PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything the G50 can do good?

Winger
08-21-2011, 04:01 PM
I just flew it and its slow, cant turn tight, breaks fast... Pretty *peeep*. Anyone that can confirm or say anything diffrent?

Besides. It takes ages to heat up. Pretty useless if you ask me. I think you cant even catch a bomber with it:)

Feels more like a G500 ;-) For those that know the fiat 500...

Winger

Bokononist
08-21-2011, 04:09 PM
Good thing number 1: Suprise the hell out of anyone who gets jumped by it!
Good thing number 2: Actually sounds quite nice compared with other planes in game!(hopefully not for much longer).

skouras
08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
anyone knows how close is to compare of the real one
speed
altitude
FM

JG4_Helofly
08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
Well, it can do nice crashes :)

RCAF_FB_Orville
08-21-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes its rubbish Winger mate (are you the Winger of 'ROF'? Had some good dog fights with you in the past if so.....DR1 fiend lol) but undermodelled like almost everything else. Still hardly a stellar fighter though in any event.

PS edit your *naughty word* quickly Winger or you'll get banned. Not that it bothers me.....ITS FOR THE KIDS>>>>SAVE THE CHILDREN!!! :grin: Kids these days know more swear words than me anyway. Or maybe that just applies in Newcastle. :grin:

Vengeanze
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I've got a Fiat 500. It's great to park with in the city, doesn't need much fuel and besides all it's BEAUTIFUL and kewl.
Driving? Nahh.

skouras
08-21-2011, 04:46 PM
I've got a Fiat 500. It's great to park with in the city, doesn't need much fuel and besides all it's BEAUTIFUL and kewl.
Driving? Nahh.

hahahahahahaha
exactly :-P

Rickusty
08-21-2011, 06:19 PM
The G.50 was a crap in real life, and it's a crap in the sim as well.
The thing though, is that it looks like the plane is missing about 200+HP (there was a discussion about this some times ago), so its performance is really sub-par.

Now... why did the Regia Aeronautica choose to adopt such an ungainly, modest and even dangerous fighter plane can't be explained.
Especially since the real winner of the Fighter plane tender of 1936 was the superior and actually very good Macchi C.200.

Fiat was a huge competitor and represented a huge industrial actor,so just think of the most obscure behind-the-scenes actions(bribes), and just do the math :grin:

Cheers
Rick

p.s. Maybe I was too crude, but boy, do I hate Fiat...

ElAurens
08-21-2011, 08:29 PM
I agree, the G50 was as big of a failure as the new Cinquecento will be in the North American market.

Be sure.

hunter1
08-21-2011, 08:37 PM
" in the north American market " ........new 500

JG53Frankyboy
08-21-2011, 08:41 PM
at least it is a nice trainer :D for CoD with its CEM an trimm for all axis.....
just a pitty its magnetos and fuelcocks dont work.

but in general, IMHO to ad these italian planes was a waste of time, having in mind how late they appeared 1940 and how low there influence was.........
the whole work should have been put into Wellington cockpits instead!

Jaws2002
08-21-2011, 08:45 PM
at least it is a nice trainer :D for CoD with its CEM an trimm for all axis.....
just a pitty its magnetos and fuelcocks dont work.

but in general, IMHO to ad these italian planes was a waste of time, having in mind how late they appeared 1940 and how low there influence was.........

+1

Wellington should have been there as flyable from the start. Welly and Dornier first, then exotic planes.

ATAG_Doc
08-21-2011, 09:02 PM
I just flew it and its slow, cant turn tight, breaks fast... Pretty shitty. Anyone that can confirm or say anything diffrent?

Besides. It takes ages to heat up. Pretty useless if you ask me. I think you cant even catch a bomber with it:)

Feels more like a G500 ;-) For those that know the fiat 500...

Winger

kamikaze?

winny
08-21-2011, 09:32 PM
It seems to me that the thing that the G50 does best is kill Itallian Pilots.
It's fantastic at that.

Winger
08-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Yes its rubbish Winger mate (are you the Winger of 'ROF'? Had some good dog fights with you in the past if so.....DR1 fiend lol) but undermodelled like almost everything else. Still hardly a stellar fighter though in any event.

PS edit your *naughty word* quickly Winger or you'll get banned. Not that it bothers me.....ITS FOR THE KIDS>>>>SAVE THE CHILDREN!!! :grin: Kids these days know more swear words than me anyway. Or maybe that just applies in Newcastle. :grin:

Yes, i am Winger from ROF. The DR Jockey:) Nice to meet you here. Ill edit it. Thanks for the tip.

