PDA

View Full Version : Friday September 2, 2011 Patch Info (Sorry, Not Today)

Pages : [1] 2

luthier
09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
We were *this close*, but a last-minute bug found with the new online map (the largest of three) means we have to recompile and rebuild everything – and that means it’s not going to finish today. The bug, for the curios, entailed giant 1500-foot grass suddenly growing all around you at altitudes below 500 feet. Quite a sight to see actually. Almost sad we found it first.

So, barring more botanic discoveries, we’ll have it out no earlier than the end of the day Monday.

Some patch info. The size is 490 MB, 300 of that being the new sounds. The speech sounds are now out in the open by the way, so you can play with them old Il-2 style.

The colors are greatly improved. See attached screenshots.
The new plane-seat selection co-op interface is there, as well as a few more surprises (not the big one though).

Sorry folks, we really tried!

NSU
09-02-2011, 02:44 PM
Thx Ilya for the info :(

Strike
09-02-2011, 02:45 PM
Excellent! Thanks a bunch for the heads up mate!

Love the new colours and the shoreline/terrain now looks absolutely stunning! It's a great improvement over the previous version!

The only thing I miss it seems is a little more ambient light reflection from the aircraft skin. (In a typical daylight noon scenario you'd see a blue'ish reflection when looking at the aircraft parts at a very very shallow angle! That really looked the part and disappeared like 2 patches ago!)

Almost sad we found it first.

So, barring more botanic discoveries, we’ll have it out no earlier than the end of the day Monday.

Haha i love your humor mate!

Good luck and best wishes!

tk471138
no big deal at least we arent left in the dark as to what is going on....thanks for the update.

Figura
OOPs! :-( Thanks for keeping us informed.;)

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Dont worry Luthier, I cushined the blow with my post this morning... :)

thanks for the update though

mvsarturi
It's ok, and it's very nice to have this explanation. Thanks and good luck to your team Luthier!

pupo162
can you confirm E4 pleaaaaase?

will the aptch add some performance update??

cheer luthier

Gamekeeper
Thanks for the update Luthier, now I know this weekend is mine

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 02:49 PM
excellent update and thanks for not releasing more bugs even though half the community would have you do that !.

Shado
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Arrrgghh my hankies..................., thanks for letting us know Luthier.

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 02:52 PM
ohh and ! love those pictures, really like the atmoshperics attention. Wonderfull stuff !.

Rextar
09-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Must be on double time then this weekend working!!
Crush that bug!!!!!

Mags
Don't worry, Luthier. We can wait.

adonys
Thank you for the update!

flyingblind
09-02-2011, 02:57 PM
Proper shoreline and much better map border. Looking good.

Bonkin
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
Hey no worries. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Feel a bit for all those members who have wet themselves already or who will have to cry themselves to sleep tonight - but I'm sure they can man up a bit and wait just a bit longer. ;)

David198502
thx for the update!thats the most important thing right now,...beeing informed.
as for the grass bug,....take the former sound guy to cut it, he should have some lawnmowers in his garage!
the screenshots look really nice and way better than what we have now.if its faster too, then thats a big step forward.
hope you guys are successfull with cutting the weed.

AndyJWest
1500 ft grass! LOL! You could have at least given us a screenshot though... :-P

Bobb4
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Great news. Any hint on the big thing?

smink1701
09-02-2011, 02:59 PM
Now see Luthier...was that so bad;)

Looking forward to it next week.

smink1701
09-02-2011, 03:02 PM
Took another look at the pics and the shoreline looks like it's been reworked...you can see more of the beach.:)

Jatta Raso
09-02-2011, 03:03 PM
thanks. dramatic improvement on colour, now it looks more like real landscape, not to mention water shores. can't wait

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Took another look at the pics and the shoreline looks like it's been reworked...you can see more of the beach.:)

Thats cuz they said they were working and changing the Shorelines m8 :)

Vengeanze
09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
That new grass sounds kewl. Too bad it didn't make the beta.

6S.Manu
09-02-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the news Ilya!

You guys really did a good job with the landscape. Now it's really photo-realistic!

furbs
09-02-2011, 03:11 PM
COOPs? that is good news indeed. :)
Roll on Monday. Thanks for the update Luthier, wasn't hard was it? ;)

adonys
09-02-2011, 03:12 PM
well, I don't really like the the new landscape: it seems way too faded out and blurry for me. while I haven't flown a ww2 plane, I've flow quite a few times, and never saw the landscape so faded and blurry..

also, again.. no word on radio comm fixing state :(

LcSummers
09-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Never mind Luthier,

thanks for informing us. Nobody should be angry now, we are fed with information.

Have a nice weekend.

PS: Terrain looks realy great:grin:

Kankkis
09-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info Luthier, looking good, but those jaggies :(

I can wait, tomorrow is my 40y birthday, so my gift goes later date :-D

T}{OR
Countdown till Monday then. :)

Thanks for the update.

conio
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWfqVWC2KI

Jabo2009
09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
no big deal at least we arent left in the dark as to what is going on....thanks for the update.

yeah as long as you keep us informed its no big deal, thx for the update !

icarus
Landscape is a big improvement. Dev comms excellent. If fps is improved also it will be a terrific patch and well on the way to fixing this sim.

The Masta

cheer luthier

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=328585&postcount=1

KG26_Alpha
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Luthier thxz

Have a great weekend.

well, I don't really like the the new landscape: it seems way too faded out and blurry for me. while I haven't flown a ww2 plane, I've flow quite a few times, and never saw the landscape so faded and blurry..

also, again.. no word on radio comm fixing state :(

Until CoD incorporates the "Landscape on a slider" feature to let everyone adjust it to what they like.

We will have to make do with this.

Why not wait till you have the update installed before lambasting the news :)

kristorf
09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the info peeps, whenever your (it's) ready will be soon enough

jamesdietz
09-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks - I'll start breathing again I guess....

gonk
09-02-2011, 03:20 PM
damn... but was a bug that makes it unplayable like it is now.

Cataplasma
Dont worry Luthier, I cushined the blow with my post this morning... :)

thanks for the update though

So Ze-Jamz you are in touch with dev...
what about the sli feature? Will be with this next patch really working?

Shagrathss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNWfqVWC2KI

thx conio for this video... i was crying for the update and now i'm smiling...

recoilfx
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
The new colors look nicer. Increased haze and less saturation on the landscape looks more natural now. I do feel like I am looking at a humid summer day now.

However, the colors do not match the weather! The second shot's color suggests an overcast day! The lighting is simply not harsh enough since there are only a few clouds in the sky.

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 03:28 PM
So Ze-Jamz you are in touch with dev...
what about the sli feature? Will be with this next patch really working?

:)

Nope sorry mate, no news as of yet

ACE-OF-ACES
09-02-2011, 03:29 PM
We were *this close*, but a last-minute bug found with the new online map (the largest of three) means we have to recompile and rebuild everything – and that means it’s not going to finish today.
Better late than never! ;)

Fjordmonkey
09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
The bug, for the curios, entailed giant 1500-foot grass suddenly growing all around you at altitudes below 500 feet. Quite a sight to see actually. Almost sad we found it first.

This made me laugh. I like your sense of humor, Ilya :D

I can just see how it would be once the pilot comes home in a truck and not in his aircraft.

Sqd. Leader: Why did you come in on that truck!? Where's your aircraft?!
Pilot: ...got taken out by grass, Sir....
Sqd. Leader: Grass?!? How many times have I told you NOT to go chasing cows? You're a fighterpilot fighting a war, not some lollygagging tourist!
Pilot: I swear, Sir! I was at 400 feet when suddenly....grass!
Sqd. Leader: Suddenly...grass? at 400 feet? Do you honestly think that I'm going to believe this? Have you been drinking?!

Good news all in all, though. Looking forward to monday! (Never thought I'd say that on a friday afternoon, though. Weird...)

Dano
09-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Looks great from where I'm sitting :)

FlushMeister
09-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Holi Cannoli!

When I thought it couldnt get any more beautiful!

