PDA

View Full Version : STEAM NOOB Needs help

Caveman
08-21-2011, 04:00 PM
PEr subject... I've been an ardent supporter of the IL-2 series and got many great years of enjoyment out of the sim.

I've been out of simming for about 4 years but I'm getting ready to come back in...

I want to pay a "good" price for COD despite the complaints it's not done, etc... I'm confident it will be the best WWII offering for years to come as the developers have already made great strides in a few short months...

All that said, I'm a noob at steam and have no idea how it works... My main concern is that if I buy the game now, can I keep the download code around forever to download it when I want instead of "now"?

I'm on the Ubisoft website (using a birthday coupon for $10 off) and it implies that software will be installed on the machine I download from etc...

Ideally, I just want to buy the right to download it now and then download it later on the machine of choice, etc... And what if I switch PCs? Then What?

Can anyone guide me along on what to do in this situation?

NedLynch
08-21-2011, 07:22 PM
Sorry I don't have a direct answer to that question, I bought the game from Steam and the way it works there is once you have it it's registered and even if you uninstall it/want to install it on a different comp later it's always there for you.
On a different comp all that matters is that you have to install the steam client there too of course and log into your steam account and all your games will be in your library to redownload on your new comp.
I would suggest contacting Steam support with this particular situation since you are buying the game from ubisoft directly, but since you purchased it, it is yours.
My guess is maybe you would have to log into your ubisoft account on a new comp to download it and then register with steam. All that should matter to online sellers should be you logging into the account that was used to purchase the game, no matter when or on what computer you want to install it.

Troll2k
08-21-2011, 07:52 PM
I am not sure about Ubisoft.I think I read somewhere you have a limited number of free d/ls.

With Steam the game is tied to your account.Once registered it can be d/led infinite times(as long as Steam is around).it can also be put on multiple machines.(but you can only login to one at a time)

With some d/l sites you can get the code and d/l from Steam instead of their site.I am not sure about Ubi.com

Blackdog_kt
08-22-2011, 02:19 AM
I had a relative who was temporarily in the UK pick up a collector's edition for me (because it was unavailable where i live), open the box and e-mail me the cd-key.

Then, instead of waiting for the box to arrive in the mail i installed steam, created an account and pressed "add a game" at the bottom of the window. I entered the key for cliffs of Dover, it appeared in my list of purchased games and started downloading.

The initial order for the game was through Ubi UK so yes, you can buy from anywhere and still download directly from Steam as long as you have a product key to register the sim to your steam account.

Pieter Oberholzer
08-25-2011, 06:34 AM
I have bought and played all the games in the IL2 Sturmovik series of Combat Flight Simulators. The latest (Cliffs of Dover) were not available in South Africa, so I bought it whilst on holiday in Germany. It was very expensive at 49,99 Euros, and you had to register in a new disastrous new platform called 'Steam' to load it. This platform requires a lot of internet traffic which makes it difficult with my slow rural connection in SA. I first tried to test the game in Germany, but my hosts PC were too slow. On returning to SA on Tuesday I tried to install it, but the Steam platform would not let me. It said I was still logged in in Germany. I wrote to Steam Support, but received no reply or solution other than an automated response. My German host tried to delete the Steam software and game from his PC, but it resisted his efforts. All I want is to load and play my game that I bought. They must stop blocking my account and enable me. I think in an effort to combat piracy, that they have started to handicap their loyal clients in such a way as to commit piracy of a sort on them. As a loyal client I expect service! Please help if you can.

Caveman
09-09-2011, 01:43 AM
I'm still confused... Almost pulled the trigger on Ubisoft but... There are 2 "services" offered for more money:

1) BAckup disk

2) Extended download service (for 2 years). Hmm... I thought once I buy the game, I can Dload indefineitly for as long as I want from STEAM...? What is this 2 year stuff about?

Is STEAM the only way to play this game?

Troll2k
09-09-2011, 02:04 AM
Yes,you need Steam installed and account registered to play Cliffs Of Dover.

It is my understanding that if you buy the d/l it is there for you as long as Steam is still around.

I am not sure how Ubi is getting away with charging extra.

I have no idea what their backup service is.With Steam you can backup your game to DVD.It is in a proprietary format and can only be restored by Steam.I guess that is so you can not backup the game to DVD and give it to a friend.