PDA

View Full Version : Baking aircraft variants.

ATAG_Doc
08-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Luthier said "We have quite a few new aircraft variants in the oven".

Does anyone know what is in the works? Is there anything exciting coming with these tasty new weapons?? Anything that punches really big holes into targets??

Bewolf
08-08-2011, 09:10 PM

Does anyone know what is in the works? Is there anything exciting coming with these tasty new weapons?? Anything that punches really big holes into targets??

Yes, this:

http://www.jannousiainen.net/photo_gallery/luftwaffe_ammunition/mg_ffm_he_01.jpg

skouras
08-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Hi timej31..
personally i would like to see the E4 [with mineshells] and the MK1a with a CSP
Hopefully we will gonna see and the E7
also i'm waiting to see the new german trains that Lithier's said

ElAurens
08-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Hopefully a Hawk 75, some Bloch bombers, and a D 520 so we can do Battle of France.

JG53Frankyboy
08-08-2011, 11:16 PM
lol

Mr_Steven
08-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Mustang pilots used to bounce .50's off the ground into the bellies of German tanks and flip them right over, so hopefully some Mustangs.

catito14
08-09-2011, 02:25 AM
Hi timej31..
personally i would like to see the E4 [with mineshells] and the MK1a with a CSP
Hopefully we will gonna see and the E7
also i'm waiting to see the new german trains that Lithier's said

Agree, a BoB planes era will be great, instead of the BoFrance that we have now. :rolleyes:

Avimimus
08-09-2011, 02:46 AM
Mustang pilots used to bounce .50's off the ground into the bellies of German tanks and flip them right over, so hopefully some Mustangs.

Er... no. Technically no.

However, I hold the possibility that they might have shot out water logged banks along "high roads" and caused a give-way under the weight of the tank (allowing it to roll into the ditch).

hiro
08-09-2011, 04:32 AM
Well everyone knows the popular planes are marinating, but the baked ones will probably more spit versions, a p-40, more italian birds, and more 109s

well with the Americans possessing cyrogenic metallurgy / cold steel manufacturing techniques

the germans / spanish with damascus steel and zero g manufacturing, and russians with their iron curtain® tech for near invincible armor

and the japanese with their steam punk / giant mecha (ground pwnage)

ww2 is an amazing showcase of tech

the best method is the super accurate rockets being shot down the tank's barrel. :-o

Feathered_IV
08-09-2011, 05:24 AM
Storch plz

furbs
08-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Er... no. Technically no.

However, I hold the possibility that they might have shot out water logged banks along "high roads" and caused a give-way under the weight of the tank (allowing it to roll into the ditch).

HES JOKING!!!(again) sense of humor fail!

Ctrl E
08-09-2011, 11:07 AM

actually not that far out.

Australian pilots flying mustangs in ground support roles during the early period of combat in korea managed to destroy north korean t-34s by bouncing their .50 rounds off the ground into the soft underside of the tank.
was rare but happened.

Strike
08-09-2011, 11:17 AM
Heinkel Lerche

Bewolf
08-09-2011, 11:24 AM
Well, who knows, maybe we will see this one day:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/114280d1188080655/westland-whirlwind.jpg

Tommy could really do well with a Destroyer like plane and all those bombers.

robtek
08-09-2011, 11:30 AM
actually not that far out.

Australian pilots flying mustangs in ground support roles during the early period of combat in korea managed to destroy north korean t-34s by bouncing their .50 rounds off the ground into the soft underside of the tank.
was rare but happened.

URBAN LEGEND!!!!!

The .50 cal AP, as used then in aircraft, can penetrate up to 20mm armor at about 100 yard and at a angle of 90°.
After passing aircraft-type aluminium sheeting only 10 mm.
The bottom armor of the T-34/85 is 20 mm.
No way in hell that a ricochet penetrates that.

robtek
08-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, who knows, maybe we will see this one day:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachments/114280d1188080655/westland-whirlwind.jpg

Tommy could really do well with a Destroyer like plane and all those bombers.

But that would be in a alternate history, so we could also get this:

http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/germany/fw-187.jpg

yellonet
08-09-2011, 11:43 AM
URBAN LEGEND!!!!!

The .50 cal AP, as used then in aircraft, can penetrate up to 20mm armor at about 100 yard and at a angle of 90°.
After passing aircraft-type aluminium sheeting only 10 mm.
The bottom armor of the T-34/85 is 20 mm.
No way in hell that a ricochet penetrates that.
Let's not start this again, I tend to think of it like this, it could have happened once or twice that a tank got disabled by .50 cal fire by some random fluke, bullets hitting an external fuel tank, burning fuel entering the exhaust and destroying the engine or whatever, anyway, it's not outside the realm of possibility.
BUT, it is so unlikely that in the sim it should be impossible.

