PDA

View Full Version : Joy and fustration

lastchance
08-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Is there any way one can say start on the ground in a Spit as I wish to learn how to start up and fly, the manual is no help and with a clickable cockpit you would think they would put something in the manual.

I have take off and landing ticked for missins but seems to be not working.

Man this sim fustrates me some times 6 years in the making and the manual is a joke infact I downloaded my copy of COD and could not find a manual in the steam folder or a keyboared layout and still can't find a keyboard layout.

Now the good news my install is working just great and wow the graphics are out of this world now if I could just learn how to fly a Spit (without a 109 on my tail) in free flight.

I just had an idea could some kind person make me a quick mission with a Spit on the runway anywear in England in good weather and post the mission so I could download it then put it in my game, I have no idea how the full mission works thats not in the manual eather.

Phazon
08-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Go to Singleplayer -> Quick Mission.

Select the "Cross Country" mission. By default it has the Blenheim but you can easily change it in the Quick Mission menu to any aircraft you want. It will start you off on an airfield where you can practice away with no enemies to worry about.

whoarmongar
08-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Well first things first hey.

If you want to start on the ground change the mission , try "cross country"

Click the aircraft to change from Blenheim to you spit or hurricane

If you want to start your engines etc select CEM (complex engine managment)

Now its probably best to start assigning keys, its easier faster and more direct than clicking around the cockpit, later once you have the hang of it you can use the clickable cockpit if you wish.

Throttle and prop pitch and fuel mix are most important, I assume you have a throttle on your flightstick, but assign prop pitch and fuel mix to prominent positions, your going to be using them a lot. Mine are on my hat switches of my flight stick and I find this works for me.

Once sitting on the runway with your silent engines wondering how to start her up the following controls are needed , either learn where they are or assign them to your favoured keys

magnetos both on,
fuel on
radiator open
prop fine pitch
mix rich
throttle about 10-15% (I dont know the true figure, for me its all the way back less a finger thickness)
engine start (default i)

So you see its not complex at all really is it, in fact its easy, all your really doing is setting mix and pitch and throttle (this will become second nature within hours) pressing four keys mag1, mag2, fuelcock on, open rad. and then "I" to start your engine.

Warm your engines before trying to take off

keep on the brakes to stop it moving (yawing) whilst sitting there.

now your ready to take off

have fun.

senseispcc
08-14-2011, 11:14 AM
Try this mission it is simple and easy to use just copy it after reading the readme file.

http://airwarfare.com/sow/index.php?option=com_jdownloads&Itemid=53&view=viewdownload&catid=7&cid=136

Have a fun game.:-D

lastchance
08-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Thank you guys (or gals) very kind of you.

JG53Frankyboy
08-14-2011, 02:41 PM
magnetos both on,

pressing four keys mag1, mag2, ............................

the magnetos are set to on AUTOMATICLY as soon you hit 'I'.

No need to activate them manually before.

whoarmongar
08-14-2011, 06:58 PM
Damn so they are.... this combined with not having to prime the carb further degrades this sim when so called complex engine management is selected.
I rather like switches on carb priming and pressing the start button, then checking magneto drop, it all adds to the immersion.
Still I guess it is what it is.

katdogfizzow
08-14-2011, 09:50 PM
Here's 4 training missions that start you on the ground so you can focus on engine management, takeoffs and safely delivering your plane to a nearby airfield with no enemy. Be sure to turn your mirror off for better FPS on takeoffs.

1-Hurricane I
2-Spitfire I
3-Bf 109E
4-Stuka (with practice ordinance drop)

http://www.gamefront.com/files/20675096/training_missions.zip