PDA

View Full Version : ATI Catalyst 11.8 Is Out

Troll2k
08-18-2011, 12:54 AM
There is still no mention of a Clod profile.

Description:
This release of ATI Catalyst™ delivers support for the latest ATI CrossFireX™ profiles in a separate executable file ensuring users have access to the absolute latest set of profiles installed on their PC.

New profiles added to this release:
- War Inc Battle Zone: Improves CrossFire performance
- Rome Total War Alexander: Resolves image quality issues with CrossFire enabled
- Pirates of Black Cove: Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center has been disabled
- Anno 1404: Dawn of Discovery Game: Resolves image quality issues with CrossFire enabled
- Anima Redux Prius Online: Disables CrossFire support

Kodoss
08-18-2011, 07:55 AM
As long as Clod has some serious grafic issues (frame rate) its sensless to ask for a profile.

To remind you, grafic and sound engine are under revision. Which means its senseless to ask for a profile before the next patch is out.

Just have patience, my friend. :cool:

Flanker35M
08-18-2011, 05:51 PM
S!

Well, 11.8's seem to work fine in all other games though :)

jimbop
08-18-2011, 09:32 PM
As long as Clod has some serious grafic issues (frame rate) its sensless to ask for a profile.

To remind you, grafic and sound engine are under revision. Which means its senseless to ask for a profile before the next patch is out.

Just have patience, my friend. :cool:

I get the following FRAPS report from a dogfight (in cockpit, full real except anthropomorphic and icons) with the below settings. I don't think framerate has a serious problem - could do with further optimisation which hopefully is coming soon but not a serious problem.

Min 46
Max 53 (note vsync enabled)
Avg 49.989

(Click to enlarge)

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6182/6057379528_659f6f83e2_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/61319592@N06/6057379528/)

Rattlehead
08-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the head's up. AMD seem to be churning out drivers like hot cookies these days.

Jonk
08-19-2011, 01:16 AM
I get the following FRAPS report from a dogfight (in cockpit, full real except anthropomorphic and icons) with the below settings. I don't think framerate has a serious problem - could do with further optimisation which hopefully is coming soon but not a serious problem.

Min 46
Max 53 (note vsync enabled)
Avg 49.989

Lol, from the guy with an overclocked high end machine. That's like a person driving a Prius and saying gas prices don't suck......

jimbop
08-19-2011, 01:41 AM
Lol, from the guy with an overclocked high end machine. That's like a person driving a Prius and saying gas prices don't suck......

Point taken but I should clarify that when this test was run the CPU and GPU were both at stock clocks. I don't think a gtx480 is necessarily a top shelf card any more although still quick?

Blackdog_kt
08-19-2011, 02:25 AM
I'm still running 11.6 drivers (forgot to update last month) on this:
i7 920 @ stock 2.7 Ghz
Ati 4890 1GB
win7 x64
and a measly 3GB of RAM

It's a two year old, middle of the road PC and i get similar FPS to Jimbop with slightly lower minimums (FPS ranging between 30 and 60 except over London where i might get 25FPS), while running a higher resolution than he does (1680x1050) and in some cases higher detail settings than he does (i have forest on very low, land shading and model details on high, everything else on medium , grass/roads/shadows/vsync on, ssao off).

I think the problem is not lack of performance over the entire board but lack of consistency in performance between different PCs. Sometimes it's the different ways we setup our PCs that causes this, sometimes it's the fact that the code is "sensitive" to certain combinations of hardware and drivers.

I do expect the sim to work well for more people with the new graphics engine, but let's not assume the only way to run it adequately is with a monster, overclocked, 2-month old PC. It runs fine on mine and many others share similar experiences.

zipper
08-20-2011, 01:05 AM
Thanks for the head's up. AMD seem to be churning out drivers like hot cookies these days.

They've been releasing a new driver every month for quite some time now, actually.

The CrossfireX profiles are released independently but found on your driver page.

speculum jockey
08-20-2011, 02:54 AM
For all intents and purposes, Cliffs of Dover is a released Beta, with a very, very small share of the PC market. I doubt they are even showing up on ATI's radar right now. When the new graphics engine is up and running I'm sure Luthier will send them a notice saying, "hey, the engine is no longer a horrible mess, how about you take another look?"

Until then we're just going to have to keep trying other game profiles and see which one gives us the best results.

LT.INSTG8R
08-20-2011, 10:51 AM
Well I just wanted to add that the 11.7 CAP 1's added Xfire support for RoF so there is definitely hope of getting a proper profile for CLoD.

Blackdog_kt
08-20-2011, 01:02 PM
Judging by RoF's case (about two years before proper SLI/Xfire support, or was it more?), i guess it will be a long time coming before AMD provides a profile.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that the graphics engine in CoD is under overhaul all the time is also delaying things, i just don't think that even when CoD is in a stable state we will have that much of attention by the GPU companies.

It's the main reason i always go for single card setups, both in the past with nVidia and a couple of years ago with Ati when i bought my current PC: i'd rather have one GPU that works to its full capacity all the time, instead of having to wait for someone to "unlock" performance that i've already paid for.

ICDP
08-20-2011, 10:03 PM
Judging by RoF's case (about two years before proper SLI/Xfire support, or was it more?), i guess it will be a long time coming before AMD provides a profile.

Crossfire worked prefectly in Rise of Flight right after initial release, I had it working on 2X HD4870s. It was broken in a subsequent patch and eventually after two years the devs got around to adding it back in.

Don't get me wrong, the fact that the graphics engine in CoD is under overhaul all the time is also delaying things, i just don't think that even when CoD is in a stable state we will have that much of attention by the GPU companies.

Agreed, the GPU companys will devote far more resources to the next AAA title than they ever will to a flight sim.

It's the main reason i always go for single card setups, both in the past with nVidia and a couple of years ago with Ati when i bought my current PC: i'd rather have one GPU that works to its full capacity all the time, instead of having to wait for someone to "unlock" performance that i've already paid for.

Crossfire/SLI work great for the majority of games even without the need for special profiles. My experience has been that if it isn't working then the developers are usualy at fault due to inexperience or plain bad coding. As long as the coders stick to GPU API guidelines SLI/Crossfire will work. Profiles are usualy added to improve already existing performance, or in rare cases to turn off multi GPU support to avoid issues solely caused by poor coding on the part of the developers.

Multi GPU can be a very cheap and effective way of getting better than next gen graphics performance at a fraction of the cost. Admittedly it is easier to ensure a hassle free experience if you go with a single card setup.