PDA

View Full Version : Cliffs of Dover Steam Download Upate

Fergal69
08-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Just logged on to my PC & had a Steam pop up to say an update for Cliffs of Dover has been downloaded.

Anyone know what the update has done?

At least it looks like the developers are working on Cliffs of Dover for an update to be downloaded.

Fjordmonkey
08-31-2011, 05:53 AM
Looks to be a rumor going about increased performance. I haven't had the time to test it yet, but will as soon as I get my butt home from work in 8ish hours.

albx
08-31-2011, 06:09 AM
Just logged on to my PC & had a Steam pop up to say an update for Cliffs of Dover has been downloaded.

Anyone know what the update has done?

At least it looks like the developers are working on Cliffs of Dover for an update to be downloaded.

there are 2 other threads of the same thing....

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25758

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=25755

why create another??

ReconNZ
08-31-2011, 07:28 AM
ok not sure about performance, it maybe does feel smoother to look around, but one definite difference:

Now to remove the mirror, you just press the mirror button once (M for me) - before it took two presses to turn it off, (the first press made it go at staticy) now it just turns simply on or off.

I have no idea why this would have changed, but it definitely seems to have done so! I'm thinking this means there are other changes too!

Troll2k
08-31-2011, 05:42 PM
It did not change my version number.I would have expected at least an "A" after the version number.

moxy
08-31-2011, 06:14 PM
~S~
I saw 2 sfs files in the root folders, dated yesterday.
What this mean I don't know.
Moxy

Meusli
08-31-2011, 06:20 PM
I personally think they are updates to the steam cloud service, as steam are running out a couple of cloud updates this week. Clod uses steam cloud so this is what is most likely.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
I personally think they are updates to the steam cloud service, as steam are running out a couple of cloud updates this week. Clod uses steam cloud so this is what is most likely.
LOL! Wouldnt that be funny if that is all it is! I mean what with all the folks swaring they are getting better FPS and all due to 'the patch' ;)

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 12:52 AM
LOL! Wouldnt that be funny if that is all it is! I mean what with all the folks swaring they are getting better FPS and all due to 'the patch' ;)

As one of the "folks swaring they are getting better FPS and all due to 'the patch' ", if this patch does only "that", this "that" was bugged as hell, and now I have much more fluid gameplay...

Don't try to look smarter, test yourself. I don't know what this patch does, but now I have really better gameplay, and I test this game in regular basis.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 12:59 AM
As one of the "folks swaring they are getting better FPS and all due to 'the patch' ", if this patch does only "that", this "that" was bugged as hell, and now I have much more fluid gameplay...

Don't try to look smarter, test yourself. I don't know what this patch does, but now I have really better gameplay, and I test this game in regular bases.LOL!

Well if the shoe fits ware it.. but don't take it personal!

If you think your getting better FPS post patch.. More power to ya!

Who am I to rain on your parade and say you aint?

But I will say this, I got word documents that are bigger than 20megs! So if this is a patch, it is one small patch and most likely not the patch that Lutheir was referring to that is suppose to redo ALL the Sounds and Video.

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 01:05 AM
LOL!

Well if if the shoe fits ware it.. but don't take it personal!

If you think your getting better FPS post patch.. More power to ya!

Who am I to rain on your parade and say you aint?

But I will say this, I got word documents that are bigger than 20megs! So if this is a patch, it is one small patch and most likely not the patch that Lutheir was referring to that is suppose to redo ALL the Sounds and Video

Test it yourself. OBVIOUSLY isn't Ilya new sound + revamped graphics engine... It's a small Steam update, that change one .dll and some .sfs files...

You have the game? Test yourself... I didn't believe myself too, but I clear cache after install and the game is much more smooth now, and I clear cache in regular basis too...

And you can do a lot of things with less than 1MB of code...

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 01:09 AM
Test it yourself. OBVIOUSLY isn't Ilya new sound + revamped graphics engine... It's a small Steam update, that change one .dll and some .sfs files...

You have the game? Test yourself... I didn't believe myself too, but I clear cache after install and the game is much more smooth now, and I clear cache in regular basis too...

And you can do a lot of things with less than 1MB of code...
That is your opinion and your welcome to it..

Sorry if it upsets you that I dont agree with it

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 01:36 AM
That is your opinion and your welcome to it..

Sorry if it upsets you that I dont agree with it

You have IL-2: Cliffs of Dover?!

If yes, please give you opinion AFTER testing install Steam update + clear cache...

If not, what are you doing here? ;)

I'm not upset, I'm just telling that performance is improved after this Steam update. If you can't see yourself, don't assume things.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 01:41 AM
You have IL-2: Cliffs of Dover?!
Yes

If yes, please give you opinion AFTER testing install Steam update + clear cache...
I allready gave you my opinion

If not, what are you doing here? ;)
Here.. well this is the CoD forum, and as most people here I am keeping up to date with the CoD info.. Some of which is fact and some of which is fiction

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 01:54 AM
I allready gave you my opinion

No, you didn't. You didn't say if you have gains in performance after Steam update and cache cleaning.

If not, you are the first I see here saying that. You "opinion" until now is that you don't believe that anything with "only" 20MB can do something relevant in performance gains, and this "opinion" I can easily not even take into account, because is nonsense.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 01:59 AM
No, you didn't. You didn't say if you have gains in performance after Steam update and cache cleaning.