Since the Il2 days, I have really missed this blue haze (atmospheric perspective) and I always wondered what Il2 would look like with it, and now we will have it in the game, I think it looks fantastic, how does it react to the color white? On white markings on planes, at dusk, white often appears very saturated blue (reflecting the saturated blue sky above without the massive bounce light from the sun)

Anyway, I think it looks beautiful and can't wait to see it live, keep up the great work but don't forget it's the weekend !! :D

tumu
09-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Thx Luthier , your short info its very apreciated.

the Dutchman
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
entailed giant 1500-foot grass suddenly growing all around you at altitudes below 500 feet
Would have been a great place to hide in,instead of the clouds!;)

ATAG_Doc
09-02-2011, 03:35 PM
Thanks!

skouras
09-02-2011, 03:38 PM
what a team
thanks Luthier
no worries for me as i play Red orchestra2 :-D

PeterPanPan
09-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Colours looking superb - massive improvement IMHO. Thanks for the update Luthier.

PPP

Strike
09-02-2011, 03:43 PM
what a team
thanks Luthier
no worries for me as i play Red orchestra2 :-D

I saw you in there the other day ;) On apartments. Was a bad round for us ruskies though :(

Steuben
09-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Red Orchestra 2 is out????? Where???

BTW Luthier hurry up to get this thing done!Because on the 7th of september the german high court is ruling over the EURO bailouts and its not looking good. If the court says the bailout is illegal .....all hell will break looose! The Euro will crash on the same day! The banks will close! The financial world will come to an end! The end of the world Luthier! So hurry! I wanna play that game with the new sounds and landscape before i die! :twisted::twisted:

adonys
09-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Until CoD incorporates the "Landscape on a slider" feature to let everyone adjust it to what they like.

I've just expressed my dislike of the new landscape's fade (and take note that i said nothing of the landscape itself, or its colors), as well others were expressing their like of it. what's wrong with that? I haven't seen you attentioning them to wait for the patch first before expressing the fact they like it..

Shado
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
@ Steuben there is a Beta out for all those that pre-ordered, it's good, just watch out for the speed hack cheats hopefully theyl get their dues.

smink1701
09-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Took another magnified look at the landscape and it really is pretty amazing. With eye candy like this I hope they will be able at some point (maybe the next patch), to fix the vibrating shadows in cockpit mode. Overall, I am very glad to see the game moving in the right direction.

jimbop
09-02-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks for posting - looking forward to it. Wish you had included a screeny of the grass!

Jugdriver
09-02-2011, 03:57 PM
No track of the grass? That would have been Hilarious! Thanks for the update Luthier!

JD
AKA_MattE

jamesdietz
09-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Maybe all that floating grass Luthier found came from this spot in France?

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d116/jamesdietz/2011-08-11_00007.jpg

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Took another magnified look at the landscape and it really is pretty amazing. With eye candy like this I hope they will be able at some point (maybe the next patch), to fix the vibrating shadows in cockpit mode. Overall, I am very glad to see the game moving in the right direction.

Agreed, lets just hope we can use all the eye candy and get some good FPS so alot more peeps can jump on board

Doc_uk
09-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Screenshots of bug or we dont belive you:rolleyes:

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 04:06 PM
I´m not happy.
So now even clear and sunny day it´s going to be a dark and foggy day?
Sorry, I don´t like the new colors and haze. Completely unrealistic to me for a clear day. That would be fine for cloudy days or for a lot higher fly, but not for sunny ones at that low level.

The new summer clear light day model make me want to stay at home near the fire with a hot tea, not at the beach. I´m starting to miss Oleg´s photographic eye. The cockpit has lost all that wonderfull and photographic light/shadow contrast... :( I guess that even the extremely amazing shadow effect flying under (or over) a cloud it´s going to be barely noticiable now.

I want the colors I have now :_( with only small corrections and stronger haze only for far distances. Snif... sob sob.

rakinroll
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Thank you Luthier.

Fliegenpilz
I´m not happy.
Sorry, I don´t like the new colors and haze. Completely unrealistic to me for a clear day. That would be fine for cloudy days or for a lot higher fly, but not for sunny ones at that low level.

The new light make me want to stay at home near the fire. I´m starting to miss Oleg´s photographic eye. The cockpit has lost all that wonderfull and photographic light/shadow contrast... :( I guess that even the extremely amazing shadow effect flying under (or over) a cloud it´s going to be barely noticiable now.

I want the colors I have now :_( with only small corrections and stronger haze only for far distances. Snif... sob sob.

+1

But lets just wait what the patch might bring... ;)

Catseye

cheer luthier

From Luthier in the previous update info:
"As stated earlier, it’ll contain . . . . . . . . . the Bf-109E-4 and E-4/B . . . . . . . "

Cheers

Doc_uk
09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Luthier thxz

Have a great weekend.

Gamer and brightness sliders would be a start :)

FlyingShark
09-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Luthier.

No drama to wait a few days.

~S~

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 04:12 PM
+1

But lets just wait what the patch might bring... ;)

I´m afraid that if we lost the bright colors now they will never return again. I don´want another foggy and extremely desaturated game. There are tons with that crap colors out there.

Plt Off JRB Meaker
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Love those transulcent shorelines Luthier,much,much better,and the colours are a big improvement too,no problem having to wait if we are to recieve these treats,thx:-D

Strike
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
I´m afraid that if we lost the bright colors now they will never return again. I don´want another foggy and extremely desaturated game. There are tons with that crap colors out there.

The fact that they have recoded the way colours are rendered may indicate not only that the colours have been DIRECTLY altered, but could suggest that they depend more on light/weather conditions like IRL. I do somehow hope they implement a form of HDR effect, since it can help making cockpit shadows dark on a bright day, and when you peek down and eyes adjust, the exterior is more blinding :) Some games over-exaggerate the time it takes for the eye to adjust to light though, I hope they could have a more realistic approach to CoD

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I´m not happy.

The new summer clear light day model make me want to stay at home near the fire with a hot tea, not at the beach. I´m starting to miss Oleg´s photographic eye. The cockpit has lost all that wonderfull and photographic light/shadow contrast... :( I guess that even the extremely amazing shadow effect flying under (or over) a cloud it´s going to be barely noticiable now.

in contrast your un-happyness im overwhelmed with happyness at what im seeing and certainly feel the joy that developers dont listen to people with warped opinions on the reality of the world around us. And very happy that the developers are prepared to characterise there work beyond reality into the realms of artistic representation due to the nature of technology and the limitations before us within this realm. you might want to forget olegs photographic eye and develop one for yourself, at the very least it may equate to happyness for you.

theOden
09-02-2011, 04:20 PM
I honestly hope that the bug is a weak made-up excuse.
If not, I have a hard time to see this will ever become a stable simulator.

If I kept my programming on this level my customers would see to have me out of business long time ago.

Oh well, back to ArmA.

adonys
09-02-2011, 04:30 PM
in contrast your un-happyness im overwhelmed with happyness at what im seeing and certainly feel the joy that developers dont listen to people with warped opinions on the reality of the world around us. And very happy that the developers are prepared to characterise there work beyond reality into the realms of artistic representation due to the nature of technology and the limitations before us within this realm. you might want to forget olegs photographic eye and develop one for yourself, at the very least it may equate to happyness for you.

Ali mate, I don't have any problem with desaturating the colours. But the landscape from the new shots is way too washed out and dark for a sunny summer day.

Also, if Ailantd is the same one who made the graphic mods for SH5 (http://shmods.ailantd.com/) (and I think he is, the nick name is in no way a common one to be just a coincidence), there's one thing you can't accuse him: not having a photographic eye.

From the beginning of 2010 I constantly flew from London to Bucharest and back at least once a month, for a year and a half. That accounts for at least 32 flights in all seasons. The landscape I was seeing through airplanes's windows were in no way looking so washed out and hazy IF outside was a sunny summer day. They weren't looking so faded and hazy not even in overcast situations! I think I still have some movies I did with my Iphone4 while nearing London in a completely overcast sky, and even if the colous were indeed darker, they were crisp, not hazy.

Yes, the coulours were too saturated before, and that needed to be fixed, but now they've got in the other extreme I'm afraid :(

Fliegenpilz
09-02-2011, 04:33 PM

I personally think most people judge the colours from where they see them - on the ground. Here, the new colours seem to fit, I agree. But from up above, on a hot summer day without any clouds, they certainly are very bright, just as it is now in CloD (again, my personal opinion!). Well, at least where I use to fly (northern Germany).

This is a topic which could be discussed for ages - and still there won't be no "right" and "wrong", so we better be done with it. Accept other opinions and stick to your own ;)

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 04:34 PM

If I kept my programming on this level my customers would see to have me out of business long time ago.

