PDA

View Full Version : Something to keep you busy

rkirk77
08-27-2011, 01:04 PM
Shelf the game (..as i did 3 months ago) and check this game out!

World of Tanks (http://www.worldoftanks.com)

It's a great game for killing time and the gameplay is AWESOME!

PS, I know how everyone feels about the the game not being completed (or as i call it.. a "PAY-TA".. ie, a game you paid for and expected to be completed, but is really just a BETA.)

Jaws2002
08-27-2011, 02:01 PM
Nah. I rather fly. The wrld loks better from above.

FlyingShark
08-27-2011, 02:35 PM
Nah. I rather fly. The wrld loks better from above.
+1, You're also into Rise of Flight don't you? The SPAD VII is comming one of these days. Hope to see you in the sky soon.

~S~

Jaws2002
08-27-2011, 02:55 PM
+1, You're also into Rise of Flight don't you? The SPAD VII is comming one of these days. Hope to see you in the sky soon.

~S~

There were only two planes invented by man, that would take me out of my Nieuport 28, IAR-80 and FW-190 and none of them are coming to RIse of Flight.:lol:

Jaws2002
08-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Have to admit tho. I was neglecting Rise of Flight for few months. :(

Real world can be such a bitch sometimes.:(

Fjordmonkey
08-27-2011, 10:07 PM
I've been playing World of Tanks since before launch (was a Beta-tester). It's enjoyable, but you'll have to deal with a LOT of idiots during the weekend.

If you ever find yourself on the US servers, look up Fjordmonkey (aka me) and toss me a word :P

rkirk77
08-27-2011, 10:30 PM
Contacting now!! LOL.. I need an Ally BAD!

drewpee
08-28-2011, 04:16 AM
Don't know about the game but the trailers are very funny and original.:grin:

speculum jockey
08-28-2011, 02:26 PM
This right here is why I will never play World of Tanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwLGYBR7xw&feature=related

I can understand not wanting to have "one shot kills" because it would scare off a lot of people, but come on!

Fjordmonkey
08-28-2011, 02:30 PM

I can understand not wanting to have "one shot kills" because it would scare off a lot of people, but come on!

That's an IS7vsMaus. Basically the top two tanks on the german and russian heavy-trees. Both trying to penetrate eachother's front armor. You've got more luck in sinking USS Nimitz using a .50 cal M2 than actually getting through the front-armor.

This is also a 2vs2 fight. Trust me, in a 15vs15 fight, neither would have survived that long in the open if either team was competent.

theOden
08-28-2011, 02:52 PM
Tried WoT ages ago but the extreme arcade approach made me even prefer playing Tiger vs T34 with the monitor turned off.

As one of the dev's from "americas army" is involved I was expecting MUCH more. Obviously they aim for quick bucks on instant.gratification generation instead. :(

Anvilfolk
08-28-2011, 05:02 PM
So, how "free" to play is it really? I've heard different opinions - people that have wasted more money in this than they have on CoD, for instance, but some people still say it's free.

Do you need to invest money to be competitive?

ARM505
08-28-2011, 05:04 PM
I had to uninstall WOT due to terminal levels of frustration. I could play ok-ish (I was nothing special as a player, look me up on the EU server, not too terrible but hey :) ), but the game is just so utterly random, and sometimes the game REALLY hates you with it's random dice rolls. Fire at side armour of tank with decent gun - 'That one just bounced!', X3. Arty hits, tracks are destroyed with EVERY SINGLE SHOT, random ammo rack explosions etc etc etc.

Reinstalled T34 vs Tiger, Steel Fury, and Steel Beasts Pro PE....aaaaaaaaaah, much better!

I strongly recommend NOT to install World of Tanks. IMHO. And don't let the 'oh, but it's free!' make ANY impression whatsoever - yeah sure, it's free IF you like to grind and grind like a motherf***** :-D

Edit to add: I'll make one recommendation if you can't resist it - DO NOT go above Tier 2 tanks. My most consistent fun, every time, was with my little PzII. By lightyears.....still not enough to keep it though.

Fjordmonkey
08-28-2011, 05:06 PM
So, how "free" to play is it really? I've heard different opinions - people that have wasted more money in this than they have on CoD, for instance, but some people still say it's free.

Nope, you don't need money to be competitive. To be honest, buying a Gold-tank (premium-tanks that you have to pay RL money for) just makes you a target. And if you don't understand the basics, you won't do good when you get up in the tiers.

If you DO choose to go premium, however, you will see that you gain more XP and credits per match, which again will let you rise up the tech-trees faster. But it's by no means a necessity, you just spend a bit more time on it.

The thing to remember, though, is that WoT attracts the scum of the online world as a general rule. You also have to take it for what it is: An arcadish approach to WWII Tank-combat. It's not in any way true to realism, it has the odd quirk and strange behaviour, but despite that it's still a fun way to pass some time while you wait for something different to come. Just don't expect it to be anything like Steel Beasts etc.

rkirk77
08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Gold Tanks are the "Fast and Easy" answer.. but not really, because they are extremely limited at the same time. They are actually the WORST in every class if you ask my opinion as they cannot be upgraded and are extremely slow.