If not, you are the first I see here saying that. You "opinion" until now is that you don't believe that anything with "only" 20MB can do something relevant in performance gains, and this "opinion" I can easily not even take into account, because is nonsense.
You seem to have me confused with someone that cares deeply about your claim that the fps is improved..

Know now that I am not that person!

As I told you before, if you think your seeing an improvement in your fps, hey good for you! I hope you are seeing an improvement!

And again I'm sorry if my line of reasoning upsets you, that being that I find it odd that such a small patch would have the big effect your claiming to see. I also find it odd that the patch did not change the reported version number of the game (as some have said, I didn't take note of the version prior to the patch so I'm taking their word on that). If true that alone would suggest this is more of a STEAM house keeping update than a CoD patch. There, that is my extended opinion. Your welcome to digest it or toss it, either way is fine by me.

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 02:06 AM
You seem to have me confused with someone that cares deeply about your claim that the fps is improved..

Know now that I am not that person!

As I told you before, if you think your seeing an improvement in your fps, hey good for you! I hope you are seeing an improvement!

And again I'm sorry if my line of reasoning upsets you, that being that I find it odd that such a small patch would have the big effect your claiming to see. I also find it odd that the patch did not change the reported version number of the game (as some have said, I didn't take note of the version prior to the patch so I'm taking their word on that). If true that alone would suggest this is more of a STEAM house keeping update than a CoD patch. There, that is my extended opinion. Your welcome to digest it or toss it, either way is fine by me.

Isn't only me. Search the topics. I'm not "claiming", I'm TESTING. Some saw gains, I tested myself and saw gains regards performance too. Really simple to do... I don't do ' "brainstorm" of what this uptade is, just saw the results.

But you are just trolling around. Not even tested if performance changed or not. Congrats! People like you move the world!

Just a note, genious: why in hell do you think that "STEAM house keeping update" can't improve performance? Think a minute after saying a lot of nonsense to support your "point"... People saw gains some time ago with Steam Cloud disabled in CloD... Research a little.

:grin:

SacaSoh
09-01-2011, 02:09 AM
Even with Kilobytes of change you can get impressive performance increases. But, given that we hadn't any news of a performance oriented patch, its unlikely any big "perceptible" performance gains. Its easier to wait a changelog or find someone to test before/after (i don't know if you can "unpatch" steam games). This discussion is pointless... I'm only here adding to the pointlessness because i have nothing to do until steam finishes downloading Red Orchestra 2 beta... :-D

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 02:17 AM
Isn't only me. Search the topics. I'm not "claiming", I'm TESTING. Some saw gains, I tested myself and saw gains regards performance too. Really simple to do... I don't do ' "brainstorm" of what this uptade is, just saw the results.

But you are just trolling around. Not even tested if performance changed or not. Congrats! People like you move the world!

Just a note, genious: why in hell do you think that "STEAM house keeping update" can't improve performance? Think a minute after saying a lot of nonsense to support your "point"... People saw gains some time ago with Steam Cloud disabled in CloD... Research a little.

Well this is not my first rodeo..

That and I understand just how easy the human senses can be fooled. That being if someone really Really REALLY wants to see something.. they typically will see it (within reason). A good example being some of the ghost hunter shows on cable, but I digress.

I will say this, I hope I am wrong! I hope you are seeing a fps increase!

But know this, thus far you have provided no proof of it. Sorry if it upsets you, but just because you call it testing, it does not mean it qualify as a test. Not in the scientific method mind set where it is repeatable and measurable.

On that note, what 'tools' are you using to measure the fps? What baseline playback file (ala black death track find in IL2) are you using to preform your before and after tests on? Or is it safe to assume that your definition of TEST TOOLS is your eyeballs? ;)

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 02:18 AM
I got to say, it does appear to increase your fps. Tested last night, and on average, I picked up 10 frames per second. Increasing AA didn't do anything however, only the FSAA fix gives my GTX 560Ti any sort of AA. But completely removing any AA from the in-game menu was responsible for an increase of about 6fps.

Exactly. Native MSAA in CloD still not working, I still using the FXAA "fix and after this update I saw - with same VGA - much less anoying stutters in stressfull situations and better FPS. And that with HIGHER settigs that I was using before this update.

It's not "subjective" or "placebo". Just test it. Why in hell is so hard to peple do that BEFORE jump here to talk crap?!

Really strange this "community"... It's "good news bullet proof"...

SacaSoh
09-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Tested here... it can be placebo effect or coincidence, but on black death, keeping the FSAA dll, i'm getting about 10fps, didn't do a "scientific" equal view angles test, but on explosions, groups of planes, etc i've got a noticeable increase in performance (sometimes it "locked" on 60fps for some time, absolutely sure that it never happended before on black death). But, as i said, it can be a coincidence.

Edit: didn't see LoBiSoMeM post... now this i call coincidence.

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Well this is not my first rodeo..

That and I understand just how easy the human senses can be fooled. That being if someone really Really REALLY wants to see something.. they typically will see it (within reason). A good example being some of the ghost hunter shows on cable, but I digress.

I will say this, I hope I am wrong! I hope you are seeing a fps increase!