Oh well, back to ArmA.

how long did arma take to become competent software title out of interest ? i was there on day 1 of release and only enjoying it 2 years later by then it had been superceded by OA. so as a customer your still playing arma2 and as a customer you still have interest here. so theoretically we got another 1.5 years to go correct ? your interest will still be im sure. and your rationalisation is completely irational by your own admitance.

Fjordmonkey
09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Until I'm actually flying above the landscape, I'll reserve judgement. And besides, I don't spend much time watching the scenery when I'm flying. Far too busy trying to survive both the enemy and my own stupidity.

Havoc04
09-02-2011, 04:36 PM

Oh well, back to ArmA.

And you WON'T be missed... Don't let the door hit you on the way out you ungrateful peon!

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Just curious..

Do you think the new Colours will make it easier to see EA because of the shine?, Seems very hard to track atm for me.. but it is at 1920x1200 res

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 04:40 PM
m not trying to bash anyone but theres alot of people creating there very own pseudo science around these topics. presumptions made by people that dont understand and fit there own understanding in to suit there slanted opinions. ITs a game it doesnt re create reality we have to use often basic ways to implement somthing very dynamic. They are doing it correctly within this awkward software realm vs people expectiing perfection and unlimited reality within our limited game engine.

akodonnell
09-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Holy coastlines, batman!

Iku_es
09-02-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the update luthier. I'm willing to try that beta patch.

I can't believe it ... people is already complaining. "I program better" , "Colors are wrong", "I want sliders" ... Take a break guys, go outside and enjoy. Otherwise you may end with an ulcer.

Have a nice weekend.

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Until I'm actually flying above the landscape, I'll reserve judgement. And besides, I don't spend much time watching the scenery when I'm flying. Far too busy trying to survive both the enemy and my own stupidity.

also a screenshot is an instance!, we need to see the dynamic effect from dawn till dusk to understand to what levels our new effects are providing. My expereince leads me to understand it what it will be like in game. thats why i defend it so.

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Ali mate, I don't have any problem with desaturating the colours. But the landscape from the new shots is way too washed out and dark for a sunny summer day.

Also, if Ailantd is the same one who made the graphic mods for SH5 (http://shmods.ailantd.com/) (and I think he is, the nick name is in no way a common one to be just a coincidence), there's one thing you can't accuse him: not having a photographic eye.

From the beginning of 2010 I constantly flew from London to Bucharest and back at least once a month, for a year and a half. The landscape I was seeing through airplanes's windows were in no way looking so washed out and dark IF outside was a sunny summer day.

Yes, the coulours were too saturated before, and that needed to be fixed, but now they've got in the other extreme I'm afraid :(

Yes, I´m the guy. And also a graphic artist and painter myself. So I think I have a good eye. You are right, some landscape colors (not all them) needed to be desaturated a bit and distant blue haze needed to be increased but as you said now they are going to the other extreme.

So, looking at the cockpit light, wich one it´s from a cloudy day and wich one from a sunny day?

http://download.ailantd.com/files2/codCloud_1.jpg
http://download.ailantd.com/files2/codCloud_2.jpg

mvsarturi
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I´m not happy.

I agree, partly. It's good to have these new shorelines, but the atmospheric perspective is indeed a bit weird. It seems, in the second screenshot, that there's an exagerated density of air between the plane and the sea shore, and there's not enough contrast in this density from the shore to the far horizon. However, it's indeed in the clear and sunny days that this effect becomes more noticeable in the real world.
Anyways, I'd expect to see less air in front of me when looking at the beach in that screenshot.
I'm new to the comunity, didn't know Oleg Maddox was a photographer. Being so...his opinion was very relevant about this matter, as would be the opinion of other photographers, painters, designers and illustrators above any other professionals.
Given the new colors and the game interface, I think Maddox Games team could use some more designers.
Don't get me wrong, I love the game.

adonys
09-02-2011, 05:01 PM
I guess we'll all have to wait to experience it in-game first.. maybe the screenshots aren't doing justice to their new render and colors..

senseispcc
09-02-2011, 05:02 PM
Be patient, no hurry but many Hurricanes!:rolleyes:

Viper2000
09-02-2011, 05:07 PM
The bug, for the curios, entailed giant 1500-foot grass suddenly growing all around you at altitudes below 500 feet. Quite a sight to see actually. Almost sad we found it first.

Model a 1500' Triffid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triffid) to go with the grass.
When a player is kicked from a server, turn on the 1500' grass for that player, and then have a Triffid emerge from said grass and sting his aeroplane, blinding the pilot & causing the screen to go black...
The player being kicked should be completely immune to this if and only if he circles over the Isle of Wight.
???
PROFIT!

Blackdog_kt
09-02-2011, 05:09 PM
We were *this close*, but a last-minute bug found with the new online map (the largest of three) means we have to recompile and rebuild everything – and that means it’s not going to finish today. The bug, for the curios, entailed giant 1500-foot grass suddenly growing all around you at altitudes below 500 feet. Quite a sight to see actually. Almost sad we found it first.

Some patch info. The size is 490 MB, 300 of that being the new sounds. The speech sounds are now out in the open by the way, so you can play with them old Il-2 style.

The new plane-seat selection co-op interface is there, as well as a few more surprises (not the big one though).

Thanks for the information. My observations:

1) The new colours look really good, i didn't mind the old ones much but i do like the new ones too. Some of what people say in terms of light conditions and preferring the current colours and shadows seems reasonable to me, but i can't judge accurately because i don't have extended personal experience of how things look from up high, so i won't be passing any judgment.

2) Reworked water colour (1st screenshot) and transparent coastline (2nd screenshot) blend very nice with the rest of the landscape. In general, the main issue all along was not that visuals were bad (it already looked very nice to me), but how all the pieces of the puzzle fell together: some elements were sticking out more than others. Now all graphical elements seem much more in tune with each other and blend in a believable manner, very good job.

3) Very pleased with the map's new look and the reworked navigation/plotting tools, both in terms of aesthetics (border,icons) and in terms of functionality (more visible font size and colour for the nav tool that will make them really useful)

Coupled with the new aircraft/crew position selection interface it will be nice to fly some bombers in multiplayer with another player. Two people could take turns between one person flying while the other navigates and gives vectors to fly, then near or over the target one takes care of the flying while the other takes care of gunners and the bombsight.

Can't wait to see what the surprises mentioned turn out to be. Oh and the bug description is hilarious, can't help but to agree with the following quote :-P

macro
09-02-2011, 05:11 PM
thanks for the update good luck with the bugs

MAF
09-02-2011, 05:11 PM
They should worry more for the Antialiasing, than for the colors.

Yeaaa yea, very pretty colors, but with these saw teeth for all sides the realism sensation disappears.

mungee
09-02-2011, 05:17 PM
Thanks Luthier.
I think the colours are looking GREAT!!

droz
09-02-2011, 05:18 PM
Thank for the update Luthier. If you are able, could you tell us if there are any significant performance increases with this patch?

Rextar
09-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Yeaaa yea, very pretty colors, but with these saw teeth for all sides the realism sensation disappears.

Stop moaning and be grateful the team are working there ass off this weekend to make this happern........while you go the pub.

lothar29
09-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Luthier, many thanks for working so hard, I like to keep us informed...keep it up...Best regards

Jugdriver
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM
You can’t judge the colors from those Screen shots; wait until the patch comes out.

And you WON'T be missed... Don't let the door hit you on the way out you ungrateful peon!
You beat me to it Havoc.

JD
AKA_MattE

lothar29
09-02-2011, 05:23 PM

MAF, you're a little bit... I'll shut up! stop kick ass, we all have something to ask and do not, so keep quiet! If you can contribute anything of benefit shut up...SHIT!

RCAF_FB_Orville
09-02-2011, 05:24 PM
Appreciate you letting us know Ilya, see......no one bit your head off, eh? *EDIT, ok there's always one sigh* Its good to talk. :grin: Keep up the good work chaps. I'd far rather have a more polished patch, though the 'bungle in the Jungle' Day of the Triffids grass did sound amusing. A bit longer is not going to kill anyone lol.

It would be great if you can provide a *comprehensive* change list too, even if they are only very minor things; flight simmers sometimes have a habit of 'imagining' things and it is better for testing purposes, which will give you better feedback.

Cheers. ;)

satchenko
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Stop moaning and be grateful the team are working there ass off this weekend to make this happern........while you go the pub.

