PDA

View Full Version : Why doesn't the Manual mention how to fly the Spitfire?

Snacko
08-28-2011, 02:17 AM
On pg 83 of the manual it describes the Spit and has a few charts on the next page describing it's flight characteristics, but nothing else. The other aircraft have all kinds of info, like Startup, takeoff, climb, cruise, landing and other procedures. (some others don't have startup procedures)

Is there some reason this is left out for this aircraft? :confused:
Seems like these basics would be helpful for all aircraft...

NedLynch
08-28-2011, 05:00 AM
Sticky in the forum, aircraft operations checklist, you might find it helpful.

Blackdog_kt
08-28-2011, 08:59 AM
What the above poster said. Also, the Spitfire has the same engine as the Hurricane so the same operating limits would apply.

Snacko
08-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Thanks guys. That was helpful... I was albe to takeoff, but kept getting blown oil gasket and punctured radiator hoses, and oil all over my cockpit 30 secs after takeoff. I'll checkout that new list and the Hurri info..

Thx,
Snack

whoarmongar
08-28-2011, 02:57 PM
If your blowing rads and head gaskets your doing something seriously wrong. OVERHEATING.

Watch your temps. It can be taxiing thats the problem, use your brakes to help steer on the ground, your aim, once your engine is started is to get off the ground ASAP.

As soon as your temp aproaches 40* get going.

As soon as your airbourne get your gear up, stay low to pick up speed and switch to coarse pitch. NOW your revs will be to low perhaps less than 2000, but look at the temp gauge, Your temps will be plummeting with coarse pitch and full open rads the temp will drop amazingly. perhaps down to 40*.
Now you can close the rads a bit,play with it see how it affects the temps.
In coarse pitch level flight you may have it open as little as 10% perfectly safely.

To recap.

At the moment your low slow in coarse pitch. your aim should be to climb and gain speed. BUT now your temps should be OK. your choice is a gradual pickup in coarse pitch of speed and altitude. or you could point the nose a bit steeper switch back to fine pitch and climb in steps.
In fine pitch full revs low altitude its easy to overstress the engine, open the rads and watch the temps.
At higher altitudes in fine pitch its easy to overrev the engine watch your revs.
You see the difference ?
Low altitude = denser air, warmer temps.
High altitude= thinner air lower temps.
By now it may be starting to dawn on you that its all a balancing act.
In the same way your having to balance your inputs into the flight controls, your also having to balance your engine controls throttle/prop/cooling.
As you change throttle and prop this will affect the torque effect on your aircraft, so to fly hands free you will be constantly changing your trim.

It sounds more complicated than it is. Very soon it becomes second nature.
Its well worth mastering, as this is the beating heart of this sim.
Persevere and enjoy, becouse its worth it.

NedLynch
08-29-2011, 01:46 AM
All of the above and the fuel mixture.

In the operating limits I think you will find the procedure for the mixture.
I find that for starting the engine setting the mixture to rich is good but then I set it to lean pretty much right away (going to verify this, don't fly the Spit too often) to have the engine running with nice even and undisturbed rpms.

You can see the difference better in midfilght, set the throttle to 75 - 50% and play with the fuel mixture while observing your rpms.

The best way to get used to starting and taking off in any plane is the cross country mission from the quick missions, just choose your plane and practice without any kind of pressure until it's second nature.

Also at airwarfair.com in the forum you can find videos for start up procedures...or just go to youtube and search for cliffs of dover, startup or something similar to that.

pupo162
08-29-2011, 10:49 AM
the manual hasnt got much on hte spitty, becosue special edition have a 20 page book on how to fly the spittie. its actually the only plane in gmae who comes with proper information on how to fly.

TomcatViP
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
the manual hasnt got much on hte spitty, becosue special edition have a 20 page book on how to fly the spittie. its actually the only plane in gmae who comes with proper information on how to fly.

It Might be because in the old IL2 edition the Spit was the only pane that didn't need any flying knowledge to perform in :|:rolleyes:

Aaahhh old jokes ...;-)