But know this, thus far you have provided no proof of it. Sorry if it upsets you, but just because you call it testing, it does not mean it qualify as a test. Not in the scientific method mind set where it is repeatable and measurable.

On that note, what 'tools' are you using to measure the fps? What baseline playback file (ala black death track find in IL2) are you using to preform your before and after tests on? Or is it safe to assume that your definition of TEST TOOLS is your eyeballs? ;)

The best tool is attacking a formation of +10 He111 in the same mission I fly in regular basis testing CloD performance, with recorded tracks and with all "stutter points" marked.

You assume people are idiot. We aren't. Test it yourself or just shut up. I have LOTS of videos in YouTube - Black Death too. Tomorrow I'll upload the retesting of this track with this update. I run it here and my" eyeballs" saw much more fluid FPS in HIGHER settings...

But you are the "FMs expert". You are a science man, sorry if my not-double blind study can't change your mind. My fault! :cool:

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 02:25 AM
Tested here... it can be placebo effect or coincidence, but on black death, keeping the FSAA dll, i'm getting about 10fps, didn't do a "scientific" equal view angles test, but on explosions, groups of planes, etc i've got a noticeable increase in performance (sometimes it "locked" on 60fps for some time, absolutely sure that it never happended before on black death). But, as i said, it can be a coincidence.

Edit: didn't see LoBiSoMeM post... now this i call coincidence.

Our eyeballs can see +10 FPS and less stutters changes... We are almost X-Men! :grin:

Some "scientific testing":

xK3vwlBdOdA

In this custom mission, I ALWAYS had noticeable FPS drop when engaging large bomber formations. Now, after Steam update, you can see for yourselfs and compare with all other videos recorded over Dover in my YT channel. And this video up I record with old version of FRAPS and not in a reorded track, but during flight, and with all settings - but forest and Land Detail, on highest. No major FPS drop/stutters - even with view change and in really stressfull situations. Big gain!

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 02:35 AM
The best tool is attacking a formation of +10 He111 in the same mission I fly in regular basis testing CloD performance, with recorded tracks and with all "stutter points" marked.

You assume people are idiot. We aren't. Test it yourself or just shut up. I have LOTS of videos in YouTube - Black Death too. Tomorrow I'll upload the retesting of this track with this update. I run it here and my" eyeballs" saw much more fluid FPS in HIGHER settings...

But you are the "FMs expert". You are a science man, sorry if my not-double blind study can't change your mind. My fault! :cool:
Roger.. so no formal let alone repeatable or measurable test method.. Got it!

On a related note, I noticed that you keep avoiding answering the following items I brought up, i.e.

1) The patch did not change the version number of the game.
2) Human senses are easily fooled.
3) You have no before and after tests that show the increase.
4) You have not used any tools other than your eyes to measure the increase.

Is that because you see the logic in what I am saying and realize that any attempt on your part to try and explain them away will only show everyone how weak your argument is? Or is it something else?

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Is that because you see the logic in what I am saying and realize that any attempt on your part to try and explain them away will only show everyone how weak your argument is? Or is it something else?

I never had maximum 60 FPS in The Black Death track, in the settings I used t use to test. Just like SacaSoh.

Now I achieve this maximum FPS with all settings up, besides trees and Land Detail, that I keep in low/medium, and AA disabled ingame. Even SSAO I turn on. AND I DON'T HAVE ANY TEXTURE STREAMING STUTTER IN QUICKMISSION OVER LONDON, EVEN WITH TEXTURES IN "ORIGINAL" AND BUILDINGS IN "UNLIMITED"! THAT'S NEVER HAPPENS BEFORE!

It's something that I can test and provide some "numbers": 60 and ZERO! I'm not trying to argument with you, you are very limited but believe that are the savior of logic, typical behaviour of people with emotional problems. I want that you be happy. Good luck in your journey!

If people can test some perfromance increase - or not - will be nice!

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 02:53 AM
Our eyeballs can see +10 FPS and less stutters changes... We are almost X-Men! :grin:
Well Im sorry if pointing out humans make for terable test and measurment equipment..

Again, I wish I was wrong!

Because in my line of work I could save millions of dollars per project by getting rid of all the test and measurment equimpent we use here at WSMR if all I had to do was stick a 'guy' out in the field and told him to watch the F22 from HOLOMAN AFB flying by be able to tell me post test what his altitdue and speed was at every milisecond during the 20min test. Or what distance the T72 tank was from the BMP as the first rocket hit the lead vehical in the convoy. Yes I wish we had such XMEN.. But sadly we don't.

Now clearly you and I don't agree

Thats fine! No sence in you getting so upset! Like I said, I hope I am wrong. My only point is your 'eyes' along with your 'wanting to see' attitude is not something most people in my line of work would consider TEST worthy.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 02:54 AM
I never had maximum 60 FPS in The Black Death track, in the settings I used t use to test. Just like SacaSoh.

Now I achieve this maximum FPS with all settings up, besides trees and Land Detail, that I keep in low/medium, and AA disabled ingame. Even SSAO I turn on. AND I DON'T HAVE ANY TEXTURE STREAMING STUTTER IN QUICKMISSION OVER LONDON, EVEN WITH TEXTURES IN "ORIGINAL" AND BUILDINGS IN "UNLIMITED"! THAT'S NEVER HAPPENS BEFORE!

