PDA

View Full Version : Weather

_RAAF_Mini
08-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Is there any weather in this game other than sunshine and poofy clouds?

If so can we see some? Would love to have some of videos or screenies showing what flying is like in crosswinds or if the rain runs down the windscreen when stationary and if it runs down the canopy in flight.

Is it fully implemented, as in, does it work or does the weather too need patching?

Cheers

S!
Mini

JG52Krupi
08-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Is there any weather in this game other than sunshine and poofy clouds?

If so can we see some? Would love to have some of videos or screenies showing what flying is like in crosswinds or if the rain runs down the windscreen when stationary and if it runs down the canopy in flight.

Is it fully implemented, as in, does it work or does the weather too need patching?

Cheers

S!
Mini

I have heard of a weather system but I don't think it works well atm so its on the rework list I believe.

http://www.raf74.com/forums/showthread.php?895-Dynamic-weather-is-problematic-with-CoD-now-player-option

katdogfizzow
08-10-2011, 06:55 PM
I have heard of a weather system but I don't think it works well atm so its on the rework list I believe.

http://www.raf74.com/forums/showthread.php?895-Dynamic-weather-is-problematic-with-CoD-now-player-option

Sweet..the future of this game looks very promising

Jaws2002
08-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Some parts of the new weather engine are included "as is" in the "Full Mission Builder" and can be used (at your own risk:grin:).
The module is still buggy, the rain isn't working, the GUI is a mess and can crash in a heart bit, but is fun to experiment with it.:)

You can try it for yourself. The "Local Weather" tab in the object list gives you access to few things. Play with them and see what you can do.
I can't wait for that part of the game, together with the new clouds to be included in the sim. To me the clouds and sky make the flying such a unic form of travel, and a flying sim should pay top priority to the things that make flying so beautiful.

Doc_uk
08-10-2011, 08:12 PM
I think were in for a long wait
Another 7 years comes to mind:rolleyes:

connie
08-10-2011, 08:29 PM

The future looks bright! Must not take eyes off the bright shiny thing, must not take eyes off.......:shock:

Strike
08-10-2011, 09:14 PM
I believe they plan to model a quite dynamic atmosphere. From earlier WIP dev commentary vids I recall clouds having thermal winds drifting upwards, the cliffs of dover creating a wall of vertical wind if the direction faced the cliffs, other aircraft creating turbulence/propwash in the wake of their paths etc..

It's all down the pipeline, but like they also stated, current hardware cannot cope with the calculatation of all these factors. Basically this sim is striving to re-create dynamic physics true to life to really take everything to the "next level".

I feel CloD is the only flightsim out there currently pushing the frontline in the simming community. They're really setting new milestones with their technology, both weapons, damage, physics, weather etc. Most games these days care about these few things : Pretty graphics, fast paced action and movie-theatre sounds. I respect the developers seperating from the mainstream willing to try something groundbreaking in a field many has already labeled as ancient history, namely flightsims.

_RAAF_Mini
08-10-2011, 09:23 PM
Sounds very promising then!

Living in England i know for a fact that our summer is never so predictable!

Will enjoy having a play once it's installed and "eventually" fully operational =]

BigC208
08-10-2011, 09:41 PM

I bought the Russian version while awaiting the US release. Running it on my duo core 6600 at 3.4ghz has me decided to buy the US version. It looks and flies great over the water but over land and with clouds enabled it's a slide show. Also many crashes to the point that it spoils the fun of even looking at all the eye candy.

I'll buy the US edition just to support the team but will leave it in the box untill's it's patched up to the point that it makes sense for me to get a new computer to run it properly. Dynamic weather was one of the things that really piqued my interest. It's a big part of what got me into real world aviation.

I, for one, will be happy if in 7 years this sim reaches it's potential. Untill then keep your fingers crossed that the hardware needed will arrive sooner than that.

skouras
08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
I believe they plan to model a quite dynamic atmosphere. From earlier WIP dev commentary vids I recall clouds having thermal winds drifting upwards, the cliffs of dover creating a wall of vertical wind if the direction faced the cliffs, other aircraft creating turbulence/propwash in the wake of their paths etc..

It's all down the pipeline, but like they also stated, current hardware cannot cope with the calculatation of all these factors. Basically this sim is striving to re-create dynamic physics true to life to really take everything to the "next level".

I feel CloD is the only flightsim out there currently pushing the frontline in the simming community. They're really setting new milestones with their technology, both weapons, damage, physics, weather etc. Most games these days care about these few things : Pretty graphics, fast paced action and movie-theatre sounds. I respect the developers seperating from the mainstream willing to try something groundbreaking in a field many has already labeled as ancient history, namely flightsims.

totally agreed

Vengeanze
08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Did they really fly in bad weather? If not then why make a mission with rain and overcast just to be grounded? ;-)

robtek
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM
Did they really fly in bad weather? If not then why make a mission with rain and overcast just to be grounded? ;-)

You might look up the movie "First light", the starting scene.

Phazon
08-11-2011, 12:38 AM
I think alot of the mathematical and actual coding work has been done, you can see hints of it in the FMB. There is what appears to be a weather map overlay option although it doesn't do anything and there is also a weather menu with a flow and wind generator.

At the moment all you can really do is choose from 3 generic cloud cover types and set the height which is a shame but this is one of the key reasons the graphics engine is getting its overhaul is so they get the overhead to add more complex systems in. :)

catito14
08-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Take a break mate, your pessimism really tire.:-|

Les
08-12-2011, 05:20 PM
I bought the Russian version while awaiting the US release...I'll buy the US edition just to support the team but will leave it in the box untill's it's patched up to the point that it makes sense for me to get a new computer to run it properly...

Surely you'd want to at least check what the game's like now? A lot of people have seen quite an improvement since the initial release of the Russian version.

------

About the beta clouds and weather in the FMB, it's not just being a resource hog that makes them practically unuseable. They do show some potential, but they are very underdeveloped imo.

I made a long and boring video a while back that, with very selective editing, showed off some of the beta clouds features - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DwZGxbRLIU

This shorter one was less buggy. It was an attempt at lowering the clouds down low enough to imitate an overcast effect. I liked the way it almost looked like rain was falling in the distance where the clouds touched the water. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPFZ3J1BF2c&feature=related

Someone made some missions using the FMB clouds too, but I never got around to playing them so I don't know if they're worth searching out.

senseispcc
08-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Not the first time someone ask the same questions.