PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Tavingon
09-01-2011, 10:45 AM
Will we ever see rain or storms in game? Clouds just ain't doing it for me right now ;)

Rextar
09-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Will we ever see rain or storms in game? Clouds just ain't doing it for me right now ;)

+1

Phazon
09-01-2011, 11:08 AM
I agree, some proper cloud formations would be a good start. At the moment Cliffs of Dover is behind the times in terms of cloud graphics. I'm afraid that once I get over the new colours and sounds, it will be a big sticking point against the game for me. :(

I know there is alot behind the scenes thats turned off until its finished but it'd still be nice to get something in the meantime to help boost the game's visuals to today's levels.

Tavingon
09-01-2011, 11:10 AM
More than anything I'm looking forward to seeing the see lashing and waves smashing over the beach in the storms!

recoilfx
09-01-2011, 11:15 AM
Currently, the best clouds implementation is seen in the World of Planes benchmark demo.

The sizes/variations of the the cloud formations are pretty damn awesome. They still look cartoonish, but it's the best out there currently.

I have this feeling that aside from the back-lit distance clouds, we won't see better clouds at least till the second expansion pack.

Jaws2002
09-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Currently, the best clouds implementation is seen in the World of Planes benchmark demo.

The sizes/variations of the the cloud formations are pretty damn awesome. They still look cartoonish, but it's the best out there currently.

I have this feeling that aside from the back-lit distance clouds, we won't see better clouds at least till the second expansion pack.

You must be joking. World of planes demo has some of the worst clouds in curent sims. Much worse than CLOD. Very low resolution clouds, that look like painted on the wall. I find them to look silly. Go try FSX +Rex and come back to tell me that silly world of planes demo has good clouds.

Continu0
09-01-2011, 01:41 PM
More than anything I'm looking forward to seeing the see lashing and waves smashing over the beach in the storms!

To see that would make me very very happy and excited!

pupaxx
09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
considering CloD a 2011 game, my aspectation is nothing less than Shockwave BoBII weather module.
Cheers

Tavingon
09-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Im suprised I havent seen anyone else talk about weather?

ATAG_Septic
09-01-2011, 02:08 PM
Whether the weather is cold or whether the weather is hot, we'll weather the weather whatever the weather, whether we like it or not. :)

GF_Mastiff
09-01-2011, 02:22 PM
Whether the weather is cold or whether the weather is hot, we'll weather the weather whatever the weather, whether we like it or not. :)

ha ha good one. you must be a sailor?

recoilfx
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
You must be joking. World of planes demo has some of the worst clouds in curent sims. Much worse than CLOD. Very low resolution clouds, that look like painted on the wall. I find them to look silly. Go try FSX +Rex and come back to tell me that silly world of planes demo has good clouds.

Rex, as far as I've seen, looks great from a distance, but when you fly through the clouds, texture pop and breaks... it's not volumetric, just bunch of premade textures.

The ones in world of planes demo are volumetric. Did you see the formation layers? I don't think i've ever seen them in video games before. It's like an 'ocean' of clouds!

Jaws2002
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
I'm not sure if the clouds in WOP are volumetric or not, but they are extremely low resolution. it looks horrible from high altitude. While Rex has 2d clouds, they look awesome and the formations behave very natural.

ROF has awesome volumetric clouds as well, but they don't have to many different shapes. CLOD clouds honestly look better than WOP clouds.

Blackdog_kt
09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
There is a weather module in the sim but it's not fully functional and deactivated for performance reasons in the stock content. However, it's there on a "use at your own risk" basis because a lot of people wanted to see it.

If you go into the FMB you can set up weather patterns for your mission and it doesn't look bad at all. I remember someone posting screenshots of this from an earlier version but i can't recall exactly which thread it was. All i remember was seeing a flight of 110s cruising between two cloud layers at low altitude and the colours and general feeling of it where very much giving an impression of flying in an impending storm.

Once the graphics optimizations are complete maybe they'll move on to that and enable it, seeing as it's pretty much included in the sim already.

Vengeanze
09-01-2011, 10:48 PM

If you want storm and still keep the realism of this sim then you'd be sitting in the mess reading a book during the storm. Sounds like fun.:-P

NedLynch
09-01-2011, 11:04 PM
First of all the clouds do look great and don't give me the comparison with that arcade game, making pretty clouds and making pretty clouds that impact your airplane as real objects with physical properties are two different things.
Secondly the clouds in CoD need to be optimized since right now they have an extreme impact on performance, yet you should have them turned on since they are not just a graphics option but a realism option, meaning flying through them actually affects your plane, negatively.
Thirdly, and I could be wrong on this, the period of the battle saw mostly fair weather, it was summer/late summer after all, so really nasty storms would probably be more aplicable for custom time periods such as flying in december or so. Besides aircraft on all sides were usually grounded due to bad weather throughout the war, so the only occasion when you would encounter severe weather should be a surprise storm or something like that.

Bonkin
09-02-2011, 02:48 PM
There is a weather module in the sim but it's not fully functional and deactivated for performance reasons in the stock content. However, it's there on a "use at your own risk" basis because a lot of people wanted to see it.

If you go into the FMB you can set up weather patterns for your mission and it doesn't look bad at all. I remember someone posting screenshots of this from an earlier version but i can't recall exactly which thread it was. All i remember was seeing a flight of 110s cruising between two cloud layers at low altitude and the colours and general feeling of it where very much giving an impression of flying in an impending storm.

Once the graphics optimizations are complete maybe they'll move on to that and enable it, seeing as it's pretty much included in the sim already.

Try this thread...
http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25717

And here's a couple more. The first one above an overcast and the second one diving down to go through it.

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Bonkin32/clouds5.jpg

http://i1093.photobucket.com/albums/i439/Bonkin32/clouds6.jpg

I've been experimenting with different weather settings and unfortunately the two things which are certain with the current build are 1) its a frame killer if you up the complexity (i.e. layers and areas) and 2) its unstable and will lead to crashes.

Tavingon
09-06-2011, 10:39 PM
After the new stunning patch, I hope they can implement great weather cycles!

Chivas
09-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Like Blackdog says moving clouds and weather patterns are modeled in the sim, but arn't fully implemented as yet. Stay tuned for further patches.