Baron
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Nope, you don't need money to be competitive. To be honest, buying a Gold-tank (premium-tanks that you have to pay RL money for) just makes you a target. And if you don't understand the basics, you won't do good when you get up in the tiers.

If you DO choose to go premium, however, you will see that you gain more XP and credits per match, which again will let you rise up the tech-trees faster. But it's by no means a necessity, you just spend a bit more time on it.

The thing to remember, though, is that WoT attracts the scum of the online world as a general rule. You also have to take it for what it is: An arcadish approach to WWII Tank-combat. It's not in any way true to realism, it has the odd quirk and strange behaviour, but despite that it's still a fun way to pass some time while you wait for something different to come. Just don't expect it to be anything like Steel Beasts etc.

I did get the premium account (9.95 euros for 30 days) to climb a bit faster in the tech trees.

I realized that thats what keeps me coming back playing it, to get that upgraded gun, or the more powerful engine.

Having to deal with "idiots" in the public matches is a necessary eveil getting there, lol.

Another reason i play it is because its very easy getting online playing for 15 min and the end the game. If it where for ex IL2 Sturmovik u could easily waste an hour without anything happening what so ever.

rkirk77
08-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Baron : Totally agree.. It's addictive and always brings you back for those upgraded parts!

Fjordmonkey
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Having to deal with "idiots" in the public matches is a necessary eveil getting there, lol.

I have a nice way of dealing with people that behave like utter muppets. I note down their names on a little list, and any time I come across those people, I go after them specifically and relentlessly.

Childish? Quite possibly. But it's both insanely satisfying AND hilarious when they go into a rage because you scrogged them for the 5th time running.

I also tend to deliberately taunt the ones that cannot or will not behave. While also childish, it's often quite a lot more fun than the game itself. It brings a special kind of satisfaction to first kill someone and then have their entire team turn on them when they start behaving like children.

Ataros
08-29-2011, 12:54 PM

Yes. Seriously played it with 2 people from my squad waiting for CloD to come out for about 6-8 months. Spent the cost of CloD every 6 weeks. It was fun though :grin:

But... you can have the same fun with PzII and AT-1 on low levels if you stick to them and it is free. But... the game is designed to make an impression you gain something by going to higher levels and spending money. You just can not resist unless you are a yogi.

It is much easier to wait for CloD patches than to the next tank upgrade that you can buy 'just' for $15 NOW :grin:

Anyone who is going to start playing WoPlanes or WoWarplanes get your wallets ready :)

Do not say you were not warned. :grin:

SNAFU
08-29-2011, 02:31 PM
Or go play Navyfield. Is basically the same rip off, but slower. Tried WoT for 5 Minutes put it was too hectically for me eyes and confusing rushing around. Guess I am getting old. ;)

I still play Navyfield once a month just to kill 15minutes and I still wonder about some players I see and which are proud of spending 800€ just see themselves in the top ten of a stupid PC game. :rolleyes:

Strike
08-29-2011, 04:24 PM
This is really off topic now (Should be in pilot's lounge). But if you wanna kill some time without paying too much money, and you already have a COD monster-rig you should look at some of these titles:

ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead (Combined Operations)

- The default game supersedes most infantry/tank/aerial shooters out there, and emphasizes tactics and realism more than most "popular" shooters (like the battlefield series, modern warfare, rainbow six). But to get the full realism potential out of it you need some mods (btw mods make arma what it is. The ultimate sandbox warfare sim - you can have russians fighting clone wars troopers from starwars, or pilot an A-10 strafing taliban IED teams).

The mod for me is A.C.E. - Advanced Combat Environment. It adds a whole bunch of weapons, vehicles and features whilst removing nearly all "HUD" items. It adds wind deflection, and for long range sniping you can adjust the sights by measuring wind strength and direction. Add on top of that the mod called ACRE (Advanced Combat Radio Environment) which coordinates teamspeak with ingame radio systems. That means the game decides who hears what over teamspeak, and that through the use of radio systems. They all have frequencies etc even volume buttons. The cons are that if playing online there's a little (sometimes a lot) of visual LAG. Players seem to jitter around, so does vehicles. But you can live with that mostly since a lot of situations depend on the way you approach the objective. It's not meant to be a close quarters hair-trigger battle, but a long range tactical engagement where surprise is the best attack.

This mod is very well coupled with a realistic soundmod and then you have very very very good immersion. Also has a powerful editor that lets you create your own or tamper with existing missions. Just made one where you start inside a C130 at 15,000 ft and choose your equipment from some crates in the cargo hold. Once you're ready you run off the ramp and that initiates a free-fall dive. Of course you need to remember to pack a chute ;)

Speaking of tanks the armor code is very good in ACE. You can penetrate light armor and houses, walls etc with .50 cal, taking out crew or ammunition storages. Some guns like the one on the Bradley IFV have a variety of munition types, so you can fire Armour piercing or High explosive. High explosive deals more damage to soft targets naturally, whilst armour piercing can punch through even heavy armour. The angle of impact and location and projectile energy all count towards what penetration value you get and how this damages the interior of the tank.

