PDA

View Full Version : this weeks developments

tk471138
09-03-2011, 01:54 AM
This week we have recieved two updates from the devs, one of which was an update to tell us the expected patch will not be ready, and they quickly explained the problem (although screen shots of the mutant grass would have been entertaining). I hope that you guys have realized that any communication, even when giving bad news, is much better for everyone than keeping the community in the dark, as has been the precedent in the past.

Now going through some of the comments on the delayed patch message today, the vast majority of them are positive and also thanking the devs for just keeping us in the loop. Now in the past this day would have come and no patch or news would have been posted. Along with this would have been plenty of posts about how they should be communicating, and how they have abandoned us and so on....i hope that this weeks plentiful communication is going to be the new norm. We dont even need screen shots or videos although welcome, we just want to be in the loop, kept informed as to the progress of a game that many here will probably be playing for at least a decade (expansions and all)

Chivas
09-03-2011, 03:06 AM
Personally I don't need to be told every week they are working on the sim, as not much can get done in a week. Every few weeks would work quite well, as they could get something accomplished in that time frame worth talking about, but I know most don't have the patience for that. Although I search the forums every day for new info ;), but still don't feel slighted if there isn't any.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 03:32 AM
Personally I don't need to be told every week they are working on the sim, as not much can get done in a week.+1

During dev of a game, a first-of-the month update would be nice..

Once a game is released.. updates as neat things happen.

But since CoD is in some form of release-beta-thing I think monthly updates would be the way to go

Jaws2002
09-03-2011, 04:10 AM
I'm not that hungry for updates, but I hate the lack of transparency. There are questions asked a million times and never answered. Like a simple explanation why the hell antialiasing or SLI is not working.
Tell us. "Hey idiots, AA is not working for this or that reason". We didn't fix it this update. I hate to spend my playing time, after every patch, or every Nvidia drivers to test if they fixed it or not.

senseispcc
09-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Now that they've given us 2 updates, they can go 3-6 months before the next one....

Very optimistic and constructive.:confused:

Rattlehead
09-03-2011, 07:07 AM
I wouldn't neccessarily regard the recent updates as an indication that things will change on the communication front.

I think going forward, we really should just put our trust in the team to complete the game and not worry so much about when this feature or that feature will be fixed. Things are clearly headed in the right direction.

The upcoming patch looks very promising, and my faith that this sim will be absolutely amazing, given time, has never been stronger.

SG1_Lud
09-03-2011, 09:19 AM
Personally I don't need to be told every week they are working on the sim, as not much can get done in a week. Every few weeks would work quite well, as they could get something accomplished in that time frame worth talking about, but I know most don't have the patience for that. Although I search the forums every day for new info ;), but still don't feel slighted if there isn't any.

+1

Dano
09-03-2011, 10:31 AM

+1

Tree_UK
09-03-2011, 11:03 AM
I'm not that hungry for updates, but I hate the lack of transparency. There are questions asked a million times and never answered. Like a simple explanation why the hell antialiasing or SLI is not working.
Tell us. "Hey idiots, AA is not working for this or that reason". We didn't fix it this update. I hate to spend my playing time, after every patch, or every Nvidia drivers to test if they fixed it or not.

I agree, the questions about SLI and FSAA have been neatly side stepped now for many many months, the brutal honesty is that Nvidia will never be able to make a profile for SLI until FSAA is working, and unfortunately Luthier as never recognised or ever mentioned FSAA.

Redroach
09-03-2011, 01:30 PM
I dont want to break the good mood here, but I, for one, will only chime in when I:
a) got the patch
b) have found it's actually working
c) have seen that it fixes most of the major bugs, most importantly, the orders menues.

Too many awkward and downright ridiculous things happened in the past for me to be overly optimistic.

Pudfark
09-03-2011, 05:55 PM
I dont want to break the good mood here, but I, for one, will only chime in when I:
a) got the patch
c) have seen that it fixes most of the major bugs, most importantly, the orders menues.

Too many awkward and downright ridiculous things happened in the past for me to be overly optimistic.

Agreed.
Luthiers communication has improved slightly and I take that as a positive.
This coming patch? I hope it will be taken as a positive as well.
Beyond that?
Nobody knows for certain...

Chivas
09-03-2011, 08:38 PM
I suppose Luthier could speculate weekly what they hope to have done, but he gets crucified when people take his hopes as a promise. Its much better for him to speculate every few weeks when he has a better idea whats going to make the next update.

r0bc
09-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I agree, the questions about SLI and FSAA have been neatly side stepped now for many many months, the brutal honesty is that Nvidia will never be able to make a profile for SLI until FSAA is working, and unfortunately Luthier as never recognised or ever mentioned FSAA.

This is a big issue for me to.
Tree is FSAA really the problem for sure? I knew it was something but wasn't sure what.
I know Nvidia have been great about having SLI profiles available at launch or shortly after for the last few years, no other game has taken this long.

Blackdog_kt
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
I suppose Luthier could speculate weekly what they hope to have done, but he gets crucified when people take his hopes as a promise. Its much better for him to speculate every few weeks when he has a better idea whats going to make the next update.

I would agree with this. It's not a big deal for them to tell us what's going on once per week. What is a big deal is the backlash when things don't go as planned.

I think that's why they only come forward when there's something to show and to be honest, it's reasonable. A lot of the disappointment was not due to the product being downright bad, it was because of raised expectations that weren't met. In that sense, going back to the old way of Oleg Maddox (back in early IL2 times his motto was "don't show anything that's not 100% sure to make the list of features) will help manage expectations.

What we got this week is exactly that and i wouldn't confuse the frequency of this week's updates for a sign of regularity. They just had the sounds close to completion so they showed it to us and told us about a few more features in the previous update, then the date slipped but they had more finalized features to show (the terrain colours and new coastlines) so they released a few screenshots of that too.

I don't mind this, because i can't really expect to see stuff that isn't ready yet. Updates just for the sake of updates are useless, but when they have something complete to show then by all means an update is welcome.

furbs
09-04-2011, 10:24 AM
I think a monthly progress report would be fine when the SIM is mostly in a working state(maybe after this patch?)

furbs
09-04-2011, 10:29 AM
But...it would help loads if Luthier would stay around for a bit and answer some of the more pressing questions like Oleg used to do.

For example FSAA(my pet problem) there has been question after question about this, thread after thread but Luthier still refuses to acknowledge or answer anything to do with it, and that just winds people up.

Redroach
09-05-2011, 11:28 PM
a) got the patch

hm... seems I didn't even get beyond a) ;)

tk471138
09-06-2011, 12:06 AM
hm... seems I didn't even get beyond a) ;)

when no patch is out it makes me hate my self even more....more patch less self hate please...