PDA

View Full Version : Aircraft Simulation

mattag08
08-15-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm curious if there are any plans to ever make a simulation of aircraft on the scale of A2A Simulations' Accusim FSX products.

If you've never experienced A2A's Accusim aircraft, it is really impressive how detailed they were with each aircraft they have replicated. Even systems like the oxygen, hydraulic, and pneumatic systems are faithfully recreated. Times, pressures, temperatures, sounds, and movement have all been precisely recreated to make you feel like you're actually flying the real airplane.

The only problem is that FSX doesn't have a damage model or guns of course.

When when got the initial reports about what CloD would be, I was hoping it would be like these Accusim products, but with combat. I hope there are future plans to improve the aircraft systems in CloD, but if not I highly encourage the developers to test out the Accusim products and see what is possible in terms of aircraft recreation.

Blackdog_kt
08-16-2011, 02:02 AM
That's what i'd like too, but if we ever do get them modeled to such an extent (which i somehow doubt) it will be a very long time in the making and probably due to the users modding it themselves.

The reasons are very simple, cost vs time: an FSX add-on containing a single aircraft plus the accusim pack (no terrain or other environmental stuff, just that one single aircraft) can cost as much as the entire CoD sim.

At the same time, focusing on just one aircraft at a time lets the A2A developers really dig up everything they can about it and the higher "per unit" price allows them to go to an airfield, pay the fuel and maintenance cost to run someone's engines up and flick through the switches in the cockpit while recording it with audio equipment.

On the other hand, 1C has to fit 12 times the flyables plus quite a few AI units and the terrain engine into a package that costs a similar amount of money and is distributed through middle-men companies that skim a share of the profits.

In other words, if we were paying $200 for a game like CoD then maybe 1C could hire enough people to provide accusim-style flyables for us at a timely fashion.

I'm not against the idea of having parts of civilian flight sims (the weather and systems management elements) and combat sims (the accurate FM/DM) integrated into one package (i was a huge fan of the idea while CoD was still under development), but i think that due to the difference in business models employed it's not very realistic to expect a seamless transition just yet: we currently do have a bit of FSX and IL2 mixed together on a new simulator engine, but not the whole of what both parts can offer.

Let's hope we'll gradually get there as the series progresses ;-)

Vengeanze
08-16-2011, 05:44 AM
1C has to model the surrondings aswell. A2A has a platform already.

esmiol
08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
don't forget that plane of A2A you don't have to simulate the damage because of hit.

not hard to do a realistic plane just for flight sim but harder to make plane for combat flight sim.

or yes it is possible... but don't whine if you must have to put all the settings to low because of the ressources needed in more!

Redroach
08-16-2011, 11:23 AM
but generally, I believe 1C has, or at least Oleg had, the same goals the OP describes. For WW2 combat simulations, CoD should be ahead in terms of realism (if everything gets fixed), though things like oxygen etc. are left out because of the reasons you mentioned... there's a damage model and countless other things to implement, too.

Vengeanze
08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
In the Blenheim you can prime the engine but not in the fighters.
As the function is in the game already perhaps we'll get the pump primer in the fighters too eventually. :-D
Can't imagine we will ever get to load catridges but I can live without that part.

Redroach
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
the hurricane has a primer pump, too...