It's something that I can test and provide some "numbers": 60 and ZERO! I'm not trying to argument with you, you are very limited but believe that are the savior of logic, typical behaviour of people with emotional problems. I want that you be happy. Good luck in your journey!

If people can test some perfromance increase - or not - will be nice!
I noticed that you keep avoiding answering the following items I brought up, i.e.

1) The patch did not change the version number of the game.
2) Human senses are easily fooled.
3) You have not used any tools other than your eyes to measure the increase.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Well its late.. Im off to bed

Again, sorry if I upset you!

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 03:00 AM
Well Im sorry if pointing out humans make for terable test and measurment equipment..

Again, I wish I was wrong!

Because in my line of work I could save millions of dollars per project by getting rid of all the test and measurment equimpent we use here at WSMR if all I had to do was stick a 'guy' out in the field and told him to watch the F22 from HOLOMAN AFB flying by be able to tell me post test what his altitdue and speed was at every milisecond during the 20min test. Or what distance the T72 tank was from the BMP as the first rocket hit the lead vehical in the convoy. Yes I wish we had such XMEN.. But sadly we don't.

Now clearly you and I don't agree

Thats fine! No sence in you getting so upset! Like I said, I hope I am wrong. My only point is your 'eyes' along with your 'wanting to see' attitude is not something most people in my line of work would consider TEST worthy.

In your "line of work" you don't know what 20MB of code can do? That's explain a lot of things... Well, I'm glad that we are talking about 109s, Spits, Hurricanes, and not F22s... In WWII we use a lot our eyeballs to measure things, even the feeling of FMs... :cool:

1) The patch did not change the version number of the game. - Irrelevant. It changes .DLL files and .SFS files;
2) Human senses are easily fooled. - Yes, but human senses can detect noticeable stutters in gameplay;
3) You have no before and after tests that show the increase. - Yes, I have; 60FPS in BD track and zero texture streming stutters in London mission;
4) You have not used any tools other than your eyes to measure the increase. Yes, I had - internal FPS counter of CloD.

Happy ignore list to you. You even can't do some testing yourself, just is some guy frustrated in life trying to stand for a point in some internet forum. Really sad.

To normal people: First SP mission in Allies Campaign, all in Very High, except trees and Land Detail:

CxjXFR7ef80

Believe it... or not! And with FXAA enabled... 1680x1050... No tricks!

Blackdog_kt
09-01-2011, 05:34 AM
Lobisomem: No need to call names just because some people don't agree with you. This is not a crusade to convince each other, it's fine for each one of us to have their own opinion.

Ace: He answered your questions pretty well. The black death track and in-game FPS counter are good enough repeatable tests.

Custom missions are even better though, because the track playback feature is sometimes a bit bugged, not to mention that the black death benchmark track used by most is from a version several patches ago and not the best in terms of compatibility.

It's far better to have a single custom mission as a benchmark that you will fly in the exact same way each time, because it takes into account all of the patch changes up to that point. Having enabled the in-game FPS counter, getting the average and minimums at the end of the run is as good a benchmark as any for this time.

When the track playback is fixed then it will be possible to use a fixed track as a standard benchmark tool between patches, but for now it's easier and more accurate to enable the FPS counter and just reenact the scenarios that you know give you performance problems.

For example, i get 25-60 FPS depending on terrain. The only place get lower than 25 FPS is when skimming the rooftops over London at very low altitude. The only thing i need to do to test this patch is start the London sightseeing tour from the QMB, enable the FPS counter and once the mission starts drop down to the deck and see what kind of numbers it displays.

There are many repeatable tests and not everyone uses the same track/mission, especially if there are quicker ways to get your PC in a stressful situation than having to sit through the entire track.

Rather peeved
09-01-2011, 07:45 AM
squabbling aside - anyone got any real idea what the update was? I had it too,

Ze-Jamz
09-01-2011, 07:46 AM
I've noticed I hear gunners now from EA and damage when they hit the airframe.

Lost this a couple patches ago

Vengeanze
09-01-2011, 08:03 AM
After the download my wand grew an inch.

Seriously, I'm glad and all for those who get a raise in frames from this dl or from new vid drivers or from running SSD raid 0 but in the real world where I live only thing that does the trick is upgrade g-card or new optimizing patch.

LoBiSoMeM
09-01-2011, 09:53 AM
After the download my wand grew an inch.

Seriously, I'm glad and all for those who get a raise in frames from this dl or from new vid drivers or from running SSD raid 0 but in the real world where I live only thing that does the trick is upgrade g-card or new optimizing patch.

You tested? Seriously, Blackdog... Sometimes I think I don't call names enough, to be true...

It's really that hard to some undestrand that this Steam update fix something that was seriously broken?! And in "the real world"?

Tired AGAIN of this. Out of this discussion. As I said a lot of times: some just don't deserve this software or even recognize the work in solving issues.

Boring. But as last try... This is what this Steam update does, in the real world where I live:

CxjXFR7ef80

And without hardware upgrades or full new graphic engine and sound patch. IsnĀ“t so hard to understand that I NEVER run this sim this way, with these settings, isn't?

merlin1
09-01-2011, 10:18 AM
As I see it , for me no more pop-up and square buildings.

rgr.