GRATEFUL??????
I have pay for a COMPLETE sim two months ago... not today, not the next monday...

skouras
09-02-2011, 05:39 PM
I saw you in there the other day ;) On apartments. Was a bad round for us ruskies though :(

hey strike
yeap
today i had more kills and much more fun
i was a german sniper for 15 minutes :-D

Raggz
09-02-2011, 05:40 PM
Love the new map :)

Vengeanze
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM
GRATEFUL??????
I have pay for a COMPLETE sim two months ago... not today, not the next monday...

You got what u paid for. Did u read the readme/licens text? Guess not.

baronWastelan
09-02-2011, 05:41 PM

From the beginning of 2010 I constantly flew from London to Bucharest and back at least once a month, for a year and a half. That accounts for at least 32 flights in all seasons. The landscape I was seeing through airplanes's windows were in no way looking so washed out and hazy IF outside was a sunny summer day. They weren't looking so faded and hazy not even in overcast situations! I think I still have some movies I did with my Iphone4 while nearing London in a completely overcast sky, and even if the colous were indeed darker, they were crisp, not hazy.

I imagine there would have been significantly more haze in 1940 due to all the coal burning trains, factories, ships and home heating. We're talking massive amounts of particulate matter in the air that doesn't exist in the 21st century. I am very happy to have this represented in CloD, even if it is somewhat generic and static in its application.

skouras
09-02-2011, 05:42 PM
[QUOTE=Steuben;330071]Red Orchestra 2 is out????? Where???

the beta is open now and for the normal edition :-P

satchenko
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
you got what u paid for.

hahahahaha.

335th_GRAthos
09-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Thank you for this precise and timely update! :-)

Nice weekend!

Gollum
09-02-2011, 05:45 PM
I'm mondo excited... How do you guys play with those jagged edges though? That morphological filter did wonders for my game.

CaptainDoggles
09-02-2011, 05:46 PM
Buried on the 11th page already, but I just want to say that THIS is the sort of communication that makes everybody happy.

Thank you for the update.

Norseman
09-02-2011, 05:48 PM
THX !
-and a good weekend to You all !

KG26_Alpha
09-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Screenshots of bug or we dont belive you:rolleyes:

Speak for yourself here please.
I instead of We

esmiol
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
:D

TRIK
09-02-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks for letting us know, at least we know whats happening and not been left in the dark :)

Rattlehead
09-02-2011, 05:54 PM

+1

Rextar
09-02-2011, 05:56 PM
We have ALL paid for this sim u numpty.

Tree_UK
09-02-2011, 06:00 PM
Appreciate the update Luthier, thanks for letting us know, Personally I prefer the new colours i think it looks a whole lot better and I'm looking forward to the patch.

_YoYo_
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
What with AA and AInizo? Still engine of CoD doesnt have this ?

Mysticpuma
09-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Agree about the colours, much better.

May I just add that if you notice the feedback you are getting here, it is pretty positive, but that's what you get if you stay in tough ;)

Don't be a stranger mate and well done on the update.

Cheers, MP

retrojet
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I imagine there would have been significantly more haze in 1940 due to all the coal burning trains, factories, ships and home heating. We're talking massive amounts of particulate matter in the air that doesn't exist in the 21st century. I am very happy to have this represented in CloD, even if it is somewhat generic and static in its application.

Definitely agree with that view! Growing up in he 50's/60's we had pea-soupers in London on a regular basis... Our coal-bunker was built into the flat... And they were built about 1960... I believe us brits started the ball rolling on global warming about 1750 ;-)
I do have a question regarding the chain home towers, does anyone know of any instance where the towers were actually toppled?
I thought they were nearly impervious to that because of the open design?
Not saying it shouldn't be modeled... Just wondering...
Looking forward to Monday, that's for sure!
Cheers!:-D

kestrel79
09-02-2011, 06:09 PM
I like the new colors, nice work team! I really like the new haze, I have always though RoF did a great job with that and this looks on par with that.

That dusk shot looks awesome.

I really liked the shadows of old, but really do we know the situation these screenshots were taken in? No, be patient people. Maybe they are turned on low on his PC, maybe these new shadows make the game runs smoother (which I'm all for), maybe there's a cloud right above the plane who knows?

Let's wait for this bad boy to be released.

Really looking forward to flying this thanks!

retrojet
09-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Appreciate the update Luthier, thanks for letting us know, Personally I prefer the new colours i think it looks a whole lot better and I'm looking forward to the patch.

Gasp! Wow, it getting closer to hug-a-Tree_UK Day!

Luthier, you better pull this off, or we're all going to pay, big time!
It's the amazing Tree you got to worry about, not the grass!
:-D

patrat1
09-02-2011, 06:18 PM
i wonder if they spotted a guy named jack climbing up one of those 1500 foot blades of grass.

Krt_Bong
09-02-2011, 06:24 PM
1500 foot tall grass for Bush flying, that's a feature.

ChrisDNT
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
The total :

1 : still no AA.
2 : "bananas" aircrafts.
3 : colors, still not the feeling of flying over England.
4 : waves still too big.

mazex
09-02-2011, 06:41 PM
The total :

1 : still no AA.
2 : "bananas" aircrafts.
3 : colors, still not the feeling of flying over England.
4 : waves still too big.

Amazing display of "half empty" mentality... Really, are you serious?

JokkerFX
09-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Thanks information. New environment colors looks very good.

Rextar
09-02-2011, 06:56 PM
Erm have guys installed something i dont know about?

Barso
09-02-2011, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the update.
Really looking forward to the patch.

UberDemon
09-02-2011, 07:00 PM

Cool luthier... it's been a while

Can't wait for the update and especially the SDK... I have had an itch to start programming something new and COD is giving me some inspiration.

As soon as the modding community starts developing for COD, it would be my dream that sombody finally develops the He-177... would fit perfectly in the channel map... been only waiting for 10 years or so... :grin:

caprera
09-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Thanks anyway, good to see color fix is confirmed inbound :)

Tigertooo
09-02-2011, 07:11 PM
some of my English Squadron mates wrote on our site:
"It looks like England at last! "
coming from him, that is a compliment to the Devs.
Thanks chaps
appreciated

sorak
09-02-2011, 07:37 PM
Hey no worries. Thanks for keeping us informed.

Feel a bit for all those members who have wet themselves already or who will have to cry themselves to sleep tonight - but I'm sure they can man up a bit and wait just a bit longer. ;)

Its sad that you feel bad for 'all these members'.

Kranak
Cool luthier... it's been a while

Can't wait for the update and especially the SDK... I have had an itch to start programming something new and COD is giving me some inspiration.

As soon as the modding community starts developing for COD, it would be my dream that sombody finally develops the He-177... would fit perfectly in the channel map... been only waiting for 10 years or so... :grin:

Hi UberDemon. Good to see a post from you. This is Kanno from the old IL2 days. Hope to see a UQMG for Cliffs of Dover from you soon. The first one was great.

Towarisch
THANKS luthier for your Information.But, Bugs or Mistakes are the Things where We can learn about it. So, have a NICE weekend you and your Team. And enjoy the last Summerhours, and the SUN.;):)

Best Regards from Germany

Towarisch

sorak
09-02-2011, 07:50 PM
I´m not happy.

And I want my own island that no one knows about with massive ammounts of solar power panels and gardens of HERBS that grow nonstop all year round.

sorak
09-02-2011, 07:56 PM

When he announced he was going back to play his other game, a tear rolled down my cheek after falling out of my eyes. I then thought to my self.... " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 07:57 PM
And I want my own island that no one knows about with massive ammounts of solar power panels and gardens of HERBS that grow nonstop all year round.

Yeah, that´s good too.

Stefem
09-02-2011, 08:21 PM
It would be great if you can provide a *comprehensive* change list too, even if they are only very minor things; flight simmers sometimes have a habit of 'imagining' things and it is better for testing purposes, which will give you better feedback.

Cheers. ;)

Change list are expected with patch's release not in dev update ;)

ATAG_Snapper
09-02-2011, 08:47 PM
When he announced he was going back to play his other game, a tear rolled down my cheek after falling out of my eyes. I then thought to my self.... " NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"

"Come back, Shane.........Shane, come baaaaaaackkkkk!!!!"

