothing to most planes, but a successful head to head pass on an He111 could result in splattered red 'blood' on the cockpit glass, barely, but still visible as it flashed passed at the merge.

I think this was an original IL2 feature that was edited out due to classification considerations years ago. The He111 gore was a relic. But it was pretty cool.

It would be good to see similar low-key visual indications of crew injury in damaged planes introduced into CoD. Completely denying any stylised visual representation of injury in a combat sim does seem slightly silly.

On the the other hand, I've also gotta say that wanting to see separated limbs in a flight sim is pretty weird and I'm glad that nobody here is seriously suggesting that.

JG52Krupi
09-06-2011, 07:45 AM
That's the problem some are, unfortunately through the lack ability of the forum members and my foolishness in not realising this means that this poll is a load of balls as it doesn't separate the ones that want blood and those that want decpaitation!!

David198502
09-06-2011, 08:22 AM
I haven't voted because as Krupi says it doesn't really get his point across.

Gore? Yes a bit of blood on the canopy is ok but don't waste dev time on any more. And the PEGI rating is a good point.

Disability due to wounding? Yes a great idea. Perhaps a limiting or loss of some control (left leg wound = limited or no left rudder) and maybe slower or no ability to bail out. But don't make it too complicated, there are more important things to fix. BUT fix the fact that you can't get out when you ditch!

im not 100% sure, but i assume that it is already the way you describe in some aspects.
i had a couple of incidents, where i got wounded, and suddenly couldnt move the throttle anymore.

but that could be aircraft related as well.i dont know.

Phazon
09-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I get the feeling that this has been brought up in the past with one of the interviews with Oleg. Will have to have a google and see.

FFCW_Urizen
09-06-2011, 08:20 PM
i don´t mind blood on the canopy, but severed limbs, no thx. but since gore (at least for me) means severed limbs, i voted no.

raaaid
09-07-2011, 04:58 AM
hell im still trying to recover from my nightmares wherwe i blow up into a bloddy mess a back gunner

gues where i got it from :(

edit:

not to mention that the gore scences would be one frame out of 25 most times so would it be legal?