Winger

Feathered_IV
08-21-2011, 11:51 PM
Funny thing is, the G.50 did not even see any action in the Battle of Britain. It was all the Fiat CR42. Which of course is not flyable. A very stupid decision

Blackdog_kt
08-22-2011, 12:05 AM

I think they just saw a historically accurate chance to introduce a couple of aircraft that would be useful for a future Mediterranean/N.Africa add-on and took it.

Don't know if it's underpowered in terms of HP per specific power settings but what it's actually missing is it's WEP setting and we all know WEP in CoD is a temporary thing, so i don't expect a lot of performance improvements.

That's pretty much accurate however, in one case a few of them were scrambled against a Blenheim that was overflying their airfield in Belgium through low cloud cover (either on a reconnaissance or a lone intruder mission) and they couldn't catch it.

What is it good for then? Set up a QMB mission against some gladiators and see for yourself, it's actually pretty good fun ;-)

caprera
08-22-2011, 08:02 AM
Fiat was a huge competitor and represented a huge industrial actor,so just think of the most obscure behind-the-scenes actions(bribes), and just do the math :grin:
That's not far from the truth, as it was somewhat hard to force FIAT to produce Macchi 202 as well even if was proved beyond any doubt that it was clearly superior...

justme262
08-22-2011, 09:00 AM
WAIT! It's got a pair of 50cals ! They even have incendiary-HE rounds if you load em... of course a 50 cal is too small to really bother with HE, and the G50 couldn't catch a Blenheim so not much you can do about that.

The camo paint job looked pretty cool in the Italian papers at the time i guess...

JG53Frankyboy
08-22-2011, 11:39 AM
I think they just saw a historically accurate chance to introduce a couple of aircraft that would be useful for a future Mediterranean/N.Africa add-on and took it.

;-)

yep, and the next adon will be easterfront (most propably far away from the finnish front) :D
anyway, even for an MTO these two FIATs are not the first choice IMHO ........
but, its done , it already happened,so.......

6S.Manu
08-22-2011, 12:30 PM
yep, and the next adon will be easterfront (most propably far away from the finnish front) :D

And again and again... a bad project management...

Ahhh... dear old Italy... :-(

Blackdog_kt
08-22-2011, 01:10 PM

Actually, the med was considered as the first add-on for a very long time. In fact i think that the Moscow add-on was said to be out-sourced to another team once the work on the game engine is complete.

I could be wrong or things could have changed in the meantime, but the initial plan up until the computer expo in Moscow last year was for the development team to do the BoB and Med/N.Africa, while other teams (possibly sharing some of the staff and know-how) would do Moscow and Korea once the game engine was stable.

150GCT_Veltro
08-22-2011, 02:00 PM
That's not far from the truth, as it was somewhat hard to force FIAT to produce Macchi 202 as well even if was proved beyond any doubt that it was clearly superior...

Correct.

Fiat didn't accept to produce Macchi 202 and in 1943, Cr-42 was still in production.....

About the italians in the BoB, is not a waste of time but only an idea to introduce the desertic addon. As said above, Cr-42 would have been better, because it did fight over England, G-50 didn't at all because of fuel limitation.

However i would have prefer myself an E4 instead of a G-50, this for sure.

Edit: forget about Mediterranean theatre, forget about Malta.

ElAurens
08-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Well, if we had the aircraft, and maps, you could use the BR 20 in China. The Imperial Japanese operated a squadron of them there that they purchased from Italy.

Just a suggestion.

:cool:

Rickusty
08-28-2011, 07:04 AM
Our pilots really were a brave lot, having to fight for 4 years of war with mostly obsolete fighters against such a foe as the RAF.
We had a great aviation during the spanish civil war. Our main problem was the lack of a good national liquid cooled V-12 high-powered engine
for our fighters. Our fighters had to rely on a low powered Fiat radial engine for most of the war.
I remember reading once that Ing.Mario Casoldi, the "father" of the C.20x series and the man who created the fastest ever sea-plane , the MC-72, once said that Fiat created their engines in "mule-power" instead of "horse-power"...

IIRC Fiat just didn't want to produce the C.202, arguing that the plane was "too complicated" and that it required too many hours for a single specimen to be completed. Which in fact was quite correct, but Macchi airplanes were in general great machines, and it's a shame that so few were produced.

This (http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=20569) is the "G.50 problems" thread, if anyone wants to have a look btw.

I just hope we will have the opportunity to fly the Falco for simply four reasons:

1) It really was an amazing biplane fighter and quite aggressive looking as well, which isn't a bad thing :cool:
It was a well designed fighter plane, loved by its pilots (who in turn, loathed the G.50...)
2) At least we will have maneuverability on our side against the RAF and speed was almost the same as the G.50 so...
3) It actually was the only fighter type that saw actions in the BoB
4) We could create some cool Glad/Falco fights

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/photos/3/4/3/1354343.jpg

Cheers
Rick