SiThSpAwN
09-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Thanks a ton, this is the kind of communication the community is starved for, keep up the good work! :D

Icebear
09-02-2011, 09:07 PM

Awesome news ! Hope they also fixed that gruesome flickering shadows....

ingsoc84
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Hello, everyone, well..almost everyone seems to like the new terrain colors, can someone tell me the difference between the old and beta new? Are the old colors just too "bright"? I kinda like the colors now as is, I'm just curious as to the difference. thanks

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 09:40 PM
Hello, everyone, well..almost everyone seems to like the new terrain colors, can someone tell me the difference between the old and beta new? Are the old colors just too "bright"? I kinda like the colors now as is, I'm just curious as to the difference. thanks

The new colors has been desaturated. Also the blue atmospheric haze has been increased a lot, even inside the cockpit*, so the contrast has been reduced also a lot.

*wich conceptually has no sense to me at all, but I can understand that they are filtering the whole picture trying to fix the few too much saturated landscapes we have now. I hope they (can/want) fix this in the future.

Madfish
09-02-2011, 09:48 PM
Haha - could this be released as an optional download? I'd really love to see and fly through this. :-P

Great updates by the way :cool:

Stefem
09-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Awesome news ! Hope they also fixed that gruesome flickering shadows....

Shadows doesn't flicker, devs has lowered its resolutions to increase performance and the resulting jaggies create the illusion they are flickering.
You can check from yourself by looking at object shadows from a static point of view.

Urufu_Shinjiro
09-02-2011, 09:53 PM

I know right!

recoilfx
09-02-2011, 09:59 PM
The new colors has been desaturated. Also the blue atmospheric haze has been increased a lot, even inside the cockpit*, so the contrast has been reduced also a lot.

*wich conceptually has no sense to me at all, but I can understand that they are filtering the whole picture trying to fix the few too much saturated landscapes we have now. I hope they (can/want) fix this in the future.

I whole heartedly agree with Ailantd. Anyone with worthwhile photography skill can tell you that the image is off.

Of course, it's better than before, but it could be a lot better. Just some boost in contrast and brightness and the landscape won't look like perpetual overcast when there are few clouds!

Ali Fish
09-02-2011, 10:01 PM

thats not entirely true sir. untill you open you the files and see what has happened to them. i have respect for you SH5 work. but discussing this needs a little more hands on experience here. the only reason i say this is because of how derailed this forum gets based upon one's belief. many know of your work and respect you but what you have said is not fact. yet.

check my thread http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22815, its practically the only thread on the matter that hasnt been derailed by selifsh opposition of belief. Its also my contribution to understanding not only what we dont like but why. and the truth of the matter is not apparent by simply looking at it in a screenshot. The composition is at fault yet its not actually a fault, its a design aethetic issue with many conceptual barriers.

Stefem
09-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Yes, I´m the guy. And also a graphic artist and painter myself. So I think I have a good eye. You are right, some landscape colors (not all them) needed to be desaturated a bit and distant blue haze needed to be increased but as you said now they are going to the other extreme.

So, looking at the cockpit light, wich one it´s from a cloudy day and wich one from a sunny day?

I see what you mean, low distance visibility seems too "obfuscated", it's like there's haze even in the cockpit!
I appreciate the work of the team, distant blue haze are realistic of sunny days where sunlight force oxygen molecules to combine into ozone even at low altitude.
Color tuning are not an easy task, especially for a flight sim with such an amazing level of detail that accentuate even the smallest discrepancy from reality.
We must see how the color reacts to different weather and lighting conditions.

PissyChrissy
09-02-2011, 10:59 PM
Those map tools will come in handy when trying to navigate long distances.

Ailantd
09-02-2011, 11:03 PM
thats not entirely true sir. untill you open you the files and see what has happened to them. i have respect for you SH5 work. but discussing this needs a little more hands on experience here. the only reason i say this is because of how derailed this forum gets based upon one's belief. many know of your work and respect you but what you have said is not fact. yet.

check my thread http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=22815, its practically the only thread on the matter that hasnt been derailed by selifsh opposition of belief. Its also my contribution to understanding not only what we dont like but why. and the truth of the matter is not apparent by simply looking at it in a screenshot. The composition is at fault yet its not actually a fault, its a design aethetic issue with many conceptual barriers.

Hi.

My experience in all this stuff is not only that few SH5 mods or my beliefs. I have artistic formation, I´m ilustrator and painter. I know very well how the light works, from a theoretical point of view and from artistic point of view. I´m also a 3D professional and artistic director with my own games company and I had been working with 3d engines for a lot of years now, even coding some myself. So I speak from many many years of experience in all this matters.

Of course there is a point where all is subjective, when we are talking about artistic images or filters. But as far as I know here with COD we are trying to get the more realistic picture of reality itself, not as a camera gets it (or the tracers would be waving all the time) but as the human eye get it. Oleg did this pretty well but could not finish his work, I guess. I know that even when you are trying to portrait the nature realistically there is a point where some up or down is arguable but the light they have now is not at that point, again. Nature does not look that way when you look from your window in a sunny day, not even from air at low level like that screenshots (it does at very high altitudes). And of course the cockpit can´t look that way under the sun, the same way a car under the sun do not look like that from inside (or you never would need sun glasses).

When some people here say that we can´t know how the sim with the patch will look with that few screenshots I don´t know what they are trying to say. Screenshots are not photography, wich are always altered, but exact representation from what are in the screen. Also you can say that maybe there is a cloud over the plane... I could believe that if that wash colors were in only one shot... but it is in all of them and in the video from last update. So yes, I can be wrong... but I think, based on all this stuff, I´m not.

Of course there are people that like much more this look, there is also people that like more the green haze from WOP, but that do not make it realistic.

All this critics from me are from a constructive point of view. I think, based on all my artistic experience, that the new colors are that bad as the old ones but in the other extreme. Some in the middle would be fine. I love this sim and own Il2 from the very first day. I´m from the people that are not so much worried about the future of this sim. I believe that Luthier and cia are working hard and I´m sure they will finish this sim the same way they did with first Il2. I´m only a bit concerned because they now do no have Oleg leading the artistic front, and Oleg knew very well what he was doing in this matters... I don´t know in others.

No more form now until I have that patch in my hands. But if I´m not convinced with the new colors ( as I think it will happen ) I will open a post to discuss that the same way other people opened it to ask for green hollywood filters. It´s my right if I do it for the best.

Regards.

Fansadox
09-02-2011, 11:48 PM
Thx for the info. Looking at the screenshots i presume Anti aliasing is still not working?

If not please tell me so it saves me from reinstalling :)

Mad G
09-02-2011, 11:53 PM
The colors are a real improvement, thanks. However I think the lack of Britain´s atmosphere is also due to the tree´s shape/ disposal. If I do remember the developers said it had 5 o 6 types of trees. Perhaps shoud double it adding conifers, popplars, etc. Sharpening things would be nice too, imho.

6BL Bird-Dog
09-02-2011, 11:57 PM
Thank you Luthier for the update information.

ingsoc84
09-03-2011, 12:25 AM
No developer can please everyone..that is for sure. Personally, I like the colors as they are now, I find them vibrant and appealing, some don't, personal preference. I like patches that improve performance issues, make the game more playable,etc, however, on these sort of asthetic issues, I like the SH5 approach, mods that one can implement to one's own liking, the enviromental enhancements and such. Im less incline to like patches that change these environments as a must, for example, there are several interior boot mods for SH5, steelviking, this, and that, each one offers something different, some more dark, claustrophobic, some go another route, those type of enhancements which really are a personal preference issue I think should not be "required" to play the game, if you dont want to use them, you should not have to have steam autoupdate them. I just hope the new colors dont as previously mentioned leave one feeling as if one is in a perpetual "fog", and hazy...one person commented "it still doesnt feel like your flying over england" and honestly, it never will unless you get out your plane and fly up there. For example, I really like these two shots taken on a sunny day flying in IL...I like the vibrant colors, the shadows, it just appeals to me. Is it authentic? Probably not, but then, I cant say for sure, I've never been in an ME at this height flying over the channel on a sunny day, however,, I like the look, and I hope the new colors dont turn it all into a green haze...that to me would be unappealing. I hope,dont now if this is being worked on, that other modders will develop different enviromental add ons that we can pick and choose from, to each one's own personal taste. Just my thoughts.

ingsoc84
09-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Testing to see if my new signature works..

ATAG_Doc
09-03-2011, 01:13 AM
The party was canceled because someone didn't cut the grass.