David198502
09-01-2011, 10:59 AM
for me it doesnt made any significant difference.at least not as much as i would have noticed.but at least it didnt make it worse.

recoilfx
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Everything turned on except SSAO && AA. VSYNC still needs to be turned on in order to get rid of the stutters. Buildings still pop if set to unlimited. Shadows still flicker.

But it is running smoother! Also, I played about 45 mins of multiplayer with trees on, didn't loose audio at all! YAY?!

Vengeanze
09-01-2011, 11:36 AM
You tested?

I gave it a good 2 hours testing and couldn't find anything different. And yes I had the download and cleared the cache.

All the different configs in hw and sw and settings. Sure, something downloaded alright and it had some effect on your config but not over here (I lied about my wand).
Btw what is your hw/sw?

JG53Frankyboy
09-01-2011, 11:52 AM
all this would stop with a short clarification from 1C....but what do i expect :D

perhaps it will be mentioned when they will release and explain (at least a bit) the BETA of the next patch..................

Vengeanze
09-01-2011, 03:06 PM
perhaps it will be mentioned when they will release and explain (at least a bit) the BETA of the next patch..................

...which Luthier has promised will be tomorrow. ;-)

JG53Frankyboy
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
he said "it might be"....................

ACE-OF-ACES
09-01-2011, 10:16 PM
LoBiSoMeM
In your "line of work" you don't know what 20MB of code can do?
WOW..

You are really upset aren't you?

To the point that you are 'seeing' things that are not there! For example, you seem to be under the impression that I said a 20meg file can have NO EFFECT on the FPS. Which is not true at all. So, please, take a deep breath, count to ten, wipe the tears from your eyes and read what I wrote slowing, and maybe even twice before you hit the reply button.

LoBiSoMeM
That's explain a lot of things...
Yes, for those who don't make a living testing. Because they typically think they are XMEN and/or are ignorant of what is required to collect useful data.

LoBiSoMeM
Well, I'm glad that we are talking about 109s, Spits, Hurricanes, and not F22s...
That statement by you confirms to me that you don't know of which you speak, because it does not mater if it is a 109, Spitfire, or F22.

LoBiSoMeM
In WWII we use a lot our eyeballs to measure things, even the feeling of FMs...
Let me guess.. You 'belive' not test equipment was used in WWII? And that all measurement were made by hand? Well I hate to be the one to tell you this, but that is not true either!

LoBiSoMeM
1) The patch did not change the version number of the game. - Irrelevant. It changes .DLL files and .SFS files;
So, let me see if I understand your line of reasoning (logic) here. You want us to belive that Luther put out a patch that did not change the version number of the game..

So far so good?

Interesting.. But consider this, CoD (1C) included the necessary files for CoD to be played on the STEAM network. In the software since the STEAM files act like a wrapper around the CoD class. But are seperate from the CoD core (class) files. Which in turn allows STEAM to make updates to their files without affecting the core CoD files. Which I submit to you is the case here. In that I would not expect an update to the STEAM files to effect version number off CoD, and visa versa. They are two modules, if you will, that interact with each other, but are separate.

LoBiSoMeM
2) Human senses are easily fooled. - Yes, but human senses can detect noticeable stutters in gameplay;
But stutters can be caused by many different things. Typically studders are due to disk accesses, page loading if you will. Where something happened in the game that needs to be rendered on the screen. Say the art associated with a ground explosion. If this art is already in video memory, no problem, render it. If it is not in video memory, bad news! You need to go look at the cache, if it is not there than you need to go to disk, load it into memory, than render it. So something as simple as you defragging your hard drive between this version of CoD and the last version (whoops I forgot the version number did not change) could affect your stutters. That is just one example, there are hundreds of things that could cause stutters. Video drivers, temperature of your video card, etc etc.. Too many to point to one thing imho.

LoBiSoMeM
3) You have no before and after tests that show the increase. - Yes, I have; 60FPS in BD track and zero texture streming stutters in London mission;
Really? Than please provide the link to the video you took before the patch and the video you took after the patch that shows the same playback file (black death) with the FPS displayed at the top.

LoBiSoMeM
4) You have not used any tools other than your eyes to measure the increase. Yes, I had - internal FPS counter of CloD.
Really? Than please provide the link to the video you took before the patch and the video you took after the patch that shows the same playback file (black death) with the FPS displayed at the top.

LoBiSoMeM
Happy ignore list to you.
Promise?

All kidding aside, I actually that is a good idea! For your sake that is! Because you are clearly one of those types of people that gets very upset with people who don't agree with you.

LoBiSoMeM
You even can't do some testing yourself,
There you go again, seeing things that were never said!

LoBiSoMeM
just is some guy frustrated in life trying to stand for a point in some internet forum. Really sad.
Ill tell you what is really sad.. Someone that can not stand it when someone disagrees with them, so much so that they have to result to name calling, which by the way is against forum rules!

LoBiSoMeM
To normal people: First SP mission in Allies Campaign, all in Very High, except trees and Land Detail:

Believe it... or not! And with FXAA enabled... 1680x1050... No tricks!
No tricks..
No repeatable test method..
No proof..

