PDA

View Full Version : SIM HQ Review of CLOD

furbs
09-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Here... http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_500a.html
Pretty much spot on.

Bloblast
09-03-2011, 01:30 AM
I can agree with this. The colours, AI and campaign are also the main issues for me.

icarus
09-03-2011, 02:28 AM
Fair and accurate review.

NedLynch
09-03-2011, 02:44 AM
I agree with the review all in all, it is honest and fair.

I disagree though with "a dynamic campaign is not a must", yes it is, if you have a decent dynamic campaign you don't really need any cheesy and halfa..ed scripted campaigns.

Also he seemed to have issues with the Hurricane as a stable gun platform, which I do think it is and with the 109's performance ( acceleration and turn/roll rate ), well you do need to fly the plane in a certain way, regard turn and roll rate according to the speed you are at ( there is a corner speed, even included in the meagre manual ) and use prop pitch and elevator trim to get your desired acceleration.

But as I said a very decent and fair review that takes into regard the potential of the sim and future development of it.

Chivas
09-03-2011, 02:55 AM
Its a fair review. If the developers are able to weather this storm and stay in business, the new IL-2 series has the potential to be far greater than the original series ever was.

TUSA/TX-Gunslinger
09-03-2011, 03:24 AM
Very very Fair. +1 to Tom Cofield. Note his system was a Core 2 Duo - ATI 5770.

+1 to SIMHQ for this. I have some small differences of opinion with respect to terrain, Flight model and Damage Modeling compared to RoF - but not enough to comment on.

It's very refreshing to see some sanity in the combat flight simulation universe.

S!

Gunny

Tree_UK
09-03-2011, 07:33 AM
I agree with the review. apart from the Spitfire bit, He cannot of been flying a Spit1 or 1a, The Hurricane Rotol is a lot faster due to the prop pitch not working on the spit.

r0bc
09-03-2011, 07:45 AM
He should have turned more options off, that's a pretty weak system.

Yeah
But its a good review, well done.

T}{OR
09-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Agreed. A very nicely done review.

TheSwede
09-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I like the review as well.

But one thing I noticed was his explanation of the difference between 109 E3 and the E4. According to Tom the E3 got the MG-FF (correct) and the E4 came with the MG 151/20. Wtf?

esmiol
09-03-2011, 10:15 AM
yes i thought that the E4 was armed of MG-FF/M

the MG 151/20 was on the F4 no?

there were MG 151/20 on E4? i knowit was develloped in 1940 but i didnn't know E4 was equiped with.

MG 151/20 is not 20mm canon but 15mm

JG52Krupi
09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
MG 151/20 is not 20mm canon but 15mm

Woot I thought MG 151/15 is 15mm and MG 151/20 was 20mm.

Ze-Jamz
09-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I agree with the review. apart from the Spitfire bit, He cannot of been flying a Spit1 or 1a, The Hurricane Rotol is a lot faster due to the prop pitch not working on the spit.

Its not working? I thought it was Boost issues not working correctly on the Spit 1 n 1a?

Tree_UK
09-03-2011, 10:59 AM
Its not working? I thought it was Boost issues not working correctly on the Spit 1 n 1a?

Well for me its not, unless Im doing something wrong, but when i set the prop pitch on the Spit1 or 1a the only settings I have is either '0' or '100', whereas the Hurricane you can set the Prop pitch to whatever you require, I was flying the other night online and I left the spits for dead in the Hurri.

Ze-Jamz
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
Well for me its not, unless Im doing something wrong, but when i set the prop pitch on the Spit1 or 1a the only settings I have is either '0' or '100', whereas the Hurricane you can set the Prop pitch to whatever you require, I was flying the other night online and I left the spits for dead in the Hurri.

Yep the hurri is loads faster and can climb better too....

I thought this PP issue was put down to the Mk's and the 1 n 1a only have the 2 stage prop..could be wrong though

Tree_UK
09-03-2011, 11:13 AM

I thought this PP issue was put down to the Mk's and the 1 n 1a only have the 2 stage prop..could be wrong though

Well it could be the case, but surely the Hurricane shouldn't be faster than the Spitty, I imagine that the reviewer was flying a Mk11 spitty which flys on rails and completely outclasses the 109 E3, thats why online servers dont use it.

Ze-Jamz
09-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Well it could be the case, but surely the Hurricane shouldn't be faster than the Spitty, I imagine that the reviewer was flying a Mk11 spitty which flys on rails and completely outclasses the 109 E3, thats why online servers dont use it.

I think its a boost issue with the Spit too?...........

Lol... 25lb Spit anyone.. ;-)

Oh the days and days of arguments about that AC

Baron
09-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Only thing i have/had a problem was this statement, mainly because its just not true:

"My PC isn’t the top-of-the-line box anymore, but it is no slouch either. It can run almost anything on pretty much full settings, but it chokes on CoD."

System used:

Intel Core 2 Duo 8500 processor
ATI Radeon HD 5770 graphics processor
Asus Maximus motherboard
4 GB DDR2 RAM
WD 300GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium

I can name a fair amount of games that would eat that setup for breakfast on medium settings even.

Same goes for the statement that no other game have anti epilepsy filter (true that he said: as far as he knows)

Nitpicking i know, but if you are not 100% sure, dont write it in a official review on a majot flight sim site.

Other than that, it seemed a fair assessment except for his take on the colours, witch is a very personal preference so its no wonder some people will disagree.

Stefem
09-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Why publish a review few days before a "massive" update?

Pudfark
09-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Here... http://www.simhq.com/_air13/air_500a.html
Pretty much spot on.

I agree.
Fair and Balanced.
The "opinion" piece was spot on as well.

Thanx Furbs....:)

r0bc
09-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Same goes for the statement that no other game have anti epilepsy filter (true that he said: as far as he knows)

Its the only game I own with a epilepsy filter and I have well over 200 games on Steam and a closet full of retail boxes so I can give him a pass on that.

Why publish a review few days before a "massive" update?

Its been released for at least 6 months and the patch is only going to be beta.....to be fair they said they'll do a followup after its released

Bryan21cag
09-03-2011, 10:00 PM
This review almost perfectly reflected my exact experience with the game good and the not good. its almost like he was stealing my thoughts...... hmmm new world order any one????

Cheers :)

Blackdog_kt
09-04-2011, 09:26 AM
I might disagree on a couple of points that are mostly a matter of personal preference, but otherwise it's a fair and balanced review.

That's correct. This is not a bug per se, it's due to the aircraft configuration: Spit Mk.I and Ia is modeled the way it was in battle of France and not to BoB standard. Copying the same flyable model to a new slot with a new name and giving it the constant speed prop would upgrade it to BoB standard without losing our early variants that are useful for BoF scenarios.

Due to the props fitted then, comparing the Rotol Hurri to the Mk.I Spits is not very fair. Comparing the DH Hurricane that also has a two-speed prop to the Mk.I Spits would probably give a very different picture as to which is faster ;-)

Tree_UK
09-04-2011, 09:42 AM
I might disagree on a couple of points that are mostly a matter of personal preference, but otherwise it's a fair and balanced review.

That's correct. This is not a bug per se, it's due to the aircraft configuration: Spit Mk.I and Ia is modeled the way it was in battle of France and not to BoB standard. Copying the same flyable model to a new slot with a new name and giving it the constant speed prop would upgrade it to BoB standard without losing our early variants that are useful for BoF scenarios.

Due to the props fitted then, comparing the Rotol Hurri to the Mk.I Spits is not very fair. Comparing the DH Hurricane that also has a two-speed prop to the Mk.I Spits would probably give a very different picture as to which is faster ;-)

Im not getting my head around this, In the Mk1 and Mk1a spit (currently in CLOD) the prop pitch setting is either '0' or '100', whereas in the hurricane rotol you can fine tune the prop pitch, is it the case that the spitty isn't bugged and is historically correct? In truth I normally fly blue but sometimes numbers dictate that I should fly red, so i am certainly no expert on the Spit, but it does seem very underpowered to me, i could be doing something wrong but there is very little to mess about with other than the radiator as the PP does nothing!! I can keep up with a 109 in a Hurri, but not a hope in hell in the spit. Any advice will be welcomed.

JG53Frankyboy
09-04-2011, 10:57 AM
i personaly dont give a cent on any of the actual FMs in case of beeing "historical".
I see them as placeholders. If they will stay, i just have to get used to them - some kind of WorldOfTanks where historical performance comparisons also do not count.

Ze-Jamz
09-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Im not getting my head around this, In the Mk1 and Mk1a spit (currently in CLOD) the prop pitch setting is either '0' or '100', whereas in the hurricane rotol you can fine tune the prop pitch, is it the case that the spitty isn't bugged and is historically correct? In truth I normally fly blue but sometimes numbers dictate that I should fly red, so i am certainly no expert on the Spit, but it does seem very underpowered to me, i could be doing something wrong but there is very little to mess about with other than the radiator as the PP does nothing!! I can keep up with a 109 in a Hurri, but not a hope in hell in the spit. Any advice will be welcomed.

Mate they're are lots and lots of posts regarding that matter, the Spit1/1a PP is either in correct or the boost/power output is wrong because as you say the hurri faster then the spit which in RL wasnt the case.

The 109 has had it's top speed cut too given what info some member have produced.

Blackdog_kt
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM

The short version is that it's not a bug, we just have early model Spits in the sim. The early Spits had a propeller with only two positions and no ability to precisely fine tune the blade angle. In essence, it's like flying with a fixed pitch prop but you get two available pitch settings instead of one.

What this means is that you can't precisely fine tune it like you can do in the 109 (where you directly influence pitch over its entire range of motion) or the Rotol Hurri (where you influence the governor and it keeps the RPM where you want within its limits of motion): you get only two available angles to set the prop to and any single given pitch angle is very limited in terms of how much of your available speed range it is efficient at.

If i was to describe it in a single sentence, i'd say we have correct modeling of the wrong variants.

These Spits flew like that during the battle of France (and Hurricanes too) so i'm not in favor of them getting changed altogether to constant speed prop models, since we have a map that can do BoF as well. What needs to be done is just alter the Ia to a constant speed prop model since it already has the CSP spinner modeled in terms of graphics. Then we could use the Spit Mk.I and the Hurri with the DH prop with their two-pitch props for BoF, while still having the Mk.Ia and Mk.II Spits along with the Rotol prop Hurricane for BoB scenarios.

Tree_UK
09-05-2011, 06:13 AM
The short version is that it's not a bug, we just have early model Spits in the sim. The early Spits had a propeller with only two positions and no ability to precisely fine tune the blade angle. In essence, it's like flying with a fixed pitch prop but you get two available pitch settings instead of one.

What this means is that you can't precisely fine tune it like you can do in the 109 (where you directly influence pitch over its entire range of motion) or the Rotol Hurri (where you influence the governor and it keeps the RPM where you want within its limits of motion): you get only two available angles to set the prop to and any single given pitch angle is very limited in terms of how much of your available speed range it is efficient at.

If i was to describe it in a single sentence, i'd say we have correct modeling of the wrong variants.

These Spits flew like that during the battle of France (and Hurricanes too) so i'm not in favor of them getting changed altogether to constant speed prop models, since we have a map that can do BoF as well. What needs to be done is just alter the Ia to a constant speed prop model since it already has the CSP spinner modeled in terms of graphics. Then we could use the Spit Mk.I and the Hurri with the DH prop with their two-pitch props for BoF, while still having the Mk.Ia and Mk.II Spits along with the Rotol prop Hurricane for BoB scenarios.

Right, thanks for that Blackdog, I think Im still doing something wrong in the spitty Im struggling to get over 250mph, where as the first Spits would do 350-364 mph! according to various websites. Is anybody here getting these speeds in level flight? Im sure some guys have figured it out because I got chased home in my 109 the other night, after rolling and shallow diving away I was at about 500kmph I kept looking over my shoulder and although the spitty wasn't gaining on me I certainly wasn't leaving him in the distance. Could it be that the spit is modled right and just needs the top speed tweaking?

NedLynch
09-05-2011, 06:40 AM
Just had a quick look on Wikipedia, I know, I know, it's not the all knowing source of info some people think it is, but the speed was confirmed, just looked at the Mk I model, however it said that speed was at 18.500 feet altitude.
Has to be coarse prop pitch, obviously, and I am sure with WEP enabled as well.
And no, I am certainly not getting that speed in level flight at 6000 feet, in a shallow dive/ trim slightly nose down flying straight just loosing altitude slightly pretty good speeds can be achieved, however impractical in combat, since your turn rate and roll rate are horrible at speeds too high or too low for that matter.

TheSwede
09-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Woot I thought MG 151/15 is 15mm and MG 151/20 was 20mm.

You are correct. It is basically the same gun but with a different bore.

The MG151/15 was used in the earlier version of the 109F, the 151/20 was installed from F-4 and forwards.

The 109 E4 never had the MG151, as we have discussed in all kinds of threads, the difference between E3 and the E4 was the MG FF/M ammunition.

Trooper117
09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
A very fair review I thought.. more or less 'nail on the head'..