PDA

View Full Version : CoD alternative?

Tbone81
08-25-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi.

I was just wondering.

Is there any other flight sim where so many things are simulated and modeled?

DB605
08-25-2011, 05:59 PM
Rise Of Flight, ROF but it's about WW1.

JG27CaptStubing
08-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Hi.

I was just wondering.

Yes it's called IL2 1946 if you're into WWII avaition. If you want a very solid sim with many many things modeled look into DCS A10.

Strike
08-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Rise Of Flight, ROF but it's about WW1.

Yes, I play Rise of Flight a lot, but end up feeling it's more a game than a sim now that CoD is out. I occasionally bring out RoF for some "quick action" (although WW1 fighters are all but quick) :) It's a great game for training to use track IR :) (lots of insanely close combat - you'll smell when your enemy soils himself).

Otherwise DCS Blackshark / A10 are pretty realistic.

skouras
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
or go for BOB Wings of Victory II
You're gonna love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNYm8kBmecQ

Anvilfolk
08-25-2011, 06:22 PM
Another vote for DCS A-10.

1946 is great, and I still fly it mostly because my computer can't handle CoD and I really love the Pacific theatre. However, both CoD and the DCS series are some steps ahead of it.

One of the things about DCS A-10 is that there's always something to do. There are so, so many systems and options, and you're configuring stuff before combat, spooling up systems, looking for targets, setting up weapons profiles and waypoints/marks etc. That's one thing I really miss in 1946 these days, having something to do while on-route to target.

Towarisch
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
YES 1946 IL Sturmovik with Ultra Pack 2.0 or 3.0 is a very good alternative to COD. Or Battle of Britain II. Where my favorit is IL Sturmovik. Thats the best Sim ever. Best Modders, best clients etc..........

CWMV
08-25-2011, 08:13 PM
IL2 '46+UP3 and DBW.
Not an alternative, but really superior.

ATAG_Doc
08-25-2011, 08:53 PM
My alternative to CoD or when the internet goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERSqmxTynYo

MadTommy
08-25-2011, 09:43 PM
DCS Blackshark & DCS A10c are light years ahead of anything else right now. Make Clod look like an arcade game.

Rise of Flight is also excellent.

machoo
08-25-2011, 10:42 PM
DCS Blackshark & DCS A10c are light years ahead of anything else right now. Make Clod look like an arcade game.

Rise of Flight is also excellent.

Exactly.

But if you run it in full realism it will take you 10mins to take off going through all the procedures.

Blackdog_kt
08-26-2011, 04:43 AM
Hi.

I was just wondering.

Alternatives in general? Sure, there's lots of them to suite everyone's taste, the rest of the guys in the thread have given some good advice.

As for the part in bold letters? Not so much i think.

The only place where you'll find aircraft systems modeling and their inter-connected nature simulated to an extent similar to or even higher than that of CoD, is certain FSX add-on aircraft by specific publishers (A2A for older aircraft, PMDG for modern airliners and a few other companies).

DCS A-10 is about a jet and it's more complicated by nature, so it might be a similar in that regard (can't judge it because i haven't tried it). Other than that, it's either CoD or FSX plus 3rd party payware add-ons that cost a minimum of $30-$40 per aircraft if you want to experience how the stuff that makes an aircraft fly really works.

In other words, there's no other combat sim with propeller driven aircraft that tracks anywhere between 200-400 parameters and damageable components for the player's aircraft, only a modern jet sim and specific add-ons for a civilian sim.

Skoshi Tiger
08-26-2011, 05:18 AM
DCS A-10 is a study sim for a single aircraft - the A-10C so if your not into modern ground attack procedures or A-10's (I am by the way) you really can't count it as an alternative.

Also to get the most out of it you really need to invest in some serious HOTAS gear.
Until I got my Thrustmaster Warthog setup and Cougar MDF's I was having to use the Active pause to actually target anything.

It is really neat to stick the cougars on a second monitor an have the multifunction displays showing through them. It really makes the game immersive.

I haven't played multilayer in A10 yet but they were promising to make Black Shark compatible in multilayer with it. Have they done that yet? If your into Air to air combat your limited by the choice of plane.

ROF is a good flight sim if your into WWI planes, and the basic game is free so you couldn't complain about the price tag. Also if you look out for the specials you can build up a nice little stable of your favorite WWI planes on the cheap.

Don't expect a parachute though! They don't call us the '20 Minuters' for nothing! WOOF!

Cheers!

Danelov
08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Battle of Britain Wings of Victory.

Ze-Jamz
08-26-2011, 10:49 AM
That's one thing I really miss in 1946 these days, having something to do while on-route to target.

Dont know if anyone has told you Anvilfolk me ol m8 but ww2 fighters didnt have
a Westernhouse radar, Texas instruments, navigation and weapon systems to play around with :)

I think you had a map, a note pad and a photo of your sweetheart back then

~S~

Tbone81
08-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Alternatives in general? Sure, there's lots of them to suite everyone's taste, the rest of the guys in the thread have given some good advice.

As for the part in bold letters? Not so much i think.

The only place where you'll find aircraft systems modeling and their inter-connected nature simulated to an extent similar to or even higher than that of CoD, is certain FSX add-on aircraft by specific publishers (A2A for older aircraft, PMDG for modern airliners and a few other companies).

DCS A-10 is about a jet and it's more complicated by nature, so it might be a similar in that regard (can't judge it because i haven't tried it). Other than that, it's either CoD or FSX plus 3rd party payware add-ons that cost a minimum of $30-$40 per aircraft if you want to experience how the stuff that makes an aircraft fly really works.

In other words, there's no other combat sim with propeller driven aircraft that tracks anywhere between 200-400 parameters and damageable components for the player's aircraft, only a modern jet sim and specific add-ons for a civilian sim.

Hi..

That is exactly what i mean Blackdog.

I have been playing a lot of FSX "PMDG 747-400", but it has never punished my for making any wrong choices" other that forgetting landing gear and other obvious things;-)"

Anyone can take control of any aircraft in fsx, take off and fly for hours. Landing could be a problem, but he would properly manage that as well, without ILS of course;-)

I have never tried IL2 1946, RoF or DCS A-10.

Tbone81
08-26-2011, 11:18 AM
The complexity and engine management is what i love the most about CoD, so that "is for me" a very important factor.

Just to clearify, Im not looking for a alternativ. I´m just trying to set things in perspective;-)

I am sorry if any of you feel that i have wasted your time by not beeing clear enough, when i created this post.

Ze-Jamz
08-26-2011, 11:36 AM
I have never tried IL2 1946, RoF or DCS A-10.

I suggest you try the original 1946 with Ultrapack3 installed wich gives you loads and loads more content and updates..the cost is very cheap for it too

RoF if you like the ww1 era and again its a free download which allows you to play online or offline with 2 aircraft i believe...if you want more aircraft and mods you can pay for them as downloadable content (DLC)

~S~