PDA

View Full Version : Does a large 32" monitor / TV improve dot visibility..?

capt vertigo
08-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Can I expect better visibility if I go out and spring for a 40" led tv..?

Also, would my GeForce 560GTX run something like that with picture clarity..?

Thx

Mike

Vengeanze
08-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Apparently the higher the resolution the later you will see dots.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showthread.php?t=18473&highlight=visibility+dot

SacaSoh
08-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Bigger monitor size for same resolution = bigger pixel size (and dot pitch). So the answer is yes.

Edit: Just to clarify: suppose you have a 23" 1920x1080 monitor (like me). If you buy a 40" tv with same resolution (1920x1080) - same number of pixels: 2073600, how comes the screen is bigger? This is accomplished by a bigger pixel size.

icarus
08-19-2011, 09:19 PM
I don't have the aformentioned problems with dot visibility.:-D 30" LCD computer monitor beats TV big time. Virtually no dot pitch that you can see even up close on a my monitor. Fine detail is superb. Native res is 2650 x 1600.

capt vertigo
08-19-2011, 10:09 PM
That's prolly what I am looking for, Icarus..

What brand do u have, and how do u like it..?

speculum jockey
08-19-2011, 10:13 PM
You can not beat the larger Dell monitors. They are (in my opinion) the best bang for the buck when it comes to the larger end of Computer monitors. There are some professional grade beasts out there, but they're approaching $10,000 each. Dell or go home!

SiThSpAwN
08-19-2011, 11:19 PM
Just out of curiosity, what size monitor would be considered life size as far as your view in cockpit? Anyone know?

LoBiSoMeM
08-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Just out of curiosity, what size monitor would be considered life size as far as your view in cockpit? Anyone know?

360ยบ FOV monitor to project "real" 1:1 image size with "perfection".

If you use minor FOV, even 15" monitor can provide 1:1 cockpit image near "life size".

jimbop
08-20-2011, 12:06 AM
You can not beat the larger Dell monitors. They are (in my opinion) the best bang for the buck when it comes to the larger end of Computer monitors. There are some professional grade beasts out there, but they're approaching $10,000 each. Dell or go home!

+1, I always look around first but always end up buying Dell.

icarus
08-20-2011, 12:15 AM
That's prolly what I am looking for, Icarus..

What brand do u have, and how do u like it..?

Samsung SyncMaster 305T 30" LCD Monitor

I love it.:-D Once you get used to a 30" LCD monitor the TV's look like someone put a screen door in front of it (especially up close) because of the large dot pitch on TV's. You can get right up close to the screen on the syncmaster to pick out targets and the dot pitch is minute and barely viewable. That is why they cost more than TV's though. Mine cost $1200 IIRC vs $600 for a Sony 40 inch LCD TV.

I also have a 5' screen and high end DLP projector. While the scale is impressive and fun, I will trade the large scale for the quality of a 30" LCD computer monitor everytime. Size matters, but it isn't everything, especially if the cost is larger dot pitch. Others may find otherwise, but that is MHO.

capt vertigo
08-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Thx Icarus.

Sounds tempting...

Porsche
08-20-2011, 02:30 AM
I am currently using a 50" 3D Panasonic Plasma for my monitor. The resolution looks good. However I used to have an Apple 30" monitor and the ability to have higher resolution really does make a difference. I love the 50" however would like to have the higher resolution of the Apple 30" Cinema display. It depends on how much of a graphics whore you are ;)

zapatista
08-20-2011, 04:42 AM
one point to consider is that for a screen resolution of 2650 x 1600 (which at 30' will be an expensive monitor already) you will also need a monster pc with multiple high end gfx cards to push all those pixels (and even then most likely will need to turn down the gfx detail setting to try and keep decent fpsec)

pc monitors from 23' to 28' will tend to use a similar resolution of 1200 x 1920 (or 1080 x 1920), which is roughly 35% less pixels to drive, so they are much easier on your gfx card. my choice was to get a 27' monitor for that reason.

using a much larger screen with the same 1080 x 1920 resolution ( like a flatscreen 40' tv) from the same "pc monitor viewing distance" (roughly at arms length from your eyes) will mean the individual pixels on the screen will be much larger and will be visible to you as "pixel blocks", something which will degrade the whole visual experience. if you sit further away from that flatscreen tv to reduce this effect, you quickly arrive at a point of diminishing returns where sitting farther from a 40" screen will give you a similar field of view to what you would have if you sit closer to a 27 or 28' monitor on your pc desk.

many il2/cod users have used 32 to 40' screens and are very happy with them (and they sit reasonably close to them), its largely a matter of personal preference.

unreasonable
08-20-2011, 05:28 AM
I use a Sony 70" flatscreen TV for flight-sims (and other games where immersion in the game world is important). I sit about 2 metres away from the screen.

While you can get the same arc of view with a smaller screen placed closer to your eyes, I prefer this setup:

1) Because I need prescription glasses (myopia combining with long-sightedness as I age :(): so with a large screen placed further away I do not need a special set of prescription lenses just for that viewing distance, but can use my regular infinity set. Not a problem for you youngsters....yet, he he.

2) Compared with a closer, smaller screen the illusion of immersion in the game world is more compelling. I am not sure why this is so, unless perhaps it is because your brain "knows" it is looking at something close to you with a smaller screen, simply because the eye is focused at a short viewing distance.