PDA

View Full Version : Juking AI

smink1701
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
I know this has been covered to some extent here but I was in a SP mission yesterday chasing a 109. I let the plane get away and just watched it fly about a mile in front of me. It was juking, shaking, flapping it's wings, etc...and I never fired a shot. The impression was very strange, you would never get the impression that a real person was at the controls but more like a RC plane with a newbie at the controls. Takes you right out of the moment. Anyone else seeing this?

connie
08-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Yes.

xnomad
08-12-2011, 12:04 AM
The other day I was online and following a bomber who was high above me. I was in a Spit and going by the leader board I thought the plane was a human flown Ju 88 but he was so high up and far that I couldn't ID him.

As I got closer he suddenly (unprovoked as I was still very far away) did a barrel roll and an extreme dive, then pulled out into a high G turn. Yep that can only be an AI plane, when I got closer it turned out to be a Wellington, this two engined bomber was putting my Spit's flying characteristics to shame....
If I remember correctly I think I took a shot at him as I was so pissed off....

ChocsAway
08-12-2011, 12:50 AM
I know this has been covered to some extent here but I was in a SP mission yesterday chasing a 109. I let the plane get away and just watched it fly about a mile in front of me. It was juking, shaking, flapping it's wings, etc...and I never fired a shot. The impression was very strange, you would never get the impression that a real person was at the controls but more like a RC plane with a newbie at the controls. Takes you right out of the moment. Anyone else seeing this?

As an offline player I've given up on Clod for the time being because of the above crazy AI behaviour. It's a huge immersion killer for me, even more so than the 'clunky' graphics engine (to be fixed hopefully) and the numerous other problems. If I remember correctly the AI hasn't always been this bad and I think I'm right in saying that one of the fairly early patches 'borked' it good and proper and it has yet to be fixed.

I've installed IL2 1946 with the HSFX 5.01 mod and am really enjoying it until Clod becomes the sim it should be however far down the line. Here's hoping that the devs give some priority to fixing the dreadful AI for us offline players. Unfortunately, if they don't I'll be spending my flght sim time elsewhere.

buddye
08-12-2011, 02:41 AM
After a few weeks (18 hours) of playing mostly quick missions, I have yet to be shot down by an AI A/C. I was shot down by the rear gunners (both the 110 and JU87 by lucky engine shots) and by friendly fire. As an off-line player, the AI performance IMHO is just not very good (actually really bad).

The AI dog fighting performance is my biggest disappointment but I may be in the minority. I hope that developer priority will be applied to improve the off-line AI dog fighting performance in the coming update patches.

ChocsAway
08-12-2011, 08:59 AM
+1 Buddye! The Clod devs should take a look at the BoB2 WOV AI and pick up a few tips. ;)

Mysticpuma
08-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Wow, high buddeye, great to see you over here.

It still stands that the greatest offline fight I ever had with AI was in your "BoB2 WOV".

I eneded up with the AI getting into a rolling scissors with me before I managed to down him. Truly impressive AI and the best I have ever played against, I wish it could be installed here as currently it is the dame AI behaviour from IL2:1946 which sees the enemy AI 'spotting' you approach from the blind 6 position then go into the furious barrel roll routine until it puills at on the deck and then races away....ridiculous!

Anyway, agree the AI for offline players should be sorted but heck there are so many things to fix...it's just a case of waiting your turn!

Cheers, MP

buddye
08-12-2011, 05:23 PM
Wow, high buddeye, great to see you over here.

It still stands that the greatest offline fight I ever had with AI was in your "BoB2 WOV".

I eneded up with the AI getting into a rolling scissors with me before I managed to down him. Truly impressive AI and the best I have ever played against, I wish it could be installed here as currently it is the dame AI behaviour from IL2:1946 which sees the enemy AI 'spotting' you approach from the blind 6 position then go into the furious barrel roll routine until it puills at on the deck and then races away....ridiculous!

Anyway, agree the AI for offline players should be sorted but heck there are so many things to fix...it's just a case of waiting your turn!

Cheers, MP

Thanks for the kind words on the BOBII AI which has been a long term labor of love. I just love the COD GFX and damage model and maybe the developers will sort the AI so the off-line dog fights will be fun. I know the fix list is long and the manpower/skills are limited but the AI should get some priority, IMHO.

Robert
08-12-2011, 08:05 PM
Do I remember correctly or is this a dream. Luthier mentioned that someone from the BoB:WoV will be or is working on the CoD AI.

Not to throw fuel on a burning ember, but I liked the AI from BoB:WoV. I preferred the esthetics and overall look of IL2 much better, but it's AI has been crap since 4.02. Sometimes it was downright infuriating with the stupid things it was able to do.... or in some cases not do.