Neat opinion, but nothing more than that. Again, to those who actually read what I wrote, I hope I am wrong, I hope this little patch improved the FPS and more. But now ask yourself, does it make since that 1C (Luther) would release such a small patch to fix the video system just prior to a big patch that they claim is going to replace the current video system? If your still not convinced, ask yourself, does it make since that 1C (Luther) would release a CoD patch that does not change the CoD version number? At which point I think you.. how did LoBiSoMem say it? 'normal' people will realize that this patch is more of a STEAM update than a CoD patch. Again, just my line of reasoning (read opinion) based on my experience, both in life and sim life. If you agree with me, fine.. if you don't agree with me, that is fine too! In that I think there is one thing most of us here can agree upon, and that is we don't have to agree with each other 100% of the time to act civil to each other.

Widow17
09-02-2011, 12:30 PM
hmm, i tried cod again after this update and i still have slideshow on my i5 750 with gtx460. Well....too bad it reminds me to my lost 500 bucks due to new comp and a pretty expensive COd version.... i know you dont like cry babies but for me this is a real problem, with the 500 bucks out of the window...

furbs
09-02-2011, 12:38 PM
I noticed no changes at all.

ATAG_Snapper
09-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Two changes I noticed:

1) no more flickering water. When I went to SLI last week the flickering was brutal and made the sim unplayable for me over the Channel. I was able to reduce the flickering by tweaks in Nvidia Inspector, but it was just hit or miss settings I was playing with. Since the "phantom" Steam update all flickering has ceased. This is good news for SLI rigs, don't know if this was an issue for Radeon Crossfire systems.

2) mirror shuts off with just single toggle hit of default "M" key. Before it took two hits to make the mirror go away (to boost frame rate). The first hit only made the mirror reflection distort. Note: this was originally reported by someone else - I'm merely confirming that report. No major performance benefit, but an indication that SOMETHING was altered within CoD despite no version change indicated.

Subjectively I think I'm getting smoother gameplay in terms of somewhat better frame rates and less stutters -- but this is a tough thread to be reporting that! LOL

louisv
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
hmm, i tried cod again after this update and i still have slideshow on my i5 750 with gtx460. Well....too bad it reminds me to my lost 500 bucks due to new comp and a pretty expensive COd version.... i know you dont like cry babies but for me this is a real problem, with the 500 bucks out of the window...

You shouldn't have a slideshow with that system, something is wrong.

People with lesser systems play it regurlarly.

TUCKIE_JG52
09-02-2011, 01:27 PM

Same here, I7 920 OC@ 3,33Ghz, DDR3 6Gb RAM, GTX580, 1000W

CoD ran at 20fps at full graphics while flying low over London, with minor stutters. If everybody got an fps boost, the problem may be other; maybe the Nvidia controll panel and physix installation failurte since last installation of drivers... Driver is installed Ok but not anything else about graphic card...

icarus
09-02-2011, 02:24 PM
I got a modest but noticable performance boost after that Steam update (London slide show now nearly playable), but I am pretty sure it wasn't the update. I think it was from deleting my cache which I do before updating and that might increase fps. All speculation and empirical evidence, sorry.

One thing that is not speculation, there is no CoD patch until the version number changes.:-D

ACE-OF-ACES
09-02-2011, 04:05 PM
icarus
I got a modest but noticable performance boost after that Steam update (London slide show now nearly playable), but I am pretty sure it wasn't the update. I think it was from deleting my cache which I do before updating and that might increase fps. All speculation and empirical evidence, sorry.

One thing that is not speculation, there is no CoD patch until the version number changes. ;)
Agreed

Video can be affected by so many variables that it is hard to say exactly which one 'thing' caused it.

That and it really does not make sense to me to put out a small patch just days before the planned big patch.

IMHO the only way that would make sense to someone is if they can answer 'YES' to all of the following questions:

1) (Y/N) Does it make sense to have members of your software team developing a patch to fix 'video A', and at the same time have your software team developing a patch that is going to replace 'video A' with 'video B' just days later?
2) (Y/N) Does it make sense to have members of your software team develop and release a patch that does not change the version number?

Again, just my way of looking at it (line of reasoning)

I could be wrong, crazier things have happened in this world.

But, based on that I think the 20meg update from a few days ago had more to do with STEAM than a CoD vidoe patch.. call me crazy! ;)

ACE-OF-ACES
09-02-2011, 05:32 PM
Maybe, but why have a 20mb update at all by your reasoning?
Allready stated, but Ill repeat. Basically a STEAM house keeping update that deals with the STEAM interface aka wrapper around CoD. If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, it might have something to do with the current HL interfacing going on?

Another possible reason would be: a small tweak of the code they found, easily sent through Steam in preparation for the next patch.
They found? So you did answer yes to one if not both of the questions? ;)

LoBiSoMeM
09-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Allready stated, but Ill repeat. Basically a STEAM house keeping update that deals with the STEAM interface aka wrapper around CoD. If I had to guess, and it is only a guess, it might have something to do with the current HL interfacing going on?

This guy STILL not understanding that Steam management of CloD maybe was reducing performance and this Steam patch maybe solve some issue... Soe already stated that disable Steam Cloud give a boost in performance...

Steam runs side by side with CloD. But this guy is a legalist, let's he be happy.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-02-2011, 05:55 PM
This guy STILL not understanding that Steam management of CloD maybe was reducing performance and this Steam patch maybe solve some issue... Soe already stated that disable Steam Cloud give a boost in performance...

