PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane reserve fuel Tank?

SEE
08-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Ho do you enable the reserve fuel tank on the Hurricane?

whoarmongar
08-14-2011, 01:43 AM
try pressing fuel cock key again ?

SEE
08-14-2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks.. I will have a look around the cockpit - pretty sure there is a sequence of actions. I will see if I can suss it!

Blackdog_kt
08-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Fuel cocks can either be mapped to keyboard/stick buttons which gives you "next/previous" setting control, or directly clicked on with the mouse which cycles them clockwise through all positions.

In the latter case, this means it might go through the "off" position but as long as you click fast one more time there's not enough time for the engine to seize, it might just sputter for a second but it keeps running.

The fuel selector switch on the Hurricane is on the lower left side of the cockpit, a circular base with a rotating handle on top.

SEE
08-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Thanks chaps! The reserve tank selection is on the fuel cock lever but to see the contents of the reserve tank you need to flick the switch above the gauge and it then displays the reserve tank. As you would expect, you need to set your fuel load to max to get a full reserve tank of about 25 gallons.

Les
08-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the tip about enabling the reserve amount to show up on the fuel gauge, didn't know that.

I found out you can switch to the reserve fuel tank last time I was online. Was in a Hurricane, coming back from a long sortie over France, when the engine started spluttering within sight of the English coast. I looked at the fuel gauge, saw it was on empty and realized what was happening. Was preparing to ditch in the sea, when I thought, hang on...what happens if I switch to the reserve tanks? Sure enough, the engine started running smooth again and I was able to make it back to base alright. If I'd known I could make the fuel gauge show the reserve tanks' level I would have done so. I actually wondered at the time how I was supposed to know how much reserve fuel was left, but just figured it was a given amount of flying time that the real pilots would have been taught and which I didn't know.