Example of bailout sequence with ACE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-olG4yFcwgo&feature=related

Some ACE with ACRE teamwork :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dxjkXGXII

Then there's another timekiller:

SPAZ, Space Pirates And Zombies. It's cheap and has hours of fun packed into it. It features a decent selection of ships and equipment with loads of configurations. It's only in it's first release candidate and havn't encountered any bugs yet, but it's easy fun!

Rise of Flight:

Naturally a pretty flightsim, in no means a "rival" to cod because of the scope of the games. Sometimes WW1 is like fighting with sticks and stones when you know there's an alternative that has heavy machineguns and some real payloads in the bombbay. It's my "deathmatch" type game, whilst IL-2 is more serious to me.

Mount and Blade:

Played this for hours and hours. Big sandbox world with a handful of factions. Whoever is at war or are allied is completely random by default, but can be influenced by actions of the player. It's a "300" style game with slaughtering up close, or from a distance by archery that includes a large RPG level up system with plenty of skills and proficiencies to choose from. I am currently one of the "viking's" faction most trusted warriors and kindof singlehandedly obliterated two factions already. You travel the country, embark upon quests and gather food, trade and recruits along the way. There's random Tournaments with different styles according to the local culture etc. Graphics are kindof mediocre, but the ability to switch between first person/3rd person allows for great immersion. Also many good mods out there.

WWBayonet
08-29-2011, 04:52 PM
"The thing to remember, though, is that WoT attracts the scum of the online world as a general rule."

HEY!!!
I resemble that remark.

mazex
08-30-2011, 06:42 AM
In a nerdish place like this admitting that you like WoT is like saying you like Brittney Spears in an experimental Jazz forum ;)

Still i do admit that I like it to for some fast arcade action in an interesting setting, and the tank models and number of tanks is rather impressive (even though many never got off the drawing board).

What sums up WoT though is that my 9 year old son has an IS3 and plays as well as most other players out there... He has a best score of 8 kills and regualarly score in the 1500 xp range. He still keeps a BT2 "as it's so fun playing with the noobs on tier 2 that don't understand tactics so you get 4-5 kills every other round". And most of those noobs are 15+ years ;)

If he spent the same time in IL2 online he maybe would get to a 0.1 k/D ratio :)

/mazex

Baron
08-30-2011, 04:02 PM
"Problem" with WoT is that 90% is pure chance/toss up and 10% is skill.

To many things to list why that is but tactics in public matches for ex. is non existent unless u get lucky with the random team/match maker.

I haven't check it thoroughly but id bet that pretty much everybody has a 50/50 win/lose ratio or thereabouts.

The entire game is set up so it "forces" people to get the best in the thought that u would do better that way (meaning: pay alot of money if you aren`t very patient) when it in reality it makes no differance what so ever if u have the biggest and meanest tank around, u will still die if u are in the "utter moron team" against "i have 2 brain cells team".

Other than that its fun, lol :)

P.S. I have a IS-3 to ;)

DK-nme
08-30-2011, 10:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIwLGYBR7xw&feature=related

Yes, the game-play stinks and one can't get any far without using a heck of a lot of money (buying gold).
And yes, russian tanks are just better than anything else - were have we seen that before???
:rolleyes:

mazex
08-31-2011, 06:38 AM
"Problem" with WoT is that 90% is pure chance/toss up and 10% is skill.

To many things to list why that is but tactics in public matches for ex. is non existent unless u get lucky with the random team/match maker.

I haven't check it thoroughly but id bet that pretty much everybody has a 50/50 win/lose ratio or thereabouts.

The entire game is set up so it "forces" people to get the best in the thought that u would do better that way (meaning: pay alot of money if you aren`t very patient) when it in reality it makes no differance what so ever if u have the biggest and meanest tank around, u will still die if u are in the "utter moron team" against "i have 2 brain cells team".

Other than that its fun, lol :)

P.S. I have a IS-3 to ;)

I agree completely, but after a tough day at work it's rather good to have some no brains action, and it definately fits me better than a death match in Modern Warfare...

Regarding tactics it's really true that it's amazing how bad people cooperate in WoT. I have played platoon with my son and a friend of his to try to teach them how to play (and they naturally love when dad joins their ranks) . We have used teakspeak and when I lead and the kids follow orders we can wreak havoc on most occasions. I remember one time when we all had our Leo's and where in the upper level of a match (rare with the Leo but if a platoon of three joins it's not that rare) .... I got five kills, my son got five and his friend got one and a lot of damage. We practically won the game on our own by staying real tight and keeping the number of enemies able to return fire simultaneously low. And that was with two nine year olds and a slow 41 year old ;)

And yes, I have an IS3 myself ;) Just got the BL9 with gun laying drive, stabilizer and rammer. You can't have a worse tank than the kids so a lot of gold naturally went into getting it using all shortcuts they cleverly put in to get our real money :)

It's good that I can use my son as an excuse to play it, and I hope my wife does not understand how much gold we have bought...

/mazex