Steam runs side by side with CloD. But this guy is a legalist, let's he be happy.Darn.. I thought you said you were going to put me on ignore? I really think that would be a good idea.. For your sake, what with you being so upset your seeing people say things that were never said

icarus
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Maybe, but why have a 20mb update at all by your reasoning?

Another possible reason would be: a small tweak of the code they found, easily sent through Steam in preparation for the next patch.

Steam does this all the time. It does it to my other games too. Nothing to see here.

LoBiSoMeM
09-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Steam does this all the time. It does it to my other games too. Nothing to see here.

Yes... Steam does that for nothing...

My God...

icarus
09-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes... Steam does that for nothing...

My God...

No need to be rude and arrogant. Its so not a big deal.

I meant it was for nothing in the way of CoD improvements and was a Steam oriented update. Be happy :-D

Ze-Jamz
09-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Blimey fellas...does it really matter?

Is it this game that makes us like this or is it just our personalitys?, I mean look back at what your actually getting wound up about!?

Ive been victim to it once or twice too...

Calm the *edit* down!....It doesn't matter really does it!?

Jeeesus

icarus
09-02-2011, 08:31 PM
I have a few Steam games, if this was merely a Steam update, then they would have had downloads applied also. Since there were none, we'll have to assume this was a CoD update.

Not necessarily, when Steam wants to do a Steam related update it does it when you start the next game, whatever it is (for most people on this forum that was CoD). It doesn't do it for every game you start. At least it never has for me.

Anyway, all this attention to a 20 mb update is moot. It didn't do much and the big kahuna is Monday which will make this discussion irrelevant.

Monday will be fun :-D

Blimey fellas...does it really matter?

Is it this game that makes us like this or is it just our personalitys?, I mean look back at what your actually getting wound up about!?

Ive been victim to it once or twice too...

Calm the *edit* down!....It doesn't matter really does it!?

Jeeesus

+1

LoBiSoMeM
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=icarus;330243Anyway, all this attention to a 20 mb update is moot. It didn't do much and the big kahuna is Monday which will make this discussion irrelevant.

Monday will be fun :-D

+1[/QUOTE]

Well... look: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=330000&postcount=1

Sounda out, left 190MB. And in these 190, we have one new MP map, some trains, etc.

Do the math.

Well, all this is about people that want "proof" of performance increase. Well, I'm not in a court of law, I'm just sharing what I saw here in my computer: the game runs way better now with this Steam update. Something was "solved" with it. Fact.

If people are sick enough to demand "proofs", it's not my business, but I don't like to be treated like an idiot who cannot test performance increases and FOR SURE I i'm not a liar.

Simple as that. If your performance didn't change, some people have NOTICEABLE gains. Live with that.

icarus
09-02-2011, 09:24 PM
Well... look: http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=330000&postcount=1

Sounda out, left 190MB. And in these 190, we have one new MP map, some trains, etc.

Do the math.

Well, all this is about people that want "proof" of performance increase. Well, I'm not in a court of law, I'm just sharing what I saw here in my computer: the game runs way better now with this Steam update. Something was "solved" with it. Fact.

If people are sick enough to demand "proofs", it's not my business, but I don't like to be treated like an idiot who cannot test performance increases and FOR SURE I i'm not a liar.

Simple as that. If your performance didn't change, some people have NOTICEABLE gains. Live with that.

Dude, why so agressive with your comments to me? Are you trying to pick fights like a troll or something?

I have not demanded proof and I have had a small performance increase. I have not called you a liar and I have not treated you like you are an idiot. I think you need to calm down.

All I am saying is a 20 mb update on Steam is meaningless because Monday will make this a pointless discussion anyway.

LoBiSoMeM
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Dude, why so agressive with your comments to me? Are you trying to pick fights like a troll or something?

I have not demanded proof and I have had a small performance increase. I have not called you a liar and I have not treated you like you are stupid I think you need to calm down.

All I am saying is a 20 mb update on Steam is meaningless because Monday will make this a pointless discussion anyway.

Read all topic, I only get your point about Steam update size. Other user demands a lot of "scientific" evidences. I'm not so agressive as some "passive-agressive" folks here.

In all posts I made I try to be positive and report things relevant, but it's boring in the middle of a LOT of users that almost post nothing usefull.

But as far I can see, people like much more these "polite naysayers". I'll go back to the depths of my troll cave...

nearmiss
09-02-2011, 10:29 PM
No sense in the nonsense - we have an ignore list tool

Click on User CP and scroll down abit.

You can always change it, if you like.

It's a real help sometimes when you just can't get along with someone.

:rolleyes:

mvsarturi
09-02-2011, 10:50 PM
Maybe, for users with powerful machines this little update from tueday had an infinitesimal difference, while for users with modest machines it has made a more noticeable increase in performance. I'm sure that guy with 4 gtx580 didn't notice any improvement.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 12:02 AM
cheesehawk:
I have a few Steam games, if this was merely a Steam update, then they would have had downloads applied also. Since there were none, we'll have to assume this was a CoD update.

And..

cheesehawk:
The game I started wasn't CoD, but the update was to CoD. So still something was applied to CoD, not Steam.