SlapStik
09-03-2011, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the information and those screen shots look great!

_RAAF_Smouch
09-03-2011, 01:47 AM
Love the screen shots Luthier!!

Our squad could lend a couple of Victa lawnmowers if you need 'em ;-)

Seriously though, sad news on the bug, but sh1t happens mate.

Looking forward to it being released when and only when its ready.

Keep up the great work.

~S~

Catseye
09-03-2011, 02:23 AM

I understand your point. Also a photographer. I can see the difference in the cockpit though - the bottom one is sunlight. I needed to look at the right hand side of the canopy shadow on the dash and how bright that area is compared to the above picture. The outside is a different issue though. While I'm holding all judgement until the patch is out, I will comment that there does not appear to be enough range of brightness/contrast in the sunny day picture outside. I would say that the bluish, ground haze would become as seen with a little more altitude unless under a cold, bright fall/spring day when no haze should appear and the colour pallet moves to the extreme in contrasts.

It will be interesting to see how this rolls out.

Cheers

ps. noticed the canopy closed. Wonder how much the glass is still affecting the image saturation. It would be beneficial to see the outside with the cockpit open.

GOZR
09-03-2011, 03:29 AM
http://youtu.be/yRSRzJATMl0?hd=1

Next patch ! ;)

wannabetheace
09-03-2011, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the sound patch.

but
what happen to trees? it looks less detailed and blurred or something :(

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=6999&d=1314974516

MegOhm
09-03-2011, 05:17 AM
lots of jaggies too...maybe its his card.......... ha

MAF
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM

I am going to go with your fiancée to a pub, after they arrange the A.A.

MAF, you're a little bit... I'll shut up! stop kick ass, we all have something to ask and do not, so keep quiet! If you can contribute anything of benefit shut up...SHIT!

And you are not in charge to me to be quiet, you are not anybody, the A.A. is the awful, it is preferable that arrange the AA and do not color them.

Ekar
09-03-2011, 08:20 AM
Thanks for the update Luthier!

Things are looking greatly improved. Good luck for a smooth patch release.

T}{OR
09-03-2011, 08:28 AM
The colors look spot on now, like in summer time. Much better than with original release.

Helrza
09-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Thanks for the update luthier :) lookin forward to the patch, the 109 sounds bloody awsome :D :D

machoo
09-03-2011, 09:10 AM
We were *this close*.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

pupo162
09-03-2011, 11:54 AM

but

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/attachment.php?attachmentid=6999&d=1314974516

im guessing he is using "low" trees.

ChiefRedCloud
09-03-2011, 01:42 PM
Sorry if my coment sounds negative but I hope the washed out colors (only going from the images actual play may change my mind) help with the overall graphics improvement, because if they don't, I don't like it.

I buy jeans that look new. Not ones that have been bleached and drug through the dirt to give them character?

Now let me say I love CloD (and will love it more when it's finished) so I am not an Anti-CloD player.

Anders_And
09-03-2011, 02:01 PM
I like the landscape in this game. Looks very realistic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adZB2p8fGx8&feature=related

I work as an airline pilot and very often fly over the UK..

kalimba
09-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Wow ! What is this game !!! I"ve never seen it before ! Now THAT is realistic and immersive...Hope Luthier sees that and gets inspired by that piece of art !
Hope other members will enlight us about this gem !

:grin::grin::grin:

Salute !

hunter1
09-03-2011, 02:24 PM
I'm tired ...........

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Wow ! What is this game !!! I"ve never seen it before ! Now THAT is realistic and immersive...Hope Luthier sees that and gets inspired by that piece of art !

Salute !
Stange.. that video looks like they filmed it threw a fish tank that needed the water changed a month ago

GS_Hunger
09-03-2011, 03:12 PM
This is Wings of Prey...if that looks realistik to you, then you should go out without your green-shades..

Ailantd
09-03-2011, 03:32 PM
this is wings of prey...if that looks realistik to you, then you should go out without your green-shades..

+100
In fact is as realistic as being playing Wop in front a screen. No more, no less.

Stefem
09-03-2011, 03:50 PM

but

Wasn't they degraded in quality some patch ago?

JG5_emil
09-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Sepia tones....Puke

Trumper
09-03-2011, 04:25 PM

Salute !

That is a wind up isn't it.? That has to be the most disgusting colour ,i can assure you the UK is not that colour,algae /snot green yikes.
If Luthier takes any notice of that colour palette then i will be very very worried.;-)

kalimba
09-03-2011, 04:27 PM

Salute !

furbs
09-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Its not a SIM, its colors are wrong, the green tint is horrible all agreed....BUT the layout of the fields and trees is much better than CLOD it looks far more organic and real.
Could the size of the CLOD map be done like that? maybe...maybe not, but i wish it could.

JG52Krupi
09-03-2011, 04:53 PM
Its not a SIM, its colors are wrong, the green tint is horrible all agreed....BUT the layout of the fields and trees is much better than CLOD it looks far more organic and real.
Could the size of the CLOD map be done like that? maybe...maybe not, but i wish it could.

Quoted for truth!

If WOP can be classified as a sim then I can call myself a pilot because I wear a leather flight helmet and run around with my arms outstretched making engine noises... ;-)

Anders_And
09-03-2011, 05:05 PM
noone said anything about the gameplay!! We are talking about the landscape! Most sims we play lack the blue shade the atmosphere provides... If u want Il2 1946 to look real for example you need to increase the blue spectrum in the graphics section of the video card...

louisv
09-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Did anybody ever try to measure the actual speed of the aircraft by measuring the map of England, between two known points in WoP, and timing.

It always surprised me how fast one can go from London to Dover in that follow the little dot on the map game with fly in a green fuzzy fish bowl dogfight.

JokkerFX
09-03-2011, 06:56 PM
WoP is nice graphics engine technology demo, but that's all (Eternity Project). It is not easy to develop as realistic a flight simulator as possible. Also sim fans are already demanding nowadays.

UberDemon
09-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Hi UberDemon. Good to see a post from you. This is Kanno from the old IL2 days. Hope to see a UQMG for Cliffs of Dover from you soon. The first one was great.

Howdy Kanno. Yes I will try to think how to come up with something totally new. UQMG is over 10 years old... I think it showed its age about a week after I first released it. I've been looking for an excuse to get off my lazy butt and perhaps learn a new language, such as C# as opposed to VB.

hiro
09-03-2011, 08:29 PM
Well a delay is better of it works and is done right.

I'm a huge fan of measure twice, cut once.

Thanks for keeping us updated

http://youtu.be/yRSRzJATMl0?hd=1

Next patch ! ;)

LOL i'm a fan of that series, but only for the flight scenes, the plot and story could have been better done in regarding the social / political / war / cloning / slave points they were trying to get across (in comparison to ghost in the shells take on cybernetics and politics, right of people etc that was well done).

ingsoc84
09-03-2011, 08:32 PM
where can one purchase that sky crawlers series? Looks like it would make for some interesting viewing

GOZR
09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
ingsoc84 you can rent it from Netflix for sure the combats footages are very well done, 3 D's are awesome. If only it could look like this ;)
Great animation !!

UberDemon
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
where can one purchase that sky crawlers series? Looks like it would make for some interesting viewing

~US$7,00 for DVD, ~US$16,00 for Blu-Ray @ Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+sky+crawlers&sprefix=the+sky+crawlers&x=0&y=0

GOZR
09-03-2011, 09:11 PM
Hiro: Very True ..
I see you like Anime's

Richie
09-04-2011, 03:51 AM

In Wings Of Prey I like the Mediterranean theater much better as far as look goes but look at the 109 and how stark it looks in the sky it almost looks like it has a huge amount of more contrast added to it sticks out in the sky like a fly in a glass of milk. The cockpits are awful compared to COD cockpits

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR0HOX-XZiI

Shagrathss
09-04-2011, 07:39 AM
GRATEFUL??????

so do i... i thank you too Luthier and i'll wait like all the others 'cause i believe Il2 series is the best sim i've ever played... but with Clod i find an unplayable sim with many bugs and it's been a long time since Clod has been released... so i thank you for your efforts but not for your efficiency...

335th_GRAthos
09-04-2011, 09:18 AM
And I thank you too, Luthier, and I am grateful that you did not "take my money and run away" but instead stood there, took the "heat" and continue developing with your team a correct sound and graphics setup so that I will be able to enjoy this flight sim in the near future.