Now back on topic?

What's cooking is probably some new variants of aircraft that we already have, that would seem the most logical.
But I'm hoping for the Beau and the Do 17 :)

Bewolf
08-09-2011, 11:44 AM
But that would be in a alternate history, so we could also get this:

http://www.aviastar.org/pictures/germany/fw-187.jpg

Eh, the Whirlwind was in active service from June 40, ample records of that till 1943 AFAIK, the Falke was only rumored to be active in Scandinavia, and only got into service in winter 40/41. Would be a great match-up for sure, however.

Kodoss
08-09-2011, 02:36 PM
It would be also nice to have the Blackburn Skua and Roc.
Since the Skua was The first plane who downed a Do 18 for the Fleet Air Arm.
Also it was active in Norway 1940 and in the Battle of Dunkirk.
They still fought until 1941 in the Mediterranean.

smink1701
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM

I hope Luthier is talking about new models vs very subtle varients of existing models. I don't get much our of additional versions where you can't really tell one from the other. I think this is true with the Bf. 109 E-1, which was included in the last patch. Can't tell a diff from the other models. Am I missing something???

VO101_Tom
08-09-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't get much our of additional versions where you can't really tell one from the other. I think this is true with the Bf. 109 E-1, which was included in the last patch. Can't tell a diff from the other models. Am I missing something???

weapons and engine.

Blackdog_kt
08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Variants of existing aircraft would be easier to make and they are still wanted by a lot in the community, for example:

1) Adding the constant speed prop variants for the Spit Mk.I and the 100 octane fuel variants for all RAF fighters. Keep what we have for battle of France scenarios since we have the map to use it.

2) Adding the 110 variants with the uprated engines and correcting the MG-FF ammunition and high speed behavior for all 110s.

If i had to go for AI-made-flyable my guess would be between a Do-17, Beaufighter or Wellington.

If i had to go for brand new ones, i'd be a bit imaginative and say Swordfish. Huge versatility with some very nice loadouts, useful for any future Mediterranean expansion, we can recreate some very famous historical missions with it (Taranto raid, sinking the Bismarck, unsuccessfully attacking the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau during the channel dash), it kept flying in the ASW role until the very end of the war and to put it all into context for what we currently have in the sim, it was active in the skies over Dunkirk during the evacuation.

Flying so slow that fighters have to drop gear and flaps to stay behind you, relying on stealth and maneuverability to survive, yet having a choice between torpedoes, bombs, flares and (in the later marks) rockets and radar, while at the same time being an open cockpit flying coffin...don't tell me that doesn't get you all pumped up :grin:

VO101_Tom
08-09-2011, 05:44 PM
...Flying so slow that fighters have to drop gear and flaps to stay behind you, relying on stealth and maneuverability to survive, yet having a choice between torpedoes, bombs, flares and (in the later marks) rockets and radar, while at the same time being an open cockpit flying coffin...don't tell me that doesn't get you all pumped up :grin:

Ahh, Swordfish... I had short, unforgettable, joyful experiences only with those aircrafts :rolleyes: (i was sitting in A-2 of course) :twisted:

skouras
08-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Variants of existing aircraft would be easier to make and they are still wanted by a lot in the community, for example:

1) Adding the constant speed prop variants for the Spit Mk.I and the 100 octane fuel variants for all RAF fighters. Keep what we have for battle of France scenarios since we have the map to use it.

2) Adding the 110 variants with the uprated engines and correcting the MG-FF ammunition and high speed behavior for all 110s.

If i had to go for AI-made-flyable my guess would be between a Do-17, Beaufighter or Wellington.

If i had to go for brand new ones, i'd be a bit imaginative and say Swordfish. Huge versatility with some very nice loadouts, useful for any future Mediterranean expansion, we can recreate some very famous historical missions with it (Taranto raid, sinking the Bismarck, unsuccessfully attacking the Scharnhorst and Gneisenau during the channel dash), it kept flying in the ASW role until the very end of the war and to put it all into context for what we currently have in the sim, it was active in the skies over Dunkirk during the evacuation.

Flying so slow that fighters have to drop gear and flaps to stay behind you, relying on stealth and maneuverability to survive, yet having a choice between torpedoes, bombs, flares and (in the later marks) rockets and radar, while at the same time being an open cockpit flying coffin...don't tell me that doesn't get you all pumped up :grin:

second to that