So, just to be clear..

based on cheesehawk's responce, it is safe to assume that he has answered YES to both of the following questions

(Y/N) Does it make sense to have members of your software team developing a patch to fix 'video A', and at the same time have your software team developing a patch that is going to replace 'video A' with 'video B' just days later?

(Y/N) Does it make sense to have members of your software team develop and release a patch that does not change the version number?

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm just sharing what I saw here in my computer: the game runs way better now with this Steam update. Something was "solved" with it. Fact.
Fact?

Interesting..

So let me see if I understand you correctly..

Your saying that up to now, the STEAM software has been causing CoD to stutter and run 10fps slower than it should..

So far so good?

And that we are to belive

(1) 1C did NOT notice CoD shuddering and running 10fps slower via STEAM than without STEAM.

OR

(2) 1C did notice CoD shuddering and running 10fps slower via STEAM, but did not say anything about it before the patch, let alone say anything after the patch.

Which is it?

Either one just seems odd to me.. but that is your opinion and your welcome to it! I just hope your open minded enough to 'allow' others to express their opinions, and even disagree with yours.. Without you having to continue to resort to personal attacks.

LoBiSoMeM
09-03-2011, 01:55 PM
Either one just seems odd to me.. but that is your opinion and your welcome to it! I just hope your open minded enough to 'allow' others to express their opinions, and even disagree with yours.. Without you having to continue to resort to personal attacks.

No, I'll not allow others to express their opinions if this opinion is:

"The game don't runs better now in your computer".

Because THIS is "personal attack" and plain stupidity and lack of respect.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 02:12 PM
No, I'll not allow others to express their opinions if this opinion is:

"The game don't runs better now in your computer".
Ok?

Well than I guess it is a good thing that no one has said the game does not run better now on your computer

Because THIS is "personal attack" and plain stupidity and lack of respect.Based on your responce I don't think you fully understand what 'personal attack' means?

If you would like, I can proivde you some examples from your previous post to me and others that IMHO qualify as 'personal attacks'.

Let me know if you think that would help, in that I would be glad to do that for you!

Vengeanze
09-03-2011, 02:54 PM
C'mon guys. Lets bring this dead horse to page 10. :-D

ACE-OF-ACES
09-03-2011, 03:38 PM
C'mon guys. Lets bring this dead horse to page 10. :-D
Maybe it is just me..

But I always thought the purpose of a forum was to provide the user a place to exchange information and ideas..

Right?

Assuming that is the case..

I don't think anyone should expect their claims of FACT on any subject to be the last word on the subject..

Right?

I mean if your going to come into a forum (as define by me above) shouldn't it be expected that others may be prone to ask questions wrt to the statements of FACT this or FACT that?

Right?

So, knowing in advance one should expect questions as to how they came to their conclusions of FACT. I think they should not post at all if they are going to be so offended by questions that they have to resort to personal attacks

Am I crazy to expect that? Is that too much to ask?

Vengeanze
09-03-2011, 04:03 PM
http://www.arinsattic.com/images/aringallery/just_for_fun/WTF.jpg

theOden
09-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Valid questions ACE-OF-ACES.
I think the new "disagree with me and you're my enemy for life" of Internet-laws has some inmpact on the issue.
:)

Very common in here.

ATAG_Snapper
09-04-2011, 03:50 AM
"I've paid my five quid and I'm here for an argument."

"No, you haven't........"

David198502
09-04-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey, has anyone else noticed that changing skins in SP now works? Used to have to create a mission in FMB, but now the drop down actually changes the skin in game!

Was this part of the 20mb update, or did this slip through a previous patch and I just didn't realize it?

hey cheesehawk,...that works for some time now.its not due to the phantom patch.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
A classic example of how most myths get started

Blackdog_kt
09-04-2011, 11:30 PM
I seriously can't understand what the argument is here. Some people measured performance gains on their system, some couldn't replicate it. Big deal, there's thousands of combinations in terms of PC components.

The "shadow patch" might simply be a primer for the upcoming beta and new patch, or they just had a bit that could improve performance for users with an Ati card, or nVidia card, or whatever else and thought "why not release this before the final patch since it works and will help people in the meantime", or it could be streamlining parts of the game that have to do with the way it interfaces with steam, etc, etc.

I really don't understand where this need to convince everyone really comes from.

Lobisomem says he got better performance, i believe him. Ace says he didn't, i believe him too. Them trying to convince each other that "what happens on my PC surely happens on yours too" is just looking funny :-P

Rjel
09-04-2011, 11:54 PM
http://www.arinsattic.com/images/aringallery/just_for_fun/WTF.jpg

Personally, I prefer my pancakes with bacon. Or my rabbit with carrots.

ACE-OF-ACES
09-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Ace says he didn't, i believe him too.
Just to be crystal.. I never said that

Them trying to convince each other that "what happens on my PC surely happens on yours too" is just looking funny
Them?

No, only LoBiSoMeM was trying to convicne others that what happens on his PC should be happing on others..

And anyone that disagreed with him got treated pretty badly by him.

MoGas
09-05-2011, 05:11 AM
I dont care what the 22mb was lol, I have better FPS less stutter and my soundbug is gone too for some reason. I can play now with trees ON in the video settings.

"ATI user"