~S~

skouras
09-04-2011, 01:04 PM
And I thank you too, Luthier, and I am grateful that you did not "take my money and run away" but instead stood there, took the "heat" and continue developing with your team a correct sound and graphics setup so that I will be able to enjoy this flight sim in the near future.

~S~

Exactly :-D

Ze-Jamz
09-04-2011, 01:08 PM

~S~

Amen to that..

I couldn't give a rats a$$ about what happened and why, who to blame and why as it's completely futile..

We've got the Sim, they're working and fixing it, I'm enjoying it and I know il still be flying this sim in years to come with what I suspect to be lovely maps, great eye candy and some amazing ww2 fighters n bombers.

S

ATAG_Snapper
09-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Amen to that..

I couldn't give a rats a$$ about what happened and why, who to blame and why as it's completely futile..

We've got the Sim, they're working and fixing it, I'm enjoying it and I know il still be flying this sim in years to come with what I suspect to be lovely maps, great eye candy and some amazing ww2 fighters n bombers.

S

+1

airmalik
09-04-2011, 02:09 PM
The new images look great but it does seem like a blue filter has been applied across the entire image regardless of distance. Perhaps a compromise to avoid a framerate hit.

I took off the blue tint on the hurricanes in this pic for comparison:

http://i52.tinypic.com/qwzmuv.jpg

furbs
09-04-2011, 02:21 PM
lets hope its not going to be that way in the final patch.

Trumper
09-04-2011, 03:05 PM
The new images look great but it does seem like a blue filter has been applied across the entire image regardless of distance. Perhaps a compromise to avoid a framerate hit.

I took off the blue tint on the hurricanes in this pic for comparison:

http://i52.tinypic.com/qwzmuv.jpg

The top one could be a shot from the film the Battle of Britain,it has that lovely colour /tone to it.
Bottom one is definitely toned down.
Whether it is because you can compare the two you notice it more.

MACADEMIC
09-04-2011, 03:27 PM
Did anybody ever try to measure the actual speed of the aircraft by measuring the map of England, between two known points in WoP, and timing.

It always surprised me how fast one can go from London to Dover in that follow the little dot on the map game with fly in a green fuzzy fish bowl dogfight.

Yes I have. Distances are accurate.

MAC

skouras
09-04-2011, 03:31 PM
i notice in the pics that maybe we have water waves now on the surface
or is just me...

chiefrr73
09-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the update!
I notice that the pilot is shown in the gauges or was it shown before? Didn t play the game since 4 month.

Welshman
09-04-2011, 06:01 PM
you may have stumbled onto something there , i just checked and all i can see in my game is the seat ;)

burlaff
09-04-2011, 06:22 PM
If I recall correctly, in one of the older updates the devs said that they'd only included the reflection in the hurricane but not the spitfire - I have no idea why - so maybe that's what you're comparing it to

Welshman
09-04-2011, 06:32 PM
argh crap just checked in a hurricane and the pilot reflection is there , never noticed that before lol .

chiefrr73
09-04-2011, 07:03 PM
Ah ok, my fault. Like i said, i didn t play the game since 4 month and only played it like two hours, performance on my rig was to bad. I will wait till i hear the game is much more better than today, will keep on playing Il2 1946 its still a lot of fun in there :-)
I hope the team will sort things out in time, i think they will.

louisv
09-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Yes I have. Distances are accurate.

MAC

England is a small country. Geographically that is...

Trumper
09-04-2011, 07:47 PM

According to Google maps centre of London to Dover by road is 76 miles .
As the crow flies and from the south of London maybe 65 miles ish and at a speed of 200-300 mph you are probably looking at 10 - 15 mins maximum.
Mind you can't beat London to Brighton on a train LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtOjGXZ5sLM

Blackdog_kt
09-05-2011, 12:23 AM
I am going to go with your fiancée to a pub, after they arrange the A.A.

And you are not in charge to me to be quiet, you are not anybody, the A.A. is the awful, it is preferable that arrange the AA and do not color them.

You're going to get a couple of days of "forum vacation" if you make one more suggestive comment about other people's fiancees, long before you get the chance to take them to a pub, if ever.

I can let a few stuff slide because everyone does it when things heat up in here and it evens out in the long run, but making suggestive remarks about family/friends of forum users that have no involvement whatsoever in this forum is way over the frickin' top.

You can disagree with another user without attacking each other, you can report the posts of another user so that we will look at them and "put them in their place" if there is a need to, you can even defend yourself if he is engaging in personal attacks against you as long as it doesn't turn into a complete slagging match, but dragging uninvolved people into the mix? Unacceptable.

Watch your manners from now on if you want to keep posting here, the only reason i'm letting you off the hook this time is that you seem like a newcomer and i like to give people some time to learn how the forum works on their own, before enforcing the rules.

julien673
09-05-2011, 01:13 AM
Any one who make a joke like that in front of the fiancé. He knew what it may occurs. Every body know that. Its like pushing a pregnant in front of the futur dad. Hope you change yourmind, for me its automatic ban + is home address

Sry for the off topic, waiting for this patch ;)

Richie
09-05-2011, 06:38 AM
I remember the girls in Pride & Prejudice boohooing away wanting to go to Brighton. The one that was the hussy especially.

No601_Swallow
09-05-2011, 06:55 AM
Mind you can't beat London to Brighton on a train LOL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtOjGXZ5sLM

Thanks Trumper! That's one of my favourite bits of archive (and I went to school in both Streatham and Croydon, so I know some of them there tracks!).

But distances are always relative, aren't they. One of the last bits of FS2004/X I did regularly (before I recovered all that disc space for shooting things down) was Shoreham to Biggin or London City in my Cessna or my lovely little Dornier, and I'd always be surprised when it took 20 or 25 minutes. I mean, where are the roadworks? The cones? The M25? Come to think of it, I never did it in my FS2004 F4. That one might have rivalled the London to Brighton.

Jotaele
09-05-2011, 02:44 PM
I love the way in wich the game is being reworked. I hope than other aspects of the game are corrected.
I like the way in wich colors are tuned but i think there are too much blue atmosphere at short distance.

SEE
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Look forward to the new colour renditioning. Well done Luthier and team!

skouras
09-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the update!
I notice that the pilot is shown in the gauges or was it shown before? Didn t play the game since 4 month.

only in the hurricane
no pilot in the spitfire--just the seat

ingsoc84
09-05-2011, 11:21 PM
Coming up on 4 am Moscow time, (tuesday) wonder how things are shaping up ;)

Capt Backasswards
09-05-2011, 11:39 PM
500 foot grass plants. Uh-huh! :-P

Ze-Jamz
09-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Triffords I tells yer!....Triffords!

ATAG_Doc
09-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I wonder if it will actually happen today. Been very quiet.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-06-2011, 12:43 AM
I wonder if it will actually happen today. Been very quiet.Not looking good.. it is allready Tue in russia.. Maybe they did finish it but the hand off to STEAM is going to take a few days?

stephan87
09-06-2011, 12:46 AM
the update???????????? when aprox...¿?¿?¿?

katdogfizzow
09-06-2011, 01:54 AM
thx for the update....colors looking great

O_Smiladon
09-06-2011, 03:59 AM
I wonder if we can still fly through tress ? :confused:

albx
09-06-2011, 05:30 AM
Not looking good.. it is allready Tue in russia.. Maybe they did finish it but the hand off to STEAM is going to take a few days?

no steam, this should have been a beta

xnomad
09-06-2011, 06:30 AM
I wonder if we can still fly through tress ? :confused:

I don't think there is a plan to address that issue yet; that would be real big news if they were doing this.

Vengeanze
09-06-2011, 07:13 AM
I don't think there is a plan to address that issue yet; that would be real big news if they were doing this.

Too complicated as of now. No idea to wait for that.
See Luthiers comment below.

Q: I can fly through trees without receiving any damage.

A: Since Cliffs of Dover has more shrubbery in it than perhaps any other flight sim developed so far - hundreds of thousands of trees around the player - enabling collision for the trees grinds the game to a complete halt, especially as they need to be tracked around every plane on the map and not just the player's. Making collisions less precise leads to equally poor results, when planes may fly through a tree but crash into seemingly empty space.
We know this is extremely important. The solution is there, but it still eludes us.

Copy/paste from Airwarefare:
http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=108:official-cliffs-of-dover-faq&catid=69:official-faq&Itemid=94

Bo_Nidle
09-06-2011, 07:16 AM
If they have successfully fixed the sound (including the guns!!!!!) from the toe curlingly awful sound we have now and fixed the cartoon coloured terrain as it appears they may have done then I will be happy to give ClOD another chance.

Now if they could also sort out the AI to stop it flying into the ground in the landing pattern, the tracers appearance and the amazingly irritating radio chatter I could become a fan.

Jabo2009
09-06-2011, 08:43 AM
ok folks, seriously: we all waited long enough...what kind of XXXX is this? "sorry not today, but Monday". (I know this was no exact quotation, but we all understood it to be comin on MON) ...

still no patch today, come on, this is not serious business... if the patch isnt coming today I quit and send COD back to the store, period

Moderator Edit: No swearing, there are minors on these boards too.

Icebear
09-06-2011, 08:54 AM
It's not that easy..... it depends on at least three factors. Just take a look at this and play around with the values.

How long is it going to take ? (http://www.cznp.com/6to8weeks/index.php)

You see ? So relax....;-)

FlushMeister
09-06-2011, 08:58 AM
he said no earlier than monday, so it could be from monday to infinity. Let me just say that creating a game like this involves a LOT of work, they're probably working their asses off right now, instead of spending time with their families, these are grown ups who sacrifice a lot of their time, it's hard to understand unless you have kids or things like that, but please be patient and post nice things instead, I sure would hate working over-time and get disappointed replies in forums, wouldn't you? oh and btw it's rare for developers to even release beta patches and update people on what's happening so that's also an extra for us.

ok folks, seriously: we all waited long enough...what kind of bullshit is this? "sorry not today, but Monday". (I know this was no exact quotation, but we all understood it to be comin on MON) ...

still no patch today, come on, this is no serious business... if the patch isnt coming today I quit and send COD back to the store, period

Ataros
09-06-2011, 09:08 AM
we all understood it to be comin on MON

No. On Friday morning I wrote that I expect the patch to be out Tuesday the earliest (you may search for my previous post) because CloD history shows the bigger the patch the more it is delayed which is absolutely natural taking into account CloD complexity.

Now since we had a Friday update and no news on Monday I would bet it is 90% delayed till Friday. This is the way complex IT projects work. Especially in Russia. It is done when it is done. Just be reasonable and realistic in your expectations if you are grown up enough to understand how things work.

And no, we will not hear any ETA from the devs because they are doing their best to finish it asap and tying to release it in 3-6 hours but ...it is not that easy as some can imagine.

TRIK
09-06-2011, 09:13 AM
6 to 8 weeks rofl

sorak
09-06-2011, 09:15 AM
ok folks, seriously: we all waited long enough...what kind of bullshit is this? "sorry not today, but Monday". (I know this was no exact quotation, but we all understood it to be comin on MON) ...

still no patch today, come on, this is no serious business... if the patch isnt coming today I quit and send COD back to the store, period

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ytCEuuW2_A

Jabo2009
09-06-2011, 09:18 AM
he said no earlier than monday, so it could be from monday to infinity. Let me just say that creating a game like this involves a LOT of work, they're probably working their asses off right now, instead of spending time with their families, these are grown ups who sacrifice a lot of their time, it's hard to understand unless you have kids or things like that, but please be patient and post nice things instead, I sure would hate working over-time and get disappointed replies in forums, wouldn't you? oh and btw it's rare for developers to even release beta patches and update people on what's happening so that's also an extra for us.

I appreciate their work, and yes I believe its a lot of work, but I disagree on the communication issue. Its obvious that many people get frustrated because they are waitin for patch release dates that turn out to be fake...

you cant treat customers like that

btw I wont go into senseless discussions here, some people will wait even till end of Sept, some will not. Enough said.

Phazon
09-06-2011, 09:20 AM
And no, we will not hear any ETA from the devs because they are doing their best to finish it asap and tying to release it in 3-6 hours but ...it is not that easy as some can imagine.

Ataros is right. It will be the most significant patch the game has seen since launch, almost every area of the game has had work done and seen some dramatic changes. It can be very easy to introduce new bugs. They want to get back on the good side of everyone, releasing a beta with obvious bugs will detract from the improvements and give people a wrong impression.

tintifaxl
09-06-2011, 09:29 AM
They should take their time to do it properly. This patch is too important to simply rush it out the door. And even then it will need a quick fix shortly after.

Ataros
09-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Its obvious that many people get frustrated because they are waitin for patch release dates that turn out to be fake...

you cant treat customers like that

The only solution is not to post any updates till a patch is uploaded. I think they will do this next time to make everyone happy. I guess we will not hear from the devs approximately 6 months after this patch is released. Get ready.
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=312010&postcount=96

David198502
09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
The only solution is not to post any updates till a patch is uploaded. I think they will do this next time to make everyone happy. I guess we will not hear from the devs approximately 6 months after this patch is released. Get ready.

i dont know if this is necessary, and i hope that it wont happen.
in my impression the forum became pretty quiet the last week, with most members waiting happily and patient for the beta patch.its only the minority who is upset right now i think.

Havoc04
09-06-2011, 10:00 AM
BEST policy is to....
Give updates how things are doin screenshots etc

But

NO RELEASE TIMES...

Save the agro of
a) Not finished
b) Not making the customers pressing the F5 key disappointed.
Pretty damn simple if you ask me.

Giving a release day/time and not following through is SHOOTING yourelf in the foot.

Posting an update DOES NOT require a release date to be stated.

Regards

Icebear
09-06-2011, 10:03 AM
..........I guess we will not hear from the devs approximately 6 months after this patch is released. Get ready.

Interesting theory. Any proofs for your allegations ? Quoting your own assumptions and rallying calls are nice to read, but where are they from ?

....And no, we will not hear any ETA from the devs because they are doing their best to finish it asap and tying to release it in 3-6 hours but ...it is not that easy as some can imagine.

Any proofs or just another itchy feeling between your legs ? ;)

Skoshi Tiger
09-06-2011, 10:14 AM
Interesting theory. Any proofs for your allegations ? Quoting your own assumptions and rallying calls are nice to read, but where are they from ?

Hmmm! I'd say this is one of the reasons the developers give infrequent information. Ataros says 'Guess' and you ask him for proof????

Go Figure!

Icebear
09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Hmmm! I'd say this is one of the reasons the developers give infrequent information. Ataros says 'Guess' and you ask him for proof????

Go Figure!

Why ? We should stop posting, but he can "guess" ? IMO only an open and regular status report from the developers will restrain people to "guess" or to spread assumptions with no proof.

Ataros
09-06-2011, 10:26 AM

Try using your own brain to process information not the thing between your legs. When you learn to make logical conclusions you would be able to rely on your own opinion and not beg for proof here and there.

Icebear
09-06-2011, 10:44 AM

My brain process information I read with my eyes. The only logical conclusion for me is that there is no need for assumptions and personal opinions. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, they should take as much time as necessary, but they should also give a one sentence note in here in if they can't meet their own schedule. I'm sure nobody would really worry about.

ingsoc84
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I'd say..at this point, its out when its out..and I'm just happy they are working on it ;)

Meusli
09-06-2011, 11:11 AM
My brain process information I read with my eyes. The only logical conclusion for me is that there is no need for assumptions and personal opinions. ;-)

Don't get me wrong, they should take as much time as necessary, but they should also give a one sentence note in here in if they can't meet their own schedule. I'm sure nobody would really worry about.

He says no earlier than end of day Monday, it's deliberately vague to stop posts asking when it is coming. So that meant from Monday night till whenever it is done.

catito14
09-06-2011, 12:35 PM
He said Monday ... but he never said WICH monday ;)

Madfish
09-06-2011, 12:44 PM
I guess it'll take a while to mow down grass that's 500 feet high. :D

Ze-Jamz
09-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I guess it'll take a while to mow down grass that's 500 feet high. :D

http://www.ecosmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/weed-and-grass-killer-large.jpg

''Does exactly what it says on the tin'' :)

And if you look closely, its Eco friendly so Ok for Tree's Dog 'Patch'

lothar29
09-06-2011, 01:43 PM
Hey, just need a little help with grass...If not could use you wrong this...

http://i914.photobucket.com/albums/ac344/allia29/SIMULADORES/cortadora-cesped-paraluthier.jpg

It is just a little sense of humor...

:grin::grin: